What is "Faith alone ?"

God's Truth

Justification: Forgiveness by faith alone

Sanctification: Obedient, holy life

Both are true.

Justification is first; sanctification follows. Faith produces obedience. Romans 3:31

The only time ‘faith alone’ is mentioned in the Bible, it is to tell us what kind of faith not to have.
James 2:24 You see that a person is justified by what he does and not by faith alone.
Faith alone without any right action does not save. Apostle James says such faith is DEAD.
Many denominations call that dead faith ‘saving faith’.

James 2:17 In the same way, faith by itself, if it is not accompanied by action, is dead.
James tells us faith alone cannot save a man. See James 2:14.

That “dead faith” is NOT the most important kind of faith ever known.

God's Truth

your question was , what is faith alone ?

Abram believed God and God "counted it to him as righteousness. " undisputed.

Gen 15:5 And he brought him outside and said, "Look toward heaven, and number the stars, if you are able to number them." Then he said to him, "So shall your offspring be."
Gen 15:6 And he believed the LORD, and he counted it to him as righteousness.

Genesis 26:4-5 I will make your descendants as numerous as the stars in the sky and will give them all these lands, and through your offspring all nations on earth will be blessed, because Abraham obeyed me and kept my requirements, my commands, my decrees and my laws."

God's Truth

Nice try AMR, you are the one disagrees with "Scripture" AKA the Greek words used by the writers and their definitions.

I don't think i've discovered something , i think i've rediscovered something. For what ever reason , God chose me to try and persuade you.

You claim to have had the "experience" AMR . What experience ? Being "in Christ" , being sealed with the Spirit of Christ , and if you have the Spirit of Christ , you also have the "Mind of Christ."

If you can tell me what happens and what it is like to have the "Mind of Christ" , i'll take a second look at you. You see , you'll never find the answer to that question in Gods Word , you have to have the experience.

I await your answer , and keep it focused on the question.

To have the mind of Christ is to have an obedient mind.

Nang

TOL Subscriber

Both are true.

However, the order of the two realities is never reversed.

Justification (forgiveness of sins) happens first, and sanctification (holy obedient living) is the result.

Justification is a once and for all event; sanctification continues for a lifetime.

Nang

TOL Subscriber
To have the mind of Christ is to have an obedient mind.

Agreed.

And to possess the mind of Christ, the sinner must be indwelt with the Spirit of Christ, and this occurs when the sinner is raised (regenerated) to new life by the power of God.

This is the event when the sinner is miraculously changed and given a new heart, eyes, ears, and mind to comprehend the Gospel of Jesus Christ. This is when the Holy Spirit gifts the sinner with faith to believe and grants him the capacity to repent.

Exercise of the new heart, eyes, ears, and mind (of Christ) follows, resulting in the holy sanctified life of obedience.

serpentdove

BANNED
Banned
Faith as the noun is at best barely understood. But Faithing the verb...

All you can
quoties.gif
do is believe (Ac 16:31).

See:

Monergism vs. synergism—which view is correct?

God's Truth

Forgiveness happens after we confess and repent of our sins.

Both are true.

However, the order of the two realities is never reversed.

We are righteous, made sanctified, justified and purified when we are saved. And that happens after we believe and obey.

Justification is a once and for all event; sanctification continues for a lifetime.

To be justified and sanctified happens at the same time. Then we are to continue to live up to that.

Philippians 3:16 Only let us live up to what we have already attained.

God's Truth

I can't tell you how good that sounds to me.

And to possess the mind of Christ, the sinner must be indwelt with the Spirit of Christ, and this occurs when the sinner is raised (regenerated) to new life by the power of God.

Jesus chooses whom he regenerates, and he tells us who he chooses and why. Jesus says he chooses those who believe and obey him.

This is the event when the sinner is miraculously changed and given a new heart, eyes, ears, and mind to comprehend the Gospel of Jesus Christ. This is when the Holy Spirit gifts the sinner with faith to believe and grants him the capacity to repent.
God does not save unbelievers. God saves those who believe and obey.

Nang

TOL Subscriber
Forgiveness happens after we confess and repent of our sins.

So you believe sinners possess the will and the virtue and the spiritual capacity to repent from their sins, apart from the will, virtue, Spirit, grace, and power of God?

I do not . . .

