White Privilege thread

Quincy

Great read, I like the idea of actually listening to people's stories. It's easier to communicate with deaf people than racists.

chair

The letter was good. I grew up in Detroit, in a mixed neighborhood, got along well with our black neighbors (back then "black was beautiful"). I don't know if we had "white privilege" very much, as we were an ethnic minority ourselves, and honestly, I was rather young. Still, I can see that it was there.

I am quite perturbed by what I see in the US these days, from a distance ( I moved to Israel over 30 years ago). I do not believe in fast, easy solutions to these kinds of social problems- but it has been going on in one form or another for many generations.

I am also disappointed in Mr. Obama. I think that he has, or could have, a historic role in this regard. He should have flown to some of these trouble spots, like Ferguson, as a symbolic gesture to help calm things down.

edit: I have been thinking about it, and we did have a Black maid. I know my mother was very friendly with her, and kept in touch with her for decades after she stopped working for us- but nobody I knew had a white maid. There was a book or movie about that recently.

The Berean

The letter was good. I grew up in Detroit, in a mixed neighborhood, got along well with our black neighbors (back then "black was beautiful"). I don't know if we had "white privilege" very much, as we were an ethnic minority ourselves, and honestly, I was rather young. Still, I can see that it was there.

I am quite perturbed by what I see in the US these days, from a distance ( I moved to Israel over 30 years ago). I do not believe in fast, easy solutions to these kinds of social problems- but it has been going on in one form or another for many generations.

I am also disappointed in Mr. Obama. I think that he has, or could have, a historic role in this regard. He should have flown to some of these trouble spots, like Ferguson, as a symbolic gesture to help calm things down.
chair, where you grew up where Jews considered "white people"? The reason I ask is because of the incident of the NBA owner Donald Sterling who made disparaging remarks about the black people that attended his basketball games. Sterling was labeled as another racist rich "white man" even though Sterling is actually Jewish. But the media never really mentioned that Sterling was Jewish. White nationalist types jumped all over this as an another example of the "Jewish controlled" media (their words, not mine). I think white nationalism is crazy but I had to laugh when they couldn't understand why the "Jewish controlled" media attacked "one of their own". :rotfl:

Daniel1611

99% of the people calling themselves Jews are just white guys that have adopted a racist ideology. The Hebrews of Bible times were not white. And yes, the Bible says they were not white.

The Berean

99% of the people calling themselves Jews are just white guys that have adopted a racist ideology. The Hebrews of Bible times were not white. And yes, the Bible says they were not white.

I don't understand. Are you saying Judaism is a racist ideology? Also, hasn't the Jewish nation increase in diversity since Biblical times? For example Sephardi Jews are from Spain and Portugal. Perhaps chair can enlighten us.

chair

chair, where you grew up where Jews considered "white people"? The reason I ask is because of the incident of the NBA owner Donald Sterling who made disparaging remarks about the black people that attended his basketball games. Sterling was labeled as another racist rich "white man" even though Sterling is actually Jewish. But the media never really mentioned that Sterling was Jewish. White nationalist types jumped all over this as an another example of the "Jewish controlled" media (their words, not mine). I think white nationalism is crazy but I had to laugh when they couldn't understand why the "Jewish controlled" media attacked "one of their own". :rotfl:

I am not really sure. I was young. We knew that we were different, but I really couldn't say. I do know that my parents were very concerned during the McCarthy era, to the extent that they opened a bank account in Canada- just in case.

Granite

Hall of Fame
I am not really sure. I was young. We knew that we were different, but I really couldn't say. I do know that my parents were very concerned during the McCarthy era, to the extent that they opened a bank account in Canada- just in case.

From what I've gathered from my mother and aunt they definitely knew they were in a different category being Jewish. Still nowhere near the same as being black though.

chair

I don't understand. Are you saying Judaism is a racist ideology? Also, hasn't the Jewish nation increase in diversity since Biblical times? For example Sephardi Jews are from Spain and Portugal. Perhaps chair can enlighten us.

There are all sorts of Jews, ranging from Ethiopians to Europeans.
There are some people who don't like us for one reason or another, and are jealous of our being the People of the Book and so on, so they like to pretend that we aren't who we are.

I am part Sephradi, part Ashkenazi myself, from the tribe of Levi.

The Berean

There are all sorts of Jews, ranging from Ethiopians to Europeans.
There are some people who don't like us for one reason or another, and are jealous of our being the People of the Book and so on, so they like to pretend that we aren't who we are.

I am part Sephradi, part Ashkenazi myself, from the tribe of Levi.

A cousin of mine did some genealogical research on our family name. According to him we had a Sephardi Jew ancestor who immigrated from Spain to Mexico in the middle of the 16th century. My last name is very uncommon in Mexico but is more common in Puerto Rico.

Daniel1611

We don't need anyone to enlighten us. This is a clear biblical doctrine. The nation of Israel was always a diverse group of races. People could become Jews and worship the God of Jacob regardless of race.

There was a sect inside Israel that decided to create Judaism, a religion of the rabbis, the Pharisees and the Talmud. Not a religion if the OT. This religion teaches that the Jews are the master race. So yes, I say Judaism is not based on the OT. It is based on the Talmud. It is a racist ideology and a false religion. For they have taken up the star of their god Remphan.

The Berean

I taught my black kids that their elite upbringing would protect them from discrimination. I was wrong.

I knew the day would come, but I didn’t know how it would happen, where I would be, or how I would respond. It is the moment that every black parent fears: the day their child is called a n***er.

My wife and I, both African Americans, constitute one of those Type A couples with Ivy League undergraduate and graduate degrees who, for many years, believed that if we worked hard and maintained great jobs, we could insulate our children from the blatant manifestations of bigotry that we experienced as children in the 1960s and ’70s.

We divided our lives between a house in a liberal New York suburb and an apartment on Park Avenue, sent our three kids to a diverse New York City private school, and outfitted them with the accoutrements of success: preppy clothes, perfect diction and that air of quiet graciousness. We convinced ourselves that the economic privilege we bestowed on them could buffer these adolescents against what so many black and Latino children face while living in mostly white settings: being profiled by neighbors, followed in stores and stopped by police simply because their race makes them suspect.

But it happened nevertheless in July, when I was 100 miles away.