toldailytopic: What are some of God's most prominent attributes?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Son of Jack

I would agree with steko, else He wouldn't have named Himself Yahweh. He is also Savior, else He wouldn't have named Himself Yeshua (Jesus). I realize that His being Savior isn't an attribute, per say, but His actions as Savior cannot be separated from His nature.

Ask Mr. Religion

☞☞☞☞Presbyterian (PCA) &#9
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
God had a personal opinion that is well worth reviewing:

Exd 34:6 And the LORD passed before him and proclaimed, "The LORD, the LORD God, merciful and gracious, longsuffering, and abounding in goodness and truth,

So did the angels in His court:

Rev 4:8 [The] four living creatures, each having six wings, were full of eyes around and within. And they do not rest day or night, saying: "Holy, holy, holy, Lord God Almighty, Who was and is and is to come!"

God is sovereign, holy, something wholly other (transcendent) than his creatures. We need to remember this when we start to thinking we can make God in our own image.

AMR

Last edited:

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
And the angels are not doing this from effort, rather it is bliss! God is transcendent and many humans do not understand the 'make in our image' concept. They sometimes think it means we look like God, which is incorrect. The part of God being jealous is a BIG misconception, what it means is relevant to humans in a time. God is perfect in all ways.

Ask Mr. Religion

☞☞☞☞Presbyterian (PCA) &#9
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
And the angels are not doing this from effort, rather it is bliss! God is transcendent and many humans do not understand the 'make in our image' concept. They sometimes think it means we look like God, which is incorrect. The part of God being jealous is a BIG misconception, what it means is relevant to humans in a time. God is perfect in all ways.
Yup!

God is jealous (zealously vigilant) for His glory and worship. It rightfully belongs to Him. Too often human jealously or envy involves our wanting of something we have no right to have.

All honor, glory, adoration, and worship belong to God and only to God—only God is worthy of these. When we give our honor, glory, adoration, and worship to something else, God is rightly jealous over our idol worship (wrong views of His being). Paul spoke of this same jealousy, that is, a consuming, single-minded pursuit of a good, in 2 Corinthians 11:2: "I am jealous for you with a godly jealousy..."

AMR

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
He is perfect and righteous, and never makes the wrong choice.

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
The problem is people assume to ready that God is jealous of what people do, such as believing to gold cows and such nonsense! God is; He is what makes me worth something and if I were blind to this, then I would think wrong of God being jealous.

Silent Hunter

...yet, so many of us have detected something, someone who, like electricity is known to us. This would have to be a mass hallucination which spans all of known history and all of the known peoples. How likely is that?:think:
:idunno: . . . sounds iffy to my . . . :sigh:.

nicholsmom

Pretty much what Ktoyou said. God's best attribute is that He is. Without God, there is no freedom. Without God, we are just biological machines doing, thinking, feeling just what has been programmed in by way of hard-wiring (genetics) and software (stuff that happens to and around us). Without God, even love is just a programmed response to stimuli. I couldn't live with that sort of futility. Even if there were no evidence for God (which is absolutely not true), I would seek Him because purpose of life depends on His existence, and so survival depends on the same. I honestly can't understand how the godless can stand the futility of life without God.

bybee

:idunno: . . . sounds iffy to my . . . :sigh:.

Some of the greatest minds, the most profound thinkers throughout history have believed in a Creator greater than nature.
Many years ago when first I came across Emerson I was kind of blown away by the idea of God as transcendent. I had considered God to be immanent and thought no more about it.
Now, I have no problem with God as both transcendent and immanent.
God is that God is. I have enough revelation to function as God intended me to function.
I reiterate, for me, God is up close and personal. It is not only an intellectual knowing but also a sensing of the "supernatural" which defies explanation.
I love my life.

Silent Hunter

Some of the greatest minds, the most profound thinkers throughout history have believed in a Creator greater than nature.
. . . and that proves a god exist . . . how . . . exactly?

Many years ago when first I came across Emerson I was kind of blown away by the idea of God as transcendent. I had considered God to be immanent and thought no more about it.
Now, I have no problem with God as both transcendent and immanent.
God is that God is. I have enough revelation to function as God intended me to function.
I reiterate, for me, God is up close and personal. It is not only an intellectual knowing but also a sensing of the "supernatural" which defies explanation.
I love my life.
. . . Dear Heart . . . I've read many testimonials like this . . . it doesn't make a god any more likely than no god at all . . . :dead:.

bybee

. . . and that proves a god exist . . . how . . . exactly?

