toldailytopic: What about abortion in cases of rape?

Cruciform

Personhood develops long after birth...
  • More precisely, personality develops post-natally. Personhood, however, is an innate status of individual human life.
  • Personality is what you do, while personhood is what you are.
  • Personality is the external expression of personhood.
The distinction between the two concepts is profound.

Gaudium de veritate,

Cruciform
+T+

MaryContrary

Hall of Fame
  • More precisely, personality develops post-natally. Personhood, however, is an innate status of individual human life.
  • Personality is what you do, while personhood is what you are.
  • Personality is the external expression of personhood.
The distinction between the two concepts is profound.

Gaudium de veritate,

Cruciform
+T+

Excuse me, Cruciform, while I avail myself of this unique opportunity to agree with you on something.

...ahem...

:thumb:

Christ's Word

You could always kill the rapist and let the baby live? Then clown heretic could claim the rapist died to prevent the murder or his unborn child?

Layla

With all due respect, how many times does SH have to say what thinks without you people asking for him to repeat himself?

He hasn't actually said how he defines personhood or why birth is the line... so, I don't think asking him to clarify is unreasonable. I don't want him to repeat himself. I want him to explain.

WizardofOz

With all due respect, how many times does SH have to say what thinks without you people asking for him to repeat himself?

With all due respect, how many times must clarification be requested before it is given?

Further, who really cares what SH thinks anyway? :idunno:

Butterfly

And yet you still wonder why I reject your theology as :kookoo: . . .

That takes my position an extreme I do not subscribe . . . but . . . yes.

. . . and convenient for your idealized version of deity that he/she/it is willing to kill the innocent on a whim.

Silent Hunter you must realize that MaryContrary does not speak for Christians and her theology & knowledge of the Bible is of a 101 grade level. I apologize on behalf of Christians for her lack of ability to respond to Scripture properly and for her poor representation on theological matters like this. She contradicts herself and even when caught with a false Biblical statement, she refuses to budge. Her mind is made up on the matter but sadly it is not based on the Bible.

Butterfly

Agreed. Lights were off, no one was home, and the autopsy confirmed just that. Tragic case, and even worse for how people exploited it.

Correct. The right and the left both exploited this women and this issue. That should have been a medical and Last Will & Testament issue. If I ever end up like she did, my wife knows that in my Will they are to pull the plug. If I can't breathe on my own and my brain is in that condition, time for me to go. Let me die.

When I die I believe I will be in heaven so I don't need to be someones experiment here on earth.

alwight

Personhood develops long after birth by experience of life and babies aren’t too bright? That sounds like you’re saying that personhood develops sometime between infancy and toddlerhood. Is that correct?
It's really no good trying to paint me as someone with intent to kill babies or toddlers :AMR:.
Clearly babies have much to learn about being a person and are very well-equipped to do just that.

This topic is actually about abortion after rape, perhaps you would like to comment on whether aborting a rapist's zygote is always wrong?
I've already said that I think that for me "person-hood" begins during gestation but that there needs to be some kind of functioning nervous system.
Is a zygote a person in your view?
If that were actually true then there would be many millions of awful tragedies happening naturally all the time.

alwight

So, guys.

There's no particular point at which "personhood" happens...it's just definitely not at conception. Or any other point at which it might deny someone justification for an abortion. Anything but that, right?

Is that not exactly the point you folks don't want to admit we stand at here? That personhood begins where abortion ends?

You clearly are determining whether living human beings are persons or not entirely on the issue of abortion, rather than the other way around. It's painfully obvious to everyone here and it's why you work so hard to avoid answering the central question clearly. Because to do so you have to admit this.

:nono:
Apparently then for you there is absolutely no convenient point at which you'd perhaps consider what might actually be best for a fully functioning human woman person, and maybe her spouse and family too, who never wanted to be assaulted and made pregnant by a rapist?
Well, dogma is dogma I suppose. :sigh:

MaryContrary

Hall of Fame
Apparently then for you there is absolutely no convenient point at which you'd perhaps consider what might actually be best for a fully functioning human woman person, and maybe her spouse and family too, who never wanted to be assaulted and made pregnant by a rapist?
Well, dogma is dogma I suppose. :sigh:

Murdering your own child while it's still in your body will never be what's best for a woman, you cretin.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
You could always kill the rapist and let the baby live? Then clown heretic could claim the rapist died to prevent the murder or his unborn child?
Un-merrily you troll along. :plain:

Nothing remotely parallel in your bit of spittle there. But thanks for reminding everyone about your calling those who died defending loved ones in that Denver theater "cowards".

You should put it in your signature line so newbies can understand who what they're dealing with from the start.

Sherman

I identify as a Christian
Staff member
Administrator
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

Just plain trolling. Yes I negged this post and I am encouraging my friends to do the same.

MaryContrary

Hall of Fame
Silent Hunter you must realize that MaryContrary does not speak for Christians and her theology & knowledge of the Bible is of a 101 grade level. I apologize on behalf of Christians for her lack of ability to respond to Scripture properly and for her poor representation on theological matters like this. She contradicts herself and even when caught with a false Biblical statement, she refuses to budge. Her mind is made up on the matter but sadly it is not based on the Bible.

:blabla:

Thanks for contributing to our defense of unborn babies from those who would deny they're even persons. So they can kill them. In their mother's womb. By their mother's hand, rather than their own.

Much appreciated. :plain:

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
MaryContrary does not speak for Christians?????
You apologize on behalf of Christians for her?????

Not this Christian, you don't!!!!
Nor, as you can see, for most all Christians here.

I, and most all Christians here, wholeheartedly agree with MaryC that abortion is killing an infant human being.

As far as this Christian is concerned, you can take your apology for MaryC and choke on it.

surrender

It's really no good trying to paint me as someone with intent to kill babies or toddlers .
I’m not. Why would you say that?

Clearly babies have much to learn about being a person and are very well-equipped to do just that.

This topic is actually about abortion after rape, perhaps you would like to comment on whether aborting a rapist's zygote is always wrong?
It doesn’t belong to the rapist. The rapist is a thief. What’s within the woman doesn’t belong to him.

I've already said that I think that for me "person-hood" begins during gestation but that there needs to be some kind of functioning nervous system.
Doctors make so many mistakes; I certainly wouldn’t trust them to tell me when my baby has (or doesn’t have) a nervous system. “Oops, sorry, ma’am, the little fellow felt me tear apart his limbs after all.”

Is a zygote a person in your view?
It’s a life. Not an animal life, but a human life.

If that were actually true then there would be many millions of awful tragedies happening naturally all the time.
Yes, there are. Lots of tragedies in this ol’ world.