What is Acts 9 Dispensationalism?

Hilston

Hall of Fame
Originally posted by elohiym
... I guess you'll have to ask Paul, Peter and John why they did what they did. We could speculate, I guess.

... Read the context, Hilston.

... Ask Paul.
Here is the sum of elohiym's theology: Force scripture to fit a preconceived set of doctrines; where scripture doesn't fit, defer to ignorance or ambiguity. In a debate it is customary to explain one's points, to defend one's claims, and to use reason. Elohiym has done little more than dodge all three. I can't say that I'm surprised; this is the typical reaction of those who have been nailed to wall at every turn of their argument.

Here is my guess: Elohiym got scared. He/she realized that her arguments were weak and/or arbitrary, violated the context of scripture, and had no rational footing. He/she couldn't even defend the simplest of practical claims regarding eucharistic observances ("Ask Paul" !?!?! :darwinsm:.) If everyone conducted debate the way Elohiym does, all we'd ever say to each other is "Ask Paul" or "Ask Moses" or "Ask Jesus," especially when the going gets tough :freak:

Since elohiym has chickened out, can anyone tell me what is wrong with grabbing some extra Jesus crackers for later to throw in my lobster bisque? Can I enjoy them with a Mountain Dew while I watch the Steelers? Can I grab an extra shotglass of wine/juice if I'm especially parched? What's wrong with these things?

elohiym

Originally posted by Hilston

Here is the sum of elohiym's theology: Force scripture to fit a preconceived set of doctrines; where scripture doesn't fit, defer to ignorance or ambiguity. In a debate it is customary to explain one's points, to defend one's claims, and to use reason. Elohiym has done little more than dodge all three. I can't say that I'm surprised; this is the typical reaction of those who have been nailed to wall at every turn of their argument.

Here is my guess: Elohiym got scared. He/she realized that her arguments were weak and/or arbitrary, violated the context of scripture, and had no rational footing. He/she couldn't even defend the simplest of practical claims regarding eucharistic observances ("Ask Paul" !?!?! :darwinsm:.) If everyone conducted debate the way Elohiym does, all we'd ever say to each other is "Ask Paul" or "Ask Moses" or "Ask Jesus," especially when the going gets tough :freak:

Since elohiym has chickened out, can anyone tell me what is wrong with grabbing some extra Jesus crackers for later to throw in my lobster bisque? Can I enjoy them with a Mountain Dew while I watch the Steelers? Can I grab an extra shotglass of wine/juice if I'm especially parched? What's wrong with these things?
Nice try, Hilston; but frankly, I find you boring, even more boring than The Plot. I could have more fun debating a wall.

Just so people aren't deceived by your statements against me, I explained my beliefs and gave scripture to back it up. You responded with only more questions, and weak argument.

You also don't seem to understand what Paul was stating in relation to the Lord's Supper. If you did, you would know the answers to your questions are in the context of Paul's epistle. They were treating the Lord's Supper like a buffet, and Paul told them it was wrong. You are asking if it is wrong to treat the Lord's Supper like a buffet (read your questions s-l-o-w-l-y), and I answered you by pointing you to Paul's council, rather than giving human opinion, as you seem to be. I told you to ask Paul because I cannot answer your question about his intent for him, which is reasonable.

Anyway, like I said, YOU bore me, so don't bother trying to bait me again like a child, Hilton. Okay?

Hilston

Hall of Fame

Nice try, Hilston; but frankly, I find you boring, even more boring than The Plot.
In that case, maybe you could bore yourself to death by reading my boring critique of The (boring) Plot. Click here: Elohiym's Death By Boredom

Just so people aren't deceived by your statements against me, I explained my beliefs and gave scripture to back it up. You responded with only more questions, and weak argument.
Of course, deny the statements against you by unsupported assertions, claiming to have provided proofs that don't exist on the hope that no one is really paying attention and won't check. That's exactly the kind of response I would expect from someone whose best answer to a challenge is "Why don't you ask Paul?" :freak:

You also don't seem to understand what Paul was stating in relation to the Lord's Supper. If you did, you would know the answers to your questions are in the context of Paul's epistle. They were treating the Lord's Supper like a buffet, and Paul told them it was wrong.
On the contrary, the agape feasts were indeed buffets, just as the Passover was. These are full multi-course, hunger satisfying meals. The modern Mithraic communion ritual is an early corruption that most of Christendom has erroneously and egregiously adopted without biblical warrant. Consider the following (if it's not too boring):

