What would make you Catholic?

CabinetMaker

Member of the 10 year club on TOL!!
Hall of Fame
I've posted lists of biblical texts and biblically-based arguments, quotations from the first several centuries of the early Christian Church, etc. Again: What other "proof" would convince you?

Yes, wherever two or three Christians---baptized members of Christ's one historic Church (Ac. 2:38; Lk. 10:16; Ac. 16:4; 2 Thess. 3:4; 1 Tim. 3:15; 1 Jn. 4:6)---gather together in prayer, Christ will be with them.
Interestingly, Jesus puts no such restrictions on what He said. He said that when we are gathered in His name, He is with us. As always, I will deffer to His wisdom over yours.

Nope. Try again. As has already been posted elsewhere:
CM apparently cannot mentally grasp the fact that the Catholic Church is neither "man-made" (since, having been founded by Jesus Christ himself, it was not established by any mere man), nor a "sect" (since, as the original Church founded by Jesus Christ, it cannot possibly have broken away from any previous church). Thus, CM's terminology here is fundamentally irrational and essentially meaningless, somewhat like referring to a "married bachelor" or a "purple idea."
(You just insist on displaying yourself as hopelessly ignorant.)
I am fully satisfied that the RCC is but one sect of the Body of Christ. Protest all you want, you remain unable to definitively prove your claim.

Your claim that Christ's one historic Church---and therefore Christ himself (Lk. 10:16; 1 Tim. 3:15)---lacks the doctrinal authority to determine true from false "churches" and teachings is noted.

Gaudium de veritate,

Cruciform
+T+
My claim is that your church is but one sect of the Church that Jesus founded. Do try to quote me properly.

Cruciform

Non-Authoritive?
Completely.

Luke 10:19 Behold, I give unto YOU power to tread on serpents and scorpions, and over all the power of the enemy: and nothing shall by any means hurt you.
And who is the "you" that Jesus is addressing? Specifically, he is speaking to the seventy men whom he had chosen and appointed to be his ordained messengers to the nations (Lk. 10:1, 17). He is decidedly not addressing his statements to each and every lay believer on earth, as you wrongly assume. Try again.

Jesus gives US the authority not man.

Unless you can demonstrate that you're a bishop, he's given you no authority whatsoever. Thus, my prior statements stand exactly as posted.

Gaudium de veritate,

Cruciform
+T+

Cruciform

They're blinded because they believe not (2 Corinthians 4:3-4 KJV). The only way those blinders are coming off is to the acknowledging of the truth (2 Timothy 2:24-26 KJV). Cruciform shows no sign of sight.
They're blinded because they believe not (2 Corinthians 4:3-4 KJV). The only way those blinders are coming off is to the acknowledging of the truth (2 Timothy 2:24-26 KJV). heir shows no sign of sight.

(See how that works?)

Cruciform

Interestingly, Jesus puts no such restrictions on what He said. He said that when we are gathered in His name, He is with us. As always, I will deffer to His wisdom over yours.
As always, you willfully ignore the text's literary context in order to cling to your wholly sectarian opinion. Back to Post #601.

I am fully satisfied that the RCC is but one sect of the Body of Christ. Protest all you want, you remain unable to definitively prove your claim.
Already decisively answered---and corrected---in previous posts above.

My claim is that your church is but one sect of the Church that Jesus founded.
Already demonstrably corrected.

Gaudium de veritate,

Cruciform
+T+

CabinetMaker

Hall of Fame
As always, you willfully ignore the text's literary context in order to cling to your wholly sectarian opinion. Back to Post #.
No, I ignore they man made interpretations that your sect teaches in favor of what the text actually says.

Already decisively answered---and corrected---in previous posts above.
Only in your own mind.

Already demonstrably corrected.

Gaudium de veritate,

Cruciform
+T+
By all means, try again. Of course you should not expect your rather biased links to work any better which means, you failed to adiquately demonstrate your assertion.

Cruciform

No, I ignore they man made interpretations that your Church teaches in favor of what the text actually says.
"...what the text actually says" according to the opinions of your chosen recently-invented, man-made non-Catholic sect, anyway. But then, for those doctrinal opinions to carry any authority whatsoever, you must be able to demonstrate that your preferred recently-invented, man-made non-Catholic sect is in fact that one historic Church founded by Jesus Christ himself in 33 A.D., and against which he declared that the gates of hell would never prevail (Mt. 16:18-19; 1 Tim. 3:15). By all means, therefore, post your proof.

