toldailytopic: Should the Boy Scouts be forced to change their anti-gay policy?

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for May 31st, 2012 08:13 AM

toldailytopic: Should the Boy Scouts be forced to change their anti-gay policy?

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Eagle Scout Challenges Boy Scouts' Anti-Gay Policy With Petition

Eagle Scout Zach Wahls challenged the Boy Scouts of America's anti-gay policy today when he delivered three boxes of petitions demanding change, signed by more than 275,000 people.

Wahls, 20, presented the petitions during the Boy Scouts' National Annual Meeting in Orlando, Fla., on behalf of Jennifer Tyrrell, an Ohio mom who was removed as the den leader of her 7-year-old son's Cub Scout troop in April because of her sexual orientation. The Boy Scouts are the parent organization of the Cub Scouts.

Wahls is the author of "My Two Moms" and a video of his three-minute speech before Iowa legislators urging them not to pass a constitutional amendment that would ban gay marriage and civil unions went viral in February.

The Change.org petition called for Tyrrell's reinstatement and a change in policy for the organization.
"It is time for the Boy Scouts of America to reconsider its policy of exclusivity against gay youth and leaders," the petition reads. "Please sign this petition to call for an end of discrimination in an organization that is shaping the future."

The petition has garnered support from celebrities including Ellen DeGeneres, Julianne Moore, Ricky Martin, Jesse Tyler Ferguson and "Hunger Games" star Josh Hutcherson among others.

FULL STORY

Zeus

BANNED
Banned
Yes, at gun point. Let in homos and atheists and girls. And embrace diversity and antigun laws.

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
many here who support the current boy scout policy will vote third party, which will help elect democrats who don't

aCultureWarrior

BANNED
Banned
LIFETIME MEMBER
many here who support the current boy scout policy will vote third party, which will help elect democrats who don't

It appears that chrysostom has finally come out, and is "proud" of his leader's past actions.

"In his 2008 book On My Honor, Perry suggested that Romney’s decision to bar the Scouts from serving as official volunteers [for the Salt Lake City Olympics] was based on the fact that the organization doesn’t allow gay troop masters. But Romney has insisted that he barred the Scouts from serving as volunteers simply because they didn’t meet the minimum age requirement of 18."
http://www.dallasvoice.com/perry-accused-romney-barring-boy-scouts-olympics-ban-gays-1087670.html

Granite

Hall of Fame
I believe the Scouts are a 501(c)3 organization, so, no, I'd oppose outright forcing them to amend their policies. They can do as they please--it'd be a different situation if they were a public institution, receiving tax dollars. They're tax exempt, non-profit, and a private group. Forcing them to change policy would be inappropriate.

Zeus

BANNED
Banned
Come on Zeus, you know your community's motto:

"Get em at 8 (years old) or you're too late."

No it's: "Get him* at 8 (PM) or you're too late ( and will have to settle for sloppy seconds). The Rule of thumb for getting some.

* Of age male hottie.

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Regardless of whether or not I agree with this policy personally (which I don't), I don't care to see any organization forced to change their policy in order to cater to a select few.

IMO, those big names who oppose this organization would be better off to put their money where their mouths are and actually sponsor a new and separate organization that would honor and advocate an open door policy to all religions, sexual orientations, genders and races, etc ...

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Yes, at gun point. Let in homos and atheists and girls. And embrace diversity and antigun laws.

You want to teach anti-gun laws (which I am vehemently opposed to) at gun point? :think:

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I believe the Scouts are a 501(c)3 organization, so, no, I'd oppose outright forcing them to amend their policies. They can do as they please--it'd be a different situation if they were a public institution, receiving tax dollars. They're tax exempt, non-profit, and a private group. Forcing them to change policy would be inappropriate.

And this ...

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
IMO, those big names who oppose this organization would be better off to put their money where their mouths are and actually sponsor a new and separate organization that would honor and advocate an open door policy to all religions, sexual orientations, genders and races, etc ...
Well.... they would have to exclude folks who think homosexuality is a perverted and disgusting behavior.

And then 10 years down the line some fundamentalist kid would collect a bunch of petition signatures and try to force them to tolerate those that oppose homosexuality.

Iconoclast

The homo agenda isn't about tolerance it is about conformity. You will conform to their thinking or else.

A large group of people who all have the same social/psychological/sexual disorder get together to force society to think like they do, so that they don't have to change. That is the "Gay Agenda" in a nutshell...

Like the borg resistance is futile.

Granite

Hall of Fame
Well.... they would have to exclude folks who think homosexuality is a perverted and disgusting behavior.

And then 10 years down the line some fundamentalist kid would collect a bunch of petition signatures and try to force them to tolerate those that oppose homosexuality.

I've never understood why some people want to join a club that doesn't want them as a member.

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

Well, that goes hand in hand with playing politics. In the above situation, it would be up to them to explain why their policies shouldn't be subject to anti-discrimination laws.