Toxicity

elohiym

With all sincerity, I'm wary of you Elo. I'll answer your question but I doubt it will be sufficient.

I find your answer sufficient.

I stay with the Church because it's all I've ever known, but I've been struggling with my faith for quite a while now.

I understand. Thank you for sharing that.

My life is in turmoil at the moment and it's part of my life and it's in turmoil too.

I pray the turmoil is brief and the light at the end of the tunnel is close.

Levolor

I agree with you RE the Jews - but they will argue that SSM makes marriage and society stronger, not weaker.

Perhaps in the sense that there are no more young persons dragged behind pick-up trucks; or, with the many others not committing suicide anymore because of the non-acceptance by the people they love.

Yes, in this sense perhaps, but not the marriage...highly doubtful.

GFR7

Perhaps in the sense that there are no more young persons dragged behind pick-up trucks; or, with the many others not committing suicide anymore because of the non-acceptance by the people they love.

Yes, in this sense perhaps, but not the marriage...highly doubtful.
I agree: The marriage will weaken an institution that is already in decay, and in need of a return to tradition - not further postmodern expansion.

elohiym

Why should we turn away from that sweet voice just because we disagree with some of the religious tenets?

So is your implied point the answer to her struggle with faith, or a summary of her struggle with faith?

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I disagree. When you are compassionate, and I've witnessed your compassion, your actions measure up. In that instance, you are doing exactly what Jesus (and Paul) said to do.
I appreciate you softening the blow.
But no, my actions do not measure up.
If they did, my actions would be perfect.
While I may have been somewhat sufficient in some things, my flesh body was never perfect in the true sense.

But I get your drift.

elohiym

I appreciate you softening the blow.
But no, my actions do not measure up.
If they did, my actions would be perfect.

I can give you one irrefutable example of your actions measuring up and being perfect: you cannot be a believer and at the same time believe in more than one God. Therefore, if you believe the gospel your actions (believing the gospel) measure up and are perfect in that sense. Furthermore, if you believe in one God it's impossible for you to simultaneously believe in another God; hence you measure up against that specific commandment, which, if you believe the gospel, you necessarily keep perfectly.

While I may have been somewhat sufficient in some things, my flesh body was never perfect in the true sense.

If God gives a person a new, clean, pure heart as is described in scripture, is that heart perfect or is it only less evil than the old, unclean and impure heart?

But I get your drift.

:cheers:

PureX

So is your implied point the answer to her struggle with faith, or a summary of her struggle with faith?
It was just an observation about people I've known who disagree with some of the Church's edicts, but remain committed to the Church. The edicts aren't their primary concern.

GFR7

Bump for GFR. I'd appreciate a retraction.
Rusha has said I have an "unhealthy obsession" which is code for that. As though I cannot hone in on one political issue (which I do address in my work): Opposing the same sex marriage movement.

If you are not in agreement with her, then I do indeed retract that with regard to you. With apologies. :e4e:

kmoney

Hall of Fame
I'm slightly disappointed that I have come across so much toxicity , mockery and trickery as a new member.
I have joined this site because I am curious , exploring and want to become more committed to God , but I find it really off-putting when some quite a few people seem to find it a joke or some kind of interview that I need to pass. I don't enjoy elitism and think we should treat each other as equals.
I'm just saying this because if this is the way new members usually get treated you are going to scare a lot away.:allsmile:

Yes it can be disappointing at times but I think a lot of TOL is what you make it. There are good discussions and good people, you just have to find it. Ignore the jerks and mean-spirited stuff and get in some good debates where you can.

Hope you stick with it. :wave2:

fzappa13

this is why we need new members
those who have been here years sort of take this for granted
we need to be reminded how uncivil we are
I actually think it has gotten better
but
I also think that I have been corrupted to some degree

most of us are sinners
you will soon find out who isn't

:chuckle:

Were we to be afforded the luxury of self evaluation in the judgment I'm sure the lake of fire would be wanting for guests.

Jewels-PiXie

Thanks

Thanks

Welcome.

This can be a toxic place. It seems odd to be welcoming someone into toxicity but it's the reality. As Rusha said, there are some great people here - and there are also some really nasty people and more than a few who are disturbed to some degree. If you stay, it'll be because you found a way to deal with the negative and find some good in the positive.

And if nothing else, you can get in some good exercise by swimming against the tide. :)

Thank you how do I join the women's group?

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
:chuckle:

Were we to be afforded the luxury of self evaluation in the judgment I'm sure the lake of fire would be wanting for guests.

i self evaluate and perform self analysis every second of every day. this allows me to judge everyone else - :nono: