What is Acts 9 Dispensationalism?

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Nimrod

Obviously Phil ran from answering that question. It was too comdemning for his theology.

But thank you Lighthouse for answering. You gave the reason why Dispensationalism is wrong. Works were never part of salvation!

Since you like Romans, you need to deal with Romans 4
4:3 for what doth the writing say? `And Abraham did believe God, and it was reckoned to him -- to righteousness;'

How do you deal with Abraham being declared "righteous" apart from the law?

When anyone says "works" were required, they are really saying that one can lose their salvation. Dispensationalism teachs that the OT saints could lose their salvation, as if God's grace was not sufficient. They are really saying "God did 99%, now they have to do the other 1%".
Abraham was before Moses. And I never said that the chosen of Christ could lose their salvation. But if they failed in a work of the law, they had to make a sacrafice, for restitution. And they had to be circumcised to be counted among God's chosen people, as well.

Nimrod

Originally posted by lighthouse

Abraham was before Moses. And I never said that the chosen of Christ could lose their salvation. But if they failed in a work of the law, they had to make a sacrafice, for restitution. And they had to be circumcised to be counted among God's chosen people, as well.

So what happened to the people during the 70 year exile who had no temple for sacrificing? Did they die and went to hell because there was no way for them to do a biblical sacrafice?

What about the Northen Kingdom? They had no temple. Are you saying they all went to hell?

philosophizer

So what happened to the people during the 70 year exile who had no temple for sacrificing? Did they die and went to hell because there was no way for them to do a biblical sacrafice?

Um... Tent of Meeting...

1PeaceMaker

Originally posted by Sozo

Perhaps... what did you have in mind?
For starters, the slicing apart of "Paul's Gospel" vs. "Peter's Gospel".

There is only ONE Gospel. The Gospel of Jesus Christ. That is the only Gospel that has EVER been. Even Abraham accepted it, via the seed in him, Christ. He was saved on an unsealed promise, yet to be secured by our Lord. Remember, God told Abraham to be perfect, and He really meant it.

1Co 1:12,13 "Now this I say, that every one of you saith, I am of Paul; and I of Apollos; and I of Cephas; and I of Christ. 13 Is Christ divided?"

1Co 1:23 But we preach Christ crucified, unto the Jews a stumblingblock, and unto the Greeks foolishness;

1PeaceMaker

Originally posted by philosophizer

Um... Tent of Meeting...
The yearly blood of Atonement had to be sprinkled on the mercy seat, requiring the ark of the covenant. Nimrod's point is still valid.

Hilston

Hall of Fame
Originally posted by 1PeaceMaker

For starters, the slicing apart of "Paul's Gospel" vs. "Peter's Gospel".

There is only ONE Gospel. The Gospel of Jesus Christ. That is the only Gospel that has EVER been. Even Abraham accepted it, via the seed in him, Christ. He was saved on an unsealed promise, yet to be secured by our Lord. Remember, God told Abraham to be perfect, and He really meant it.
That's not true, 1PM. See the following link:

The Seven Ones.

elohiym

Originally posted by Hilston

That's not true, 1PM. See the following link:

The Seven Ones.
From your paper:

"For the Body of Christ, there is one and only one baptism, namely, that of the Spirit without water."

I assume then, you have not been water baptized? Are you telling me that God was not talking to ALL his children when he stated:
Then will I sprinkle clean water upon you, and ye shall be clean: from all your filthiness, and from all your idols, will I cleanse you. Eze 36:25
:think:

Anyway, I don't think you'll do well advising people to reject the council of God, telling them they are not to baptize with water.

Hilston

Hall of Fame
Originally posted by elohiym
From your paper:

"For the Body of Christ, there is one and only one baptism, namely, that of the Spirit without water."

I assume then, you have not been water baptized?
I have. Twice. Once as an infant. And once as a misguided young believer. I renounce both of them and those sins are forgiven.

Are you telling me that God was not talking to ALL his children when he stated: "Then will I sprinkle clean water upon you, and ye shall be clean: from all your filthiness, and from all your idols, will I cleanse you. Eze 36:25"

:think:
I find it fascinating that you chose to use Israel's scriptures about their future kingdom to prove water baptism for today. Notice where your logic leads. If Ezekiel's message affirms water baptism for today, then it affirms blood sacrifice and burnt offering as well. Consider the following:

Ezekiel 40:39
And in the porch of the gate [were] two tables on this side, and two tables on that side, to slay thereon the burnt offering and the sin offering and the trespass offering.

Ezekiel 40:42
And the four tables [were] of hewn stone for the burnt offering, of a cubit and an half long, and a cubit and an half broad, and one cubit high: whereupon also they laid the instruments wherewith they slew the burnt offering and the sacrifice.

Ezekiel 44:27
And in the day that he goeth into the sanctuary, unto the inner court, to minister in the sanctuary, he shall offer his sin offering, saith the Lord GOD.

Ezekiel 45:19
And the priest shall take of the blood of the sin offering, and put [it] upon the posts of the house, and upon the four corners of the settle of the altar, and upon the posts of the gate of the inner court.

Ezekiel 45:22
And upon that day shall the prince prepare for himself and for all the people of the land a bullock [for] a sin offering.

Those are a small sample of passages from Ezekiel's prophecy. There are tons more. By your logic, burnt offerings and blood sacrifice should be observed as well.

Anyway, I don't think you'll do well advising people to reject the council of God, telling them they are not to baptize with water.
You presume to understand the counsel of God. It is scripture that prohibits water baptism; not me. Here's another passage from Ezekiel that you should compare with other scripture:

Ezekiel 45:17
And it shall be the prince's part [to give] burnt offerings, and meat offerings, and drink offerings, in the feasts, and in the new moons, and in the sabbaths, in all solemnities of the house of Israel: he shall prepare the sin offering, and the meat offering, and the burnt offering, and the peace offerings, to make reconciliation for the house of Israel.

Compare that to the following:
Colossians 2:16
Let no man therefore judge you in meat, or in drink, or in respect of an holyday, or of the new moon, or of the sabbath [days]: 17 Which are a shadow of things to come; but the body [is] of Christ.

This is a prohibition. Do not let anyone regulate you, judge you, impose upon you anything of a ceremonial, sacramental, or religious nature, including the very things found in Israel's scriptures.

BChristianK

Hilston, Lighthouse, Et. All.

I have read “Testing Things That Differ. I have read Bob Hills book “The Big Difference, and I’ve read about 1/3 of the way through The Plot (a friend loaned it to me but I had to give it back before I was finished).

I can say that I have met Bob Hill and I think he is a kind, honest and humble man. I think that he believes what he believes because he is truly convinced that what he believes is true. I have also met (briefly) Bob Enyart and, from what little I know of him, I think I can say the same is true of him. I think they both make some salient points that need to be addressed in biblical exegesis, yet I can honestly say that were I to pick up the New Testament and read it straight through, I would never have come up with a dispensational model.

What that suggests to me is that individuals like Bob Hill and Bob Enyart have pointed out some interesting questions in biblical interpretation and have employed a theological framework that accounts for them. Where I begin to disagree with them, is not in the asking of those questions but that the framework does not appear to me to be biblically derived. Rather, it appears to be formed extra-biblically.

Now that may sound like somewhat of a harsh criticism but it really isn’t meant to be. Everyone employs some extra-biblical methodologies in exegeting scripture. In fact, I don’t know that there is a way to construct a systematic theology without some extra-biblical methodologies. The extra-biblical methodology of many non-dispensationalist covenantalists is to harmonize all passages that appear to be inconsistent. The dispensationalists claim that this methodology is a flawed method, and in some instances, I would agree. The dispensationalist starts with the assumption that there must be a better way to account for those apparent inconsistencies and begin employing the use of dispensations.

The one question that I have always had and that I don’t feel like I have ever received an answer that I can live with is, “why is importing dispensations into the text a better method of explaining apparent scriptural inconsistencies than the harmonization of scripture?

This particular question has been compounded by another nagging question.

One of the things that kept me from going buying an acts 9 interpretation was the noticeable lack of any clear retraction of baptism in any of the Pauline epistles or otherwise. In fact, every single book of the New Testament was written after the conversion of Paul, and not a single one ever says, “stop baptizing.” Paul makes a peripheral statement in 1 Cor 1:17 that he was not sent to baptize (a clause that has a number of plausible non-dispensational interpretations) but not one scriptural command from Paul to discontinue baptism. And that is, to me at least, somewhat peculiar since we have Matthew concluding his gospel with a commission from Christ that not only includes baptism but gives careful instruction as to how it is to be carried out, with no comment by the biblical author that Christ’s words were inapplicable to anyone before the ink dried. Sure, a dispensational model allows for them to be relevant to the disciples to whom they were spoken, but by the time they were written an acts 9 dispensational model already has them as obsolete and replaced by an economy that no longer requires baptism. Furthermore, we have Luke-Acts written by a companion of Paul who most likely converted after Acts 9 but certainly wrote his narrative account after acts 9 (since he includes it in his narrative); Luke writes to a decidedly Greek recipient (Theophilus) and is careful to his tell his Greek audience about the repeated instances of water baptism (including baptisms performed by Paul) and was likewise careful to meticulously recount sermons that commanded baptism. The troubling thing is, there is not even one a parenthetical placed by the author in any of these books, all of them written well after the conversion of Paul, that tells us clearly that God’s plan for baptism has changed. And, it seams to me, that unless you import a dispensational model into the text, you have no means of arriving at the conclusion that God has, in fact, repealed baptism.

So the question that I have is, “how do Acts 9 Dispensationalists justify the putting away baptism when their appears to be no clear biblical mandate to do so?”

I hope that this post will not be taken as an attack, but rather an attempt to get some questions answered, and spark some good natured discussion on the topic amongst believers who all endeavor to seek the truth.

CariV kai Eirhnh

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
Originally posted by 1PeaceMaker

The yearly blood of Atonement had to be sprinkled on the mercy seat, requiring the ark of the covenant. Nimrod's point is still valid.
The forty year exile.:think:

Wasn't that before the law?:doh:

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame

From your paper:

I assume then, you have not been water baptized? Are you telling me that God was not talking to ALL his children when he stated::think:

More works salvation.:nono:

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
Originally posted by BChristianK

Hilston, Lighthouse, Et. All.

I have read “Testing Things That Differ. I have read Bob Hills book “The Big Difference, and I’ve read about 1/3 of the way through The Plot (a friend loaned it to me but I had to give it back before I was finished).

I can say that I have met Bob Hill and I think he is a kind, honest and humble man. I think that he believes what he believes because he is truly convinced that what he believes is true. I have also met (briefly) Bob Enyart and, from what little I know of him, I think I can say the same is true of him. I think they both make some salient points that need to be addressed in biblical exegesis, yet I can honestly say that were I to pick up the New Testament and read it straight through, I would never have come up with a dispensational model.

What that suggests to me is that individuals like Bob Hill and Bob Enyart have pointed out some interesting questions in biblical interpretation and have employed a theological framework that accounts for them. Where I begin to disagree with them, is not in the asking of those questions but that the framework does not appear to me to be biblically derived. Rather, it appears to be formed extra-biblically.

Now that may sound like somewhat of a harsh criticism but it really isn’t meant to be. Everyone employs some extra-biblical methodologies in exegeting scripture. In fact, I don’t know that there is a way to construct a systematic theology without some extra-biblical methodologies. The extra-biblical methodology of many non-dispensationalist covenantalists is to harmonize all passages that appear to be inconsistent. The dispensationalists claim that this methodology is a flawed method, and in some instances, I would agree. The dispensationalist starts with the assumption that there must be a better way to account for those apparent inconsistencies and begin employing the use of dispensations.

The one question that I have always had and that I don’t feel like I have ever received an answer that I can live with is, “why is importing dispensations into the text a better method of explaining apparent scriptural inconsistencies than the harmonization of scripture?

This particular question has been compounded by another nagging question.

One of the things that kept me from going buying an acts 9 interpretation was the noticeable lack of any clear retraction of baptism in any of the Pauline epistles or otherwise. In fact, every single book of the New Testament was written after the conversion of Paul, and not a single one ever says, “stop baptizing.” Paul makes a peripheral statement in 1 Cor 1:17 that he was not sent to baptize (a clause that has a number of plausible non-dispensational interpretations) but not one scriptural command from Paul to discontinue baptism. And that is, to me at least, somewhat peculiar since we have Matthew concluding his gospel with a commission from Christ that not only includes baptism but gives careful instruction as to how it is to be carried out, with no comment by the biblical author that Christ’s words were inapplicable to anyone before the ink dried. Sure, a dispensational model allows for them to be relevant to the disciples to whom they were spoken, but by the time they were written an acts 9 dispensational model already has them as obsolete and replaced by an economy that no longer requires baptism. Furthermore, we have Luke-Acts written by a companion of Paul who most likely converted after Acts 9 but certainly wrote his narrative account after acts 9 (since he includes it in his narrative); Luke writes to a decidedly Greek recipient (Theophilus) and is careful to his tell his Greek audience about the repeated instances of water baptism (including baptisms performed by Paul) and was likewise careful to meticulously recount sermons that commanded baptism. The troubling thing is, there is not even one a parenthetical placed by the author in any of these books, all of them written well after the conversion of Paul, that tells us clearly that God’s plan for baptism has changed. And, it seams to me, that unless you import a dispensational model into the text, you have no means of arriving at the conclusion that God has, in fact, repealed baptism.

So the question that I have is, “how do Acts 9 Dispensationalists justify the putting away baptism when their appears to be no clear biblical mandate to do so?”

I hope that this post will not be taken as an attack, but rather an attempt to get some questions answered, and spark some good natured discussion on the topic amongst believers who all endeavor to seek the truth.

CariV kai Eirhnh
"For if I do this thing willingly, I have a reward: but if against my will, a dispensation of the gospel is committed unto me."
-1 Corinthians 9:17
"That in the dispensation of the fulness of times he might gather together in one all things in Christ, both which are in heaven, and which are on the earth; even in him:"
-Ephesians 1:10
"If ye have heard of the dispensation of the grace of God which is given me to you-ward:"
-Ephesians 3:2
"Whereof I am made a minister, according to the dispensation of God which is given to me for you, to fulfil the word of God:"
-Colossians 1:25

Hilston

Hall of Fame
Hilston, Lighthouse, Et. All. ... I can say that I have met Bob Hill ... I have also met (briefly) Bob Enyart ...
I am guessing that you made these statements on the assumption that I adhere to the doctrines espoused by these men. This is a false assumption, and while there may be a few similarities between their theology and mine, the differences are so vital and fundamental that I fully repudiate any connection to them whatsoever and I oppose being mentioned in connection with them in any way.

... yet I can honestly say that were I to pick up the New Testament and read it straight through, I would never have come up with a dispensational model.
That's because you mistakenly assume harmony is the absence of distinctions. If you come to a verse in which Paul tells you that certain information had been held in silence, completely hidden from the Jewish prophets (Ro 11:25 1Co 2:7 Eph 1:9 3:3-9 5:32 6:19 Col 1:26,27 2:2 4:3 1Ti 3:9,16), shouldn't that tell you that there is a difference between their message and Paul's? When you read the New Testament straight through, the differences between Peter's teachings and Paul's teachings are glaring, unless, of course, you're determined to mash everything together into an amalgamated lump of confusion and murkiness.

First of all, it isn't an importation. The word and concept (oikonomia = household law, 1Co 9:17 Eph 1:10 3:2 Col 1:25) are patently taught in scripture. Paul said the grace given to him was to the intent that he make all men see what is the dispensation of the mystery, which from the beginning of the world hath been hid in God, who created all things by Jesus Christ: (Eph 3:9). How can you miss this? Furthermore, what you call harmonization, I call eisogetical shoehorning. The true harmonization of scripture is achieved by rightly dividing the Word of truth, making exegetically clear and logically sound distinctions between Israel's scriptures and the Body-of-Christ's.

One of the things that kept me from going buying an acts 9 interpretation was the noticeable lack of any clear retraction of baptism in any of the Pauline epistles or otherwise.
One baptism. How much more clear can one be? The Body of Christ is instructed to shun religious ceremony and ritual (Gal 4:8-11 Col 2:8-23). How much more clear can one be? The Body of Christ is seated above angels, and therefore above ritual ceremony (1Co 6:3 Eph 1:20 2:6 3:10). Taken alone, these facts are compelling. Taken together, the argument is inescapable.

In fact, every single book of the New Testament was written after the conversion of Paul, and not a single one ever says, “stop baptizing.”
Did you read the aforementioned link? Not only does it make the case for eschewing water baptism, but for shunning all ceremonial rituals and practices as well. You have more than one "single verse" saying "stop baptizing." There's a whole host of biblical principles that apply. Furthermore, yours is an argument from silence. The purpose of the Greek scriptures outside of the Pauline corpus is to record the historical narratives of the Messiah's life, death, resurrection and ascension, the decline of the nation of Israel, and prescriptions for future Israel.

Paul makes a peripheral statement in 1 Cor 1:17 that he was not sent to baptize (a clause that has a number of plausible non-dispensational interpretations) but not one scriptural command from Paul to discontinue baptism.
Ask yourself this question: In light of Mt 28:19,20, could Peter have uttered those words?

And that is, to me at least, somewhat peculiar since we have Matthew concluding his gospel with a commission from Christ that not only includes baptism but gives careful instruction as to how it is to be carried out, with no comment by the biblical author that Christ’s words were inapplicable to anyone before the ink dried.
It was not the place or role of the disciples of the Kingdom to say anything concerning the Body of Christ. They were not authorized, and chain of communication is especially important. That is the whole point of the first chapter of Galatians.

Sure, a dispensational model allows for them to be relevant to the disciples to whom they were spoken, but by the time they were written an acts 9 dispensational model already has them as obsolete and replaced by an economy that no longer requires baptism.
Everything that was written by the non-Pauline writers of the Greek scriptures pertained either to historical narrative or future Israel. Their writings are no more obselete than the Old Testament.

Furthermore, we have Luke-Acts written by a companion of Paul who most likely converted after Acts 9 but certainly wrote his narrative account after acts 9 (since he includes it in his narrative); Luke writes to a decidedly Greek recipient (Theophilus) and is careful to his tell his Greek audience about the repeated instances of water baptism (including baptisms performed by Paul) and was likewise careful to meticulously recount sermons that commanded baptism.
Theophilus and the Greek audience of Luke would have been water baptized. There is no reason for Luke to step beyond his prescribed role as the recorder of Israel's decline. Furthermore, Luke records the Jewish side of the dual nature of Paul's ministry. Paul not only was the Dispenser of the Mystery, he also ministered to the nation of Israel, confirming the promises of Jehovah to that nation. He celebrated Passover, offered blood sacrifices in the Temple, sponsored ritual circumcisions and vows. And he did all of this righteously and in obedience to the Lord, but for the sake of the nation of Israel. His own hope and calling was apart from that nation, as the charter member of the Body of Christ.

The troubling thing is, there is not even one a parenthetical placed by the author in any of these books, all of them written well after the conversion of Paul, that tells us clearly that God’s plan for baptism has changed.
That's because it hadn't changed for elect Israel and gentile proselytes.

And, it seams to me, that unless you import a dispensational model into the text, you have no means of arriving at the conclusion that God has, in fact, repealed baptism.
If you maintain this view, it isn't because of a rational assessment of the biblical data. It will be because you have an arbitrary preference.

I appreciate the irenic tone of your post. Please let me know if you have further questions or require further elaboration.

Last edited:

Nimrod

Hilton admits in the Future, Christ's atonement will not be sufficeint for salvation

Hilton admits in the Future, Christ's atonement will not be sufficeint for salvation

Originally posted by Hilston

I find it fascinating that you chose to use Israel's scriptures about their future kingdom to prove water baptism for today. Notice where your logic leads. If Ezekiel's message affirms water baptism for today, then it affirms blood sacrifice and burnt offering as well. Consider the following:

Ezekiel 40:39, 40:42, 44:27, 45:19, 45:22

Hilston just admitted to all that in the future, Israel will have their sins forgiven by blood sacrafice. He rejects the idea that Christ's sacrafice was the end of all sacrafices.

This is what dispensationalism teaches. Christ's atonement work was not sufficient for all. :kookoo:

1PeaceMaker

Originally posted by lighthouse

More works salvation.:nono:

By the deeds of the law shall no flesh be justified in His sight, for BY THE LAW is the knowledge of sin.

NOT by baptism is the knowledge of sin! :doh:

Baptism is akin to confession.

Hilston

Hall of Fame
Re: Hilton admits in the Future, Christ's atonement will not be sufficeint for salvat

Re: Hilton admits in the Future, Christ's atonement will not be sufficeint for salvat

Hilston just admitted to all that in the future, Israel will have their sins forgiven by blood sacrafice.
If you understood the symbolism of blood sacrifices from Abel forward, you would not have made this error, Nimrod. OT blood sacrifices pointed forward to the final sacrifice of the Coming One. NT sacrifices look back in celebration of the final sacrifice of Christ. Ezekiel speaks of future blood sacrifices that celebrate, not replace, Christ's atoning work on Calvary.

What is Ezekiel referring to, according to your view, Nimrod?

He rejects the idea that Christ's sacrafice was the end of all sacrafices.
Why should it be? It's the only one that counts for redemption. All other blood sacrifices symbolized and celebrated the one truly efficacious atonement.

This is what dispensationalism teaches. Christ's atonement work was not sufficient for all. :kookoo:
So far, you haven't convinced me that you even understand my position, let alone making any coherent critique of it. Nimrod, do you believe all without exception will be saved?

Nimrod

You should go back and read your own post!

In Ezekiel 44:27
And in the day that he goeth into the sanctuary, unto the inner court, to minister in the sanctuary, he shall offer his sin offering, saith the Lord GOD.

If you are true to dispensationalism, which your are one. Then you take the literal approach to understanding Scriptures. This verse speaks about the future millennium temple( so you say above). Notice it does not say "memorial" offering, but sin offering

Ezekiel speaks of future blood sacrifices that celebrate, not replace
There is no word "celebrate" either. How did you come up to this conclusion, when the Bible specifically says sin offering? How do you get by what the Bible clearly and literaly says?

So here we have in the future millenium, Israel making sin offerings. That! contradicts Scripture.

Nimrod, do you believe all without exception will be saved?
Huh?
:confused: No.