You are asking if it is wrong to treat the Lord's Supper like a buffet (read your questions s-l-o-w-l-y), and I answered you by pointing you to Paul's council, rather than giving human opinion, as you seem to be. I told you to ask Paul because I cannot answer your question about his intent for him, which is reasonable.
Sadly, you seem to miss the fact that the goal of one's study of the scriptures is to understand the intent of the author, rightly assuming that the author communicated his intention in the very words he chose, in the context in which he wrote. Let's grant for the moment that Paul is talking about the Mithraic communion ritual that most churches practice today, do you not see this as a contradiction of his own warning against submitting to "touch not, taste not" regulations in Col 2?

Anyway, like I said, YOU bore me, so don't bother trying to bait me again like a child, Hilton. Okay?
You give yourself too much credit, Elohiym. I'm looking for someone who can provide a more coherent argument than I got from you, and I've used you as an example of the kind of inane tripe that is unacceptable in an intelligent discussion. If I'm baiting anyone, it's not you, but perhaps someone else out there who won't tuck-tail-and-run and can give me a better answer than "I guess you'll have to ask Peter and John." So don't flatter yourself, Elohiym. One man's boredom is another man's raison d'être.

Last edited:

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame

Can you enjoy them? Not if they're the typical wafers you find in liturgical churches. Those things are nasty!:vomit:

Anyway, I don't see any problem with buying some to eat, at home, for no particular reason. But to take them from the plate is rude. That is the only thing worng with it. The bread, and wine, are nothing more than symbols. You can drink wine at home, and you can eat unleavened bread at home. But to do what you described is uncalled for. Of course, I gathered that you knew that, and were just trying to get someone else to state what they thought, but everyone jumped on your back as if you were saying you'd do those things.

God_Is_Truth

Originally posted by lighthouse

Can you enjoy them? Not if they're the typical wafers you find in liturgical churches. Those things are nasty!:vomit:

Anyway, I don't see any problem with buying some to eat, at home, for no particular reason. But to take them from the plate is rude. That is the only thing worng with it. The bread, and wine, are nothing more than symbols. You can drink wine at home, and you can eat unleavened bread at home. But to do what you described is uncalled for. Of course, I gathered that you knew that, and were just trying to get someone else to state what they thought, but everyone jumped on your back as if you were saying you'd do those things.

that's what i was getting at.

Hilston

Hall of Fame
Anyway, I don't see any problem with buying some to eat, at home, for no particular reason. But to take them from the plate is rude.
Why is it rude?

That is the only thing worng with it. The bread, and wine, are nothing more than symbols. You can drink wine at home, and you can eat unleavened bread at home. But to do what you described is uncalled for.
Why? What if I have permission from the deacons and make an arrangement in advance: "I'll sit in the last pew so I'll be the last one to get the plate, and I'll just scoop up the extras and put them in a ziplock baggie. And if there is any leftover wine/juice shots, I'll quietly down them without distraction." Would that be OK? Why or why not?

Of course, I gathered that you knew that, and were just trying to get someone else to state what they thought, but everyone jumped on your back as if you were saying you'd do those things.
I do do these things. When we have communion in our church, everyone goes for seconds. Sometimes thirds, if there's enough.

Sozo

As long as there is plenty to go around, then there is nothing wrong with it. I think that Paul tells us not to show up early and eat and drink everything before everyone else gets there, because you could get sick and fall asleep before others partake, and that would be a rude thing to do to the rest of the body.

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame

Why is it rude?

Why? What if I have permission from the deacons and make an arrangement in advance: "I'll sit in the last pew so I'll be the last one to get the plate, and I'll just scoop up the extras and put them in a ziplock baggie. And if there is any leftover wine/juice shots, I'll quietly down them without distraction." Would that be OK? Why or why not?

I do do these things. When we have communion in our church, everyone goes for seconds. Sometimes thirds, if there's enough.
Well, then it's not rude. Catholic priests eat and drink the leftovers.

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
Originally posted by Hilston Why? What if I have permission from the deacons and make an arrangement in advance: "I'll sit in the last pew so I'll be the last one to get the plate, and I'll just scoop up the extras and put them in a ziplock baggie. And if there is any leftover wine/juice shots, I'll quietly down them without distraction." Would that be OK? Why or why not?

