toldailytopic: Is getting a divorce immoral?

ebenz47037

Proverbs 31:10
Silver Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

I don't think that divorce is necessarily immoral. I think that there are valid reasons for people to get divorced (infidelity, abuse of spouse and/or children, abandonment which includes drug and/or alcohol addictions, leaving the spouse and children, and going to prison). I think one of the biggest mistakes this country made (as a whole) was to allow "no-fault" divorce. That gave people a way to give up on their marriages without trying to work out whatever problems they may have. But, people get married for stupid reasons anyway. They think that being in love is enough to keep the marriage strong without thinking about other reasons there could be to either not marry or to marry. People also make the huge mistake of marrying someone that their parents do not like. I know too many people who end up divorcing because of problems caused by the in-laws back-biting to the spouse.

WandererInFog

Divorce is allowed whenever one of the spouses takes an action that breaks the marriage covenant. Infidelity, abuse, and abandonment jump to mind immediately, but we have to resist the temptation to make a neat little list like that a declare those and only those are allowed to avoid falling into all sorts of weird legalisms.

Two quick examples to make that point:

First we have a woman whose husband has decided he wishes to leave her and marry another woman. To avoid having to seek a divorce, he simply drained the brake fluid from her car. While it did cause her to have an accident in which she actually managed to avoid even being injured, his plan failed. Following this she sought to divorce him only to be told by the leaders of her church that seeking a divorce under such circumstances was immoral because her husband hadn't actually committed adultery.

Similary, I've read the story of a woman who caught her husband attempting to molest their daughter and physically prevented. Again, this woman was told by her church that seeking a divorce would be immoral because her husband hadn't been successful in his attempt and therefore hadn't technically committed adultery.

So again, it's a matter of actions that breaks the marriage covenant as those actions plainly would.

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Just for the sake of argument:

Can anybody find a valid reason as to why a woman been beaten (not once but several times) by her husband to an extent to be sent to the hospital (not once, but several times) should not file for a divorce?

Can anybody find a valid reason for not divorcing a husband throwing acid at a wife's face and disfiguring her, and blinding her because of it?

Can anybody find a valid reason for not divorcing a husband that the wife knows is violating his own daughter(s) and also his only son?

I cannot find a valid reason for not divorcing in the examples above or many others that could be provided. IT WOULD BE IMMORAL NOT TO DIVORCE in these cases.

Agree.

Actually, I believe he should be put to death. And then that "till death do us part" is taken care of.

:thumb:

ebenz47037

Proverbs 31:10
Silver Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Divorce is allowed whenever one of the spouses takes an action that breaks the marriage covenant. Infidelity, abuse, and abandonment jump to mind immediately, but we have to resist the temptation to make a neat little list like that a declare those and only those are allowed to avoid falling into all sorts of weird legalisms.

Two quick examples to make that point:

First we have a woman whose husband has decided he wishes to leave her and marry another woman. To avoid having to seek a divorce, he simply drained the brake fluid from her car. While it did cause her to have an accident in which she actually managed to avoid even being injured, his plan failed. Following this she sought to divorce him only to be told by the leaders of her church that seeking a divorce under such circumstances was immoral because her husband hadn't actually committed adultery.

Similary, I've read the story of a woman who caught her husband attempting to molest their daughter and physically prevented. Again, this woman was told by her church that seeking a divorce would be immoral because her husband hadn't been successful in his attempt and therefore hadn't technically committed adultery.

So again, it's a matter of actions that breaks the marriage covenant as those actions plainly would.

Now, I would consider both those incidents not only reason for divorce but reason for the death penalty.

genuineoriginal

I don't think God was being immoral when He got a divorce.

Jeremiah 3:8
8 And I saw, when for all the causes whereby backsliding Israel committed adultery I had put her away, and given her a bill of divorce; yet her treacherous sister Judah feared not, but went and played the harlot also.​

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
Immoral? I read the statement of Jesus in Mathew 19 as saying it is against the will of God. Therefore it is sin. Also I do not find anything in the Bible that speaks to a woman "putting away her husband". Divorce in the Bible is always solely something a husband did. I would support legislation making marriage between a man and woman an irrevocable act.

Then in your opinion, a woman who is beaten, abused, neglected and terrorized whose husband also serial cheats, should just put up with it up since she married him?

Eeset

LIFETIME MEMBER
Then in your opinion, a woman who is beaten, abused, neglected and terrorized whose husband also serial cheats, should just put up with it up since she married him?
There are civil laws which would put such a man behind bars where he belongs.

ThePresbyteers

...toldailytopic: Is getting a divorce immoral?....

Can I remarry if my spouse divorces me and marries another?

I think John Piper is right when he said, "No" at click here

I was wondering if I should tell my divorced relatives that I agree with Piper.
Should I? Just bout everyone in my families are divorced and remarried except me and wondering if they will turn enemies if I said something like Piper.

10.jpg

oatmeal

Yes, but "going to God" needs to be more than reading the Bible or obeying preachers. It also needs to be contacting God directly in our hearts and higher minds and listening to the guidance that comes.
:idea:

Ya think?

Does scripture teach going to God in prayer?

Does scripture teach the proper arrangement of the husband and wife in relation to God and each other?

Does scripture teach forgiveness, longsuffering, forbearance, humility, meekness, gentleness, kindness, the love that never fails, just for starters?

Unless you read scriptures, how do you know what you can pray for and not pray for?

oatmeal

Eeset

LIFETIME MEMBER

Should I? Just bout everyone in my families are divorced and remarried except me and wondering if they will turn enemies if I said something like Piper.

I think they would accept it if you did not use it as a way to condemn others but simply as a statement of your own understanding.