When does the biblical day begin?

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
Yes laid in the tomb after He was dead before He rose...you think it was before sundown...but weekly Sabbath began the following morning...the full moon assisted their labors

He went to Pilate and asked for the body of Jesus. Then he took it down, wrapped it in a linen cloth and placed it in a tomb cut out of the rock where no one had yet been buried.

It was the day of preparation and the Sabbath was beginning. (Luke 23:52-54 NET)​

And there you have it. The Sabbath began as Jesus was laid in the tomb.

WeberHome

-
POSIT: Nicodemus and Joseph of Arimathaea didn't have enough time to return to the city, locate Pilate, obtain an audience, round up a hundred-pound weight of spices, return to the crucifixion site, get the body down off the cross, and prepare it for burial all before sundown.

RESPONSE: Christ is recorded as expiring around the ninth hour (Matt 27:46-50, Mark 15:34-37, Luke 23:44-46) which corresponds to 3:00 pm. The Jews of that era began their civil day at 06:00 AM and wrapped at 06:00 PM, a total of twelve hours. (John 11:19). So his friends had three hours to go before the official end of daytime.

Jerusalem 2,000 years ago in Christ's era wasn't the sprawling metropolis it is now. If you check a National Geographic map of the old city's boundaries compared to the modern, you'll note a significant difference.

Some people seem to be under the impression that the site where Christ was crucified was a great journey from Jerusalem, but I've no doubt it was just outside town considering that condemned men had to lug crosses to their own executions after having been flogged and pummeled to within an inch of their lives, it's my guess the distance wasn't all that great or they wouldn't make it. (cf. John 19:1-3, Isa 52:14)

John 19:20 . . The place where Jesus was crucified was near the city

Finding and petitioning Pilate was the easy part. His palace was right next to the fortress of Antonia, which itself was situated near the Temple in Jerusalem and he readily agreed to release Jesus' body after confirming his demise; no argument.

And the cemetery itself was conveniently situated adjacent to the crucifixion site.

John 19:41-42 . . Now in the place where he was crucified there was a garden. There laid they Jesus

Critics don't think three hours is adequate, but that's their hang-up, not mine. There are always going to be skeptics about the events of Christ's crucifixion similar to those who cannot bring themselves to believe that Lee Harvey Oswald had enough time to get off all three of the shots fired at JFK; but to this day; no one has been able to prove he didn't.

POSIT: You fail to consider how long it would have taken to prepare the Lord's body. Tell me, have you ever washed up a dead body covered in blood etc to make it presentable?

RESPONSE: Christ was buried under severe time constraints because of the Jews' impending Passover which commenced that night at sundown . However; the Bible makes no mention that Jesus' friends made him "presentable" I mean, after all, they just wanted to get him buried before sundown; which is actually a requirement stipulated in the covenant that Yhvh's people agreed upon with God as per the Old Testament.

Deut 21:22-23 . . If a man guilty of a capital offense is put to death and his body is hung on a tree, you must not leave his body on the tree overnight. Be sure to bury him that same day, because anyone who is hung on a tree is under God's curse. (cf. Gal 3:13)

It wasn't their goal to groom the Lord for public viewing in a Vatican rotunda. In point of fact, they chose to bury him where they did to save time.

John 19:42 . . There laid they Jesus therefore because of the Jews' preparation day; for the sepulcher was nigh at hand.

/

daqq

I believe what I am convinced of and usually from scripture...this six hours creation thingy needs more explaination...so have at it...

I am sure someone is going to talk about the darkness that fell over the land as another night and day to pad the 3 x 3 numbers...

Wait for it...

Actually that is foretold right there in Exodus 14 where day turns to night and the Sea of Reeds is parted. But of course you would need to be at the other end of the week to see how it completes Pesakh-Matzot. ;)

S-word

BANNED
Banned
Actually that is foretold right there in Exodus 14 where day turns to night and the Sea of Reeds is parted. But of course you would need to be at the other end of the week to see how it completes Pesakh-Matzot. ;)

The day turned into darkness because around that time the volcanic Island of Santorini or Thira as it is also known, which was situated in the Aegean sea, on the Anatolian plate, which is subject to the forces of the over-riding African Plate that grinds against the Arabian plate in it’s Northern migration, exploded with many times the force of Krakatoa, which was a volcanic island that exploded in 1883, and that explosion was heard 5,000 kilometres away, and caused a tsunami that killed at least 36,000 people. It has been estimated that when the island of Santorini exploded, 35,000 kilometres of material was lifted into the stratosphere, and that the explosive force would have created tidal waves of anything up to 130ft high which would have travelled at speeds of around 150 miles per hour.

