toldailytopic: Why do atheists spend so much time on Christian forums such as Theolog

Status
Not open for further replies.

nicholsmom

I'm hoping that more atheists will post on this thread to let us know why. I have no particular theory of my own aside from what Granite and Rusha said - well, some do come with the intention of poking fun of theists ... so I'm figuring that each individual gains some sort of entertainment and/or enlightenment (concerning other points of view) regardless of their starting point.

:idea: Hey! Maybe that is a particular theory... of sorts :eek:

WizardofOz

To better understand the OP's question, I went to a Star Trek forum and really got in everyone's face about how much better Star Wars is.

I actually knew more about Star Trek than most of them.

I totally showed em.

Last edited:

Tathagata

And what would the mission accomplish?

I can understand Christians attempting to convert atheists because a Christian believes that the conversion will save the soul of the atheist.

Likewise, Atheists want more people of reason in the world. And even if they don't succeed to overturn the belief in God, argumentation makes people think more critically. The end result will be more reasonable people, even if the belief in God isn't overturned.

The atheist however claims to not believe in a God and claims that morality and right and wrong are relative to the individual.

That's not an Atheist position because being an Atheist doesn't determine what theory of morality you choose (though it does rule out the divine command theory of morality). I know many Atheists who reject moral relativism, which I also reject.

Perhaps you should look up the various moral theories that are neither moral relativism or God-based.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethics

Therefore... the atheist cannot make the claim that his understanding is any more right that the Christian's understanding.

You are equating moral relativism with epistemological relativism.

I think that if a person were truly an atheist he wouldn't care what other people believe and he wouldn't waste any time of forums such as TOL.

Atheists enjoy debating so why shouldn't they join debating websites?

The truth is... all atheists inherently know God exists and they participate here and other places like TOL because they are trying to convince themselves one way or the other. They seek reassurance that they can never satisfy (as an atheist that is). They have an internal battle to fight between what the know to be true but never let on (a god exists), and what they present themselves as believing (that no god exists).

No, I can assure you that I don't believe God exists and in fact, I find that the existence of God would be a burden, so I have no desire to believe.

"I do not believe that God does not exist... I know for sure." - Osho

"Is it possible to live life without God? It is ONLY possible to live life without God." - Osho

"Either God can exist or freedom. Both cannot exist together." - Osho

icilian fenner

duty_calls.png

:chuckle:

Really, though, I came to challenge my views on the world and give christianity and the reasons for believing it a fair shot, since I'd been raised outside of that environment. I stayed because debate is an itch I have to scratch.

Tathagata

From a Buddhist perspective, belief in God is detrimental so there is a motive for Buddhists as well to refute it.

==================

Buddha: "Others think that God is free creator of all things; clinging to these foolish notions, there is no awakening." [Lankavatara Sutra]

Buddha: "Let us, then, surrender the heresies of worshiping God and praying to him." [Culla Vagga 6:2]

Buddha: "When one falls back on creation by a Supreme Being as being essential ...one dwells bewildered & unprotected. One cannot righteously refer to oneself as a contemplative." [Tittha Sutta]

Buddha: "In this same class the disciples are the earnest disciples of other faiths, who clinging to the notions of such things as, the soul as an external entity, Supreme Atman, Personal God, seek a [belief] that is in harmony with them. ...But none of these, earnest though they be, have gained an insight into the truth of the twofold egolessness and are, therefore, of limited spiritual insights as regards deliverance and non-deliverance; for them there is no emancipation. They have great self-confidence but they can never gain a true knowledge of Nirvana." [Lankavatara Sutra]

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
To better the OP's question, I went to a Star Trek forum and really got in everyone's face about how much better Star Wars is.

I actually knew more about Star Trek than most of them.

I totally showed em.
You argued about which was better between Star Wars and Star Trek?:loser:

jgarden

BANNED
Banned
toldailytopic: Why do atheists spend so much time on Christian forums such as TheologyOnline.com -

As a Christian who is currently enrolled in a Masters of Theological Studies program on a part-time basis, I tend to find myself more in agreement with the "atheists" on the social, economic and political issues.

In fact, many "atheists" have a better understanding of the second part of The Greatest Commandment (love of neighbor) than some of those who claim to be Christians.

Lovejoy

toldailytopic: Why do atheists spend so much time on Christian forums such as TheologyOnline.com -

As a Christian who is currently enrolled in a Masters of Theological Studies program on a part-time basis, I tend to find myself more in agreement with the "atheists" on the social, economic and political issues.

In fact, many "atheists" have a better understanding of the second part of The Greatest Commandment (love of neighbor) than some of those who claim to be Christians.