. . . Dear Heart . . . I've read many testimonials like this . . . it doesn't make a god any more likely than no god at all . . . :dead:.

My friend, I am not out to prove anything, just stating how I see things and the fact that I choose to pay attention to what worthy people have to say.
And the good news for me is this, if I am free to choose, and I am, whether God exists or does not exist, and if it seems more sensible to me to believe that God exists then I have a mind set in place which colors the totality of my life. I like it like that!

Silent Hunter

My friend, I am not out to prove anything, . . .
. . . No?

. . . just stating how I see things . . .
. . . how any one particular person "sees" things isn't necessarily an indication of how things "are."

. . . and the fact that I choose to pay attention to what worthy people have to say.
. . . "worthy" people? "Profound" statements aren't limited to being uttered by the "worthy."

And the good news for me is this, if I am free to choose, . . .
. . . bowing to fear isn't "free choice."

. . . and I am, whether God exists or does not exist, . . .
. . . fear is a powerful motivator.

. . . and if it seems more sensible to me to believe that God exists then I have a mind set in place which colors the totality of my life.
. . . the truly sensible answer is an honest "I don't know," since a god can neither be proved or disproved.

I like it like that!
:crackup:

bybee

. . . No?

. . . how any one particular person "sees" things isn't necessarily an indication of how things "are."

. . . "worthy" people? "Profound" statements aren't limited to being uttered by the "worthy."

. . . bowing to fear isn't "free choice."

. . . fear is a powerful motivator.

. . . the truly sensible answer is an honest "I don't know," since a god can neither be proved or disproved.

:crackup:

You know me not! I have never in my life had a fear of the Creator of the universe. In fact, generally, I am not a fearful person. Snakes, bloodsuckers and internal parasites arouse my fear. Otherwise, things are what they are and it is what it is and I will deal with circumstances as they present themselves to me.
You choose disbelief. I choose belief. Life is sweet to me. This world is filled with beauty and I soak it in.
When I get to heaven and sing in one of the celestial choirs I shall sing a new song just for you!

Silent Hunter

You know me not! I have never in my life had a fear of the Creator of the universe.
. . . you confuse fear with . . . awe and reverence.

In fact, generally, I am not a fearful person. Snakes, bloodsuckers and internal parasites arouse my fear. Otherwise, things are what they are and it is what it is and I will deal with circumstances as they present themselves to me.
. . . :mmph: . . . :idunno:.

You choose disbelief. I choose belief.
. . . for entirely different reasons . . . I'd wager . . .

Life is sweet to me.
. . . and the only one you will have . . . ever.

This world is filled with beauty and I soak it in.
:cool:

When I get to heaven and sing in one of the celestial choirs I shall sing a new song just for you!
. . . sounds like a boring . . . eternity . . . you've got planned . . . :sigh: . . . to each . . . whatever.

pqmomba8

And you spend how much? All income less what you need to eat bread and water? You are a liar.

Please.....spare me your cheap and empty patronage.

Funny thing is, other than the worthless rhetoric of "God is not responsible for this world", no one has provided a tangible explanation why the innocent and defenseless 2, 3 year olds must suffer if He is "all / infinitely loving". Oy vey.....dense crowd.

bybee

. . . you confuse fear with . . . awe and reverence.

. . . :mmph: . . . :idunno:.

. . . for entirely different reasons . . . I'd wager . . .

. . . and the only one you will have . . . ever.

:cool:

. . . sounds like a boring . . . eternity . . . you've got planned . . . :sigh: . . . to each . . . whatever.

I don't believe I am confused.
Eternity is, regardless of what I think. So I think sweet thoughts.
As to plans, my plans are for today.

bybee

Please.....spare me your cheap and empty patronage.

Funny thing is, other than the worthless rhetoric of "God is not responsible for this world", no one has provided a tangible explanation why the innocent and defenseless 2, 3 year olds must suffer if He is "all / infinitely loving". Oy vey.....dense crowd.

The answer, my friend, is that we are not always loving. In fact, many of us are hardly loving ever.
Density exists in all sorts of crowds!

Status
Not open for further replies.