toldailytopic: What can be done to help prevent the epidemic of school shootings?

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
The picture of the woman on the phone is crushing.

Yes it is, kmo. Such unimaginable terror, not knowing if her child is safe or not. Such searing pain and grief if not, such rapture if safe - but it will always be tempered by the trauma of the day and the knowledge of the others lost, and those whose loved ones were taken from them.

Dena

The people who commit these crimes are generally insane or sociopaths so it seems to be the first line of defense would be mental health care and education.

Education: Parents need to know what to look for in their children. They need to act when they notice something that isn't quite right. Do not ignore it. Do not assume they will grow out of it.

Lessening the Stigma of Mental Illness: People often feel shame when they are a family member have a mental illness. Why? Are we humiliated by cancer? No. It's the same thing. It's okay to admit you or a child has a problem. It's okay to ask for help.

Mental Health Care: It needs to be available to everyone. Period.

Sociopaths: There are few true sociopaths but the fact is that many mass murders and serial killers fit the criteria. What can we do about it? We need more research.

School security: It sucks that we need armed men and women in schools but apparently we do. Like Huckleberry said, just one or two adults who were armed would make a difference. These don't have to be extra employees of the school. It could be voluntary by those already working in the school system. Volunteers could be assessed (to determine if they are fit and able to function under that kind of duress), trained and armed.

Quincy

My thoughts exactly! :up:

Just the other day though there was a shooting in mall, maybe it was yesterday? I initially thought it was that shooting that there were talking about on the news. Anyways, is the answer really closing the schools? Must we close all public venues to be safe? :think:

Granite

Hall of Fame
You and Madeleine Murray then?

I've seen the before and after pictures.

Putting 2 and 2 together is rather simple.

Uh, what? I'm shaking my head at an unspeakable tragedy, Lon, try not to read any tea leaves.:bang:

Vaquero45

Hall of Fame
Metal detector security points at entrances with armed staff of some sort is all I can think of. To be "safe" you'd have to run every public gathering place like an airport. People can still be idiots with all kinds of tools but if you can effectively weed out all unauthorized guns and pointy metal it would cut down the damage. Since that is not realistic, armed citizens are the best deterent. Far from perfect but it's all I have for the reality of the situation.

Cant imagine those poor families right now, tears my heart out.

Delmar

Patron Saint of SMACK
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for December 14th, 2012 10:15 AM

toldailytopic: What can be done to help prevent the epidemic of school shootings?

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

A well armed militia in every school?

Huckleberry

Metal detector security points at entrances with armed staff of some sort is all I can think of. To be "safe" you'd have to run every public gathering place like an airport. People can still be idiots with all kinds of tools but if you can effectively weed out all unauthorized guns and pointy metal it would cut down the damage. Since that is not realistic, armed citizens are the best deterent. Far from perfect but it's all I have for the reality of the situation.
This sort of thing is essentially a natural disaster. There really isn't much you can do to prevent it.

I agree. An armed citizenry is the best safeguard we have against it. Which isn't to suggest it's a very good safeguard, just the best possible.
Cant imagine those poor families right now, tears my heart out.
I can't either. :nono:
I'm pretty sure I'd just completely lose my mind if I were they.

Buzzword

Okay, seriously, can we once and for all drop the idea that armed volunteers could have done ANYTHING today?

The guy had an ASSAULT RIFLE and was wearing BODY ARMOR.

What are most concealed carriers packing?
A handgun.

A handgun does NOTHING against a person in body armor.
TEN handguns do NOTHING against a person in body armor.
The person in body armor is free to mow down all these people who supposedly made the place safer and continue killing as if nothing happened.

Last edited:

Huckleberry

Okay, seriously, can we once and for all cut the BS that armed volunteers could have done ANYTHING today?

A handgun.

The person in body armor is free to mow down all these people who supposedly made the place safer and continue killing as if nothing happened.

Was he wearing body armor on his face?

If I were there then it would really, really suck but I would take the shot. Shouldn't I?

P.S. It occurs to me that the question I should have asked is, "Wouldn't you?"

Delmar

Patron Saint of SMACK
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Okay, seriously, can we once and for all cut the BS that armed volunteers could have done ANYTHING today?

A handgun.

ever heard of a head shot?
Initial reports all said that the guy in the Batman movie was wearing body armor, but it turned out not to be true.

drbrumley

The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for December 14th, 2012 10:15 AM

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

Home school!!!!!!!!!!!!!! We can't afford to make missionaries out of our kids. They are either getting blown away or having their soul taken from em.

drbrumley

The answer is always, of course, more guns, bigger guns, and more people with bigger guns. If those 4th graders had all been packin' we'd be hearing a different story!

Yet Another 'Gun-Free Zone' Massacre

Posted by Thomas DiLorenzo on December 14, 2012 02:52 PM

What a travesty that there was not a single armed adult in that school in Newtown, Connecticut who could have stopped that murderous devil who killed more than two dozen people today. Get ready for another round of insanity pleas by the mainstream media circus arguing that it is possible to have a law that would disarm criminals once and for all.

So go ahead, parents, keep sending your children to these government lockdown facilities/statist indoctrination camps that boast to the treetops to every murderous lunatic out there that they are not only drug-free (ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha) but also gun-free zones.