What is Acts 9 Dispensationalism?

BChristianK

Originally posted by Hilston

BChristianK,

Your last post to me slipped through the cracks! I'm very sorry for the delay. Your post was rather long, so it may take a little while to compose my reply. I may offer my response in parts, so you won't have to wait as long. Your post was obviously well thought and carefully written, and deserves an appropriate reply.

Thanks for the discussion; I'll be in touch.

Take your time. Life is about to get exceptionally busy for me so if you respond and I don't get back to you right away, it's not because I don't want to continue the conversation.

My wife and I are expecting our first in the next couple of weeks and somethin' tells me that will inaugurate the "dispensation of busyness" :chuckle:

Grace and Peace

Nineveh

Merely Christian
> > > OFF TOPIC POST :)

Originally posted by BChristianK
My wife and I are expecting our first in the next couple of weeks and somethin' tells me that will inaugurate the "dispensation of busyness"

Congrats!

Whatta Christmas gift! :)

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame

Lighthouse,

I asked of the folks in Acts 19 needed to be baptized, you said:

Then I asked how they would have known that, you replied:

I never claimed that they thought they were saved by it. What I hoped to get an answer to was how anyone was supposed to know that they weren’t supposed to be baptized. I don't claim that anyone is saved by baptism in any dispensation (or covenant). Nonetheless, they were baptized, the Phillipian jailer was baptized and these guys were baptized in addition to the many Corinthians.
No one said anything about "supposed to/not supposed to." There is absolutely nothing wrong with baptism. But it is not a must. End of story.

All of this happened during a time when the mid-acts dispensationalists say baptism was put away.
You might want to re-read the Acts 9 view. It is not that baptism was put away. It is that baptism isn't necessary.

Now my next questions becomes very pertinent. I asked when a dispensation starts, you said:

Ok, since a dispensation begins either when God communicates the new message or when the person responsible starts preaching it. Lets work with the first since it gives you the most latitude. When did God communicate to Paul that baptism was abrogated?
I don't know. Hold on. I need to look up "abrogated."

Okay. I still don't know when that happened. And I don't stand to reason that it was repealed. And, if you re-read the view, you will see that the 12 still practiced baptism, and it was not repealed for them, and theri converts.

If you say before Acts 19, you make Paul both stupid and disobedient. Stupid for knowing full well that baptism was set aside and disobedient for baptizing for 20 years anyway.
See above.

I do not believe that God ever told Paul that He could not baptize.

If you say that God didn’t reveal that baptism was put away until approx Act 19 (A.D. 52+) then you can’t very well say that the dispensation wherein baptism is set aside was inaugurated in acts 9 now can you? Because a dispensation doesn’t start until God communicates the new message to the person responsible to preach it, at the earliest, according to your own admission.
Have you been paying attention to my above replies? I hope so, because I'm not repeating myself, here.

So which is it, is Paul a disobedient oaf or are you now an Acts 19 Dispensationalist?

:D

Grace and Peace
Well? What do you conclude?

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame

Lighthouse,

So I know what I'm being accused of, please define "legalist."
You say that we are not allowed to celebrate any holidays, or practice baptism...and many other things.

Also, I'm curious. Have you ever read the Bible?
No. Huh uh. Never.:rolleyes:

Hilston

Hall of Fame
Hilston asked: So I know what I'm being accused of, please define "legalist."

Lighthouse writes: You say that we are not allowed to celebrate any holidays, or practice baptism...and many other things.
Decrying unbiblical behavior doesn't make one a legalist. Jesus restricted behavior. So did Paul. Neither of them were legalists. So I ask again:

Please define "legalist." That means, offer a definition. Like this:

"legalist" means _______________definition here_______________.

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
"legalist" means one who makes additions to the rules of their dispensation. In this case, it means one who says there are laws, even though the Bible says we are not under a law. And since that is straight from Paul's letters it is obviously for this dispensation. So, to say we are forbidden from observing holidays, when we know they have nothing to do with our salvation, is legalistic. The same goes for baptism.:doh:

Hilston

Hall of Fame
Originally posted by lighthouse

"legalist" means one who makes additions to the rules of their dispensation. In this case, it means one who says there are laws, even though the Bible says we are not under a law. And since that is straight from Paul's letters it is obviously for this dispensation. So, to say we are forbidden from observing holidays, when we know they have nothing to do with our salvation, is legalistic. The same goes for baptism.:doh:
So, in other words, you're making up a definition just to take pot shots at me. If would read your Bible, it is quite clear what a legalist is. But I won't bore you with stuff you're obviously not interested in.

Lighthouse, does your mommy or daddy know that get on the internet and try to act like a grown-up? They should be telling you how dangerous that is, because when children get on the internet and try to act like adults, bad things are bound to happen. In your case, you've ended up looking like a pathetic schlub who doesn't have a real life, doesn't have real friends, and is reduced to role-playing in a venue where people can't see what a pathetic schlub you really are.

I've seen this sort of thing time and again. It's clear from your posting pattern that you're simply a flaneur that doesn't have a life. Pathetic doesn't really begin to describe what it must be like to be so unimportant, so abjectly incidental, that you have to come to places like TOL just to make pseudo-friends and to convince yourself someone actually cares to hear the malodorous sludge that spews forth from your peurile and idiotic mind.

Thank you for being such an amusing little troll.

BChristianK

No one said anything about "supposed to/not supposed to." There is absolutely nothing wrong with baptism. But it is not a must. End of story.
It is not a must? So, in your view, Paul was out practicing an unneccesary ordinance for 20 years of his ministry?
You might want to re-read the Acts 9 view. It is not that baptism was put away. It is that baptism isn't necessary.
Perhaps I have misrepresented Acts 9 views but according to Bob Hill.
After Israel had been set aside, part of Paul’s ministry was to show Israel this fact. God pronounced for the final time, through Paul, that Israel had been set aside (Acts 28:28). This happened when Paul made his inspired judicial decree quoting Isaiah 6:9,10. The baptisms imposed on Israel were set aside until God would be dealing with Israel again in the tribulation. For instance, water baptism will be necessary for salvation again when Peter’s epistles will be in God’s program for the tribulation period (1 Pet. 3:20,21).

Now there is one baptism. After his Acts 28:28 decree, Paul was inspired to write Ephesians. In it he wrote Eph 4:4,5, “There is one body and one Spirit, just as you were called in one hope of your calling; one Lord, one faith, one baptism.” One baptism? If there is only one baptism, which one is it? Is it water or Holy Spirit? It is Holy Spirit! Why? Because God has suspended the use of water baptism. It has been done away with because God is through with Israel for the time being.
(Bob Hill, Two Bible Studies on Baptism, Salvation and Baptism, The Mystery and Baptism, Located at www.biblicalanswers.com)
Now I don't know what set aside and suspended means to you, but I think it comes pretty close to put away.

BTW, I would invite Knight or anyone more closely identified with Bob Hills teaching to keep me honest, but I don't think that Bob Hill teaches that baptism is prohibited, as if being baptized is a sinful act, but I do know that he thinks it is unneccesary, and that, in light of the current dispensation shouldn't be practiced.

Now regarding the time when God repealed baptism you said:
Okay. I still don't know when that happened.
Isn’t that an important questions to ask given the fact that Jesus commissioned his disciples to baptize and Peter claimed that we should all repent and be baptized? If you don’t know when God repealed baptism then how do you know He did?

And if God didn’t, then shouldn’t we obey Christ’s commission in Matthew 28:19 and Peter’s advice is Acts 2:38?

All of this is pertinent to your next comment;
And I don't stand to reason that it was repealed.

That’s fine, and it sounds like you are still testing the waters of mid-acts dispensationalism. But, that is an answer that is inconsistent with an acts 9 dispensational view.
And, if you re-read the view, you will see that the 12 still practiced baptism, and it was not repealed for them, and their converts.
Understood, but none of the examples we have been discussing are examples of individuals converted under the gospel of the circumcision. Furthermore, I think, though I am not sure, that the mid-acts dispensational view sees that gospel as set aside at the conversion of Paul. So even Cornelius, though converted under Peter, was still subject to the terms and conditions (so to speak) of Paul’s gospel.

You further say:
I do not believe that God ever told Paul that He could not baptize.
Did God tell Paul that baptism was unnecessary? When did this happen?

Have you been paying attention to my above replies? I hope so, because I'm not repeating myself, here.
Forgive me if I am a little slow, Lighthouse, but I don’t think you have given an answer to this quandary. I’m beginning to get the impression that you don’t know the answer and are covering with a hint of aggressiveness.

Your discussing a friend Lighthouse, if you don’t know, I won’t rub your nose in it. Ther are plenty of questions I can’t answer so I know the feeling. If you do know, and have answered me, then I would simply ask for your patient indulgence in either pointing me to the post and the paragraph of the answer or imposing on you to cut and paste the answer in your next post.

Finally regarding the issue of whether Paul was disobedient or whether the current dispensation started in Acts 19 you said:
Well? What do you conclude?

I conclude neither. Such an unacceptable quandary leads me to abandon a dispensational system altogether and conclude that the current age started at the death, burial and resurrection of our Lord. I conclude that we are in a New Covenant age with a gospel message that both Peter and Paul share, each making that core message relevant to their respecting audiences, but the requirements for both are the same.

Grace and Peace

Hilston

Hall of Fame
BChristianK,

Here is a partial reply to about half of your post. Please let me know if anything is unclear or if any references don't seem to line up.

Hilston wrote: That's because you mistakenly assume harmony is the absence of distinctions. If you come to a verse in which Paul tells you that certain information had been held in silence, completely hidden from the Jewish prophets (Ro 11:25 1Co 2:7 Eph 1:9 3:3-9 5:32 6:19 Col 1:26,27 2:2 4:3 1Ti 3:9,16), shouldn't that tell you that there is a difference between their message and Paul's?

BChristianK writes:
Absolutely. But you assume that the differences constitute a discontinuity from the Jewish prophets, I do not.
How do you resolve this: Jesus commanded the disciples AFTER His death, burial and resurrection to keep the Law of Moses, including the blood sacrifices and burnt offerings and circumcision. Paul commanded against doing these things.

Hilston wrote:
First of all, it isn't an importation. The word and concept (oikonomia = household law, 1Co 9:17 Eph 1:10 3:2 Col 1:25) are patently taught in scripture.