A cloud, that turned day into night around 1,500 BC, has been recorded in Chinese history, and would have covered all of north Africa.

The African and Arabian plates intersect in a line that runs through the Red Sea and up the Jordan valley through the Dead Sea, which was created hundreds of years before the explosion of Santorini, when violent underground activity destroyed the cities of Sodom and Gomorrah, which were then situated in the Jordan valley and in the days of Lot, that area was described, as like unto the garden of the Lord, with abundant fresh water flowing through it.

Look at the strange phenomenon that was occurring at the time of the Exodus. The cloud that blanketed north Africa and most of Europe, and turned day into a night so dark that a man was not able to recognise his own brother who was standing at arms length from him. The rain of sulfuric acid that caused so much crop failure and the death of the live stock which were forced to feed on the polluted pastures, the following series of shock waves along the great rift valley and the fractures in the Sini peninsular which is situated on the Arabian plate, the bulging of the earth’s crust beneath the Red Sea which caused a highway to rise from the waters, with it’s following tremor when it collapsed and tidal waves that rolled in like two walls of water on either side of where the highway had been.

Wisdom of Solomon 19: 7-8, ‘Then was beheld the cloud that shadowed the camp, and dry land rising up out of what was before water, Out of the Red sea an unhindered highway, and a grassy plain rising out of the violent surge.”

Look even where the Israelites camped on the shore of the Red sea, which was smack bang in the middle of a major coal field in Egypt. The bulging earth rising from the surging sea before them, pressurised gas screaming from the opening fissures creating towering pillars of fire to burn behind them, a strong east wind blew all that night causing the thick smoke to blind the pursuing Egyptians while lighting up the camp of the Israelites on the eastern side of those wild fires.

All these events were caused from pressures that had been built up over tens of thousands of years and would have occurred in their proper time, irrelevant of the Israeli situation. Where the miracle lay, was in the fact that an unseen deity was able, through his prophet Moses, to organise the events leading up to and including the exodus itself at the precise time in history that this cataclysmic event occurred .

Solomon has much to say about the days of Moses; he speaks of the strange hails that fell from heaven. Burning balls of frozen gases, some with the ability to burn even in water, some which burned with a heat so intense that they incinerated anything they came in contact with, while other hail, burned with a cold fire through which animals could walk unharmed.

Different gases burn with different heat.

Solomon also speaks of the cloud that covered the Israelites in the desert and of the Manna that fell from heaven during the night. According to Solomon, the heavenly covering was a cloud by day and a host of stars by night, (a night sky ablaze with falling balls of burning hail stones). Then concerning the heavenly Manna, he says, “And that which was not injured by fire, simply warmed by a faint sun beam melted away.

Each morning the desert floor was covered with a film of a flaky cellulose substance, which looked like coriander seed, and would melt and breed worms and stink if left out in the sun, and yet could be preserved when cooked, and tasted like biscuits mixed with the purest of olive oils.

Carbohydrates are any of a group of chemical compounds, including sugars, starches, and cellulose, containing carbon, hydrogen, and oxygen only, with the ratio of hydrogen to oxygen atoms usually 2 : 1; of which there was an abundant supply up in the stratosphere.

Perhaps, if our scientists could simulate the same conditions that occurred in the stratosphere when the island of Thira exploded, they may come up with an inexpensive and environmentally friendly source of food production to feed the starving millions on the earth.

The early Egyptian magicians or scientists, were able to duplicate some of the miracles of God as performed by Moses. Wouldn’t it be wonderful if our magician/scientists of today were able to perform the more mysterious of God’s miracles as seen in the days of Moses, and provide an abundant and cheap source of food to feed the ever growing population on this earth.

As I have already said, all those things that happened in Egypt at that time, were caused from pressures that had built up over many, many, thousands of years. Where the miracle is found, is in the fact that some invisible entity from some higher time dimension, was able to instigate the Exodus, at the precise time that the destructive forces beneath the island of Santorini, were beginning to awake.

Jerry Shugart

RESPONSE: Christ was buried under severe time constraints because of the Jews' impending Passover which commenced that night at sundown .

