White Lives Matter

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
The left is simply tragic, having lost its moral compass with Roe, even if they didn't actually give the nation abortion (that was the gift of the Republican appointed majority on the Court....Town

There is a reason they did this. Read the link i posted.

https://www.google.com/amp/townhall...1/high_court_and_low_politics_part_iii?client
Yeah, I've heard that one before. It's a bit self-serving. Kennedy weak? He was willing to take abuse from the left and the right. The weakness is in a partisan who feels the need to do what so many on the right have done to their own for failure to toe a rigid ideological line. And the right eats it up because when someone "fails" them then it's not their fault. No, they were betrayed by RINOs and so forth.

It's the next best thing to being able to directly fault the left for Roe.

Here's an example of the sort of writing that reflects the worst of partisan hackery from the article you note:

Although Supreme Court justices have lifetime tenure, precisely in order to give them independence, nothing can give anyone the backbone and character to stand up to criticism or to resist the blandishments of flattery and lionizing.

Yet the right is as guilty as anyone of both praising and damning along their own ideological lines. And they have had the number one news source on cable to promote it.

ClimateSanity

Yeah, I've heard that one before. It's a bit self-serving. Kennedy weak? He was willing to take abuse from the left and the right. The weakness is in a partisan who feels the need to do what so many on the right have done to their own for failure to toe a rigid ideological line. And the right eats it up because when someone "fails" them then it's not their fault. No, they were betrayed by RINOs and so forth.

It's the next best thing to being able to directly fault the left for Roe.

Here's an example of the sort of writing that reflects the worst of partisan hackery from the article you note:

Although Supreme Court justices have lifetime tenure, precisely in order to give them independence, nothing can give anyone the backbone and character to stand up to criticism or to resist the blandishments of flattery and lionizing.

Yet the right is as guilty as anyone of both praising and damning along their own ideological lines. And they have had the number one news source on cable to promote it.

Why is it Democrat appointed justices never change over time except to move further left? Its because they dont receive the criticism and mockery from left wing writers from the NYT like greenhouse did. The right does criticize judges but they are ineffective in changing justices simply because their opinion matters very little in the world justices live in.

ClimateSanity

Kennedy weak? He was willing to take abuse from the left and the right......Town.

How long did he take the abuse? Not long. Really strong minded justices like Scalia and Thomas have received even stronger abuse but it deterred them not one whit. They are now considered idiots or worse among the DC establishment and evidently by you as well. Its funny how you fail to categorize justices like gins urg for being just as rigid and unchanging as Scalia. Evidently you dont see left wing thought as ideological.....just the way things are.

Arthur Brain

A a white supremacist racist that is bonkers with no compassion and is ok with rape and has a bad memory.

Then you've either taken leave of your senses or are quite happy to just lie. You know damn well I supported you where it came to all of those poxy rape threads so if you can't acknowledge that then just get on with it Tam.

Arthur Brain

i'm not interested in your attention, that's just you and your over-inflated sense of your own worth

i'm perfectly content to best your silly posts without getting a response from you at all :idunno:

feel free to put me back on ignore

Hang on, don't you ignore 95% of TH's posts anyway?

:think:

Silly little crank.

:mock: SOD

Arthur Brain

Which is why you've been banned from TOL for stalking me. Why you've made threads about me. Why you tend to follow me about and why a good quarter or better of your posts are about me. Why your signature is about me.

You have an unhealthy obsession. When people who like you tell you to stop and you don't, when the owner of the place who is often in agreement with your position has to kick you to the curb over your methodology and tells you that you have this problem and it changes nothing...that's the simple truth.

The next line is what makes this one funny:

:D

Nah. I think you prefer it because you can set up a lie for a context then wave that flag at yourself, like you just did.

I'll pick and choose when and how to answer you. Have a good one, Sod.

Careful, he'll up his response rate to you where it might even reach double figure percentages...!

:shocked:

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Why is it Democrat appointed justices never change over time except to move further left?

Its because they dont receive the criticism and mockery from left wing writers from the NYT like greenhouse did. The right does criticize judges but they are ineffective in changing justices simply because their opinion matters very little in the world justices live in.
Here's a link to a scholarly treatment from Berkeley that agrees Justices tend to shift over time (link).

After reviewing the relevant commentary in Part II, we deploy stateof-the-artmethods to address these questions. The results, as it turns out, could not be clearer:Contrary to the received wisdom, virtually every justice serving since the 1930s has moved to theleft or right or, in some cases, has switched directions several times.​

Expectations are often satisfied:

These are the very patterns we observe in Figure 1.41 Indeed, with only scattered exceptions(e.g., the unexpected liberal voting of Harry Blackmun), press characterizations prior to appointmentturn out to be remarkably good predictors of future voting. To take one example, RuthBader Ginsburg reaches liberal decisions in about 60 percent of the Court’s cases—almost exactlythe percentage we would expect from a justice with her moderately left-of-center political outlook.Likewise, Antonin Scalia, assessed by all newspaper editors as a conservative at the time of hisnomination, votes precisely as that label would suggest, reaching right-of-center results in almostseven out of every ten cases he decides​

But the authors understand the arguments of those who argue that you must observe votes along terms to see the shift they purport. After addressing the problems with that approach:

Using data derived from thevotes cast by the justices and a Bayesian modeling strategy, they have generated term-by-termideal point estimates for all the justices appointed since the 1937 term—estimates that attend tovariation in case content. In other words, using the Martin-Quinn approach we can offer intrajusticecomparisons (e.g., is Justice Souter more liberal now than he was in 1992?) without havingto consider whether the changes we observe are the result of differences in the content of cases orchanges in the justice’s revealed preferences.86​

While a number of justices did indeed begin to list to the left over time, your author is incorrect in citing that as the trend. While Warren, Souter, Rehnquist, O'Conner and yes, Kennedy, trended left--

For now, consider those justices who, incontrast to Rehnquist and the others, trended to the right. Falling into this category, as we can seein Figure 7, are Justices Hugo Black, Harold Burton, Felix Frankfurter, Robert Jackson, StanleyReed, Antonin Scalia, and Byron White.​

Eleven of the twenty six justices became more liberal over their tenure. Several shifted right. And a number went left and right over their tenure. Only four remained fairly constant.