BChristianK writes:
The concept of dispensation is patently taught in scripture. However, shifting from an understanding that a dispensation is a commission or a responsibility to an understanding of the term that assumes it is a temporal economy of God is not patently taught in scripture.
There is no shift in what you've stated. The commission or responsibility necessarily includes a temporal economy that defines the commission or responsibility.

BChristianK writes:
I’ve had many conversations with some very sharp dispensationalists on TOL and I have not yet been given reason enough to conclude that oikonomia means anything other than BDAG suggests it means.
1. A responsibility of management
2. A Plan.
3. Program of instruction or training.
I agree with BDAG.

BChristianK writes:
In order to accept a dispensational theology, one must apply a temporal dimension to the word that I don’t think can be substantiated. In fact, if one looks at dispensational charts, one will see that dispensations are primarily seen as era’s of time.
That is a false dispensationalism. The word itself says nothing of time. It's the application and context that brings in the concept of time. And since we see unambiguous data affirming the overlap of dispensations, to view the word in terms of abutted time periods is biblically unwarranted.

BChristianK writes:
Furthermore, of the 7 or 9 or 12 dispensations that many dispensationalists claim exist, only one of those is even hinted at in scripture as being called a “dispensation”, and that is if you stretch the meaning of the word oikonomia.
I would join you in criticism of that eisegetical fabrication.

Hilston wrote: Paul said the grace given to him was to the intent that he make all men see what is the dispensation of the mystery, which from the beginning of the world hath been hid in God, who created all things by Jesus Christ: (Eph 3:9). How can you miss this?

BChristianK writes:
You can’t miss these verses. What you can miss, and should notice is not there, is the conclusion that Paul was given a divergent gospel than Peter to preach among the gentiles.
I'm all ears, BCK. Much of what I read in Paul is in contrast to Peter's gospel. The entire epistle to the Galatians, in particular the verse and surrounding context of 2:7.

Hilston wrote:
Furthermore, what you call harmonization, I call eisogetical shoehorning. The true harmonization of scripture is achieved by rightly dividing the Word of truth, making exegetically clear and logically sound distinctions between Israel's scriptures and the Body-of-Christ's.

BChristianK writes:
So one can certainly rightly divide the word of truth but orqotomew doesn’t mean sectioning off parts of scripture as inapplicable given a current era of time.
It appears that I am going to have to spend a lot of time disabusing you of whatever preconceived (and erroneous) notions you have concerning the mid-Acts view. Apparently you've been conversing with or reading the writings of those who don't know what they're talking about. If your understanding of the mid-Acts view comes from quasi-deists like Bob Hill or Bob Enyart, I have to reconsider whether or not I want to continue this discussion because of time constraints. You're welcome to visit my church's website where there are scads of detailed papers concerning biblical dispensationalism, and not the man-made Open-Theist-hyper-Arminian mumbo jumbo that gets half-heartedly lobbed around these fora.

Hilston wrote: One baptism. How much more clear can one be?

BChristianK writes:
One baptism, and of course that means that there cannot be both a baptism of the Holy Spirit and a water baptism ‘cause that would be 2 baptisms, right? Except for the fact that such wrangling of scripture can only be done when one ignores the context of the passage.
I see, so "One Lord" must include other Lords, as well, right? How many Gods do you recognize, BCK? If you're going to logically consistent tell me what other Faiths besides the One Faith Paul might have in mind.

BChristianK writes:
Paul is speaking of the unity of the body. There is one Spirit, one Lord, one faith and one Baptism, and one God.
Yes, and this unity is based on the understanding that the Body of Christ has but one of each of these. The earthly Kingdom had many, respectively. Please see the following link for further detail: The Seven Ones.

BChristianK writes:
Incidentally, mid-acts dispensationalism violates the context of the passage in my opinion, claiming that there are two faiths (one faith in one gospel and one faith in another gospel).
Actually, more than two for Israel and the nations. See the above link. Also, notice that the writer of Hebrew acknowledged the many baptisms of Israel and the nations.

Heb 6:2 Of the doctrine of baptisms, and of laying on of hands, and of resurrection of the dead, and of eternal judgment.

BChristianK writes:
Two baptisms (one of water for the circumcised and one of spirit for the uncircumcised).
I don't know where you've gotten these ideas about the mid-Acts view, but they're way off. The Circumicision has multiple baptisms: that of the spirit, that of water, that of ceremonial washing in their Temple liturgy, etc.

BChristianK writes:
But beyond that, if we accept the methodology by which you interpret this passage, we cannot conclude that anyone to whom Paul wrote in Ephesians could ever die physically by way of persecution, since Jesus made clear that the persecutorial death that He suffered was a type of baptism (Mark 10:38). So if they are ever persecuted unto death, then they would have had two baptisms, one of the Spirit and the other a baptism of death, which clearly can’t happen and there be one baptism.
You're assuming that Jesus intended to extend His statement to others beyond the Twelve (or even the Two in the passage). The text doesn't support that. If I were to die for my faith, it wouldn't be that baptism Jesus spoke of. When the sons of Zebedee died for their faith, it was.

Hilston wrote: The Body of Christ is instructed to shun religious ceremony and ritual (Gal 4:8-11 Col 2:8-23). How much more clear can one be?

BChristianK writes:
Was the body of Christ instructed to shun the Lord’s Supper? Isn’t that a “religious ceremony?”
Yes. The Passover meal was a ceremonial, symbolic, religious rite of Israel. Paul prohibits this behavior for the Body of Christ.

BChristianK writes:
Are all Christians supposed to get married by a justice of the peace or by Elvis in a chapel in Vegas since getting married in a church with a pastor would constitute a “religious ceremony?”
Yes, exactly. In fact, our church does not perform weddings. Everyone in our church who has gotten married since its genesis has been married by a mayor or justice of the peace. To have a religious wedding ceremony would be a violation of the Mystery.

Hilston wrote:
The Body of Christ is seated above angels, and therefore above ritual ceremony (1Co 6:3 Eph 1:20 2:6 3:10).

BChristianK writes:
Where in 1 Cor 6:3 does it talk about ritual ceremony?
You have to connect the dots, BCK. The Body of Christ will judge angels. That means we are adminstratively superior to them, not under them, as were Israel and the nations.

BChristianK writes:
Where in Eph 1:20?
Again, connect the dots. If the Body of Christ is seated with Christ above the angelic realm, we are not subject to them as were Israel and the nations. The very idea of men being in heaven is unprecedented in all of the Jewish scriptures. Israel's hope was ever to dwell in her Land and to righteously govern and bless the elect nations under the auspices of the angelic realm. But the Body of Christ will judge angels. That is unprecedented. The Body of Christ will dwell in heaven. That is unprecedented.

BChristianK writes:
And again, if you can please show me where I can find that we are above ceremony in 2:6 or 3:10 I’d appreciate you posting them since my bible doesn’t mention our being above ceremony in any of these passages.
The same rationale applies. Eph 3:10 describes the angelic realm as learning of God's grace via the Body of Christ. This is unprecedented, because throughout Israel's scriptures, the angels were tutors to them. Angels were never before instructed by men, but now that has changed, because the Body of Christ is seated with it Head above them.

Hilston asked: Did you read the aforementioned link?

BChristianK writes:
Yes, it is an argument from a chiasm and it is only one interpretation of the apex of the chiasm. Personally, I don’t even think it is the best interpretation of the apex of the chiasm.
What is your interpretation?

I'll stop here for now. This is about the halfway point of your post. More later.

Last edited:

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame

So, in other words, you're making up a definition just to take pot shots at me. If would read your Bible, it is quite clear what a legalist is. But I won't bore you with stuff you're obviously not interested in.
I didn't make anything up. The Pharisees said there were rules that didn't exist, and Christ called them on it. You are doing what they did.

Lighthouse, does your mommy or daddy know that get on the internet and try to act like a grown-up?
I'm 24, and I don't live with either of my parents.

They should be telling you how dangerous that is, because when children get on the internet and try to act like adults, bad things are bound to happen. In your case, you've ended up looking like a pathetic schlub who doesn't have a real life, doesn't have real friends, and is reduced to role-playing in a venue where people can't see what a pathetic schlub you really are.
:blabla:

I've seen this sort of thing time and again. It's clear from your posting pattern that you're simply a flaneur that doesn't have a life. Pathetic doesn't really begin to describe what it must be like to be so unimportant, so abjectly incidental, that you have to come to places like TOL just to make pseudo-friends and to convince yourself someone actually cares to hear the malodorous sludge that spews forth from your peurile and idiotic mind.
You're a trip, Mr. Inmate.

Thank you for being such an amusing little troll.
:shut:

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame

It is not a must? So, in your view, Paul was out practicing an unneccesary ordinance for 20 years of his ministry?
Yeah. So? I was baptised. It wasn't necessary, for any reason, but it was a public confession of faith. Get over it.

Perhaps I have misrepresented Acts 9 views but according to Bob Hill.

Now I don't know what set aside and suspended means to you, but I think it comes pretty close to put away.
The Acts 9 view is that it is not necessary for salvation. So, it was put away in that it is no necessary for salvation. Nothing more.

BTW, I would invite Knight or anyone more closely identified with Bob Hills teaching to keep me honest, but I don't think that Bob Hill teaches that baptism is prohibited, as if being baptized is a sinful act, but I do know that he thinks it is unneccesary, and that, in light of the current dispensation shouldn't be practiced.
Well, that's partially my stance. But I'm not going to tell anyone who gets baptized that it was wrong, unless they think it was necessary for the purpose of salvation or for the remission of sin.

Now regarding the time when God repealed baptism you said:

Isn’t that an important questions to ask given the fact that Jesus commissioned his disciples to baptize and Peter claimed that we should all repent and be baptized? If you don’t know when God repealed baptism then how do you know He did?
I don't know that He did. But I know that it isn't necessary for salvation, and that is the only thing that matters.

And if God didn’t, then shouldn’t we obey Christ’s commission in Matthew 28:19 and Peter’s advice is Acts 2:38?
It doesn't matter either way. We are not bound to a law of any ordinances. It is not a must, and we are not condemned for not practicing baptism.

All of this is pertinent to your next comment;

That’s fine, and it sounds like you are still testing the waters of mid-acts dispensationalism. But, that is an answer that is inconsistent with an acts 9 dispensational view.
Like I've said, I'm new to the doctrine.

Understood, but none of the examples we have been discussing are examples of individuals converted under the gospel of the circumcision. Furthermore, I think, though I am not sure, that the mid-acts dispensational view sees that gospel as set aside at the conversion of Paul. So even Cornelius, though converted under Peter, was still subject to the terms and conditions (so to speak) of Paul’s gospel.
You are mistaken in this. The two of them overlapped, because the 12 were still preaching their dispensation when Paul started preaching his. But when the disciples and their converts passed, then their dispensation came to a complete end.

You further say:

Did God tell Paul that baptism was unnecessary? When did this happen?
Does Paul say that baptism is necessary for salvation?

Forgive me if I am a little slow, Lighthouse, but I don’t think you have given an answer to this quandary. I’m beginning to get the impression that you don’t know the answer and are covering with a hint of aggressiveness.
If Paul says that baptism is not necessary for salvation, would it not stand to reason that God told him such?

Your discussing a friend Lighthouse, if you don’t know, I won’t rub your nose in it. Ther are plenty of questions I can’t answer so I know the feeling. If you do know, and have answered me, then I would simply ask for your patient indulgence in either pointing me to the post and the paragraph of the answer or imposing on you to cut and paste the answer in your next post.
I was referring to how I answered the question in in the same reply where I asked if you had been paying attention to them. I was not trying to be mean. I was kidding around, because I figured you would have read my answers by the time you got to that point in my reply. And I hope I have answered you, by now. It is the best answer I can gather, based on scripture.

Finally regarding the issue of whether Paul was disobedient or whether the current dispensation started in Acts 19 you said:

I conclude neither. Such an unacceptable quandary leads me to abandon a dispensational system altogether and conclude that the current age started at the death, burial and resurrection of our Lord. I conclude that we are in a New Covenant age with a gospel message that both Peter and Paul share, each making that core message relevant to their respecting audiences, but the requirements for both are the same.

Grace and Peace
I was asking you what you concluded of my stance. I was asking if you had gotten the answer you sought. That was all. And Peter says baptism saves. Paul says faith alone saves. Even James says we are justified by works, while Paul said we are justified by faith alone. So the question is, why do they contradict? And I can only conclude that it is because they are preaching to different sets of people. The 12 were preaching to the Jews, who were used to works, and Paul was preaching mostly to the Gentiles, who were never required to do any works of the law. But, if you believe that it all changed at the death, burial and resurrection then you are of an Acts 2 dispensational system. Because that is the first chapter after Christ's ascension...which happens right after He gives the great commission.

BChristianK

Yeah. So? I was baptized. It wasn't necessary, for any reason, but it was a public confession of faith. Get over it.
Should you have been baptized?
The Acts 9 view is that it is not necessary for salvation.
That is only part of the acts 9 view, the other half of the story is that, according to mid-acts dispensational theology, you shouldn’t have been baptized at all. Furthermore, believing that baptism is not a work unto salvation is not unique to the acts 9 view. Acts 2 dispy's, Covenant theologians of the Calvinist and Lutheran stripe and New Covenant theology folks all think that salvation is a "must" but is not a sacrament that bestows salvation.
So, it was put away in that it is no necessary for salvation. Nothing more.
So it was necessary for salvation before acts 9, and not after, although God never bothered to tell anyone as much until after acts 19.

That's one of my big objections to acts 9. It seems to gerrymander dispensational boundaries to try to resolve apparent inconsistencies. but the gerrymandering creates inconsistencies that cause greater problem in my opinion.

Now I asked of Cornelius was incorrectly baptized, to which you replied.

You are mistaken in this. The two of them overlapped, because the 12 were still preaching their dispensation when Paul started preaching his. But when the disciples and their converts passed, then their dispensation came to a complete end.
So everyone that received the preaching of the 12 (Peter included) was under the gospel of the circumcision?

If so, then explain to me which Gospel the region of Galatia was under. The gospel of the circumcision (1 and 2 Peter were written to churches in Galatia) or uncircumscision (Galatians was written to very much the same audience).

BTW, I am pretty sure that Bob Hill disagree’s with you on Cornelius’s household. Cornelius, though preached to by Peter, was saved under a different Gospel than the one given the 12 (according to Bob Hill).

You asked:
Does Paul say that baptism is necessary for salvation?
No, Paul never says that one is saved by baptism. The same gospel preached by the 12. Baptism was the means by which one expresses and proclaims their faith.

And I would argue, it still is.
If Paul says that baptism is not necessary for salvation, would it not stand to reason that God told him such?
That assumes that God told someone else that it was. An assumption I would not agree with.

What’s more, there is no, clear, abrogation of baptism anywhere in scripture. I’m of the opinion that we continue doing what God told us to do until we have a clear message to stop doing it.

The acts 9 argument to this is usually that the gospel of grace was progressively revealed to Paul and therefore from Paul to us. I have no problem with progressive revelation, as long as we eventually get to the revelation part. From my perspective, I just don't see that God revealed an abrogation of baptism anywhere in the scriptures.

I don’t buy the Acts 9 interpretation of 1 Cor chapter 1 and there is no other scripture to hang our hats on for the abrogation of baptism.

Now you say:
And Peter says baptism saves.
Peter says that getting wet saves or the pledge of clear conscience toward God?

Do you think that Paul taught an inconsistent message? That one can have an unclear conscience toward God and do ok?
Paul says faith alone saves.
Paul does.
Even James says we are justified by works, while Paul said we are justified by faith alone.
Perhaps the acts 9'ers have made too much of an apparent contradiction here.

Paul also said that we should "Work out our salvation with fear and trembling..." Should we consider that statement as one from even another dispensation?
So the question is, why do they contradict?

Why does being saved by faith alone and working out your salvation with fear and trembling contradict? Unless…. They don’t…

I Personally don't think they do. Nor do I think that Paul and James contradict. I think Paul was debunking the notion that one is justified in the sight of God by obedience to the law while the reprobate Gentiles are doomed and James was talking about being shown to be justified by practicing generosity, charity and equanimity.

So unless you don't think that generosity has any place in the dispensation of grace, I don't think the two contradict.

Finally you said:
But, if you believe that it all changed at the death, burial and resurrection then you are of an Acts 2 dispensational system.
I'm pretty sure I am ok diagnosing my own theological system, but thanks for the suggestion :D

I actually subscribe more closely with New Covenant theology. Acts 2 dispy's, like Charles Ryrie and Scoffield, still believe(d) in a preturbulation rapture (there are some post-trib and mid-trib folks however).

Most dispensationalists of any stripe think that the church age is a parenthesis in the plan of God. That God's plan for Israel was plan A and the church ended up being Plan B until God picks up with Plan A again after the rapture.

I don't.

In fact, I think that the church age has been the Plan A of God from the beginning and the New Covenant (inaugurated by Christ) is the fullness of God's revelation and the final program of God before His return to initiate eternity.

Grace and Peace

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame

Should you have been baptized?
It isn't a should or should not. It doesn't matter, if we are or we aren't.

That is only part of the acts 9 view, the other half of the story is that, according to mid-acts dispensational theology, you shouldn’t have been baptized at all. Furthermore, believing that baptism is not a work unto salvation is not unique to the acts 9 view. Acts 2 dispy's, Covenant theologians of the Calvinist and Lutheran stripe and New Covenant theology folks all think that salvation is a "must" but is not a sacrament that bestows salvation.
I assume you meant baptism is a must. And I know Acts 9 is not the only view that holds baptism doesn't save. I used to be an Acts 2. Well, looking back on it it seems that's what I was.

So it was necessary for salvation before acts 9, and not after, although God never bothered to tell anyone as much until after acts 19.
I never said that. But some of the verses seem to say that it did save. A lot of people take it to mean that, anyway. There are a few here. And those people believe that it is necessary for salvation. I wonder how they reconcile hydrophobic people being saved without it.:think:

That's one of my big objections to acts 9. It seems to gerrymander dispensational boundaries to try to resolve apparent inconsistencies. but the gerrymandering creates inconsistencies that cause greater problem in my opinion.
I think that depends on how you view it. I know at least one person who said it cleared up their confusion.

Now I asked of Cornelius was incorrectly baptized, to which you replied.

So everyone that received the preaching of the 12 (Peter included) was under the gospel of the circumcision?
Yes.

If so, then explain to me which Gospel the region of Galatia was under. The gospel of the circumcision (1 and 2 Peter were written to churches in Galatia) or uncircumscision (Galatians was written to very much the same audience).
Galatians was written to the Greeks, and the writings of Peter were written to the Jews in Galatia. That seems to be the stance of Acts 9.

BTW, I am pretty sure that Bob Hill disagree’s with you on Cornelius’s household. Cornelius, though preached to by Peter, was saved under a different Gospel than the one given the 12 (according to Bob Hill).
How so?

You asked:

No, Paul never says that one is saved by baptism. The same gospel preached by the 12. Baptism was the means by which one expresses and proclaims their faith.

And I would argue, it still is.
I believe that baptism is a means, but vocally proclaiming can be just as effective.

Now, does Peter ever say that baptism saves?

That assumes that God told someone else that it was. An assumption I would not agree with.
Mark 16:16
1 Peter 3:21
Acts 2:38

What’s more, there is no, clear, abrogation of baptism anywhere in scripture. I’m of the opinion that we continue doing what God told us to do until we have a clear message to stop doing it.
Quit arguing with me as if I believe that baptism should stop.

The acts 9 argument to this is usually that the gospel of grace was progressively revealed to Paul and therefore from Paul to us. I have no problem with progressive revelation, as long as we eventually get to the revelation part. From my perspective, I just don't see that God revealed an abrogation of baptism anywhere in the scriptures.
Neither do I. And I never said I did.

I don’t buy the Acts 9 interpretation of 1 Cor chapter 1 and there is no other scripture to hang our hats on for the abrogation of baptism.
1 Cor. 1:? Verse 17? The one where Paul says he wasn't sent to baptize? What about the verse where Paul says there is one baptism? Which baptism is he speaking of?

Now you say:

Peter says that getting wet saves or the pledge of clear conscience toward God?
"The like figure whereunto even baptism doth also now save us..."
I know what you're getting at, but it still seems that you are saying baptism is a must. And many people argue that baptism does save us, i.e. baptismal regeneration, based on this verse.

Do you think that Paul taught an inconsistent message? That one can have an unclear conscience toward God and do ok?
No. Paul preached that we have a clear conscience, because of Christ. Does that mean that everyone will be baptized? Is anyone saved apart from baptism? I chose Christ when I was 3. I wa baptised three years later. When was I saved?

Paul does.
Okay...

Perhaps the acts 9'ers have made too much of an apparent contradiction here.

Paul also said that we should "Work out our salvation with fear and trembling..." Should we consider that statement as one from even another dispensation?
Paul didn't mean works.

Why does being saved by faith alone and working out your salvation with fear and trembling contradict? Unless…. They don’t…
I never said they did. Where in the world did you come up with this?

I Personally don't think they do. Nor do I think that Paul and James contradict. I think Paul was debunking the notion that one is justified in the sight of God by obedience to the law while the reprobate Gentiles are doomed and James was talking about being shown to be justified by practicing generosity, charity and equanimity.
How so? Where does James say that we are shown to be justified by works? Or does he just say that we are justified by works?

So unless you don't think that generosity has any place in the dispensation of grace, I don't think the two contradict.
:yawn:

Stop arguing with me as if I believe such drivel.

Finally you said:

I'm pretty sure I am ok diagnosing my own theological system, but thanks for the suggestion :D
Well, Acts 2 is the first chapter after the ascension. That's what I mean.

I actually subscribe more closely with New Covenant theology. Acts 2 dispy's, like Charles Ryrie and Scoffield, still believe(d) in a preturbulation rapture (there are some post-trib and mid-trib folks however).
So, you don't beleive in pre-trib? What do you believe in?

Most dispensationalists of any stripe think that the church age is a parenthesis in the plan of God. That God's plan for Israel was plan A and the church ended up being Plan B until God picks up with Plan A again after the rapture.
Well, I guess I wasn't technicall Acts 2, before, then. Except that I have always believed in pre-trib.

I don't.

In fact, I think that the church age has been the Plan A of God from the beginning and the New Covenant (inaugurated by Christ) is the fullness of God's revelation and the final program of God before His return to initiate eternity.

Grace and Peace
So, you're a closed theist?

Hilston

Hall of Fame
BChristianK,

This is part two of an earlier response:

Hilston wrote:
Not only does it make the case for eschewing water baptism, but for shunning all ceremonial rituals and practices as well. You have more than one "single verse" saying "stop baptizing."

BChristianK writes:
How about we start with that one verse that explicitly and literally says, “stop baptizing” ...
Have you now changed the rules? It has to be "explicit" and "literal"? Why can't it be emphatically inferred? "One baptism" is hugely emphatic.

BChristianK writes:
... and then work our way toward chiastic arguments that have more than one viable interpretation.
Do you really believe that? That God intended His Word to have multiple viable interpretations?

Hilston wrote:
There's a whole host of biblical principles that apply. Furthermore, yours is an argument from silence.

BChristianK writes:
It is an argument that says that if scripture doesn’t say it, I am not going to believe it.
What does "one baptism" in Eph 4 mean to you? One of several? Or one and only one? What does "one Lord" mean to you? One of several Lords? Or one and only one?

Hilston writes:
The purpose of the Greek scriptures outside of the Pauline corpus is to record the historical narratives of the Messiah's life, death, resurrection and ascension, the decline of the nation of Israel, and prescriptions for future Israel.

BChristianK writes:
Unfortunately, that is not why John told us he wrote his gospel.

John 20:31 but these have been written that you may believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God; and that believing you may have life in His name.
Check it again, BCK. John says the same thing I said. If the gospels did not record the historical narrative of Messiah's life and work, what documents would there be to affirm the fulfillment of Israel's scriptures?

BChristianK writes:
What about that is untrue? Given that John telegraphs his purpose, how much of John’s gospel can I say is not applicable to me?
Most of it is not applicable to you. It is historical truth that you need to know, but there are no direct prescriptions for Body life to be found in Jewish scripture. They were not writing to the Body of Christ; they didn't even know about the Body of Christ. The Body of Christ, the subject of the Mystery, had been held in silence from the foundation of the world.

BChristianK writes:
Now concerning 1 Cor 1:17, you asked:

Ask yourself this question: In light of Mt 28:19,20, could Peter have uttered those words?

We must first take into consideration the fact that Paul was not dismissing the Corinthian’s practice of baptism but rather that he was dismissing the identification they held with the person who was doing the baptizing. There was an inordinate loyalty to the one who presided over the baptismal ceremony. Nowhere in the passage does Paul rebuke them for practicing baptism, only for their lack of understanding of what baptism symbolized …
I fully grant that. My question still stands. Could Peter have said those same words? Yes or no?

BChristianK writes:
Interestingly, the context of the passage raises more of an argument against the mid-acts dispensationalists position than it does for it. Why do we see that even up to the time of the writing of 1 Corinthians that baptism was practiced? And among gentiles!
It was practiced long after as well. The Corinthian synagogue had a mixture of elect Jews, elect proselytes of the Gate, and the Body of Christ. Three dispensations co-existing. That is why 1Corinthian 8 was written. That is why the end of 1Corinthians 10 was written. That is why Paul says, "Give none offence, neither to the Jews (elect Israelites), nor to the Gentiles (proselytes of the Gate, subject of Acts 15), nor to the church of God: (the Body of Christ)." (1Co 10:32)

BChristianK writes:
Paul established the church in Corinth during his second missionary journey. During that time, Paul baptized Crispus, the synagogue official (Acts 18:8, 1 Cor 1:14). Gaius and Stephanus. But what is an important detail and one that is quite telling is that many of the Corinthians who heard Paul.

Acts 18:8 Crispus, the official of the synagogue, became a believer in the Lord, together with all his household; and many of the Corinthians who heard Paul became believers and were baptized.
Those who were baptized were either Jews who had not yet been baptized into Messiah (e.g. Acts 19:1-7), or Gentile proselytes of the Gate. They were not members of the Body of Christ.

BChristianK writes:
If we are to take Paul at his word that he did not baptize anyone other than Crispus, Gaius and the household of Stephanus (1 Cor 1:14) To the best of Paul’s recollection, then we must assume that the many who were baptized in Corinth were baptized by someone other than Paul. It would seam a bit strange to characterize Crispus, Gaius and Stephanus’ household as many. Especially for a commercial center of the Roman empire.
I agree.

BChristianK writes:
This historical contexualization tells us first, that Paul probably meant that he was not sent to personally baptize but to preach the gospel ( 1 Cor 1:17). In other words, Paul’s primary commission was not to get into the river and dunk ‘em personally, it was his commission to preach the gospel. This does not preclude the fact that many people were baptized under the ministry of Paul, but probably not dunked by Paul himself.
That would be the standard escape hatch for the homogenized gospel view. Here's the difference: The homogeneous gospel view must jump through these kinds of hoops to explain the verse in light of that theology. The mid-Acts view comes to this passage and sees that it makes perfect sense without hoop-jumping.

BChristianK writes:
Second, and more importantly, this brings up a huge historical problem for the mid-acts dispensationalist. As you have cited above, you argue that Galatians is one book from which we can gather the scriptural principle that baptism was made obsolete.

Remember this?

Hilston wrote:
The Body of Christ is instructed to shun religious ceremony and ritual (Gal 4:8-11 Col 2:8-23). How much more clear can one be?

Well if it cannot be any more clear then why is it that Paul, writing to Galatia circa 48 A.D., is certain that religious ceremony should be shunned (including and especially baptism according to you), but that Paul, during his second missionary journey (A.D. 52) personally baptized Crispus, Gaius and the household of Stephanus (1 Cor 1:14-16), and witnessed the many baptisms of Corinthians who heard his message (Acts 18:8), and didn’t say one single word to stop them???
Paul no doubt continued to baptize kingdom saints well after that, BCK. It is what I would expect in the settings Paul found himself. Galatians was written to the Body of Christ, about matters concerning Body law. Paul acknowledges the elect Jews among them in that epistle, even though he was not writing to the elect Jews among them.

Ga 6:16 And as many as walk according to this rule, peace be on them, and mercy, and upon the Israel of God.

BChristianK writes:
Did Paul just forget that 4 years earlier he had argued that baptism was put away as a result of all religious ceremonies being shunned?
It was put away for the Body of Christ, but not for Israel or the elect of the nations.

BChristianK writes:
And then, while in E[phesu]s when he penned 1 Corinthians (A.D. 55), why didn’t Paul straighten the whole mess out, and tell the Corinthians to stop doing all that crazy water baptizing?
For the same reason he didn't tell them to stop abstaining from meat sacrificed to idols in chapters 8 and 10. He urged them to respect the Jews and Gentiles among them.

BChristianK writes:
Are we to believe that 3 years after Paul flubs up and allows all those Corinthians to be baptized he wouldn’t clearly tell them to stop all that baptizing nonsense?
Paul never made an error in his public ministry and he was perfectly clear in his instruction. Paul baptized (and commanded baptism) of those of the kingdom gospels; Paul prohibited baptism for the Body of Christ.

BChristianK writes:
Mid-acts dispensationalism is riddled with historical problems, this is just one of many, but this one is far from insignificant.
It's not a problem in the least, BCK. It's a feature. And it makes perfect sense on the Mid-Acts view.

BChristianK writes:
Mid-acts dispensationalism is simply at a loss to explain why Paul would repudiate baptism in 48 A.D., turn around and personally baptize 2 folks and a household 4 years later in Corinth in 52 A.D. (and allow the baptisms of many other Corinthians during that same visit), and then turn around again in 55 A.D. and make a statement that you interpret as repudiation of water baptism in 55 A.D. Do you really think Paul was that schizophrenic?
See, this is what happens when you jump to conclusions before giving your opponent a chance to answer your charges. While kudos to you are in order for having done your homework, what you've presented does no damage to my view, but in fact buttresses it and the distinctions delineated between the various gospels we find in scripture.

BChristianK writes:
And I appreciate your irenic tone in your response. I hope that my directness has not deterred you from thinking that I intent our conversation to remain irenic. I would appreciate it if you would address the historical problem posed by your interpretation as I have outlined it above. I do that that warrants further elaboration
I took no offense. I hope my response is clear. I will be happy elaborate further if needed.

By the way, for the record, I reject the standard Open Theist tripe of God scrapping Plan A and trying Plan B and scrapping that for Plan C. The Body of Christ was chosen from before the foundation of the world. Israel was chosen from the foundation of the world. In logical order, God's decree to choose the Body of Christ preceded His decree to create, whereas His decree to choose Israel followed the decree to create.

Last edited:

BChristianK

It isn't a should or should not. It doesn't matter, if we are or we aren't.
According to whom? According to you maybe but isn't that really what we are discussing? Whether one should consider baptism as a "must" or whether, as you say, it just doesn't matter?

Did it matter to Jesus when He spoke to the disciples in Matthew 28:19- 20?

If so, when did it stop mattering?

Can you tell us precisely when?

If not, then how do you know that it stopped mattering?

These are questions that I personally think should be asked and satisfactorily answered before one changes a theology that embraces an abrogation of baptism, don't ya think?

But some of the verses seem to say that it did save. A lot of people take it to mean that, anyway.
A lot of people have taken a lot of the bible in a lot of different ways.
There are a few here. And those people believe that it is necessary for salvation. I wonder how they reconcile hydrophobic people being saved without it.:think:

Dunno, since I am not one of those people.
I think that depends on how you view it. I know at least one person who said it cleared up their confusion.
Well, now you know 2. I initially embraced a mid-acts dispensational position because I, like them, thought it cleared up some confusion. However, in the end, it generated more than it solved for me. Ergo, my departure from dispensationalism altogether.

Now I asked if everyone who was converted under Peter's ministry was bound by the terms of the gospel of the circumcision. To which you replied.

For the record, you included Cornelius (Acts 10) into that mix.

So lets review. I don't have a copy of The Plot in front of me but I am pretty sure that Bob Enyart (by virtue of Bob Hill's influence) sees baptism as a prerequisite necessity for salvation in the circumscision gospel.

Since Peter’s message was a Jewish gospel (Acts 2:,22,36) water baptism preceded Holy Spirit Baptism (Acts 2:38) {Bob Hill, The Big Difference, Page 54}
Unfortunately, your previous answer causes an inconsistency with these mid-acts dispensational teachings. It's clear that Cornelius was not water baptized until after he and his household had received the Holy Spirit.

You said:
Galatians was written to the Greeks, and the writings of Peter were written to the Jews in Galatia. That seems to be the stance of Acts 9.
That is the stance. That stance assumes that someone was preaching to the wrong crowd…

2 Peter 3:15-16 Bear in mind that our Lord's patience means salvation, just as our dear brother Paul also wrote you with the wisdom that God gave him. 16 He writes the same way in all his letters, speaking in them of these matters. His letters contain some things that are hard to understand, which ignorant and unstable people distort, as they do the other Scriptures, to their own destruction.
So either Peter was mistaken and Paul wasn’t really writing to them, or Paul was mistaken and started preaching the wrong gospel to Jews, or you are wrong and both Paul’s correspondence and Peter’s correspondence were addressed to the same audience.

I’ll let you decide which of these three conclusions forced by Mid-Acts dispensationalism you want to choose

:chuckle:

Now I said:

I am pretty sure that Bob Hill disagree’s with you on Cornelius’s household. Cornelius, though preached to by Peter, was saved under a different Gospel than the one given the 12 (according to Bob Hill).[/b]

You replied:

Here’s Bob Hill on the subject… Speaking about the conversion of Cornelius and his household, Bob says:
The most significant event happened when Peter went to the Gentiles (Cornelius in Acts 10). When they believed, the Holy Spirit interrupted Peter’s message before he could tell them to repent and be baptized for the remission of sins. In fact, the Holy Spirit fell on all the Gentiles while Peter was still preaching. The Jews who accompanied Peter were amazed. This, indeed, was a dispensational sign from God that something had changed.

What had changed? God had started a new program when He saved Paul.
(Bob Hill, The Big Difference, Page 50)

Since Cornelius and his house were saved after the conversion of Paul, Cornelius was saved in the dispensation of Grace even though Peter preached it.

Now how is it that a person is saved by a gospel that wasn’t preached?

Good question, and one that doesn’t have a good mid-acts dispensational answer in my opinion. But suffice it to say, your previous answer regarding the gospel Cornelius was under is inconsistent with Bob Hill’s, and probably Bob Enyart’s view.

Just an FYI…

You said:
Now, does Peter ever say that baptism saves?

Mark 16:16
1 Peter 3:21
Acts 2:38
1. Mark 16:16 was Jesus speaking, not Peter, and there are textual issues that question the reliability of the long ending of Mark.
2. 1 Peter 3:21 we have already discussed and Peter qualifies his remarks by saying that it is not the ritual of baptism that saves but the clear conscience toward God that it is associated with.
3. Acts 2:38 is an interesting passage to exegete to say the least. But if you are going to maintain that Cornelius was saved by the same message preached by Peter in Acts 2:38 then I’ll let you explain how it is that baptism saved in Acts 2:38 but didn’t in acts 10…

Quit arguing with me as if I believe that baptism should stop.
You don’t? Sounds like you don’t know what you believe about this at this point.
That’s ok, but it does make for a difficult conversation, especially considering you said you were acts 9.
What about the verse where Paul says there is one baptism? Which baptism is he speaking of?
I’ll answer Hilston’s press on this very point tomorrow probably. It’ll be a more in depth answer but will probably answer your question.

"The like figure whereunto even baptism doth also now save us..."

Finishing the verse helps a lot.

1 Peter 3:21 and this water symbolizes baptism that now saves you also—not the removal of dirt from the body but the pledge of a good conscience toward God.

I know what you're getting at, but it still seems that you are saying baptism is a must.
I think it is a must inasmuch as I think that it is an ordinance for today. I also think the Lord’s Supper is an ordinance for today. I don’t think it saves, but I think it is a “must” nonetheless. Furthermore, the act of getting wet doesn’t save us, it represents the pledge of a good conscience toward God. It is the method God has chosen for us to publicly proclaim our faith in Christ.
And many people argue that baptism does save us, i.e. baptismal regeneration, based on this verse.
Some do… But again, some claim all sorts of things based on all sorts of verses. I’m not interested in what some people think, I’m in a conversation with you to compare what you and I think and dialog about the differences and similarities.

Now you said:

Paul preached that we have a clear conscience, because of Christ. Does that mean that everyone will be baptized?
The question isn’t will everyone, the question is should everyone.
Is anyone saved apart from baptism?
Yes, clearly the thief on the cross was saved apart from baptism. And that was in a dispensation (according to Enyart and Hill mind you) that required it for salvation!
[quote
I chose Christ when I was 3. I was baptized three years later. When was I saved?
[/quote]
Why does everyone want to play pin the exact moment of salvation?

What did you do to choose Christ at 3? Did you pray a prayer? Were you saved when you decided to pray that prayer? Sometime in the middle when you said the magic words? Were you only saved when you were finished saying the prayer?

If, for some reason, you were killed in a freak accident where a meteorite crashed through the window and killed you on impact while you just kneeling down to pray would you go straight to hell?

You were saved when you believed. Baptism was a proclamation of that belief. You are being saved and you will be saved. There are past, present and future dimensions of salvation.

Now, just a few miscellaneous details. I said:

Paul also said that we should "Work out our salvation with fear and trembling..."

You replied:
Paul didn't mean works.
Well he used the Greek word kataergazomai which means to “work out.” It incorporates a derivative of the root ergon which means “works.” Perhaps you can tell me what results from the outworking of salvation if not good works?
Where does James say that we are shown to be justified by works? Or does he just say that we are justified by works?
Read the passage contextually. James is talking about showing his faith by what he does.

James 2:18 But someone will say, "You have faith; I have deeds." Show me your faith without deeds, and I will show you my faith by what I do.

I suppose all sorts of contradictions can be assumed if one refuses to read contextually.

So, you don't believe in pre-trib? What do you believe in?

No, I am an amillenialist.

So, you're a closed theist?
No.

CariV kai Eirhnh

Last edited:

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame

According to whom? According to you maybe but isn't that really what we are discussing? Whether one should consider baptism as a "must" or whether, as you say, it just doesn't matter?

Did it matter to Jesus when He spoke to the disciples in Matthew 28:19- 20?

If so, when did it stop mattering?

Can you tell us precisely when?

If not, then how do you know that it stopped mattering?
Did it matter for the thief on the cross? Was it a must for him?

These are questions that I personally think should be asked and satisfactorily answered before one changes a theology that embraces an abrogation of baptism, don't ya think?
I already know what I believe. I have never believed baptism was a must, or necessary. But I have never thought it was wrong. And the reason is above.

A lot of people have taken a lot of the bible in a lot of different ways.
This doesn't seem to be a disagreement between us, so it's moot.

Dunno, since I am not one of those people.
It was a rhetorical question.

Well, now you know 2. I initially embraced a mid-acts dispensational position because I, like them, thought it cleared up some confusion. However, in the end, it generated more than it solved for me. Ergo, my departure from dispensationalism altogether.
Do you believe the law has anything to do with salvation? Or do you believe the cross changed everything?

Now I asked if everyone who was converted under Peter's ministry was bound by the terms of the gospel of the circumcision. To which you replied.

For the record, you included Cornelius (Acts 10) into that mix.

So lets review. I don't have a copy of The Plot in front of me but I am pretty sure that Bob Enyart (by virtue of Bob Hill's influence) sees baptism as a prerequisite necessity for salvation in the circumscision gospel.

Unfortunately, your previous answer causes an inconsistency with these mid-acts dispensational teachings. It's clear that Cornelius was not water baptized until after he and his household had received the Holy Spirit.
Okay. I looked it over. Jews who were converted under Peter were under the gospel of circumcision. But Gentiles were not, because they were Gentiles. And the conflict between Peter and Paul, in Gal. 2 was over Peter preaching the gospel of circumcision to those it did not apply to. Cornelius was a Gentile.

You said:

That is the stance. That stance assumes that someone was preaching to the wrong crowd…
No, it doesn't.

So either Peter was mistaken and Paul wasn’t really writing to them, or Paul was mistaken and started preaching the wrong gospel to Jews, or you are wrong and both Paul’s correspondence and Peter’s correspondence were addressed to the same audience.
If they were writing to two different audiences, then neither of them were preaching to the wrong crowd. Peter to the Jews, Paul to the Gentiles. The right audience for each.

I’ll let you decide which of these three conclusions forced by Mid-Acts dispensationalism you want to choose
None. See above.

Apparently you didn't think that one through.

Now I said:

You replied:

Here’s Bob Hill on the subject… Speaking about the conversion of Cornelius and his household, Bob says:

Since Cornelius and his house were saved after the conversion of Paul, Cornelius was saved in the dispensation of Grace even though Peter preached it.
As you can see, I came to that conclusion before I even got to this point in your post.

Now how is it that a person is saved by a gospel that wasn’t preached?
The gospel of Jesus Christ is the gospel of Jesus Christ. And Peter had only preached the basis of the gospel. He hadn't gotten to the stipulations of the circumcision. And, it seems I disagree with Bob here, I don't believe Peter was ever going to preach the gospel of circumcision to Cornelius, because Cornelius wasn't a Jew. He was a Gentile. Peter knew that.

Good question, and one that doesn’t have a good mid-acts dispensational answer in my opinion. But suffice it to say, your previous answer regarding the gospel Cornelius was under is inconsistent with Bob Hill’s, and probably Bob Enyart’s view.
Well, I've figured it out in this discourse. I was wrong. Thanks for the help.

You said:

1. Mark 16:16 was Jesus speaking, not Peter, and there are textual issues that question the reliability of the long ending of Mark.
I know. I meant to mention Jesus. I was rushing.

2. 1 Peter 3:21 we have already discussed and Peter qualifies his remarks by saying that it is not the ritual of baptism that saves but the clear conscience toward God that it is associated with.
So you're saying that Peter doesn't say that baptism saves, and therefore you don't believe it saves, so why do you believe it's necessary?

3. Acts 2:38 is an interesting passage to exegete to say the least. But if you are going to maintain that Cornelius was saved by the same message preached by Peter in Acts 2:38 then I’ll let you explain how it is that baptism saved in Acts 2:38 but didn’t in acts 10…
Well, as you see above, I've been over what happened in Acts 10.

You don’t? Sounds like you don’t know what you believe about this at this point.
That’s ok, but it does make for a difficult conversation, especially considering you said you were acts 9.
I told you I didn't. I told you that I believe that it isn't necessary, but I don't believe it was stopped, or that it is a sin [as Hilston believes].

I’ll answer Hilston’s press on this very point tomorrow probably. It’ll be a more in depth answer but will probably answer your question.
I hope so. What about where John the Baptist says, "I baptize with water, but He [Jesus] will baptize with the Spirit, and with fire."?

Finishing the verse helps a lot.
I know what the rest of the verse says. But it still seems that either way Peter is saying that baptism is necessary. And there are many people who perceive this verse as such. How do you show them they are wrong?

I think it is a must inasmuch as I think that it is an ordinance for today. I also think the Lord’s Supper is an ordinance for today. I don’t think it saves, but I think it is a “must” nonetheless. Furthermore, the act of getting wet doesn’t save us, it represents the pledge of a good conscience toward God. It is the method God has chosen for us to publicly proclaim our faith in Christ.
What if we confess with our mouth, without water baptism? And do you think what passes for communion [the Lord's supper] in most churches is what communion [the Lord's supper] should be?

[qutoe]Some do… But again, some claim all sorts of things based on all sorts of verses. I’m not interested in what some people think, I’m in a conversation with you to compare what you and I think and dialog about the differences and similarities.[/quote]
Okay. But I would like to know your argument against those who believe baptism saves. Not what you believe, you've already been over that, but how you convince someone who believes it saves that you are right...

Now you said:

The question isn’t will everyone, the question is should everyone.
Okay. Answer that question then.

[qutoe]Yes, clearly the thief on the cross was saved apart from baptism. And that was in a dispensation (according to Enyart and Hill mind you) that required it for salvation![/quote]
Nope. It was never said that baptism saves until after Christ's resurrection.

Why does everyone want to play pin the exact moment of salvation?
Because it is vital to this discussion. If I had died between my confession of faith, and my baptism, where would I have gone?

What did you do to choose Christ at 3? Did you pray a prayer? Were you saved when you decided to pray that prayer? Sometime in the middle when you said the magic words? Were you only saved when you were finished saying the prayer?
When I decided that I wanted Christ. Before I prayed the actual prayer. Yes, I prayed a prayer, but the prayer was not necessary. I placed my faith in Christ. That's when I was saved.

If, for some reason, you were killed in a freak accident where a meteorite crashed through the window and killed you on impact while you just kneeling down to pray would you go straight to hell?
Nope.

You were saved when you believed. Baptism was a proclamation of that belief. You are being saved and you will be saved. There are past, present and future dimensions of salvation.
Okay, ignore my question from earlier. You seem to beleive that I was saved when I first beleived, and that I would have gone to heaven if I had died beofer my baptism. If I am wrong, let me know.

Now, just a few miscellaneous details. I said:

You replied:

Well he used the Greek word kataergazomai which means to “work out.” It incorporates a derivative of the root ergon which means “works.” Perhaps you can tell me what results from the outworking of salvation if not good works?
Are we saved by works, or by grace?

Read the passage contextually. James is talking about showing his faith by what he does.
[/i]
That's how I've always taken it. But some people are confused by the wording. And it also seems that James might have meant exactly what he said. But, since you know the Greek, what did he say?

I suppose all sorts of contradictions can be assumed if one refuses to read contextually.
Definitely. Where do you think Atheists come from?:chuckle:

No, I am an amillenialist.
Okay, I haven't really kept track of all the terms, and what they mean. So, what exactly do you believe about the rapture?

Do you think God ever has a Plan B? Do you think God knows the future, exhaustively?

BChristianK

Did it matter for the thief on the cross? Was it a must for him?
Yes. Were the thief on the cross able to be baptized, he would have been expected to have been.

God doesn’t need baptism to save us, but He has set that aside as an ordinance to be practiced.

The thief on the cross didn’t have time to partake of the Lord’s Supper either. He wasn’t doomed to hell because of it. God didn’t say, “Gosh, I’d really like to have you with me today in paradise, but you didn’t take the Lord’s Supper, that’s the breaks kid.”

God saved the thief on the cross by grace through faith (just like the rest of us) which does not negate the fact that we are still asked to engage in ordinances. BTW, the thief on the cross is a HUGE exception to the faith plus works paradigm presented by mid-acts dispensationalists like Enyart. Enyart argues that baptism was absolutely essential and a prerequisite for salvation in the gospel to the circumcision.

So you may be inclined to ask the same question of acts 9 theology, “was baptism a must for the thief on the cross?

Acts 9’rs claim that the dispensation he was saved under required water baptism for salvation.

I already know what I believe.
That’s great. Do you then believe the mid acts dispensational theology as described in The Plot?
I have never believed baptism was a must, or necessary.
One of the fundamentals of the theology of The Plot is that baptism was more than a must in the dispensation preceding this one, one could not be saved without it! So was it a must during the circumcision gospel in your opinion?

Do you believe the law has anything to do with salvation? Or do you believe the cross changed everything?
I believe the Mosaic Covenant played a historical role in redemption, being a tutor that pointed toward Christ. Currently, I believe that it has been replaced by a New Covenant. Some parts of the Old Covenant have been completely fulfilled and set aside, some have been reinstated in the New Covenant.

So the short answer is, the cross changed everything.
Okay. I looked it over. Jews who were converted under Peter were under the gospel of circumcision.
Okay.
But Gentiles were not, because they were Gentiles.
OK
And the conflict between Peter and Paul, in Gal. 2 was over Peter preaching the gospel of circumcision to those it did not apply to. Cornelius was a Gentile.
Alright, so if Peter had overstepped his authority by preaching to the gentiles (which you assume is the reason Paul confronted Peter in Gal 2). Why did GOD send an angel to Cornelius to expect a visit from Peter? Furthermore, why did the Holy Spirit send the wrong person (Peter) to preach the wrong gospel to Cornelius who was a gentile?

Perhaps you can solve some of my confusion over this…

Now I had said that either Peter or Paul was preaching to the wrong crowd in Galatia. I claimed that Acts 9 theology must conclude as much to which you replied.
No, it doesn't.
Ok, lets take a look at the situation to test and see if your unexplained rejection of my claim is warranted.

Here are the facts:
1. Paul and Peter both preached in the region of Galatia.
2. Peter wrote to a group in Galatia.
3. In that letter, Peter said that Paul had written to them. So whatever group Peter had written to, Paul had written to the same group
2 Peter 3:15-16 Bear in mind that our Lord's patience means salvation, just as our dear brother Paul also wrote you with the wisdom that God gave him. 16 He writes the same way in all his letters, speaking in them of these matters. His letters contain some things that are hard to understand, which ignorant and unstable people distort, as they do the other Scriptures, to their own destruction.
4. If the “you” in 2 Peter 3:15 are gentiles converted under the Paul’s gospel why did the Holy Spirit inspire Peter to continue to preach the wrong gospel to the wrong people group? If the “you” in 2 Peter 3:15 are gentile converts of Paul, then why is Peter writing to them and instructing them according to the gospel of the circumcision?
5. If the “you” in 2 Peter 3:15 are Jewish coverts of Peter who are bound to the gospel of the circumcision, then where does Paul get off writing Galatians to them and instructing them contrary to Peter’s gospel? And why in the world would Peter affirm Paul’s message when it is a totally foreign gospel to the audience that Peter is writing to?

Perhaps you can clear this up for me…
If they were writing to two different audiences, then neither of them were preaching to the wrong crowd.

If they were writing to two different audiences why does Peter say that Paul wrote to the same audience that Peter is writing to in 2 Peter?

, just as our dear brother Paul also wrote you with the wisdom that God gave him. (2 Peter 3:15)

Peter to the Jews, Paul to the Gentiles. The right audience for each.

Ah so Peter was totally mistaken in 2 Peter in telling his audience that that “Paul wrote you with the wisdom God gave him.” Apparently, Paul didn’t write them at all, he wrote some other group in Galatia.

The gospel of Jesus Christ is the gospel of Jesus Christ.
So there was only one gospel from the time of Christ until now?

Not very acts 9 of you…

And Peter had only preached the basis of the gospel. He hadn't gotten to the stipulations of the circumcision.
Huh?
So Peter wasn’t preaching the gospel of the circumcision in Acts 2? Acts 2 is before Acts 10 Lighthouse. Did Peter forget?

And, it seems I disagree with Bob here, I don't believe Peter was ever going to preach the gospel of circumcision to Cornelius, because Cornelius wasn't a Jew.
So why did Peter have him baptized?
He was a Gentile. Peter knew that.
And according to acts 9 theology, baptism wasn’t for him, why didn’t Peter know that?
So you're saying that Peter doesn't say that baptism saves, and therefore you don't believe it saves, so why do you believe it's necessary?
Yes, that is what I am saying. I am saying that Peter preached that faith in Christ saved, an that baptism was the ritual that was prescribed in which one proclaims publicly their allegiance to Christ. I also don’t think that the Lord’s Supper saves, yet Christ requested that it be done as well.
“do this in remembrance of me” (1 CO 11:24)
I told you I didn't. I told you that I believe that it isn't necessary, but I don't believe it was stopped, or that it is a sin [as Hilston believes].
I understand, now let me ask you, do you think that the Lord’s Supper is “necessary?”

Regarding 1 Peter 3:21 you said:
I know what the rest of the verse says. But it still seems that either way Peter is saying that baptism is necessary.
It is necessary. It’s not necessary in the sense that one cannot be saved without it, but it is necessary in the sense that it is closely tied to the pledge of a clear conscience toward God. It is necessary in that it is the biblically prescribed way of demonstrating one’s allegiance to Christ.

Now you said that there are many who perceive this verse as teaching baptismal regeneration. My response is, “so?”
There are many people who misinterpret many different verses. I would not give any more credence to this misinterpretation than I would any other misinterpretation.

Now you asked:
How do you show them they are wrong?
By allowing scripture to interpret scripture. The thief on the cross was saved (without being baptized). The gospel of John advocates the sufficiency of belief for salvation (Jn 3:18 and 21:31 for example). Incidentally the gospel of John is one the acts 9’rs assign to the gospel of the circumcision, a gospel they claim requires baptism for salvation.
What if we confess with our mouth, without water baptism?
What if we continue to confess with our mouths and continue to believe in our hearts? Then as Paul suggests, we will be saved. Incidentally, Paul wrote Romans 10 to a group of believers that every historical evidence suggests had been baptized. Their confessing with their mouth was not in lieu of their baptism.

Now you said:
But I would like to know your argument against those who believe baptism saves. Not what you believe, you've already been over that, but how you convince someone who believes it saves that you are right...
For starters, the thief on the cross.
The sufficiency of belief in John helps (references above).

Regarding Baptism, I said:

The question isn’t will everyone but should everyone
You said:
Okay. Answer that question then.
They answer is yes, everyone should.
Now you said:
Nope. It was never said that baptism saves until after Christ's resurrection.
OK, so John’s baptism wasn’t for salvation and neither was Jesus’ baptism or the baptisms associated with the ministry of the 12. Jn 3:26, John 4:1 (incidentally this verse tells us that the ministry of Jesus and the twelve saw more water baptisms than the ministry of John).

So it was just unnecessary before the resurrection, it became mandatory afterward and was mandatory for about 9 years until the conversion of Paul. So what dispensation was that 9 year period a part of?

Incidentally, you diverge from Enyart and Hill here since they claim that the gospel Peter preached in acts 2 was the same gospel Jesus proclaimed during His ministry. In fact, you may be the only acts 9’r that believes what you have just explained to me.
If I had died between my confession of faith, and my baptism, where would I have gone?
To heaven, just like the thief on the cross.
When I decided that I wanted Christ. Before I prayed the actual prayer. Yes, I prayed a prayer, but the prayer was not necessary. I placed my faith in Christ. That's when I was saved.
Glad we are on the same page. But you probably prayed the prayer anyway right? So was proclaiming with your mouth unnecessary? What if a person made the decision to place his faith in Christ right after they were involved in a horrific car accident. His jaw was wired shut and he were unable to write due to this hands being severely fractured. After hours of being on the operating table, that person died.

He had internally believed in your heart that Jesus raised from the dead, but he wasn’t able to confess with his mouth that Jesus is Lord, is he out of luck? Does he get a one way ticket to hell?

BTW, Please answer this if you please, I’m interested to hear your answer.

Does a person go to hell because they were unfortunate enough not to be able to “proclaim with their mouth?”

Are we saved by works, or by grace?
We are saved by grace through faith unto good works. (See Ephesians 2:10)

That's how I've always taken it. But some people are confused by the wording. And it also seems that James might have meant exactly what he said. But, since you know the Greek, what did he say?
I don’t have my Greek NT in front of me, I’ll look it up when I get home, but I doubt that there is any secret that is cleared up by the Greek. The NIV says, “You see that people are justified by what they do and not by faith alone.”

I doubt that the Greek invalidates this rendering. The nuance in interpretation comes into play when one reads the passage contextually. James is writing to a group of Jewish believers who were treating poor people unfavorably and treating wealthy people preferably.

The “works” that James is speaking of is therefore, most likely, works of generosity. Furthermore, James is not proclaiming a gospel of faith+works, he is advocating that works justified faith.
“I will show you my faith by what I do” (James 2:19).

Paul, in Ephesians, does not claim that works are irrelevant or unnecessary he claims that works come out of our faith. So however we interpret Romans 4:6 we cannot do it in a way that puts Paul in conflict with Paul.

My final comment about the acts 9 interpretation of James 2:20ff, is that it creates irreconcilable histories of Abraham’s justification with that of Paul.

James says:

21Was not our ancestor Abraham considered righteous for what he did when he offered his son Isaac on the altar? 22You see that his faith and his actions were working together, and his faith was made complete by what he did. 23And the scripture was fulfilled that says, “Abraham believed God, and it was credited to him as righteousness,”[e] and he was called God's friend. 24You see that a person is justified by what he does and not by faith alone. (James 2:21-24)

Now, if we assume that a person is not justified until they have works then we must claim that Paul’s statement is wrong.

Paul said, about Abraham:

1What then shall we say that Abraham, our forefather, discovered in this matter? 2If, in fact, Abraham was justified by works, he had something to boast about–but not before God. 3What does the Scripture say? “Abraham believed God, and it was credited to him as righteousness.” (Romans 4:1-3)

So was Abraham not justified the moment he believed God (Genesis 15:6 is the first time you see “Abraham believed God and it credited to him as rightousness)?

Do you think that James is saying that Abraham was not justified until he does the “works” that James describes and places Isaac on the Alter (Genesis 22)? Or is James showing us by this example that Abraham was justified when he believed (Gen 15:6) and showed this justification through his offer of Isaac in Genesis 22?

Regarding Amillenialism you asked:
Okay, I haven't really kept track of all the terms, and what they mean. So, what exactly do you believe about the rapture?
I think the rapture happens right before the second coming. We are caught up with Him in the air while He is returning. There is no 7 year intermediary period between the rapture and the second coming.

You asked:
Do you think God ever has a Plan B?
I think that we have genuine free will. I believe that God knows every possible choice that I could, of my own free will, make, in every situation that I could ever be in.

I believe that God, by virtue of his omnipotence, is able to make all things work toward His ultimate purposes regardless free will.
Do you think God knows the future, exhaustively?
Yes.

God knows every possible future that could arise out of the free will choices of free will agents. God is never surprised.
I also believe that God had determined some things to be true regardless of our free will. As such, I believe that God’s purpose has always been to institute the Law for the purpose of pointing to Christ, and that God’s purpose has always been to institute a New Covenant that He extended beyond the bounds of Israel to include the whole world.

Now, do I think that God knows the entire future pre-determinately?
No.

Grace and Peace

Last edited:

BChristianK

Hilston Wrote:
I have to reconsider whether or not I want to continue this discussion because of time constraints. You're welcome to visit my church's website where there are scads of detailed papers concerning biblical dispensationalism, and not the man-made Open-Theist-hyper-Arminian mumbo jumbo that gets half-heartedly lobbed around these fora.
I do admit that my exposure to mid-acts dispensationalism has been almost exclusively colored by Bob Hill and Bob Enyart. So as not to misrepresent your particular theological stance, I will spend some time on your website to get an idea as to where you are coming from that is destinct from the Enyart and Hill perspective.

I will endeavor to respond to your last two posts, but won't until I have a better understanding of the theological framework that contextualize your responses.

Grace and Peace

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame

Yes. Were the thief on the cross able to be baptized, he would have been expected to have been.

God doesn’t need baptism to save us, but He has set that aside as an ordinance to be practiced.

The thief on the cross didn’t have time to partake of the Lord’s Supper either. He wasn’t doomed to hell because of it. God didn’t say, “Gosh, I’d really like to have you with me today in paradise, but you didn’t take the Lord’s Supper, that’s the breaks kid.”

God saved the thief on the cross by grace through faith (just like the rest of us) which does not negate the fact that we are still asked to engage in ordinances. BTW, the thief on the cross is a HUGE exception to the faith plus works paradigm presented by mid-acts dispensationalists like Enyart. Enyart argues that baptism was absolutely essential and a prerequisite for salvation in the gospel to the circumcision.
If anyone can be saved apart from baptism it isn't a must.

The gospel to the circumcision began after Christ's ascension. So the thief doesn't actually negate anything in a dispensational system.

So you may be inclined to ask the same question of acts 9 theology, “was baptism a must for the thief on the cross?
See above.

Acts 9’rs claim that the dispensation he was saved under required water baptism for salvation.
Do they?

[/quote]That’s great. Do you then believe the mid acts dispensational theology as described in The Plot?[/quote]
For the most part. I do disagree with some of the terminology.

One of the fundamentals of the theology of The Plot is that baptism was more than a must in the dispensation preceding this one, one could not be saved without it! So was it a must during the circumcision gospel in your opinion?
It seems so. But it wasn't a must before Christ's ascension.

I believe the Mosaic Covenant played a historical role in redemption, being a tutor that pointed toward Christ. Currently, I believe that it has been replaced by a New Covenant. Some parts of the Old Covenant have been completely fulfilled and set aside, some have been reinstated in the New Covenant.
I wouldn't use the term "reinstated." They would have had to have been removed to be reinstated.

So the short answer is, the cross changed everything.
Agreed.

:thumb:

Alright, so if Peter had overstepped his authority by preaching to the gentiles (which you assume is the reason Paul confronted Peter in Gal 2). Why did GOD send an angel to Cornelius to expect a visit from Peter? Furthermore, why did the Holy Spirit send the wrong person (Peter) to preach the wrong gospel to Cornelius who was a gentile?
Dude, please pay attention.

1] Paul did not confront Peter for preaching to Gentiles. He confronted him for preaching the circumcision gospel to those it did not apply.
2] Peter did not preach the gospel of circumcision to Cornelius.
3] The interaction between Peter and Cornelius took place right after Paul's conversion, so Paul was very new on the scene.

Perhaps you can solve some of my confusion over this…

Now I had said that either Peter or Paul was preaching to the wrong crowd in Galatia. I claimed that Acts 9 theology must conclude as much to which you replied.

Ok, lets take a look at the situation to test and see if your unexplained rejection of my claim is warranted.

Here are the facts:
1. Paul and Peter both preached in the region of Galatia.
2. Peter wrote to a group in Galatia.
3. In that letter, Peter said that Paul had written to them. So whatever group Peter had written to, Paul had written to the same group

4. If the “you” in 2 Peter 3:15 are gentiles converted under the Paul’s gospel why did the Holy Spirit inspire Peter to continue to preach the wrong gospel to the wrong people group? If the “you” in 2 Peter 3:15 are gentile converts of Paul, then why is Peter writing to them and instructing them according to the gospel of the circumcision?
5. If the “you” in 2 Peter 3:15 are Jewish coverts of Peter who are bound to the gospel of the circumcision, then where does Paul get off writing Galatians to them and instructing them contrary to Peter’s gospel? And why in the world would Peter affirm Paul’s message when it is a totally foreign gospel to the audience that Peter is writing to?
I don't see any evidence that Peter was preaching the gospel of circumcision in 2 Peter. Do you?

Perhaps you can clear this up for me…

If they were writing to two different audiences why does Peter say that Paul wrote to the same audience that Peter is writing to in 2 Peter?
See above.

Ah so Peter was totally mistaken in 2 Peter in telling his audience that that “Paul wrote you with the wisdom God gave him.” Apparently, Paul didn’t write them at all, he wrote some other group in Galatia.
See above.

See above.

So there was only one gospel from the time of Christ until now?

Not very acts 9 of you…
Not what I said.

Huh?
So Peter wasn’t preaching the gospel of the circumcision in Acts 2? Acts 2 is before Acts 10 Lighthouse. Did Peter forget?
You already said that Peter hadn't gotten to the baptism and circumcision points befoer the Spirit fell on Cornelius' family. So, obviously, Peter didn't preach the gospel of circumcision to Cornelius. But Cornelius being a Gentile may have something to do with that, don't you think?

So why did Peter have him baptized?
Same reason Paul baptized.:doh:

And according to acts 9 theology, baptism wasn’t for him, why didn’t Peter know that?
:sozo:Quit areguing with me like I believe baptism shouldn't happen!

Yes, that is what I am saying. I am saying that Peter preached that faith in Christ saved, an that baptism was the ritual that was prescribed in which one proclaims publicly their allegiance to Christ. I also don’t think that the Lord’s Supper saves, yet Christ requested that it be done as well.
“do this in remembrance of me” (1 CO 11:24)
:sozo2:

Can someone publicly proclaim their allegiance to Christ without baptism?!

I understand, now let me ask you, do you think that the Lord’s Supper is “necessary?”
No. If it was, then we'd all be going to hell for doing it wrong.

Regarding 1 Peter 3:21 you said:

It is necessary. It’s not necessary in the sense that one cannot be saved without it, but it is necessary in the sense that it is closely tied to the pledge of a clear conscience toward God. It is necessary in that it is the biblically prescribed way of demonstrating one’s allegiance to Christ.

Now you said that there are many who perceive this verse as teaching baptismal regeneration. My response is, “so?”
There are many people who misinterpret many different verses. I would not give any more credence to this misinterpretation than I would any other misinterpretation.
It's either necessary or it isn't. If we can agree that it is not a must for salvation, then why are we debating? Aren't we to avoid foolish controversies?

Now you asked:

By allowing scripture to interpret scripture. The thief on the cross was saved (without being baptized). The gospel of John advocates the sufficiency of belief for salvation (Jn 3:18 and 21:31 for example). Incidentally the gospel of John is one the acts 9’rs assign to the gospel of the circumcision, a gospel they claim requires baptism for salvation.
Well, the thief on the cross may have been a Jew. And if he was, then he was already circumcised. And if he was a Gentile, then circumcision wouldn't have applied to him, anyway.

What if we continue to confess with our mouths and continue to believe in our hearts? Then as Paul suggests, we will be saved. Incidentally, Paul wrote Romans 10 to a group of believers that every historical evidence suggests had been baptized. Their confessing with their mouth was not in lieu of their baptism.
I never said it was. That's not what this is about. This is about whether baptism is or isn't necessary to be saved.

Now you said:

For starters, the thief on the cross.
The sufficiency of belief in John helps (references above).
Okay.:thumb:

[qutoe]Regarding Baptism, I said:

You said:

They answer is yes, everyone should.[/quote]
Why? For what reason?

Now you said:

OK, so John’s baptism wasn’t for salvation and neither was Jesus’ baptism or the baptisms associated with the ministry of the 12. Jn 3:26, John 4:1 (incidentally this verse tells us that the ministry of Jesus and the twelve saw more water baptisms than the ministry of John).
Jesus was baptized by John. Did Jesus need to be "saved?" Of course not. So..?

So it was just unnecessary before the resurrection, it became mandatory afterward and was mandatory for about 9 years until the conversion of Paul. So what dispensation was that 9 year period a part of?
The gospel of circumcision. The law was preached, but Christ is the one who made people righteous.

Incidentally, you diverge from Enyart and Hill here since they claim that the gospel Peter preached in acts 2 was the same gospel Jesus proclaimed during His ministry. In fact, you may be the only acts 9’r that believes what you have just explained to me.
I might very well be.

To heaven, just like the thief on the cross.
So, it isn't necessary for salvation. We agree. What is it necessary for?

Glad we are on the same page. But you probably prayed the prayer anyway right?
Yeah. But I thought I had to, at the time.

[qutoe]So was proclaiming with your mouth unnecessary?[/quote]
In essence, yes.

What if a person made the decision to place his faith in Christ right after they were involved in a horrific car accident. His jaw was wired shut and he were unable to write due to this hands being severely fractured. After hours of being on the operating table, that person died.

He had internally believed in *his* heart that Jesus raised from the dead, but he wasn’t able to confess with his mouth that Jesus is Lord, is he out of luck? Does he get a one way ticket to hell?
No. He would go to heaven.

BTW, Please answer this if you please, I’m interested to hear your answer.

Does a person go to hell because they were unfortunate enough not to be able to “proclaim with their mouth?”
No.

We are saved by grace through faith unto good works. (See Ephesians 2:10)
Right. Works are produced, but they don't save, or make anyone righteous, right?

I don’t have my Greek NT in front of me, I’ll look it up when I get home, but I doubt that there is any secret that is cleared up by the Greek. The NIV says, “You see that people are justified by what they do and not by faith alone.”
I had someone tell me that the Greek actually said that people are showed to be justified by works, not that they are justified by the works themsleves. But Paul wrote that people are justified by faith, apart from works. So, which is it?

I doubt that the Greek invalidates this rendering. The nuance in interpretation comes into play when one reads the passage contextually. James is writing to a group of Jewish believers who were treating poor people unfavorably and treating wealthy people preferably.
James was preaching to Jewish believers. You said it.

The “works” that James is speaking of is therefore, most likely, works of generosity. Furthermore, James is not proclaiming a gospel of faith+works, he is advocating that works justified faith.
“I will show you my faith by what I do” (James 2:19).
So James wan't saying that we are justified by works? He was saying our faith is justified by works?:liberals:

Paul, in Ephesians, does not claim that works are irrelevant or unnecessary he claims that works come out of our faith. So however we interpret Romans 4:6 we cannot do it in a way that puts Paul in conflict with Paul.
Agreed. I never said that Paul said works were irrelevant. Just that works do not save us, or justify us or make us righteous.

[qutoe]My final comment about the acts 9 interpretation of James 2:20ff, is that it creates irreconcilable histories of Abraham’s justification with that of Paul.

James says:
[/i]
Now, if we assume that a person is not justified until they have works then we must claim that Paul’s statement is wrong.

Paul said, about Abraham:
[/i]

So was Abraham not justified the moment he believed God (Genesis 15:6 is the first time you see “Abraham believed God and it credited to him as rightousness)?

Do you think that James is saying that Abraham was not justified until he does the “works” that James describes and places Isaac on the Alter (Genesis 22)? Or is James showing us by this example that Abraham was justified when he believed (Gen 15:6) and showed this justification through his offer of Isaac in Genesis 22?[/quote]
I know what James was saying. And I know that he and Paul were in agreement on Abraham. Abraham was before the law.

Regarding Amillenialism you asked:

I think the rapture happens right before the second coming. We are caught up with Him in the air while He is returning. There is no 7 year intermediary period between the rapture and the second coming.
And why do you believe this?

You asked:

I think that we have genuine free will. I believe that God knows every possible choice that I could, of my own free will, make, in every situation that I could ever be in.

I believe that God, by virtue of his omnipotence, is able to make all things work toward His ultimate purposes regardless free will.

Yes.
So, you believe we have genuine free will, and you beleive God knows all the possibilities, but you also believe that God knows exactly what's going to happen, and therefore we can not do anything outside of what God knows is goiong to happen. This means that you beleive that the future is closed. You are a closed theist.

Can you explain to me how God knows something that hasn't happened?

God knows every possible future that could arise out of the free will choices of free will agents. God is never surprised.
:shocked:

I also believe that God had determined some things to be true regardless of our free will. As such, I believe that God’s purpose has always been to institute the Law for the purpose of pointing to Christ, and that God’s purpose has always been to institute a New Covenant that He extended beyond the bounds of Israel to include the whole world.
So, you believe God knew Adam and Eve were going to eat of the tree?

Now, do I think that God knows the entire future pre-determinately?
No.
Then you don't believe God knows the future exhaustively.