Which friend is more loving?

logos_x

satalien said:
Oh boy. I wanna play too.

Which friend is more loving:

Friend 1 is reading a book. He tells you that you must never, ever read that book (it would appear he doesn't want you to know what he knows).

Friend 2 says it is okay to read the book if you choose.

You think it might be okay to read the book. When you do, Friend 1 kicks you out of his house and says you can't come back in until you can prove that you will now do exactly what he says! (It's a sweet house too! With a pool.)

God is still on Plan A

logos_x

satalien said:
Holy cow. That's even better.

Now, as it turns out: Friend 1 cuts off your leg so that you can have the pleasure of using a brand new type of prosthetic he just invented! It's better than a leg. Really. :dizzy:

You really are not that dense, surely.

There ain't no cutting off the leg. As Adam and Eve were...they couldn't hate evil. They didn't know what it was. They wouldn't know God's goodness either.
We have to go through this to be what we are meant to be.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
logos_x said:
I agree.

However...how free is the "freewill" if one has lost their freedom?
Just as free as before!

Freewill and freedom are completely different.

Even when your choices become more limited your frewill is never removed, simply more limted.

logos_x

Knight said:
Just as free as before!

Freewill and freedom are completely different.

Even when your choices become more limited your frewill is never removed, simply more limted.

Ok...we apparently aren't on the same page on what "freewill" means.
I merely thnk calling it "freewill" is conveying an idea that it's all left up to us.
That isn't the case.

Just pain old "will" would be a small step in clearing that up...drop the "free", because it isn't "free", not until it is set free.

Just as free as before we're arrested? Try telling that to an inmate.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
logos_x said:
Just as free as before we're arrested? Try telling that to an inmate.
Wow!!! Logo's you are way off here (I must say I am a bit surprised).

Every-time you speak of freewill you are confusing it with freedom.

You might think of freedom as the degree of available choices or the degree of restraint.

Yet freewill is more like the ability to choose between two or more available choices.

In other words...
An inmates available choices are more limited than my choices are, but both of us have the freewill to choice between what is available for us.

satalien

BANNED
Banned
logos_x said:
You really are not that dense, surely.

There ain't no cutting off the leg. As Adam and Eve were...they couldn't hate evil. They didn't know what it was. They wouldn't know God's goodness either.
We have to go through this to be what we are meant to be.

I don't feel dense. The point of the clip you shared was that God put the disease (evil) in the world because he had the cure (Jesus) in mind.

I gotta go, I'm going to have a Vietnam flashback with all this burning the village to save it talk.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
allsmiles said:
In my experience the best friend would be the one who provides couches to sleep on.
:duh:

TRANSLATION: I'm the drunk.

Allsmiles.... keep in mind that this drunk person is attempting to leave with keys in hand.

allsmiles

Knight said:
:duh:

TRANSLATION: I'm the drunk.

Allsmiles.... keep in mind that this drunk person is attempting to leave with keys in hand.

I get drunk, I am not a drunk.

My friends and I use foresight to avoid situations like these. I guess that means I can't relate to your little scenario. People in the condition you've described aren't friends of mine.

I say let the idiot leave. Why violate his freewill? Heroism? Some high-handed self-righteous sense of obligation? I'm not in charge of this person, the person is in charge of himself. Whatever consequences might arise from him making what is obviously the irresponsible choice are his and his alone. He makes his bed, not me.

I guess what it boils down to is that I'm not a busy-body.

Outlaw

allsmiles said:
Whatever consequences might arise from him making what is obviously the irresponsible choice are his and his alone.

You're an idiot.

Picture 1... both killed by a drunk driver who had a friend like YOU!

Picture 2... killed on Christmas Eve by a drunk driver who had a friend like YOU.

CRASH

TOL Subscriber
Knight said:
Which friend is the more loving friend?

The friend who wrestles his drunk buddy to the ground and takes away his car keys and then blocks the door so that his (now furious :madmad: ) friend cannot leave the party intoxicated.

Or...?

The friend who tells his drunk buddy... "hey man... drive really careful and you will be fine. Later dude".

Which friend is the more loving friend?

The second guy. We all know that if you get harsh and try to stop someone from destroying a bunch of lives, you obviously hate them.:doh:

allsmiles

Outlaw said:
You're an idiot.

How pleasant. That's exactly what Jesus would have said, right?

Picture 1... both killed by a drunk driver who had a friend like YOU!

Picture 2... killed on Christmas Eve by a drunk driver who had a friend like YOU.

Go to hell :thumb:

I've already said that I don't involve myself with people like this in the first place. The person who killed those people is responsible, not his friends :nono: You're trying to play the blame game but you've failed to realize that I am responsible for myself first, not some drunk at a party who decides to run children down on his way home because he lacks self-control. This thread is off base because it attempts to negate the personal responsibility of the only person who is to be blamed. It's not about the friends, it's about the idiot who doesn't know his limits, it's about the drunken fool who never learned to control himself.

CRASH

TOL Subscriber
allsmiles said:
I get drunk, I am not a drunk.

My friends and I use foresight to avoid situations like these. I guess that means I can't relate to your little scenario. People in the condition you've described aren't friends of mine.

I say let the idiot leave. Why violate his freewill? Heroism? Some high-handed self-righteous sense of obligation? I'm not in charge of this person, the person is in charge of himself. Whatever consequences might arise from him making what is obviously the irresponsible choice are his and his alone. He makes his bed, not me.

I guess what it boils down to is that I'm not a busy-body.

What if your mom slit her wrists after seeing what a moron you turned out to be?
You walk in and she is still half alive.
You'll just let her die right?

allsmiles

CRASH said:
What if your mom slit her wrists after seeing what a moron you turned out to be?
You walk in and she is still half alive.
You'll just let her die right?

Completely different situation CRASH. Let's stick to the subject, shall we?

Outlaw

allsmiles said:
How pleasant. That's exactly what Jesus would have said, right?
He probably has a much stronger way of putting it.
Go to hell :thumb:
Yea, something like that! :thumb:
The person who killed those people is responsible, not his friends
Because he knows better, right?
You're trying to play the blame game but you've failed to realize that I am responsible for myself first, not some drunk at a party who decides to run children down on his way home because he lacks self-control.
That reminds me of a joke...

A terrorist walks into a crowded cafe - allsmiles walks out.

allsmiles

Outlaw said:
He probably has a much stronger way of putting it. Yea, something like that! :thumb:

:thumb:

Because he knows better, right? That reminds me of a joke...

A terrorist walks into a crowded cafe - allsmiles walks out.

I thought jokes are supposed to be funny...:think: