toldailytopic: Psychic readings: Scam? Something worse? Or do some people actually ha

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quincy

I don't believe in the Silvia Browns of the world, but I do believe people can have some form of limited foresight or remote viewing. A friend of mine I made while living in Canada emailed me once to tell me about some things she "saw" in the woods around my house here in the US. Very specific things and I doubted her big time. But I thought I'd go look and prove her wrong instead of being rude. So I grabbed my shotgun and went on a hike to where she said to go. The items were there. :plain: Don't ask me the how or why though, I don't know.

Last edited:

Granite

Hall of Fame
So you're an atheist who believes in lingering spirits? Sweet.

The two ideas aren't mutually exclusive. But yes, I'm convinced now that there is some form of an afterlife.

As for "psychics" in the popular sense: the John Edwards of the world deserve a slow and painful death for the fraud they perpetuate. But that's not precisely what I'm talking about, and the woman I mentioned earlier doesn't call herself a psychic, make her ability known except to very close friends, and doesn't charge a dime. She doesn't, in other words, hang a shingle and try to make a buck. She picks up on things and communicates with individuals who are deceased. But this is me we're talking about, and there isn't a shred of fraud about any of this. It simply...is.

Tyrathca

Many claimed psychics actually believe they have the powers they profess, though those that get paid for their services are less likely to be such. I recall watching a doco where water dowsers were asked to test their skills in a double blind experiment, many seemed to attempt it in good faith and I recall one who was genuinely shocked at her failure (and many others that tried to justify their failure). Often it seems the first person that needs to be deceived is yourself and with confirmation bias and positive reinforcement from participants it's not difficult to see people thinking they really do have powers. Even if it really is just cold reading (or unwittingly inferred from relevant memories).

Non-Excluvistic

BANNED
Banned
That is for the kingdom, not the Body. You are wrong, as ususal. Here is what he tells the Body of Christ.

2 Corinthians 12:7-10

7To keep me from becoming conceited because of these surpassingly great revelations, there was given me a thorn in my flesh, a messenger of Satan, to torment me. 8Three times I pleaded with the Lord to take it away from me. 9But he said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness." Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ's power may rest on me. 10That is why, for Christ's sake, I delight in weaknesses, in insults, in hardships, in persecutions, in difficulties. For when I am weak, then I am strong.

What is it like going through life knowing that everything you say is actually wrong?

Jesus didn't have anything to do with Corinthians, nor is he quoted in what you posted, so stuff that back where you pulled it from.

Actually Jesus (pbuh) said that anyone with faith as he had could do all things and nothing would be impossible. I highlighted the parts which obviously tell you that he meant that the pure in faith can do miraculous things NOW. He asked the disciples why couldn't they bring the demon out, and then told them that they could do all wonders if they believed more. It was an example of what all believers can do if they believed more.

Matt 17:14-21-17-And when they had come to the multitude, a man came to Him, kneeling down to Him and saying, 15 “Lord, have mercy on my son, for he is an epileptic[c] and suffers severely; for he often falls into the fire and often into the water. 16 So I brought him to Your disciples, but they could not cure him.” 17 Then Jesus answered and said, “O faithless and perverse generation, how long shall I be with you? How long shall I bear with you? Bring him here to Me.” 18 And Jesus rebuked the demon, and it came out of him; and the child was cured from that very hour.
19 Then the disciples came to Jesus privately and said, “Why could we not cast it out?”
20 So Jesus said to them, “Because of your unbelief;[d] for assuredly, I say to you, if you have faith as a mustard seed, you will say to this mountain, ‘Move from here to there,’ and it will move; and nothing will be impossible for you. 21 However, this kind does not go out except by prayer and fasting.”[e]

You're wrong, he clearly says that you can do miraculous things if you had the faith NOW..

BTW, you can neg rep me all you want, I have had 4 and 3 are from you, so go figure. You can always tell the character of a person by the scriptures he quotes. i like the hateful Verse from Titus you use in your sig; it really fits your personality. Why don't you quote the rest of it?

Memento Mori

My Psych teacher went to a psychic once. Apparently she has a child she doesn't know about...

Psychics like to play off of how a person reacts to what they say. Therefore, a stolid face can receive some awkward futures.

One Eyed Jack

My cousin is a psychic. Says he talks to angels. He's gay too. He's also my favorite cousin, and one of the few people in my family for whom I feel genuine affection.

Anyway, most psychics are scammers. Some practice magic (whatever they happen to call it).

Thunder's Muse

A friend I know very well did some work for a phone/text psychic service. The boss told her "Just tell them what they want to hear, so they keep coming back".

My friend quit.

icilian fenner

I don't think it really works, whether or not the person dispensing the readings genuinely believes it does. It'd be fascinating if it were real, but its hard to find a more convincing explanation for the lack of performance under controlled conditions. Humans have a well documented ability to go in for wishful thinking in many ways, and this just seems to be another manifestation of that.

Granite

Hall of Fame
My cousin is a psychic. Says he talks to angels. He's gay too. He's also my favorite cousin, and one of the few people in my family for whom I feel genuine affection.

Anyway, most psychics are scammers. Some practice magic (whatever they happen to call it).

He probably talks to something, sure. Not sure what his being gay has to do with anything...

(Why does that make me think of a line from Bulworth: "I don't think you can get AIDS by burning your house down, but I take your point.")

rainee

I really don't know.

The one person I've ever met who possesses talents one would describe as "psychic" speculates it make be hereditary, but she's just as baffled as to the source of her ability as anyone.

According to her, for those who have died some people are simply more visible, or approachable, and she happens to be one of them.

Sir,
You and others like this are why we have Easter Eggs. :shocked:

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
Psychic readings, give me a beak! :sigh: This is just modern hillbilly thinking. It's just baloney and a way to make a sucker out of someone looking for answers. It is a peccadillo, unless one gets serous and make this an other New Age concepts, take the place of Christ in ones life. Whatever takes you from Christ is spiritual loss.

rainee

I thought they were for making egg salad/deviled eggs later.

:noid:

Oh well that's true - and a very good reason for Easter Eggs!
:chew:

Perhaps I stand corrected?

They actually do not have a connection to fertility?

So having a sensitive brain, or a quiet brain, or an inherited brain would not make you able to talk to dead people that must simply be
just hanging around?

Granite

Hall of Fame
Oh well that's true - and a very good reason for Easter Eggs!
:chew:

Perhaps I stand corrected?

They actually do not have a connection to fertility?

So having a sensitive brain, or a quiet brain, or an inherited brain would not make you able to talk to dead people that must simply be
just hanging around?

Again, I don't know what exactly causes it, and neither does she.

rainee

Psychic readings, give me a beak! :sigh: This is just modern hillbilly thinking. It's just baloney and a way to make a sucker out of someone looking for answers. It is a peccadillo, unless one gets serous and make this an other New Age concepts, take the place of Christ in ones life. Whatever takes you from Christ is spiritual loss.

Right On

rainee

Oops!
Ktoyou, do you have to use big words?

Just looked up peccadillo

:sigh:

This idea complicates everything when you put a value like between 1 and ten on it.... :juggle:

Status
Not open for further replies.