So what we can say is that justices are more likely to move left, but that a significant percentage will move right and many will move a bit in either direction over time, with the least statistically significant group remaining constant (around 15%).

ClimateSanity

Here's a link to a scholarly treatment from Berkeley that agrees Justices tend to shift over time (link).

After reviewing the relevant commentary in Part II, we deploy stateof-the-artmethods to address these questions. The results, as it turns out, could not be clearer:Contrary to the received wisdom, virtually every justice serving since the 1930s has moved to theleft or right or, in some cases, has switched directions several times.​

Expectations are often satisfied:

These are the very patterns we observe in Figure 1.41 Indeed, with only scattered exceptions(e.g., the unexpected liberal voting of Harry Blackmun), press characterizations prior to appointmentturn out to be remarkably good predictors of future voting. To take one example, RuthBader Ginsburg reaches liberal decisions in about 60 percent of the Court’s cases—almost exactlythe percentage we would expect from a justice with her moderately left-of-center political outlook.Likewise, Antonin Scalia, assessed by all newspaper editors as a conservative at the time of hisnomination, votes precisely as that label would suggest, reaching right-of-center results in almostseven out of every ten cases he decides​

But the authors understand the arguments of those who argue that you must observe votes along terms to see the shift they purport. After addressing the problems with that approach:

Using data derived from thevotes cast by the justices and a Bayesian modeling strategy, they have generated term-by-termideal point estimates for all the justices appointed since the 1937 term—estimates that attend tovariation in case content. In other words, using the Martin-Quinn approach we can offer intrajusticecomparisons (e.g., is Justice Souter more liberal now than he was in 1992?) without havingto consider whether the changes we observe are the result of differences in the content of cases orchanges in the justice’s revealed preferences.86​

While a number of justices did indeed begin to list to the left over time, your author is incorrect in citing that as the trend. While Warren, Souter, Rehnquist, O'Conner and yes, Kennedy, trended left--

For now, consider those justices who, incontrast to Rehnquist and the others, trended to the right. Falling into this category, as we can seein Figure 7, are Justices Hugo Black, Harold Burton, Felix Frankfurter, Robert Jackson, StanleyReed, Antonin Scalia, and Byron White.​

Eleven of the twenty six justices became more liberal over their tenure. Several shifted right. And a number went left and right over their tenure. Only four remained fairly constant.

So what we can say is that justices are more likely to move left, but that a significant percentage will move right and many will move a bit in either direction over time, with the least statistically significant group remaining constant (around 15%).

Just because something is described as scholarly, doesnt make it right. How do you explain five Republican justices voting for roe? I can. The left in 1973 was bound and determined to exert its will on our society and used everything at their disposal to create an environment that would put heavy pressure on weak minded justices.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Just because something is described as scholarly, doesnt make it right.
You literally didn't have time to read and process their methodology or conclusions, so I'm going to give you the ol "Whooo-ha" on this rebuttal from nada. On the whole, scholarly articles tend to endure peer review and examination and a great deal of consideration goes into them. In this case it's hard to make an argument over partisan influence. They don't really make anyone's day. What they do, with striking attention to the particulars that could skew results, is give a hard look at both assumption and the means to test it.

You should read it first, then attempt to differ or criticize if you still feel compelled. Unlike a man trying to sell a book to an audience, they appear mostly concerned with uncovering the truth of the thing, which will both satisfy and irk you, as the truth can often do.

How do you explain five Republican justices voting for roe? I can. The left in 1973 was bound and determined to exert its will on our society and used everything at their disposal to create an environment that would put heavy pressure on weak minded justices.
That's as silly as what your author wrote for a number of reasons beginning with the idea of "pressure" on life appointed justices whose reputations were established before they arrived on the Court. It's an insulting and simplistic view that smacks of the sort of rote dismissal I've noted on the RINO issue, the way some on the hard right insulate themselves from failure or understanding by application of the no true Scottsman approach to politics and its variances.

You really should read the paper.

ClimateSanity

That's as silly as what your author wrote for a number of reasons beginning with the idea of "pressure" on life appointed justices whose reputations were established before they arrived on the Court....Town

So, you're saying their reputation is unchangeable by the time they reach SCOTUS? Their reputation in whose eyes are you referring to? What else is silly about my claim and the article?

Grosnick Marowbe

Hall of Fame
Have you been checked for head trauma? Because head trauma can produce a lot of symptoms that would explain your half of this conversation.

Sasquatches are so sensitive.

It seems there's a shortage of "Grey Matter" on your end of the conversation. I wonder why that is? Oh wait, I just figured it out. Well, I guess it doesn't really MATTER, accept in the GREY areas.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
So, you're saying their reputation is unchangeable by the time they reach SCOTUS? Their reputation in whose eyes are you referring to? What else is silly about my claim and the article?
I said a few things. The most important thing I said was that you started in on a thing you demonstrably hadn't read or considered, from methodology to conclusion. I suggested why that was a mistake. Then, on the lesser point, I'm saying two things are true. First, you've already reached the point where you are widely regarded within your profession, have established an impressive reputation as a jurist. Secondly, couple that regard with age and maturity, along with the lifetime appointment and you don't have a recipe that lends itself to momentary pressure from whatever vague social force you believe is conspiring to uniformly move justices to the left.