toldailytopic: It is what it is. Sayings and phrases that drive you crazy.

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
The one that bothers me most right now is due to the improper use of tense, when my coworkers are referring to running a credit card number; "This needs ran."

It wouldn't be an issue if only one of them did it, but most of them do it. And they've all graduated high school, or have gotten their GEDs. Some of them have even had some college, or have gotten their diplomas. That's what makes it most frustrating.

You're a racist (spoken to any conservative winning an argument with a liberal)
I like pointing out when liberals are being racist; because they do it a lot.

Somehow EVERYTHING is "epic," from your favorite dish to pictures taken by Hubble.
Those pictures are epic, though. The whole idea and scope of space is.

This is probably not exactly what you meant by the topic, but my daughter has lately started using the phrase, "You can't MAKE me do that."

I hate this. It puts you in a dilemma. I would never do anything to physically hurt my children, but what I say is THE LAW for now. They are not old enough to make certain choices.

My daughter is 10, going on 18.

:sigh:

It's going to be a long decade...
:chuckle:

I've often wondered what would be the best retort if and when I have children and they smart off to me.

Maybe the old Cosby standby: "I brought you into this world and I can take you out." You don't actually have to do anything, but they don't need to know you won't.;)

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
To be honest, I'm so over the "cliches" and worn out phrases I can't tell you. You know what I mean? I swear, if one more person says, " I think I just threw up a little in my mouth", by way of example, I'm going to lose it. I mean, aren't you tired of the same ol same ol 24/7?

Well, I can tell you, personally I'm avoiding them like the plague. Cause life is too short to get caught up in all that drama. That's my two cents anyhow. Maybe you could care less, but I hope they're all on their way out.

For real? Surreal.

Dena

This is probably not exactly what you meant by the topic, but my daughter has lately started using the phrase, "You can't MAKE me do that."

I hate this. It puts you in a dilemma. I would never do anything to physically hurt my children, but what I say is THE LAW for now. They are not old enough to make certain choices.

My daughter is 10, going on 18.

:sigh:

It's going to be a long decade...

Oh but think of how strong she'll be when she needs to stand up for herself!!

Maybe they'll get you through the next 50 years (we daughters don't quit irritating our fathers just because we're adults ;)).

Buzzword

To be honest, I'm so over the "cliches" and worn out phrases I can't tell you. You know what I mean? I swear, if one more person says, " I think I just threw up a little in my mouth", by way of example, I'm going to lose it. I mean, aren't you tired of the same ol same ol 24/7?

Well, I can tell you, personally I'm avoiding them like the plague. Cause life is too short to get caught up in all that drama. That's my two cents anyhow. Maybe you could care less, but I hope they're all on their way out.

For real? Surreal.

Mind. Blown.

See what I did there?

(that awkward moment when...you realize the vast majority of your daily speech is made of cliches and colloquialisms)

Ask Mr. Religion

☞☞☞☞Presbyterian (PCA) &#9
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

For real? Surreal.
Awesome! :AMR:

Dena

Jefferson;331490 [/quote said:
Everything happens for a reason.

This drives me crazy! I always want to follow it with "and the reason here is that you are an idiot".

I very much dislike the use of "veggies" and "pjs". If you aren't two years old you eat vegetables and you wear pajamas.

Vaquero45

Hall of Fame
"Awesome!"...as when the waiter takes my order for some mundane food.

Society has long since lost what the word means as it continues to drive the God who should strike us all with awe out of every nook and cranny of life.

AMR

Ha! that's a good one.

"know what I'm sayin' " makes me want to slap people, and throwing in "like" randomly gets the same reaction.

Vaquero45

Hall of Fame
If you hate that one try "Your Not The Boss Of Me" that one will send you into orbit...:chuckle:
:)
I used to tell my daughter "I am the the boss of the whole world." and she would say "No, God is." and I would say, "It goes God, then me, as far as you are concerned.".

Sherman

I identify as a Christian
Staff member
Administrator
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for January 3rd, 2013 09:27 AM

Interspersing useless words in a sentence. Example: " The cat climbed up, like, the tree, like, and it mewed, like, and would come down, like...." Aaargh! Take your brain into the shop and get a tune up woman! I dislike childish talk, baby talk, abuse of punctuation and all caps. Dumb phrases? Well I mock them. It's what makes TOL fun.

IMJerusha

The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for January 3rd, 2013 09:27 AM

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

Top of the list is..."Yes, dear!"
Next: "Just sayin'..."

zoo22

A misused "literally".

My head literally explodes when I hear it.

I read it here at TOL all the time. Literally.

Also, it's not a phrase, but people misspelling "lose" as "loose". That literally drives me up the wall.

Sherman

I identify as a Christian
Staff member
Administrator
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Another dumb thing posters do--reply to a post as follows:

Word!