ECT True or False question (Billy Graham)

True or False question (Billy Graham)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

meshak

BANNED
Banned
Hi , tell us the WAY to salvation with verses , please ??

dan p

Ok, here it is:

Luke 10:25-37 New International Version (NIV)

The Parable of the Good Samaritan

25 On one occasion an expert in the law stood up to test Jesus. “Teacher,” he asked, “what must I do to inherit eternal life?”

26 “What is written in the Law?” he replied. “How do you read it?”

27 He answered, “‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind’[a]; and, ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’

28 “You have answered correctly,” Jesus replied. “Do this and you will live.”

29 But he wanted to justify himself, so he asked Jesus, “And who is my neighbor?”

30 In reply Jesus said: “A man was going down from Jerusalem to Jericho, when he was attacked by robbers. They stripped him of his clothes, beat him and went away, leaving him half dead. 31 A priest happened to be going down the same road, and when he saw the man, he passed by on the other side. 32 So too, a Levite, when he came to the place and saw him, passed by on the other side. 33 But a Samaritan, as he traveled, came where the man was; and when he saw him, he took pity on him. 34 He went to him and bandaged his wounds, pouring on oil and wine. Then he put the man on his own donkey, brought him to an inn and took care of him. 35 The next day he took out two denarii[c] and gave them to the innkeeper. ‘Look after him,’ he said, ‘and when I return, I will reimburse you for any extra expense you may have.’

36 “Which of these three do you think was a neighbor to the man who fell into the hands of robbers?”

37 The expert in the law replied, “The one who had mercy on him.”

Jesus told him, “Go and do likewise.”

musterion

And Graham, baptist that he was, appeared to be one of them:

Have you repented? Have you changed? Is your life different from how it used to be? God’s commands to repent are not capricious. It is not that He wants to see people groveling in subjection before Him. In His imperative call for people to repent, He has their welfare and happiness as His motive. “For godly sorrow produces repentance leading to salvation.” Repentance is a necessary step to salvation.

https://billygraham.org/decision-magazine/january-2007/true-repentance-real-change/

So if he figured "repent" means "change your life" (not just your mind), which in turn means "stop sinning" (which is how your life would look different), then when Graham said "Repentance is a necessary step to salvation," then . . . well . . . you decide what that means.

glorydaz

https://billygraham.org/decision-magazine/january-2007/true-repentance-real-change/

So if he figured "repent" means "change your life" (not just your mind), which in turn means "stop sinning" (which is how your life would look different), then when Graham said "Repentance is a necessary step to salvation," then . . . well . . . you decide what that means.

Well, I think "change your life" can't mean to "stop sinning", since most understand quite well that they continue to have faults. Billy G. was the first to admit being a "sinner". It's unfortunate that there are those who think godly sorrow and repentance are the same thing, but that seems to be quite common.

There is absolutely something that happens to us when we believe. We see ourselves in the light of the presence of God, and in return, when we believe, all things are new. They are new. Our desires change, and that, in turn, means there is a change in our lives.

marhig

If anyone believes 'repentance' means to quit committing any kind of sin, it's an exercise in futility. As long as we're in the flesh we are susceptible to sin. If one believes they must confess every sin before they can receive forgiveness, then, what happens if they die before confession is made? If one must do all kinds of good works/deeds in order to gain eternal life, then, why was the cross necessary?

2 Corinthians 12:21

And lest, when I come again, my God will humble me among you, and that I shall bewail many which have sinned already, and have not repented of the uncleanness and fornication and lasciviousness which they have committed.

Grosnick Marowbe

Hall of Fame
2 Corinthians 12:21

And lest, when I come again, my God will humble me among you, and that I shall bewail many which have sinned already, and have not repented of the uncleanness and fornication and lasciviousness which they have committed.

What is YOUR definition of the word, "Repent?"

musterion

Well, I think "change your life" can't mean to "stop sinning", since most understand quite well that they continue to have faults.

Dearest, I agree with you but the point is, most people DO believe "repent" essentially means "stop sinning," because that's almost 100% of the time how they see the word used.

Even if they also acknowledge and accept the basic meaning of "change your mind," they've overlaid the work of "turning your life around" or however they phrase it on top of the Biblical meaning...because that's how they see it used and that's how they hear it preached.