What exactly is the point you are trying to make Jim? This seems like a pretty silly thing to do at best. I can tell you that if you attempted to make such an arrangement at any church I've ever attended, you would get looked at side ways and told "Umm, no, if you do that we'll throw you out on your ear. If you would really like to have some, let's go back to the kitchen and we'll put some in a baggy for you to take home but just this once because while this stuff isn't expensive, it does cost money. If you like it so well, buy your own, thank you."
Now, I can tell that this is not something you would ever actually do, so what's the point of asking the question, what are you getting at?

Resting in Him,
Clete

Hilston

Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Clete Pfeiffer
What exactly is the point you are trying to make Jim?
That modern communion practices violate Paul's gospel. They involve food regulations and "touch not/taste not" restrictions that go against the teachings of the Mystery.

This seems like a pretty silly thing to do at best. I can tell you that if you attempted to make such an arrangement at any church I've ever attended, you would get looked at side ways and told "Umm, no, if you do that we'll throw you out on your ear. If you would really like to have some, let's go back to the kitchen and we'll put some in a baggy for you to take home but just this once because while this stuff isn't expensive, it does cost money. If you like it so well, buy your own, thank you."
That's because it's a ritual, which Paul decries. If it weren't a ritual, if it were a meal, as the scriptures teach, then there wouldn't be these torturous procedural stipulations and concerns.

Now, I can tell that this is not something you would ever actually do, so what's the point of asking the question, what are you getting at?
I do it all the time. Every communion, I, or someone is asking: "Can I finish this off?"

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber

That modern communion practices violate Paul's gospel. They involve food regulations and "touch not/taste not" restrictions that go against the teachings of the Mystery.
I see. You know, you could have just said so in the first place.

There are some Acts 9 Dispensationalists who don't think that communion should be practiced at all; that it is nothing more than an observance of the Passover Feist of Israel and therefore has no place in the Body of Christ in the first place.

What do you think of that?

Resting in Him,
Clete

Hilston

Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Sozo

Jim.. why do you dance around, instead of just telling them plainly?
I have no idea what you're talking about. It seems you mistake your own inability to follow a discussion as "dancing around." Here's where it started, and I couldn't have been plainer.

"Telling them plainly"

Hilston

Hall of Fame
I see. You know, you could have just said so in the first place.
See my reply to Sozo above.

There are some Acts 9 Dispensationalists who don't think that communion should be practiced at all; that it is nothing more than an observance of the Passover Feist of Israel and therefore has no place in the Body of Christ in the first place.

What do you think of that?
If they're referring to ritual communion, I agree completely. However, biblical communion (koinonia) as a non-ritual is vital to the church.

I'm curious: What do some Acts 9ers have against observing a feast of Israel?

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
There are a lot of things that the modern church does that are not done properly.

Sozo

I have no idea what you're talking about. It seems you mistake your own inability to follow a discussion as "dancing around." Here's where it started, and I couldn't have been plainer.

"Telling them plainly"

I had fully read each of your posts. I have seen your responses amount to nothing more than childish wit whacking. Even though I believe that I agree with your answer.

Did you see this post?

Timothy

Re: What is Acts 9 Dispensationalism?

Originally posted by Nimrod I did a google search, please tell me where it is wrong so I could better understand you better.

Nimrod: You will also find that "mid Acts" is probably a more common reference, description or term, than that of "Acts 9."

Probably the most comprehensive introductory explanation of the "mid Acts" dispensational viewpoint would be the book "Things that Differ - The Fundamentals of Dispensationalism" by Cornelius R. Stam. It can be read online in at least two places:

http://www.bijbel.nl/things_that_differ.htm
http://midacts.net/books/things_that_differ.html

Probably the most descriptive chart explaining the "mid Acts" dispensational viewpoint is this one:

rightly_dividing.jpg

BChristianK

"For if I do this thing willingly, I have a reward: but if against my will, a dispensation of the gospel is committed unto me."
-1 Corinthians 9:17
"That in the dispensation of the fullness of times he might gather together in one all things in Christ, both which are in heaven, and which are on the earth; even in him:"
-Ephesians 1:10
"If ye have heard of the dispensation of the grace of God which is given me to you-ward:"
-Ephesians 3:2
"Whereof I am made a minister, according to the dispensation of God which is given to me for you, to fulfill the word of God:"
-Colossians 1:25

Lighthouse,

I don't deny that these passages exist, I do question that they mean what many mid-acts dispensationalists claim they mean.