...you failed to adiquately demonstrate your assertion.
On the contrary. Your willful pathological ignorance in no way negates the objective truthfulness of the content of the information provided. The problem is you, not the facts presented.

Gaudium de veritate,

Cruciform
+T+

Last edited:

heir

TOL Subscriber
Alright. So a man cannot rightly understand Scripture while suffering from spiritual blindness.

How can one be cured of spiritual blindness?

The blinders come off to the acknowledging of the truth!

2 Timothy 2:25 In meekness instructing those that oppose themselves; if God peradventure will give them repentance to the acknowledging of the truth;

2 Timothy 2:26 And that they may recover themselves out of the snare of the devil, who are taken captive by him at his will.

Right Divider

Body part
Alright. So a man cannot rightly understand Scripture while suffering from spiritual blindness.

If you really want do know, I can show you. But you'll really need to separate yourself from that evil organization that teaches so much falsehood with just an occasional truth.

CabinetMaker

Hall of Fame
"...what the text actually says" according to the opinions of your chosen recently-invented, man-made non-Catholic sect, anyway. But then, for those doctrinal opinions to carry any authority whatsoever, you must be able to demonstrate that your preferred recently-invented, man-made non-Catholic sect is in fact that one historic Church founded by Jesus Christ himself in 33 A.D., and against which he declared that the gates of hell would never prevail (Mt. 16:18-19; 1 Tim. 3:15). By all means, therefore, post your proof.
You can always read the scripture for yourself all by itself. Just read it. Close the catechism, close the links to all your Catholic resources and read it.

On the contrary. Your willful pathological ignorance in no way negates the objective truthfulness of the content of the information provided. The problem is you, not the facts presented.

Gaudium de veritate,

Cruciform
+T+
You do t seem to understand. I am telling you that your proofs failed, that you need to try something different if you want to convince people. In fact, the arrogance that you think you can actually reason people into believing you are correct is the biggest problem you have.

Cruciform

You can always read the scripture for yourself all by itself. Just read it.
Yes, let's all do that---all you members of the tens-of-thousands of Protestant sects out there, let's follow CM's advice: Go ahead and "read the scripture for yourselves, all by itself." Okay. Now---what'd you get? Everybody arrived at the very same interpretation, right? No?! How disappointing. Guess that's the reason for the 50,000+ non-Catholic sects in existence today, with more being invented every week. So much for CM's brilliant advice.

The plain fact is that every Protestant---including CM---reads and interprets the Bible according to the particular doctrinal tradition of his chosen recently-invented, man-made non-Catholic sect (or in my case, Christ's one historic Church). Catholics read the Bible through the lens of the ancient teaching Tradition of Christ's one historic Church, and non-Catholics read the Bible through the lens of their preferred non-Catholic sectarian tradition. Either way, one's doctrinal tradition guides and influences one's interpretive conclusions. It's simply unavoidable.

Close the catechism, close the links to all your Catholic resources and read it.
You seem to be unaware that I read and interpreted the Bible as an Evangelical Protestant for forty years---including in an Evangelical university and seminary---before becoming a Catholic. So I have plenty of experience reading the Bible exactly as you suggest. And, just like you, I interpreted the Scriptures according to the doctrinal tradition(s) of my preferred recently-invented, man-made non-Catholic sect(s), which carried no doctrinal authority whatsoever. Been there, done that.

I am telling you that your proofs failed...
Rather, you failed to affirm and embrace the facts of history and Divine Revelation. As you like.

Gaudium de veritate,

Cruciform
+T+

glassjester

Just because people disagree does NOT make it less clear.

It's called SPIRITUAL BLINDNESS!

If you really want do know, I can show you.

Does a spiritually blind man need someone to show him how to properly interpret Scripture?

So why is it that Lutherans believe, while holding to sola-scriptura, that the Bible teaches infant baptism?

Did they read their Bible wrong?

Most do, including you. No?

Most people read their Bible wrong? Ok.

How can they learn to read it right?

I guess we'd better not pursue this discussion to its logical conclusion. :)