When THAT wrong definition of "repent" is made part of a gospel presentation, a false gospel is being preached -- something added is being required of the listener that is not found in the saving Gospel of grace (that they stop sinning NOW in addition to trusting Christ's DBR for their sin and justification).

As I've said many times before on this topic: SHOULD people stop sinning? Yes. But Paul never made it a condition of salvation.

Defining "repent" as "stop sinning" does make it a work condition of salvation...something the lost person must do in addition to the work of Christ, if they want to be saved (Lordship Salvation is probably the clearest current example, but not the only one).

meshak

BANNED
Banned
God is certainty helping and strengthening me to overcome them, i couldn't do it without him.
And we will sin till the end of our lives, but we shouldn't keep on wilfully sinning once we are born of God.

exactly.

But if we are not striving to be holy and godly like Jesus, we are not born again.

Jesus says to follow Him.

God is merciful, if we are striving to overcome sins, He will wipe out our sins and being clean.

God looks into our heart.

nikolai_42

Interesting that the word "repent" itself means to "rethink". The Greek word means to "change one's mind". Now, if one believes free will means you are capable of acting against your inclinations, then for them repentance is a whole bunch of things being done independently - admitting what is sin is actually sin, believing that they have to turn from sin, actually turning the other way, and then - finally walking away from it step by step. All these become acts of the free will that has to decide if it is going to act in concert with or against whatever the inclination is at the moment. Note that the first two steps (at least) are clearly and unambiguously the work of the Holy Spirit :

Nevertheless I tell you the truth; It is expedient for you that I go away: for if I go not away, the Comforter will not come unto you; but if I depart, I will send him unto you.
And when he is come, he will reprove the world of sin, and of righteousness, and of judgment:

John 16:7-8

Conviction of sin and direction towards righteousness (which is not in man). Stop and turn.

Now...if the Holy Spirit has done that in a man, why would that man reject what he not only knows to be true, but is convicted of and convinced of? Only if his will is free from being bound by such inclinations. Because as a slave of sin, that same person clearly was unable to turn (nor willing to do so). If God enlightens such a man and shows him his sin and grants him the ability to turn - and the man realizes his former slavery and is turned towards the light, truth and liberty in Christ, how would he decide not to go? He wouldn't (unless the will of man is totally free from any burdens of onus once delivered from the chains of darkness). Nothing, so far, is actually done by man himself.

The last step - walking away from sin - is a direct result of being delivered from slavery to it. And, really, that isn't necessarily a part of immediate repentance, but is the repentance a believer must go through for the remainder of his or her natural life. It is the ongoing part of repentance - but it has its roots entirely in what gave him the immediate repentance to being with - God.

Him hath God exalted with his right hand to be a Prince and a Saviour, for to give repentance to Israel, and forgiveness of sins.
Acts 5:31

When they heard these things, they held their peace, and glorified God, saying, Then hath God also to the Gentiles granted repentance unto life.
Acts 11:18

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
God is certainty helping and strengthening me to overcome them, i couldn't do it without him. And we will sin till the end of our lives, but we shouldn't keep on wilfully sinning once we are born of God.
What you are saying is that GOD only helps you out sometimes, but not enough for you to stop sinning.
That's no different from driving a car that keeps breaking down on ya.

andyc

Hi andyc , and did you read Acts 26:20 , : DOING WORKS BEFITTING THE CHANGE OF MIND !!

What kind os works is it talking ABOUT , to prove you have a CHANGE OF MIND ??

Give it a try , andyc , please tell us ??

Have you read Matt 3:8 where John says , Bring forth therefore FRUIT meet for REPENTANCE !!

Name what the FRUIT IS , if you can , andyc or maybe one of your ACOLYTE will help you ??

dan p

A bad tree cannot produce good fruit. Repentance makes the tree good in order to produce good fruit.
Mad is all about cutting the bad tree some slack in order to remove the fruit growing obligation all together.

andyc

If anyone believes 'repentance' means to quit committing any kind of sin, it's an exercise in futility. As long as we're in the flesh we are susceptible to sin. If one believes they must confess every sin before they can receive forgiveness, then, what happens if they die before confession is made? If one must do all kinds of good works/deeds in order to gain eternal life, then, why was the cross necessary?
1 Timothy 5:20 Those who are sinning rebuke in the presence of all, that the rest also may fear.

andyc

2 Corinthians 7:10 For godly sorrow produces repentance leading to salvation, not to be regretted; but the sorrow of the world produces death.