I question that we can go from Paul saying that God has given him a responsibility to proclaim the gospel to claiming that his conversion inaugurated a change in God's economy. I think that it is a stretch to say that the dispensation of grace is a parenthesis of time that originated at the conversion of Paul and will culminate at a rapture that precedes a tribulation period of exactly 7 years, during which, a salvation by works economy will return.

I have a hard time getting from Paul being given a dispensation (responsibility) to carry out a particular ministry to the conclusions I described above.

And I have come to these conclusion based on a number of things. Here are some things that trouble me about mid-acts dispensationalism.

1. The arbitrariness of the rapture.
There is literally only one mention of such an event that is described in 1 Th 4:17 and the similarities to Matthew 24:30-31 are too hard to explain away. I found myself saying, “had I not come to the text assuming these two events were different, I would probably have concluded that they were the same.
In fact, I can’t find any scriptural reason to conclude that the event in 1 Th 4:17 and Matthew 24:30-31 aren’t the same.
2. Too much of dispensational theology hangs on a singular interpretation of the 70 weeks of Daniel. There are many interpretations of this passage, and to assume that there is somehow some mysterious break in the sequence where a church age can be inserted is a textbook case of eisegesis. But this is a lynchpin for dispensationalists because unless you can pull a 7 year tribulation out of Daniel you can’t get it anywhere else in scripture. My problem with a dispensational reading of the 70 weeks of Daniel is that the church age is arbitrarily inserted, why not just assume that the 70th week follows the 69th week, as weeks tend to do. Were this not enough, not even John, who was told not to seal up his prophecy (Rev 22:10), mentions in revelation that the tribulation is 7 years. Not even once.

Just a few things to ponder…

Grace and Peace

Hilston

Hall of Fame
BChristianK,

"Dispensation" refers to a household law. Paul was given a different law from that of Israel and the Nations. Paul's law, the Gospel of the Mystery, the Body of Christ, was held is utter silence from the foundation of the world. Not one syllable of this facet of God's elect had been revealed prior to Paul's conversion.

Paul identifies his gospel as that which was unknown to the prophets of old. He calls it a Mystery, and when he gives the content of it, it is completely different from Israel's Law.

See this link HERE for more detail.

BChristianK

Hilston,

Thank you for your reply. I will attempt to be a bit more direct in this post for clarity sake. I hope you will continue to ascribe a friendly tone as that is what I intend.

You said:

That's because you mistakenly assume harmony is the absence of distinctions. If you come to a verse in which Paul tells you that certain information had been held in silence, completely hidden from the Jewish prophets (Ro 11:25 1Co 2:7 Eph 1:9 3:3-9 5:32 6:19 Col 1:26,27 2:2 4:3 1Ti 3:9,16), shouldn't that tell you that there is a difference between their message and Paul's?
Absolutely. But you assume that the differences constitute a discontinuity from the Jewish prophets, I do not.
When you read the New Testament straight through, the differences between Peter's teachings and Paul's teachings are glaring, unless, of course, you're determined to mash everything together into an amalgamated lump of confusion and murkiness.
I disagree, but then the same could be said that unless you’re determined to see differences, those differences don’t seam so glaring.
First of all, it isn't an importation. The word and concept (oikonomia = household law, 1Co 9:17 Eph 1:10 3:2 Col 1:25) are patently taught in scripture.
The concept of dispensation is patently taught in scripture. However, shifting from an understanding that a dispensation is a commission or a responsibility to an understanding of the term that assumes it is a temporal economy of God is not patently taught in scripture.

I’ve had many conversations with some very sharp dispensationalists on TOL and I have not yet been given reason enough to conclude that oikonomia means anything other than BDAG suggests it means.
1. A responsibility of management
2. A Plan.
3. Program of instruction or training.

In order to accept a dispensational theology, one must apply a temporal dimension to the word that I don’t think can be substantiated. In fact, if one looks at dispensational charts, one will see that dispensations are primarily seen as era’s of time.

