toldailytopic: What about abortion in cases of rape?

Silent Hunter

No. Only for those who reject the absolute standard of revealed ethics.
That's the difference between you and me . . . I don't (and at one time you didn't) need a "book" to determine the difference between what is "right" and what is "wrong". I think that makes me more moral than most . . . not less . . . ;).

Silent Hunter

The fact that you cannot see this cluster of cells as a child noes not make it any less a child.
As my friend Town Heretic might say, "The cluster of cells is simply a human (person) in an earlier stage of development" . . . though we agree to disagree.

oldhermit

Could anyone deny that there is life in those few sells or for that matter, in the one cell that is the beginning of the process of human development?

Silent Hunter

Could anyone deny that there is life in those few sells or for that matter, in the one cell that is the beginning of the process of human development?
I don't deny that the cells are alive . . . but they hardly rise to the accepted standard of what constitutes a "person" in my opinion.

alwight

Why does it have to destroy their relationship?
As I already indicated ("to some extent") it doesn't absolutely have to perhaps but given that most married couples don't normally have a purely platonic relationship, then sleeping with a wife pregnant by a rapist is not my idea of an aphrodisiac, never mind the physical fact that they cannot now plan their own family and domestic lives for at least for 9 months and beyond. The most saintly husband surely cannot be expected remain stalwartly unaffected and without any form of resentment, well I probably couldn't anyway.

Silent Hunter

As I already indicated ("to some extent") it doesn't absolutely have to perhaps but given that most married couples don't normally have a purely platonic relationship, then sleeping with a wife pregnant by a rapist is not my idea of an aphrodisiac, never mind the physical fact that they cannot now plan their own family and domestic lives for at least for 9 months and beyond. The most saintly husband surely cannot be expected remain stalwartly unaffected and without any form of resentment, well I probably couldn't anyway.
Agreed. Talk about being between a rock next to a hard spot! I think though the strong marriage can survive though and certainly depends on the woman's decision and the man's constitution.

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
The only reason a woman would abort those "few cells in a puddle of water" is because she does not want to have a CHILD.
Exactly. I differentiate between what is a few cells with no form or structure from what is obviously a baby.

The appearances of the stages a life form goes through doesn't keep it from being the same life form from start to finish.

None of the stages below look anything like the other, but it is the same life form.
Killing this life form in ANY of it's stages is killing the life form itself.
And that life form is a human being.

Untitled-6.jpg
Untitled-5.jpg
imagesqtbnANd9GcQXx4OVhtVtsvFXSyp4V.jpg

ebenz47037

Proverbs 31:10
Silver Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Abortion shouldn't even be offered to rape victims. They, usually, aren't in their right minds after being raped. If they're anything like some of the rape victims I know, they just say yes to everything that is asked of them because they feel numb. You don't want to give them an option to do something that can potentially bring a lifetime of guilt.

Silent Hunter

The appearances of the stages a life form goes through doesn't keep it from being the same life form from start to finish.

None of the stages below (in the pictures in the original post) look anything like the other, but it is the same life form.
Killing this life form in ANY of it's stages is killing the life form itself.
And that life form is a human being.
I appreciate and respect your opinion Tambora. Can you respect mine?

vnctblzn

What about abortion in cases of rape?
ideally, i would suggest that abortion should never be committed for any reason. however, i would have to choose the lesser of two evils here. i would make an exception in this case. some cases also involve incest which is more amplified. a mother may not have the psychological capacity to carry through with a pregnancy in these circumstances, let alone to raise the child properly.

vegascowboy

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
ideally, i would suggest that abortion should never be committed for any reason. however, i would have to choose the lesser of two evils here. i would make an exception in this case. some cases also involve incest which is more amplified. a mother may not have the psychological capacity to carry through with a pregnancy in these circumstances, let alone to raise the child properly.

If a mother with a toddler does not have the "psychological capacity" to take care of her child, should she be allowed to murder it? What if she can't raise that child properly?

What if a woman is raped and she goes through with the pregnancy. And then, some days (months, years) after the child's birth, she decides she made a mistake and doesn't want the child anymore?

alwight

The fact that you cannot see this cluster of cells as a child noes not make it any less a child.
Well, I simply disagree, for me and my particular least-worst-case scenario it has none of the features of a person/child that I recognise, and I don't think it contains a soul or any such thing, for me a child/person at that stage I'm talking about has yet to emerge.
At that early stage I see no great ethical or moral problem with an abortion in a specific case of rape. It can be a reasonable and ethical choice to make imo.

Silent Hunter

Abortion shouldn't even be offered to rape victims. They, usually, aren't in their right minds after being raped. If they're anything like some of the rape victims I know, they just say yes to everything that is asked of them because they feel numb. You don't want to give them an option to do something that can potentially bring a lifetime of guilt.
. . . even if that guilt is the decision to not terminate the pregnancy? Thank you very much . . . but . . . no thanks.

oldhermit

Well, I simply disagree, for me and my particular least-worst-case scenario it has none of the features of a person/child that I recognise, and I don't think it contains a soul or any such thing, for me a child/person at that stage I'm talking about has yet to emerge.
At that early stage I see no great ethical or moral problem with an abortion in a specific case of rape. It can be a reasonable and ethical choice to make imo.

And you make the assumption that a child at this stage of development does not have a soul based on what standard of determination?

Silent Hunter

If they are alive and they are human then abortion is the taking of a human life no mater what the stage of development ergo it is murder.
Nope. Murder is the act of taking a person's life.

Murder of a human — This element presents the issue of when life begins. At common law a fetus was not a human being. Life began when the fetus passed through the birth canal and took its first breath.

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I appreciate and respect your opinion Tambora. Can you respect mine?
Respect???
No, I cannot respect an opinion that says abortion is not murdering a human being.
Because that is exactly the premeditated intent of an abortion.