What is the Gospel?

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
He:

is - and was - and is to come - Whose goings forth are from of old, from everlasting - Forever and ever - The Ancient of Days - From before the ages of the ages - From ancient times - the everlasting God - He continues forever - From of old - Remains forever - Immortal - The Lord shall endure forever - Who lives forever - yesterday, today, and forever - God’s years - manifest in His own time - Everlasting Father - Alive forevermore - Always lives - Forever - Continually - God’s years never end - From everlasting to everlasting - From that time forward, even forever - And of His kingdom there will be no end.

All of those are verbatim quotes from scripture.
Yeppers.

God does things in sequence.
That right there is where the buck should stop because there is nowhere in scripture that says otherwise.

To me, all this "GOD is outside of time" business is Platonism with a Christian veneer.

Evil.Eye.*{@}*

Is EE joining with the "all ya gotta do is try your best to be nice to everyone to be saved" gospel crowd?

Ephesians 4:15 Rather, speaking the truth in love, we are to grow up in every way into him who is the head, into Christ

I mean... I can humiliate a person and kick them in the head in Love... right?

I can beat a person into all Truth!?! Right? That’s worked every time!

Shame and Singling a person out changes everyone... right?

Love is tough when people get smacked around verbally.

There’s no such thing as being hurtful and who needs patience infused with trust in the Holy Spirit? Right?

Evil.Eye.*{@}*

I wish I could be that witty like you.

You seem to know how not to be hurt.

good for you:)

You have a mighty presence, too, Meshak.

Unfortunately... the reason I seem so witty, is because I’m good at that game... because I used to play it and hurt others. Perhaps the skill looks good but it is the result of ill spent time.

All blessings to you, Sister in Christ... be thankful you have repented of hurting others... long before I have at times. I’ve gone far too far down bad paths in the past. You sensitive heart is a blessing.

meshak

BANNED
Banned

Unfortunately... the reason I seem so witty, is because I’m good at that game... because I used to play it and hurt others. Perhaps the skill looks good but it is the result of ill spent time.

All blessings to you, Sister in Christ

I am learning from you not to be hurt by insulting comments.

thank you:)

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Yeah, this thread is all about the Evil One.
:rotfl:

Start one, Tam, I'd like to the consider the idea that time is cyclical, and God is in the Center....always present in time. Like a clock...around and around without end.
I will if RD wants to.
He and I are friends and we already agree on most things, so I know that at least he and I could have a civil conversation about it.
(Of course we can still blast everyone else.) :D

Bluntly, I certainly think no less of him for presenting a view that has a different conclusion than mine.
But some topics folks get real heated about.
I don't want to start a thread on this topic unless there is a good chance of some civil disagreement.

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Ephesians 4:15 Rather, speaking the truth in love, we are to grow up in every way into him who is the head, into Christ

I mean... I can humiliate a person and kick them in the head in Love... right?

I can beat a person into all Truth!?! Right? That’s worked every time!

Shame and Singling a person out changes everyone... right?

Love is tough when people get smacked around verbally.

There’s no such thing as being hurtful and who needs patience infused with trust in the Holy Spirit? Right?
Is that a 'yes'?

glorydaz

I've gotta say that this is the weirdest disagreement I've ever seen.

I say the same things you say but my doctrine is fine and yours somehow isn't. Not only that but what you and I both say are the same as what they say on this topic.

Everyone agrees and yet you're the bag guy and I get attacked for not having established that!

I've just never seen anything like it before. If I wasn't used to people being a little crazy on TOL, I'd think I was having a stroke or something.

Clete

You had to have seen what set it off. I dared to rebuke Evil Eye for attacking and falsely accusing AMR of saying exactly what I said. He said he preached the Gospel to all, but he wouldn't be able to say "OUR" to them all because he didn't know who God would end up saving. He didn't get any deeper into his doctrine than that before Evil rudely attacked him, and leapt in support of Sonnet (a professed unbeliever). He railed on the way Sonnet was being treated by professing Christians. Sonnet was bent on turning believers against each other over whether Christ died for all or not. I can't stand the thought of reliving the nightmare, myself. I felt like I was in the Twilight Zone.

It was sheer anger at me, and that's exactly what it was. That's what Evil cannot let go of....all while claiming he is now a great LOVER and Forgiver. I even gave him the opportunity to stop...give it up, but he only doubled down.

I hurt Evil's pride and he set out to turn everyone against me. People didn't jump like he wanted them to, so he took to using his socks to support what he was saying, and Sonnet was simply his lap dog...they have some strange connection.