So these words in "bold" have nothing to do with the Apostles eating the passover with the Lord Jesus?:

"Then came the day of unleavened bread, when the passover must be killed. And he sent Peter and John, saying, Go and prepare us the passover, that we may eat. And they said unto him, Where wilt thou that we prepare? And he said unto them, Behold, when ye are entered into the city, there shall a man meet you, bearing a pitcher of water; follow him into the house where he entereth in. And ye shall say unto the goodman of the house, The Master saith unto thee, Where is the guestchamber, where I shall eat the passover with my disciples? And he shall shew you a large upper room furnished: there make ready. And they went, and found as he had said unto them: and they made ready the passover. And when the hour was come, he sat down, and the twelve apostles with him. And he said unto them, With desire I have desired to eat this passover with you before I suffer...And as they sat and did eat, Jesus said, Verily I say unto you, One of you which eateth with me shall betray me"
(Lk.22:7-15;Mk.14:18).​

Last edited:

S-word

BANNED
Banned
So these words in "bold" have nothing to do with the Apostles eating the passover with the Lord Jesus?:

"Then came the day of unleavened bread, when the passover must be killed. And he sent Peter and John, saying, Go and prepare us the passover, that we may eat. And they said unto him, Where wilt thou that we prepare? And he said unto them, Behold, when ye are entered into the city, there shall a man meet you, bearing a pitcher of water; follow him into the house where he entereth in. And ye shall say unto the goodman of the house, The Master saith unto thee, Where is the guestchamber, where I shall eat the passover with my disciples? And he shall shew you a large upper room furnished: there make ready. And they went, and found as he had said unto them: and they made ready the passover. And when the hour was come, he sat down, and the twelve apostles with him. And he said unto them, With desire I have desired to eat this passover with you before I suffer...And as they sat and did eat, Jesus said, Verily I say unto you, One of you which eateth with me shall betray me"

Good one Jerry.

Numbers 28: 16; The Passover Festival in honour of the Lord, is to be held on the 14th day of the first month.

Concerning the day of Passover, the Lord says in Exodus 12: 14; “You must celebrate ‘THIS DAY’*as a religious festival to remind you of what I, the Lord have done, Celebrate it (One day)*for all time to come.

Numbers 28: 16; On the fifteenth day a religious festival begins which lasts seven days, during which, only unleavened bread is to be eaten. On the first day of the seven day festival of unleavened bread, (The 15th day of Abib) you are to gather for worship and no work is to be done………………. On the last day (The 21st of Abib) you must meet for worship and do no work.

Numbers 33: 3; the people of Israel left Egypt on the 15th day of the first month of the year, the DAY AFTER the first Passover.

The Jews may have abandoned God’s one day festival of Passover, and incorporated it into their first of the seven day Festival of Unleavened Bread, but not Jesus. He kept it on the day commanded by the Lord, the evening of the 14 day of Abib.

There was no slaughtered lamb that night, because Jesus was the fulfilment of the sacrificial Lamb, and he offered his symbolic body to his disciples, Luke 22:19-20; 19*And he took bread, gave thanks and broke it, and gave it to them, saying, “This is my body given for you; do this in remembrance of me.”

20*In the same way, after the supper he took the cup, saying, “This cup is the new covenant in my blood, which is poured out for you.

The fact that it was the Passover meal that he ate with his disciples, is verified, as you have said, in Luke 22: 15; where Jesus said to his disciples; “I have wanted so much to eat this Passover meal with you before I suffer, etc.

WeberHome

-
So these words in "bold" have nothing to do with the Apostles eating the passover with the Lord Jesus?

According to Matt 26:17-20, Mark 14:12-17, Luke 22:7-13, and Luke 22:14-16, Jesus ate his Passover dinner the night of his arrest.

According to John 13:1-2, John 18:28-29, and John 19:13-14, the Jews ate their own Passover dinner after Jesus was dead and buried.

Failure to discern the time difference between Jesus' Passover dinner and the Jews' Passover dinner invariably leads to unnecessary quarrelling and confusion.

/

WeberHome

-
POSIT: Certain women arrived at the cemetery before the sun came up and found Jesus gone. Therefore he must have risen from the dead Saturday night instead of Sunday morning at daybreak as some have proposed.

RESPONSE: Had Christ risen from the dead before sunrise Sunday morning, his recovery would have taken place during nighttime; but according to Matt 17:22-23, Mark 9:31, Luke 9:22, Luke 24:12-24, Luke 24:41-46, Acts 10:39-41, and 1Cor 15:4 his recovery did not take place at night; rather, during day.

Below is a popular "proof text" among night-resurrection proponents.

