toldailytopic: Should the Boy Scouts be forced to change their anti-gay policy?

bybee

they are a private organization as far as I know, so they can be as bigoted as they want.

On the other hand, parents would like to preserve childhood for as long as possible. Young, prepubertal boys and girls ought not have to be reminded to be "broad-minded" or "multi-gendered" or any accommodations to that which is other than the norm of society in terms of sexuality.
Boy Scouts are not Girl Scouts and vice/versa!
Let the children develop naturally toward their own sexuality.
Certainly, respect for others and good citizenship must be taught but leave out the sex talk. It is mortifying and embarrassing to children.
Quite frankly, when I was a child, I did not want lectures from adults about s-e-x!
And, yes, yes, "stranger danger" and things involving safety must be taught.
Teaching respect for difference is quite different from wallowing in continual bombardments of we must accept them.

PureX

On the other hand, parents would like to preserve childhood for as long as possible. Young, prepubertal boys and girls ought not have to be reminded to be "broad-minded" or "multi-gendered" or any accommodations to that which is other than the norm of society in terms of sexuality.
Boy Scouts are not Girl Scouts and vice/versa!
Let the children develop naturally toward their own sexuality.
Certainly, respect for others and good citizenship must be taught but leave out the sex talk. It is mortifying and embarrassing to children.
Quite frankly, when I was a child, I did not want lectures from adults about s-e-x!
And, yes, yes, "stranger danger" and things involving safety must be taught.
Teaching respect for difference is quite different from wallowing in continual bombardments of we must accept them.
Kids won't even think about this stuff if we just let them be kids. And if we teach them how to respect their fellow humans, when they become old enough for this stuff to matter they'll move through it just fine. But of course parents can't teach what they themselves have never learned. So I feel bad for the kids.

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
Kids won't even think about this stuff if we just let them be kids. And if we teach them how to respect their fellow humans, when they become old enough for this stuff to matter they'll move through it just fine. But of course parents can't teach what they themselves have never learned. So I feel bad for the kids.

Then why not start a faithless all inclusive scout group of your own?

bybee

Then why not start a faithless all inclusive scout group of your own?

I love this post! :cheers::first:

I've been thinking of attending an Atheists meeting and jumping up and shouting "Thank you Jesus!" or "Amen Sister!" or "Hallelujah Brother!" and insisting on my right to freedom of speech too!

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
I was a life scout and I'm in OA. I don't much care what they do about it. The history of scouting has been the history of the organization keeping up with the society and adjusting to its needs. It's why scouting lasted so long.

Can they make themselves relevant today? I'd argue that they mostly are. Hopefully, they don't take sides in the culture wars and get sidelined for political reasons.

Granite

Hall of Fame
I love this post! :cheers::first:

I've been thinking of attending an Atheists meeting and jumping up and shouting "Thank you Jesus!" or "Amen Sister!" or "Hallelujah Brother!" and insisting on my right to freedom of speech too!

If you find one let me know about it.:yawn:

bybee

Well I rest my case. An "Atheist's Meeting" would be hosted right next to the "Unicorn Training Academy.":help:

I believe that large tub of rabid atheistic rhetoric Madelyn Murray O'Hare held meetings and rallys? Hmmmmmmm?

Granite

Hall of Fame
I believe that large tub of rabid atheistic rhetoric Madelyn Murray O'Hare held meetings and rallys? Hmmmmmmm?

Oh, charming. A catty, pointless, snarky remark about a murder victim. You're a class act this morning.

keypurr

My grandson goes for his Eagle this year. Scouts is great for kids. They are a great private organization. They should be able to screen their applicants.

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
Oh, charming. A catty, pointless, snarky remark about a murder victim. You're a class act this morning.

It was another atheist who murdered her and they were all theives. Thats a class act isn't it.

Whats real class though is that the son she ranted about having to be exposed to Christianity so much that she stopped prayer in school, became a pastor. (applause)

Nothing like irony.