It's kinda humorous when you stop and think about it (in a weird sorta way). :chuckle:

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I've gotta say that this is the weirdest disagreement I've ever seen.

I say the same things you say but my doctrine is fine and yours somehow isn't. Not only that but what you and I both say are the same as what they say on this topic.

Everyone agrees and yet you're the bag guy and I get attacked for not having established that!

I've just never seen anything like it before. If I wasn't used to people being a little crazy on TOL, I'd think I was having a stroke or something.

Clete
haha!

Don't you know? If you don't say it this way, it ain't true! :IA:

Lon

You're arguing that God could not traverse an infinite past.

Spoiler
From http://kgov.com/God-crossed-an-actual-infinity-of-time-through-the-beginningless-past

Misconception 3: God cannot cross an actual infinity: (Send any comment to Bob@kgov.com.) God has existed through the "beginningless past" (Morriston, 2010, Faith and Philosophy, pp. 439-450 (see link on page)). Christian theologians who object to this typically do so by being inconsistent, and thus, their objection is easily neutralized, and then answered. For example, William Lane Craig denies that God has existed throughout time immemorial, infinitely into the past, because he claims that even God cannot cross an actual infinity. (Aristotle, for example, claimed that the [URL="http://www.theologyonline.com/forums/showthread.php?p=846325#post846325"]infinite is never actual; he however, did not know God.) Yet while Craig doesn't admit it, he himself believes that God has crossed an actual infinity. His belief that God has exhaustive foreknowledge of a kingdom that never ends requires divine knowledge of an infinite future, with this knowledge comprised of actual thoughts in God's mind. (This would be like God having counted to infinity.) Further, because Craig happens to hold the untenable and rather grotesque belief that God knows every possible future, that philosophical claim requires God to cross an infinite number of actual infinities. Instead, in actuality, God has crossed the single infinity of the beginningless past. Using a typically unstated assumption, an argument against God's "beginningless past" insists that He could not have crossed an infinite past because regardless of how much time has actually passed, "infinity" would require passage of even more time to arrive at any given moment. The unstated assumption in this objection however is that it assumes its conclusion, namely, that this past period must have had a beginning (for this objection asserts that this past period is of finite duration). If there is a valid systematic theology against God crossing an actual infinity, it would not support a philosophical claim that contradicts its own system, and it will not merely assume its conclusion. Let's consider an analogy from geometry and then an excuse from mathematics. Using an analogy, not as a proof but as an illustration, a geometrical line is infinite in both directions, whereas a ray has a terminal point yet is infinite in one direction. For our analogy, the ray extends through eternity past and is terminated in God's present, which is where God lives (in the fullness of time, so to speak). Relatedly, perhaps there is an excuse for theologians who failed to understand all this, who lived prior to mathematician Georg Cantor (d. 1918), who taught the world that it was possible to form infinite sets greater than other infinite sets. So, if God had already existed for eternity past at the moment of creation (an infinite set of moments), by the time of the Incarnation, He had then existed for an even longer infinite set of moments. For, He must increase. (Prior to Cantor the world of mathematics never accepted the concept of greater infinity.) And finally, God put eternity into our hearts. Yet unlike God, our life is not endless in two directions but only in one, namely, into the future. So you are like a "ray" that begins at a point (of conception) and then proceeds forever (Eccl. 3:11). Therefore, our eternal soul provides for us a context in which we can develop a gut feel for what it means to live forever (throughout eternity future). Yet we lack the divine intestinal fortitude, so to speak, which we would need in order to relate to His beginningless past. Thus, by the Scriptural teachings regarding time (see above) and because time could not have been created (see above), therefore we teach that God's goings forth are from of old, from everlasting, from ancient times, the everlasting God who continues forever, from before the ages of the ages, He who is and who was and who is to come, who remains forever, the everlasting Father, whose years never end, from everlasting to everlasting, and of His kingdom there will be no end.

I think this is a good treatment, but it too, is caught in the finite. So a couple of points:

1) God IS infinite. What that means is that there is nothing outside of Him thus 'travel' is a :nono:
2) ALL that exists, is created by Him. While He does inhabit His creation, it is a finite and limited understanding.
While I appreciate Enyart's thinking, he still has God in creation, by his thinking, rather than beyond it. He is always thinking in 3-D. God is not 'in' Creation but relationally. While I appreciate the OV for relational emphasis, logically, God is 'beyond' finite constraints. I always say "Relational to, unconstrained by." So, imho, Enyart has it half right.

