toldailytopic: What can be done to help prevent the epidemic of school shootings?

vegascowboy

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
God bless and comfort the families of those who remain behind to mourn and to grieve.

Thank God for His comfort.

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
Today isn't a day to be clever or sarcastic or to say I told you so or to advocate for or against gun control or to prognosticate about our future. Today is a day to mourn and pray.

Amen.

The news just said that the bodies of those poor children are still where they fell, their parents not yet able to get to them, to hold them. Such pain, such grief.

Huckleberry

Today isn't a day to be clever or sarcastic or to say I told you so or to advocate for or against gun control or to prognosticate about our future. Today is a day to mourn and pray.

Amen.

The news just said that the bodies of those poor children are still where they fell, their parents not yet able to get to them, to hold them. Such pain, such grief.
I don't know about that. Isn't this a time for anger, too? Some are and will be angry that guns exist and that people are able to get their hands on them. I'm angry that there wasn't someone there with a gun when this happened, to shoot this crazy person in the head and save the lives of who knows how many children.

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
I don't know about that. Isn't this a time for anger, too? Some are and will be angry that guns exist and that people are able to get their hands on them. I'm angry that there wasn't someone there with a gun when this happened, to shoot this crazy person in the head and save the lives of who knows how many children.

Anger is often a part of grief, often related or associated with trauma, so I can understand anger, sure. SoJ didn't say anything about anger, though.

vegascowboy

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

I, too, want to be angry. I am a big supporter of gun rights.

But right now all I feel is a profound and ponderous sadness.

I cannot imagine loosing a child at all, let alone in such an evil and tragic manner. Loosing my wife was enough.

It makes me want to hold onto my children and never let go. Not realistic, but that is how I feel nevertheless.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
I have heard the President and a dozen media reporters all say... "go home and hug your children." And while that's never bad advice you shouldn't stop there.

Hug your children and tell them...
- That life is sacred.
- Tell them they are not just animals that evolved from slime.
- Tell them that they were created by a loving God who gave them a spirit and a soul.
- Tell them there are eternal consequences for our actions here on earth.
- Tell them that God loves them and wants them to love Him in return.
- Tell them that it's wrong to kill innocent children, even children still in the womb.
- Tell them that life has purpose and meaning greater than the current events surrounding their life.
- Tell them that we should love God, family, and our neighbors, and that we should care for other people around us.
- Tell them that God doesn't orchestrate wicked events and that God grieves with us when people do wicked things.
- Tell them that there IS such a thing as right and wrong and that morality doesn't come from our wicked society but from God Himself.
- Tell them that God loves us so much He sent His only Son to die on the cross so that we could live.
- Tell them that God gave parents the responsibility to love our own children they way He loves us.
- Tell them that you love them and make sure they understand what that means.

So yes hug your children.... but don't stop there.

vegascowboy

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I have heard the President and a dozen media reporters all say... "go home and hug your children." And while that's never bad advice you shouldn't stop there.

- That life is sacred.
- Tell them that they were created by a loving God who gave them a spirit and a soul.
- Tell them that it's wrong to kill innocent children, even children still in the womb.
- Tell them that life has purpose and meaning greater than the current events surrounding their life.
- Tell them that we should love God, family, and our neighbors, and that we should care for other people around us.
- Tell them that God doesn't orchestrate wicked events and that God grieves with us when people do wicked things.
- Tell them that there IS such a thing as right and wrong and that morality doesn't come from our wicked society but from God Himself.
- Tell them that God loves us so much He sent His only Son to die on the cross so that we could live.
- Tell them that God gave parents the responsibility to love our own children they way He loves us.

That was a very, very excellent post. Thank you, Knight.

Traditio

BANNED
Banned
Yet Another 'Gun-Free Zone' Massacre

It is rather ironic that these shooting massacres keep happening in gun-free zones. I remember a similar comment about how the Colorado movie theater shooting occurred in a gun-free zone. In fact, I think that you brought it up, didn't you?

drbrumley

- That life is sacred.

