toldailytopic: What do you believe is the most misunderstood thing about God and His

Totton Linnet

Silver Subscriber
The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for May 29th, 2012 09:54 AM

toldailytopic: What do you believe is the most misunderstood thing about God and His word?

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

Choose ye this day who ye will SERVE

How people translate this into free will mysifies me.

Dena

If you don't believe that the Bible is God's word, why do you use it? or don't you?

Because it is the basis for the religion of the Jews, it is a holy and sacred writing and can lead to a beautiful and meaningful life.

Sheila B

Why would that be one of his top priorities? That's just downright petty. You really think God is like that?

So...what is your take on the Yom Kippur liturgy of Temple times? The awe due His Name is one of the chief points of the Day.

Ps82

I believe that people don't understand how an invisible eternal spiritual God made it possible to literally reveal himself within his own creation as the creator, the savior, and as the Holy Spirit in them. IOW, how he can be ONE God ... known to men in three individual ways.

Buzzword

One of the biggest misunderstandings is the overimportance placed on names.

If God is God, then He CAN be YWH/Adonai, Allah, Buddha, Krishna, the Great Spirit, Izanagi/Izanami, Manatu, Zeus, Jupiter, Tiamat, Mother Earth, and Nyx.

All of the above are simply perceptions by different peoples within different cultural contexts at different points in history of the SAME THING: higher existence which comes into our lower existence.
The reasons for that invasion vary across cultural, national, and historical lines, but they all point to something outside our perception of reality coming into our reality.

I would much rather see a person living a selfless life while worshiping Zeus than exploiting others and acting out of selfish arrogance while claiming to follow Christ.

bybee

If God is God, then He CAN be YWH/Adonai, Allah, Buddha, Krishna, the Great Spirit, Izanagi/Izanami, Manatu, Zeus, Jupiter, Tiamat, Mother Earth, and Nyx.

All of the above are simply perceptions by different peoples within different cultural contexts at different points in history of the SAME THING: higher existence which comes into our lower existence.
The reasons for that invasion vary across cultural, national, and historical lines, but they all point to something outside our perception of reality coming into our reality.

I would much rather see a person living a selfless life while worshiping Zeus than exploiting others and acting out of selfish arrogance while claiming to follow Christ.

Wellllll, I do see some problems with Zeus. The beautiful nubile young maidens would not be safe!

Dena

So...what is your take on the Yom Kippur liturgy of Temple times? The awe due His Name is one of the chief points of the Day.

I can't say I have much of an opinion unless you want to narrow that down or ask something more specific.

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame

Is this why God commanded Israel to tear down all the altars, and such, relating to those other gods?

aaronhop

John 14:6 - Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.

Plus, if there are pretty much infinite ways to gain eternal life, then why did Jesus have to die? Why suffer for our sins if there are other ways of salvation?

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
John 14:6 - Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.

Plus, if there are pretty much infinite ways to gain eternal life, then why did Jesus have to die? Why suffer for our sins if there are other ways of salvation?
All roads do lead to God. The way through Jesus leads to Him as our Savior, and all the rest lead to Him as our judge.*

*credit to Bob Enyart.

Buzzword

Is this why God commanded Israel to tear down all the altars, and such, relating to those other gods?

Nope, but it does explain why MEN tore down the altars of their neighbors' gods (after wiping them out with superior military strength), to demonstrate the superiority they believed their deity to have.

Men who have a flawed perception of God will naturally give Him credit for the atrocities they commit.

It was true of the Hebrews, it was true of the Templars, and it's true of the Taliban.