Furthermore, of the 7 or 9 or 12 dispensations that many dispensationalists claim exist, only one of those is even hinted at in scripture as being called a “dispensation”, and that is if you stretch the meaning of the word oikonomia.
Paul said the grace given to him was to the intent that he make all men see what is the dispensation of the mystery, which from the beginning of the world hath been hid in God, who created all things by Jesus Christ: (Eph 3:9). How can you miss this?
You can’t miss these verses. What you can miss, and should notice is not there, is the conclusion that Paul was given a divergent gospel than Peter to preach among the gentiles.
Furthermore, what you call harmonization, I call eisogetical shoehorning. The true harmonization of scripture is achieved by rightly dividing the Word of truth, making exegetically clear and logically sound distinctions between Israel's scriptures and the Body-of-Christ's.
I think this particular interpretation of “rightly dividing the word of truth” is eisogetical shoehorning, considering the fact that orqotomew means “to cut a path in a straight direction.” (See LXX proverbs 3:6 and 11:5 where it cannot mean what you want it to mean)
So one can certainly rightly divide the word of truth but orqotomew doesn’t mean sectioning off parts of scripture as inapplicable given a current era of time.
One baptism. How much more clear can one be?
One baptism, and of course that means that there cannot be both a baptism of the Holy Spirit and a water baptism ‘cause that would be 2 baptisms, right? Except for the fact that such wrangling of scripture can only be done when one ignores the context of the passage.

Paul is speaking of the unity of the body. There is one Spirit, one Lord, one faith and one Baptism, and one God. Incidentally, mid-acts dispensationalism violates the context of the passage in my opinion, claiming that there are two faiths (one faith in one gospel and one faith in another gospel). Two baptisms (one of water for the circumcised and one of spirit for the uncircumcised). But beyond that, if we accept the methodology by which you interpret this passage, we cannot conclude that anyone to whom Paul wrote in Ephesians could ever die physically by way of persecution, since Jesus made clear that the persecutorial death that He suffered was a type of baptism (Mark 10:38). So if they are ever persecuted unto death, then they would have had two baptisms, one of the Spirit and the other a baptism of death, which clearly can’t happen and there be one baptism.

Now if you will claim that such logic is ridiculous and we are now comparing apples to oranges, I would agree. And the same ridiculous comparison of apples to oranges must be done to say that one cannot be both baptized of the Spirit and also be water baptized.
The Body of Christ is instructed to shun religious ceremony and ritual (Gal 4:8-11 Col 2:8-23). How much more clear can one be?
Was the body of Christ instructed to shun the Lord’s Supper?

Isn’t that a “religious ceremony?”

Are all Christians supposed to get married by a justice of the peace or by Elvis in a chapel in Vegas since getting married in a church with a pastor would constitute a “religious ceremony?”
The Body of Christ is seated above angels, and therefore above ritual ceremony (1Co 6:3 Eph 1:20 2:6 3:10).
Where in 1 Cor 6:3 does it talk about ritual ceremony? Where in Eph 1:20? You must have a different version than I do since my bible doesn’t mention religious ceremony in Ephesians 1 whatsoever. ;)

And again, if you can please show me where I can find that we are above ceremony in 2:6 or 3:10 I’d appreciate you posting them since my bible doesn’t mention our being above ceremony in any of these passages.
;)
Did you read the aforementioned link?
Yes, it is an argument from a chiasm and it is only one interpretation of the apex of the chiasm. Personally, I don’t even think it is the best interpretation of the apex of the chiasm.
Not only does it make the case for eschewing water baptism, but for shunning all ceremonial rituals and practices as well. You have more than one "single verse" saying "stop baptizing."
How about we start with that one verse that explicitly and literally says, “stop baptizing” and then work our way toward chiastic arguments that have more than one viable interpretation.
There's a whole host of biblical principles that apply. Furthermore, yours is an argument from silence.
It is an argument that says that if scripture doesn’t say it, I am not going to believe it.
The purpose of the Greek scriptures outside of the Pauline corpus is to record the historical narratives of the Messiah's life, death, resurrection and ascension, the decline of the nation of Israel, and prescriptions for future Israel.
Unfortunately, that is not why John told us he wrote his gospel.

John 20:31 but these have been written that you may believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God; and that believing you may have life in His name.

What about that is untrue? Given that John telegraphs his purpose, how much of John’s gospel can I say is not applicable to me?

Now concerning 1 Cor 1:17, you asked:
Ask yourself this question: In light of Mt 28:19,20, could Peter have uttered those words?

We must first take into consideration the fact that Paul was not dismissing the Corinthian’s practice of baptism but rather that he was dismissing the identification they held with the person who was doing the baptizing. There was an inordinate loyalty to the one who presided over the baptismal ceremony. Nowhere in the passage does Paul rebuke them for practicing baptism, only for their lack of understanding of what baptism symbolized…

1 Corinthians 1:13 Has Christ been divided? Was Paul crucified for you? Or were you baptized in the name of Paul?

Clearly they were not baptized in the name of Paul, or of Apollos or of Cephas, but rather had been baptized in the name of Christ.

Interestingly, the context of the passage raises more of an argument against the mid-acts dispensationalists position than it does for it. Why do we see that even up to the time of the writing of 1 Corinthians that baptism was practiced? And among gentiles! Paul established the church in Corinth during his second missionary journey. During that time, Paul baptized Crispus, the synagogue official (Acts 18:8, 1 Cor 1:14). Gaius and Stephanus. But what is an important detail and one that is quite telling is that many of the Corinthians who heard Paul.
Acts 18:8 Crispus, the official of the synagogue, became a believer in the Lord, together with all his household; and many of the Corinthians who heard Paul became believers and were baptized.

. If we are to take Paul at his word that he did not baptize anyone other than Crispus, Gaius and the household of Stephanus (1 Cor 1:14) To the best of Paul’s recollection, then we must assume that the many who were baptized in Corinth were baptized by someone other than Paul. It would seam a bit strange to characterize Crispus, Gaius and Stephanus’ household as many. Especially for a commercial center of the Roman empire.

This historical contexualization tells us first, that Paul probably meant that he was not sent to personally baptize but to preach the gospel ( 1 Cor 1:17). In other words, Paul’s primary commission was not to get into the river and dunk ‘em personally, it was his commission to preach the gospel. This does not preclude the fact that many people were baptized under the ministry of Paul, but probably not dunked by Paul himself.

Second, and more importantly, this brings up a huge historical problem for the mid-acts dispensationalist. As you have cited above, you argue that Galatians is one book from which we can gather the scriptural principle that baptism was made obsolete.

Remember this?
The Body of Christ is instructed to shun religious ceremony and ritual (Gal 4:8-11 Col 2:8-23). How much more clear can one be?
Well if it cannot be any more clear then why is it that Paul, writing to Galatia circa 48 A.D., is certain that religious ceremony should be shunned (including and especially baptism according to you), but that Paul, during his second missionary journey (A.D. 52) personally baptized Crispus, Gaius and the household of Stephanus (1 Cor 1:14-16), and witnessed the many baptisms of Corinthians who heard his message (Acts 18:8), and didn’t say one single word to stop them???

Did Paul just forget that 4 years earlier he had argued that baptism was put away as a result of all religious ceremonies being shunned?

And then, while in Emphasis when he penned 1 Corinthians (A.D. 55), why didn’t Paul straighten the whole mess out, and tell the Corinthians to stop doing all that crazy water baptizing? Are we to believe that 3 years after Paul flubs up and allows all those Corinthians to be baptized he wouldn’t clearly tell them to stop all that baptizing nonsense?

Instead, Paul takes a different tack. He refocuses them on Who they have been baptized into and because of and in the Name of, and takes their focus off who has done the dunking.

He doesn’t rebuke Appolos for baptizing or Peter (Cephas) for baptizing or even apologize for baptizing anyone when he did so 3 years ealier. Rather, he points out that their baptisms weren’t done in his name or anyone else’s name other than Christ (1 Cor 1:13).

Mid-acts dispensationalism is riddled with historical problems, this is just one of many, but this one is far from insignificant. Mid-acts dispensationalism is simply at a loss to explain why Paul would repudiate baptism in 48 A.D., turn around and personally baptize 2 folks and a household 4 years later in Corinth in 52 A.D. (and allow the baptisms of many other Corinthians during that same visit), and then turn around again in 55 A.D. and make a statement that you interpret as repudiation of water baptism in 55 A.D. Do you really think Paul was that schizophrenic?
I appreciate the irenic tone of your post. Please let me know if you have further questions or require further elaboration.

And I appreciate your irenic tone in your response. I hope that my directness has not deterred you from thinking that I intent our conversation to remain irenic. I would appreciate it if you would address the historical problem posed by your interpretation as I have outlined it above. I do that that warrants further elaboration

CariV kai Eirhnh

Last edited: