Trump Tax Reform

kmoney

Hall of Fame
I wonder if the GOP will give up on their tax reform as easily as they did on the healthcare bill. :yawn:

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
I wonder if the GOP will give up on their tax reform as easily as they did on the healthcare bill. :yawn:

I think they need to cut the corporate taxes. As to individual taxes, it seems any large cuts to the most wealthy will not be received well, and as corporate tax cuts do benefit the wealthy, in their investments, such additional tax cuts would seem to favor the wealthy more than would be accepted. He would be stupid to not make individual tax cuts more beneficial to lower income workers.

drbrumley

The (mostly) good, the bad, and the ugly in Trump's tax plan
POSTED BY Norm Singleton April 27, 2017
Yesterday, *President Trump unveiled *a tax "reform" plan. Here is the (mostly) good, a few bad, and one ugly piece of the plan:
The Good
1. Lowers taxes for millions of Americans;
2. Removes many Americans from the tax rolls;
3. Lowers the corporate tax rate -- which is currently one of the highest in the world -- to 15%;
4. Increases the standard deduction from $6,300 to $12,600 for individuals, and* from $12,600 to roughly $24,000 for married couples;
5. Reduces the tax rate from 39.5% to 35% and collapses the current seven rate system to three rates of 10%, 25%, and 35%;
6. Allows a one-time reparation to bring millions of dollars of capital into the United States, thus jump-starting job creation and economic growth. (This was also a key feature of Ron Paul's Restore America Now budget plan.);
7. Provides tax relief for families with child care expenses;
8. Repeals the Alternative Minimum Tax, which was created in the 1960s to squeeze more revenue out of the "wealthy" but now affects many middle-class taxpayers;
9. Repeals the death tax;
10. No VAT;
11. No border tax;
12. Repeals ObamaCare's 3.8% tax on investment income;
13. Preserves the mortgage deduction, which helps reduce the tax burden of middle-class homeowners, and saves charitable deductions.
The Bad
1. "Pays for" the tax cuts by eliminating numerous deductions that enable Americans to lower their tax burden. The very notion that tax reduction needs to be "offset" with tax increases is rooted in the idea that the government has some moral claim to a certain percentage of your income and can never lose a penny of revenue.
Of course, the main reason tax increases are necessary to offset is because of:
The Ugly
1. Even with the elimination of tax deductions, many are claiming Trump's tax plan would cause the deficit to skyrocket. Of course, we shouldn't reject Trump's tax plan out-of-hand. Instead, President Trump and Congress should work to merge tax reform with spending cuts.
President Trump has made a good start on cutting domestic spending in his proposed budget. Unfortunately, he uses those savings to increase the already bloated "defense" budget instead of using the savings to reduce the deficit and provide meaningful tax relief for the American people.
Here is Tim Carney on the plan.

jgarden

BANNED
Banned
Trump's new tax reform plan sounds good to me, let's see if the demonrats try to squash it like they do with everything that's good for America -
Only the conservatives would attempt to blame the Democrats for their own failures - conveniently ignoring the embarrassing fact that they currently control the White House and have majorities in both Houses of Congress!

If the federal government shuts down tomorrow, it will only further highlight that the Republicans aren't ready for prime time!

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
The (mostly) good, the bad, and the ugly in Trump's tax plan
POSTED BY Norm Singleton April 27, 2017
Yesterday, *President Trump unveiled *a tax "reform" plan. Here is the (mostly) good, a few bad, and one ugly piece of the plan:
The Good
1. Lowers taxes for millions of Americans;
If they do raise the 15% bracket it will.
2. Removes many Americans from the tax rolls;
3. Lowers the corporate tax rate -- which is currently one of the highest in the world -- to 15%;
Right, but going from 35% to 15% is going to be hard. We would still be world competitive lowering it to 20%, and it would be more palatable to those who are against it.
4. Increases the standard deduction from $6,300 to $12,600 for individuals, and* from $12,600 to roughly $24,000 for married couples;

This would benefit many low income and fixed income persons.
5. Reduces the tax rate from 39.5% to 35% and collapses the current seven rate system to three rates of 10%, 25%, and 35%;
I can see why 35% should be the highest tax bracket, yet I agree with having a 10% bracket and a 15% bracket, then 25% for high income earners and 35% for those who are very high income.
6. Allows a one-time reparation to bring millions of dollars of capital into the United States, thus jump-starting job creation and economic growth. (This was also a key feature of Ron Paul's Restore America Now budget plan.);
We need to do this to get these profits back into the USA.
7. Provides tax relief for families with child care expenses;

This is an important element as we need to help out families as much as possible.
8. Repeals the Alternative Minimum Tax, which was created in the 1960s to squeeze more revenue out of the "wealthy" but now affects many middle-class taxpayers;

Yes, this is just a hidden tax
9. Repeals the death tax;
Good idea, people deserve what they earn to pass on to their children
10. No VAT;
11. No border tax;
12. Repeals ObamaCare's 3.8% tax on investment income;
This is one reason why younger people do not invest as much as older generations
13. Preserves the mortgage deduction, which helps reduce the tax burden of middle-class homeowners, and saves charitable deductions.
The Bad
1. "Pays for" the tax cuts by eliminating numerous deductions that enable Americans to lower their tax burden. The very notion that tax reduction needs to be "offset" with tax increases is rooted in the idea that the government has some moral claim to a certain percentage of your income and can never lose a penny of revenue.
Of course, the main reason tax increases are necessary to offset is because of:
The Ugly
1. Even with the elimination of tax deductions, many are claiming Trump's tax plan would cause the deficit to skyrocket. Of course, we shouldn't reject Trump's tax plan out-of-hand. Instead, President Trump and Congress should work to merge tax reform with spending cuts.
President Trump has made a good start on cutting domestic spending in his proposed budget. Unfortunately, he uses those savings to increase the already bloated "defense" budget instead of using the savings to reduce the deficit and provide meaningful tax relief for the American people.

I agree on this, yet this is a very hard sell. People think we always need a stronger military.

Anyone with an once of common sense knows we cannot lower taxes, then raise spending.

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
The new Tax reform will make taxes simplified, most people will be able to file their own taxes on a single page. Big cuts on the way, but not for the rich. Say good bye to places like H & R Block. Americans spend about 6 billion per year on tax help.

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
Are you ceding such massive power to the dems that they needn't even control a single branch of government in order to hold sway?

Or are you castigating those who do hold the reins of power yet fail to achieve their ends?

The republicans are so used to being obstructionists, that they are completely unable to get anything done. It goes without saying that a party in control of the presidency and both houses of Congress should have no trouble passing anything they want.

But the republican party has retreated from the American people. Bills, instead of being openly debated and worked out by our elected representatives, are now designed in secret by a few old men who then expect everyone else to do their bidding.

And they are baffled when it doesn't work.

It's time for change.

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
In conclusion, it's my decided opinion that even having an economic theory starts with learning to use a calculator and the meaning of positive and negative numbers. Somebody knowing how to add and subtract would be good for the country. I also believe Mr. Trump declared bankruptcy, what, four times was it, which is still another subject with some tangential implications its own? Pardon me if I'm not exactly filled with all the hopeium that's driving the DOW to new highs.

I almost forgot! Using new money from somebody else, to pay old debt, is generally called a Ponzi scheme.

You have some good points.

kmoney

Hall of Fame
I don't really understand why they want to collapse some of the brackets. To me more brackets are better because they will be more specific to the level of income people are making. Sure it's simpler but it seems like there are better ways to simplify.