John 20:1 . . Early on the first day of the week, while it was still dark, Mary Magdalene went to the tomb and saw that the stone had been removed from the entrance.

But that isn't the only information we're given. There's more.

Matt 28:1 . . After the Sabbath, at dawn on the first day of the week, Mary Magdalene and the other Mary went to look at the tomb.

Mark 16:2-3 . .Very early on the first day of the week, just after sunrise, they were on their way to the tomb and they asked each other: Who will roll the stone away from the entrance of the tomb?

Luke 24:1 . . On the first day of the week, very early in the morning, the women took the spices they had prepared and went to the tomb.

By combining Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John it's readily seen that the women left home as the sun was coming up, and by the time they arrived at the cemetery, it was full up. In other words: John doesn't say Magdalene arrived in the dark. His words "went to the tomb" indicate travel rather than arrival.

FY: We're talking about holy women here; not kooks. Normal women don't, as a rule, prowl graveyards at night. None I know anyway.

/

Jerry Shugart

There was no slaughtered lamb that night, because Jesus was the fulfilment of the sacrificial Lamb, and he offered his symbolic body to his disciples, Luke 22:19-20; 19*And he took bread, gave thanks and broke it, and gave it to them, saying, “This is my body given for you; do this in remembrance of me.”

"And the first day of unleavened bread, when they killed the passover, his disciples said unto him, Where wilt thou that we go and prepare that thou mayest eat the passover?" (Mk.14:12).​

Jerry Shugart

According to John 13:1-2, John 18:28-29, and John 19:13-14, the Jews ate their own Passover dinner after Jesus was dead and buried.

In regard to John 18:28-29 they were not worried about becoming defiled by eating the passover which was eaten in the evening of the 14th because after the sun goes down they could not become ceremonially defiled:

"And when the sun is down, he shall be clean, and shall afterward eat of the holy things; because it is his food" (Lev.22:7).​

The "passover" at John 18;28 is in regard to the passover offerings which were sacrificed during the day in the temple on the first day of the "feast of unleavened bread":

"And stand in the holy place...And Josiah gave to the people, of the flock, lambs and kids, all for the passover offerings...the rulers of the house of God, gave unto the priests for the passover offerings two thousand and six hundred small cattle, and three hundred oxen"
(2 Chron.35:5,7,8).​

The only animal which was eaten on the 14th in the evening were lambs. But here we see that cattle and oxen were passover offerings. Again, these passover offerings were in regard to the offerings of the first day of the feast of unleavened bread.

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
Had Christ risen from the dead before sunrise Sunday morning, his recovery would have taken place during nighttime...

Are there twenty-four hour days or just twelve hour days?

Was Jesus laid in the tomb as a Sabbath began which initiated the seven Days of Unleavened Bread?

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
Sunset.

Genesis 1:5

God called the light “day,” and the darkness he called “night.” And there was evening, and there was morning—the first day.

Evening is followed by Morning - The first day.

God then repeats this six times - one fore each day He created.

I agree, but one person claims the holy Spirit made a mistake by claiming a day begins at evening. He says a day begins at dawn.

Presumptuous.

daqq

People will believe anything it seems. The Word is clear.

Yep, the Word is clear enough; the time of evening begins at about "the time when women go forth to draw water", (as already mentioned and referenced from the Torah), and that time according to the Gospel of John is "about the sixth hour", (as already mentioned and referenced from the Gospel of John). So an evening consists of about six hours, (as already explained), and an evening and a morning are a yom, (as already explained), and between the evenings then must be roundabout the ninth hour, (as already explained). :chuckle:

Last edited:

S-word

BANNED
Banned
People will believe anything it seems. The Word is clear.

The Jewish say consisted of a period of 12 hours of darkness followed by 12 hours of Light. Jesus said; "A day has 12 hours has it not? So work while the light is with you."

If a day, the period of Light has 12 hours, then the previous period of Darkness, also had 12 Hours.

To stop all arguments, one only has to read the Gospel of John. Jesus held the Passover with his disciples on the evening of 14th day of Abib as commanded by the Lord.

Numbers 28: 16; The Passover Festival in honour of the Lord, is to be held on the 14th day of the first month.

Concerning the day of Passover, the Lord says in Exodus 12: 14; “You must celebrate ‘THIS DAY’*as a religious festival to remind you of what I, the Lord have done, Celebrate it (One day)*for all time to come.

Numbers 28: 16; On the fifteenth day a religious festival begins which lasts seven days, during which, only unleavened bread is to be eaten. On the first day of the seven day festival of unleavened bread, (The 15th day of Abib) you are to gather for worship and no work is to be done………………. On the last day (The 21st of Abib) you must meet for worship and do no work.

Numbers 33: 3; the people of Israel left Egypt on the 15th day of the first month of the year, the day 'AFTER' the first Passover.

Jesus ate the Passover meal on the day commanded by the Lord. Unlike the Jewish church, who had abandoned the one day Festival of Passover, and had incorporated the Passover meal into the first of their seven day festival of Unleavened Bread, and to them, the 14th day of Passover, became the day of preparation when they slaughtered their Pascal Lambs.

After Jesus had eaten the Passover meal in accordance to the commands of the Lord, he was arrested in the darkness of the Jews day of preparation to their Passover, he was sentenced to death by Pilate at the 6th hour (Midnight) on the day of Preparation to the Passover, he was nailed to the cross on the 3rd hour (9 AM) of the 12 hour period of light on the day of preparation, darkness covered the land from the 6th hour to the 9th hour (Midday to 3 PM) on the day of preparation to the Passover, and he was buried toward evening (6 PM) on the day of preparation to the Passover.

12 hours of darkness followed by 12 hours of Light. See NRV; John 19: 14. Mark 15: 23. Matthew 27: 45-46. Mark 15: 42-43. Luke 23: 54. John 19: 31.

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
Numbers 33: 3; the people of Israel left Egypt on the 15th day of the first month of the year, the day 'AFTER' the first Passover.

What? Are you saying the 15th is the day after the 14th?

Cool.

S-word

BANNED
Banned
What? Are you saying the 15th is the day after the 14th?

Cool.

The 14th day of Abib, is the one day festival of Passover as commanded by the Lord, the 15th day of Abib is the first of the seven day festival of Unleavened Bread, which was supposed to follow the one day Festival of Passover as commanded by the Lord.

Numbers 33: 3; the people of Israel left Egypt on the 15th day of the first month of the year, the day B]'AFTER'[/B] the first Passover.

clefty

So these words in 'bold" have nothing to do with the Apostles eating the passover with the Lord Jesus?:

If you ever had any credibility on this forum in the past then you no longer have any. It is absolutely ridiculous to argue that they did not eat the passover.

Sure He intended to eat it but divine mission intervened...all your bolded words reveal nothing substantivie...is why many ask the question and scholars wrestle with it...

No, they thought that he was going out to buy something for the "feast of unleavened bread," which came the day after the passover (Lev.23:5-6).
lets pretend its Jesus' passover...so its ok to leave and go out and buy something during this most somber event? I already shared the text where they were commanded to stay indoors until morning...but they all went out...

Maybe Jesus' passover has different rules?

No lamb mentioned? You have got to be out of your mind if you do not think that this is referring to the passover lamb:

"Then came the day of unleavened bread, when the passover must be killed" (Lk.2:27).​

Also, notice that the day referred to here is the "day of unleavened bread" but despite that you say that they were not eating unleavened bread!
no lamb mentioned...no bitter herbs...the bread is leavened...in fact the RCC changed it to unleavened only centuries later for some other agenda I guess...but the eastern church still uses leavened bread at communion because well...HE DID...as it was NOT a passover meal...

They were not worried about becoming defiled by eating the passover which was eaten in the evening because after the sun goes down they could not become ceremonially defiled:

"And when the sun is down, he shall be clean, and shall afterward eat of the holy things; because it is his food" (Lev.22:7).​
too bad you weren't there to tell them it's ok to be defiled...LOL...but it is written they didnt want to become defiled they must have forgotten...and what day to celebrate...you really should have been there to help correct it all...

The "passover" at John 18;28 is in regard to the passover offerings which were sacrificed during the day in the temple on the first day of the "feast of unleavened bread":

"And stand in the holy place...And Josiah gave to the people, of the flock, lambs and kids, all for the passover offerings...the rulers of the house of God, gave unto the priests for the passover offerings two thousand and six hundred small cattle, and three hundred oxen" (2 Chron.35:5,7,8).​

The only animal which was eaten on the 14th in the evening were lambs. But here we see that cattle and oxen were passover offerings. Again, these passover offerings were in regard to the offerings of the first day of the feast of unleavened bread.

Of course if you cannot even understand that the Lord Jesus ate the passover meal as described at Luke 22:7-15 with His Apostles then the rest of this will be way, way, way above your head.

Can't see where lamb was eaten at last supper...or unleavened bread