In Him -Lon

Danoh

All blessings to you, Sister in Christ... be thankful you have repented of hurting others... long before I have at times. I’ve gone far too far down bad paths in the past. You sensitive heart is a blessing.

Meshak appears to hold to a greatly erroneous, Watch Tower view of salvation.

If that is the case, then either she was once sound, was saved, ended up confused, but is still saved, and therefore a sister in Christ.

Or she never had it right to begin with, was lost, went from that to worse when she hooked up with the Watch Tower cult, and is thus still lost, and therefore not a sister in Christ, but a lost person on her way to an eternal damnation.

Not sure where you yourself are on this distinction between those two types, but if you are clear, then do not compromise it just because the same old hypocrites on here are against you once more, or whatever, and Meshak threw you a bone of kindness or whatever.

You do no one any favor by compromising the truth of the gospel of our salvation - neither that of your own testimony, nor that of their eternal destiny.

The grace of Romans 14:5 towards you; in memory of the grace of Romans 5:6-8 - in each our stead.

And only the would be grace of Romans 5:6-8 towards Meshak, until I am clear that her doctrine merits a Romans 14:5 also.

And thus far, hers does not appear to be the case.

1Mind1Spirit

Literal lunatic

I will if RD wants to.
He and I are friends and we already agree on most things, so I know that at least he and I could have a civil conversation about it.
(Of course we can still blast everyone else.) :D

Bluntly, I certainly think no less of him for presenting a view that has a different conclusion than mine.
But some topics folks get real heated about.
I don't want to start a thread on this topic unless there is a good chance of some civil disagreement.

I civilly assert right divider is fulla bs. :crackup:

1Mind1Spirit

Literal lunatic
I think this is a good treatment, but it too, is caught in the finite. So a couple of points:

1) God IS infinite. What that means is that there is nothing outside of Him thus 'travel' is a :nono:
2) ALL that exists, is created by Him. While He does inhabit His creation, it is a finite and limited understanding.
While I appreciate Enyart's thinking, he still has God in creation, by his thinking, rather than beyond it. He is always thinking in 3-D. God is not 'in' Creation but relationally. While I appreciate the OV for relational emphasis, logically, God is 'beyond' finite constraints. I always say "Relational to, unconstrained by." So, imho, Enyart has it half right.

In Him -Lon

I'm not gonna repent and agree RD is half right. :plain:

Reactions: Lon

meshak

BANNED
Banned
Meshak appears to hold to a greatly erroneous, Watch Tower view of salvation.

If that is the case, then either she was once sound, was saved, ended up confused, but is still saved, and therefore a sister in Christ.

Or she never had it right to begin with, was lost, went from that to worse when she hooked up with the Watch Tower cult, and is thus still lost, and therefore not a sister in Christ, but a lost person on her way to an eternal damnation.

Not sure where you yourself are on this distinction between those two types, but if you are clear, then do not compromise it just because the same old hypocrites on here are against you once more, or whatever, and Meshak threw you a bone of kindness or whatever.

You do no one any favor by compromising the truth of the gospel of our salvation - neither that of your own testimony, nor that of their eternal destiny.

The grace of Romans 14:5 towards you; in memory of the grace of Romans 5:6-8 - in each our stead.

And only the would be grace of Romans 5:6-8 towards Meshak, until I am clear that her doctrine merits a Romans 14:5 also.

And thus far, hers does not appear to be the case.

You are still at it hah?

All I can say is watch out for your false beliefs.

JWs are much more Christian than most of you.

meshak

BANNED
Banned
Danoh,

EE knows I am a non-trin and still calls me a sister.:)

Like I said he changed 180 degree.

You can learn a lot from him.

glorydaz

no maybe about it. Their fruit is showing to the world.

Their fruit....that is not the Fruit of the Spirit. It's good works to be seen of men. It's announcing what a great person you are to forgive and to love others.

No one who truly forgives and loves others announces it....they do it quietly out of sight - without boasting. When it's done for show or to earn rewards, they'll get none from God. Jesus was very clear on this matter.

Matthew 6:1 Take heed that ye do not your alms before men, to be seen of them: otherwise ye have no reward of your Father which is in heaven.

Matthew 6:5 And when thou prayest, thou shalt not be as the hypocrites are: for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and in the corners of the streets, that they may be seen of men. Verily I say unto you, They have their reward.​