It is my belief that the original sin of Adam so corrupted the human nature, and so enslaved mankind to Satan, that all men have lost their freedom of will, creational virtues, and have so corrupted their bodies and souls, to not ever be able to exercise good conscience, again.

We Reformers call this tragedy, Total Depravity.

Faither

BANNED
Banned
You come as you are not as a super duper, cleaned up Christian (Ro 10:9). :eek: You come by grace (Ro 5:17–21) through faith (Ro 3:26, 27).

Right through "Faith". Faithing in the Greek because they have a verb for the application of Faith , we don't.

The Greek word is pisteuo used 248 times in the NT , mistranslated when they used the words believe , believer , and believing.

Salvation is by Grace , through Faith or the application of Faith , faithing.

So , putting the Vines Greek definition for the corresponding verb for Faith , pisteuo in the sentence it goes like this.

Salvation is by Grace through "the personal surrendering to Christ , and a life inspired by such surrender."

If you can grasp that i can go into more depth. It's very simple , i don't know why it's so hard to accept?

God's Truth

So you believe sinners possess the will and the virtue and the spiritual capacity to repent from their sins, apart from the will, virtue, Spirit, grace, and power of God?
Adam and Eve were with God and sinned and then were sent out of paradise. They had free will. We all have free will.
I do not . . .

It is my belief that the original sin of Adam so corrupted the human nature, and so enslaved mankind to Satan, that all men have lost their freedom of will, creational virtues, and have so corrupted their bodies and souls, to not ever be able to exercise good conscience, again.

We Reformers call this tragedy, Total Depravity.

Not all are totally depraved, though some are. Not all are totally depraved, just as not all are accustomed to doing evil. See Jeremiah 13:23.

Then Peter began to speak: "I now realize how true it is that God does not show favoritism But accepts men from every nation who fear him and do what is right." (Acts 10:34,35)

But let all who take refuge in you be glad; let them ever sing for joy. Spread your protection over them, that those who love your name may rejoice in you. For surely, O LORD, you bless the righteous; you surround them with your favor as with a shield. (Psalms 5:11,12)

So we see there are those who are evil and those who want to do right.

Can you see that in Psalms 5, David is not speaking of all the Israelites, only of the wicked, when he says "Their tongue is an open grave; with their tongue they speak deceit." There were righteous people in Israel, and God surrounded them with His favor.

The same is true of "The poison of vipers is on their lips." Also in Psalms 140 David says: "Surely the righteous will praise your name and the upright will live before you."

Again:

Their mouths are full of cursing and bitterness. (Romans 3:14)

This is taken from Psalms 10:7. What else did the psalmist say in the tenth Psalm:
Break the arm of the wicked and evil man; call him to account for his wickedness that would not be found out. (Psalms 10:15)

You hear, O LORD, the desire of the afflicted; you encourage them, and you listen to their cry, Defending the fatherless and the oppressed, in order that man, who is of the earth, may terrify no more. (Psalms 10:17,18)

Can you see in the tenth Psalm that the writer is not saying all were wicked? The Lord was defending the fatherless and the oppressed. They were not wicked but were being harmed by the wicked.

Read these scriptures, Jesus tells us there are good people who get saved:

Luke 8:15 “… these are the ones who have heard the word in an honest and good heart, and hold it fast, and bear fruit with perseverance.”

Matthew 12:35 A good man brings good things out of the good stored up in him, and an evil man brings evil things out of the evil stored up in him.

John 18:37 "You are a king, then!" said Pilate. Jesus answered, "You say that I am a king. In fact, the reason I was born and came into the world is to testify to the truth. Everyone on the side of truth listens to me."

way 2 go

Your kidding right, he took his faith (an action) to it's full potential when he was sacrificing his son. He probably would have rather sacrificed himself (surrendered) than his son. So his surrender was deeper than even God requires from us.

you do know you keep trying to use Abraham's
second covenant with circumcision to change
Abrams first covenant of faith only.

way 2 go

Genesis 26:4-5 I will make your descendants as numerous as the stars in the sky and will give them all these lands, and through your offspring all nations on earth will be blessed, because Abraham obeyed me and kept my requirements, my commands, my decrees and my laws."

so ? that is from the 2nd covenant.

Abram believed God and God "counted it to him as righteousness. " undisputed.

Gen 15:6 And he believed the LORD, and he counted it to him as righteousness.