My choice for post of the year right there.

Zeus

BANNED
Banned
It is rather ironic that these shooting massacres keep happening in gun-free zones. I remember a similar comment about how the Colorado movie theater shooting occurred in a gun-free zone. In fact, I think that you brought it up, didn't you?
Spurious correlation! Places are designated gun-free zones in part BECAUSE they are potential targets for mass violence.

You see a lot of obese people drinking diet coke for a similar reason.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
This coupled with Knight's and anna's and any similar sentiment I haven't read here yet.

genuineoriginal

Gee, should we require all adults have guns?

Interesting suggestion. Though, if that happens, I can foresee it leading to a rapid decrease in the percentage of liberals in America, while the majority of conservatives will just keep their guns loaded and unfired.

Traditio

BANNED
Banned
Spurious correlation! Places are designated gun-free zones in part BECAUSE they are potential targets for mass violence.

You see a lot of obese people drinking diet coke for a similar reason.

"Spurious correlation"? I'm not making a correlation. I am making a simple observation. It is actually the case, that is, it is a fact that at least two shooting massacres have occurred in gun-free zones.

Is this to say that gun-free zones cause shootings? I'm not claiming that.

It this to say that things would have turned out differently if more people had guns? Again, I'm not claiming that.

I am noting a simple fact: these shooting massacres are occurring in gun-free zones.

Now, I am assuming that gun-free zones are designated "gun-free" in order to prevent shooting massacres.

After all. If people don't have guns, then they can't massacre each other by shooting each other with guns. Right?

So why on earth are shooting massacres happening in gun-free zones?

I think that's a fair question.

This Charming Manc

Condolences to the parents, the families, the school and the country.

It is not my job yo tell the Americans how they should live there lives, all I will say though it was a tragedy like this that made us move from being a society were handguns and anti personnel weapons were rare to open where handguns and other anti personnel weapons were just not available through legitimate channels.

I don't think its a perfect solution but I don't think we got it wrong either.

All of you keep well, look after you families, and when things calm down spend time to think about whether your society relationship with guns is a healthy as you think it is.

All the best
Jon

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
The answer is always, of course, more guns, bigger guns, and more people with bigger guns. If those 4th graders had all been packin' we'd be hearing a different story!

Could you possibly be any more of an unbelievable jerk. :bang:

My son was shot to death driving on the freeway just coming home from work the sunday after thanksgiving.

I don't blame the gun that killed my son any more than i blame the gun that harmed these innocents here.

The method that an evil person chooses to perpetrate their choice of evil, doesn't change the FACT that the evil came from the person, not their method to carry out their dark imagination.

The answer is Christ - and unfortunately untill He returns the world will continue to be fallen and the hearts of many men will turn to evil ways.

jeremysdemo

this was a terrible day,

we need better security in schools,

I don't care if you are a family member of an employee or past employee you should not be able to get in the school unless you are faculty or parent of student (or a student of course).

With all the airport security in the private sector I can't beleive the government doesn't wise up and take the public sector security seriously enough like we do in supposed "bad area" schools (metal detectors and such).

Even 1 security guard at the front door with a wand making $10 and hour could have made a difference here.

There you go Obama, create some jobs, 98,817 to be exact, that is how many public school there are.

keep shinin

jerm :cool:

genuineoriginal

this was a terrible day,

we need better security in schools,

I don't care if you are a family member of an employee or past employee you should not be able to get in the school unless you are faculty or parent of student (or a student of course).

With all the airport security in the private sector I can't beleive the government doesn't wise up and take the public sector security seriously enough like we do in supposed "bad areas" (metal detectors and such).

Even 1 security guard at the front door with a wand making $10 and hour could have made a difference here.

There you go Obama, create some jobs, 98,817 to be exact, that is how many public school there are.

keep shinin

jerm :cool:

And this is exactly how the government will be able to install TSA in public schools and malls.

Everyone make sure you have your papers ready.

poland-krakow-checkpoint-t13138_2.jpg