Just to be clear, I normally support these sorts of notions. However, I have been talking to one of the "new" atheists on another thread:

“…the time for dialogue is well past. Religion needs to be destroyed or a the very least marginalized. If humanity is to grow then this must happen…”

“The fact that any attack on religion is taken personally by the followers of that religion is not my concern. They were trying to preach Jesus in the land of Mohammad didn't they think of the consequences. As an atheist you might as well preach Mickey mouse over Pluto, though you theist take these fairy tales seriously,”

“God doesn't exist so ****”

These comments have been increasingly common amongst that particular group. I even get them on facebook now. While it is easy to say..."many atheists have a better understanding of the second part of The Greatest Commandment (love of neighbor) than some of those who claim to be Christians"...it is becoming increasingly clear that, when justified by the tone of those that they take their cues from, atheists are just as big of jerks as anyone.

Memento Mori

These comments have been increasingly common amongst that particular group. I even get them on facebook now. While it is easy to say..."many atheists have a better understanding of the second part of The Greatest Commandment (love of neighbor) than some of those who claim to be Christians"...it is becoming increasingly clear that, when justified by the tone of those that they take their cues from, atheists are just as big of jerks as anyone.

No we're not. Shut up! :nananana:

Just kidding :plain:

Delmar

Patron Saint of SMACK
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
"I do not believe that God does not exist... I know for sure." - Osho

"Is it possible to live life without God? It is ONLY possible to live life without God." - Osho

"Either God can exist or freedom. Both cannot exist together." - Osho

This Osho fellow is certainly a victim of the settled view!

Silent Hunter

Just to be clear, I normally support these sorts of notions. However, I have been talking to one of the "new" atheists on another thread:

“…the time for dialogue is well past. Religion needs to be destroyed or a the very least marginalized. If humanity is to grow then this must happen…”

“The fact that any attack on religion is taken personally by the followers of that religion is not my concern. They were trying to preach Jesus in the land of Mohammad didn't they think of the consequences. As an atheist you might as well preach Mickey mouse over Pluto, though you theist take these fairy tales seriously,”

“God doesn't exist so ****”

The "new atheist" wants the RELIGION to be "destroyed." This is in stark contrast to the religious person who wants the ATHEIST to be destroyed (take the majority attitude of Christians toward homosexuals for example).

Frank Ernest

Hall of Fame
Oh no you didn't!! I actually prefer my atheists old school, you know, the hyper-individualist. The 'new' kids seem to be keeping a party line of some kind, and a grouchy one at that!
It's New-Age atheism. Claim to be a Christian in good standing, then agree with the atheists. I think it more under the heading of the easy way out. The atheist says he can do anything he wants because there are no rules, no God. The apostate Christian says that the rules must change to suit him, so God must conform.

2 Thessalonians 2:3-12 (KJV)

Last edited:

Skavau

It's New-Age atheism. Claim to be a Christian in good standing, then agree with the atheists. I think it more under then heading of the easy way out. The atheist says he can do anything he wants because there are no rules, no God. The apostate Christian says that the rules must change to suit him, so God must conform.

2 Thessalonians 2:3-12 (KJV)
I don't know anyone ever, that claims they can do what they like, when they like, how they like.

Skavau

:darwinsm: Looks like we get into Denial early on.

I have no idea what you mean by this. I've interacted with many moral nihilists and outright anarchists that still operate by behavioural constraint and a code of conduct. I've met many different atheists that all reject cultural relativism and the foolhardy notion of "doing what you like whenever".

I bet I've met more atheists than you, and certainly being an atheist myself I do not hold true to the notion that I can do whatever I like, whenever.

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
when someone has a belief significantly different from yours

you have to wonder why
and
this is the place to find out why
because
every now and then a reasonable discussion breaks out

Frank Ernest

Hall of Fame
I have no idea what you mean by this.
A claim of ignorance usually follows denial.
I've interacted with many moral nihilists and outright anarchists that still operate by behavioural constraint and a code of conduct.
A lesson in contradictions to be sure.
I've met many different atheists that all reject cultural relativism and the foolhardy notion of "doing what you like whenever".
Yes, they SAY that. Just as quickly, they will defend it.
I bet I've met more atheists than you, and certainly being an atheist myself I do not hold true to the notion that I can do whatever I like, whenever.
Who said that what I said was all about you? I do enjoy the narcissistic approach though.

Skavau

Frank Ernest said:
A claim of ignorance usually follows denial.
Oh sir, it was not meant as a claim of ignorance - it was meant to point out to your complete incoherency.

A lesson in contradictions to be sure.
Perhaps so. It does not matter. I have never met a single person, nevermind atheist that claims that they can do what they like when they like. You have failed so far to even bother to back up your claims that "the atheist says he can do anything he wants because there are no rules, no God". I don't make such a claim, and I am an atheist.

Yes, they SAY that. Just as quickly, they will defend it.
Name some. Why would someone pretend to support cultural relativism and then defend it?

Who said that what I said was all about you? I do enjoy the narcissistic approach though.
It wasn't "all about me", but it included me as you described atheists.

Status
Not open for further replies.