toldailytopic: Is getting a divorce immoral?

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
What if a spouse is abusive? What if a spouse puts their hands around the throat of your fourteen year old?

And I'm not talking about self defense.

highlife

Just to be clear, are you, a *professed* Christian, making excuses for adultery?

No, im just not an iron fisted legalist. I believe that a wife being a prude is equivalent to a husband who physically beats his wife. Therefore him divorcing her over it is valid. The bible states not to defraud AND a woman who behaves in that manner has profound effects on her husband.

I believe in the totality of mathew 19 of which includes not being able to accept that teaching. Maybe at the end of the day I will meet Jesus and he will tell me that I was wrong but a wife being a prude is incredibly abusive and logically I cant see why it would not be a reason for divorce.

serpentdove

BANNED
Banned
So what is the right solution for thoes that dont want to live with a prude or remain celibate?
The husband should treat his wife better than himself and the wife should treat her husband better than herself.

When you harm your spouse, you only harm yourself (Mt 19:6; Ro 7:2,3; 1 Co 7:39). It's like that tormenting from your big brother, "Why are you hittin' yourself? Why are you hittin' yourself?" :eek:

Last edited:

highlife

The husband should treat his wife better than himself and the wife should treat her husband better than herself.

When you harm your spouse, you only harm yourself (Mt 19:6; Ro 7:2,3; 1 Co 7:39). It's like that tormenting from your big brother, "Why are you hittin' yourself? Why are you hittin' yourself?" :eek:

Except your spouse is another person. So why would you stay with another person who is abusing you. Your logic is not sound.

serpentdove

BANNED
Banned
Except your spouse is another person. So why would you stay with another person who is abusing you. Your logic is not sound.
I was responding to this post. I am not speaking about physical abuse.

People naturally treat themselves well. Begin treating your spouse better than yourself and see how that works out.

Last edited:

highlife

I was responding to this post. I am not speaking about physical abuse.

People naturally treat themselves well. Begin treating your spouse better than yourself and see how that works out.

It dident but its working very well now with my new wife and I did not have all the wasted time the church would have me waste.

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
No, im just not an iron fisted legalist. I believe that a wife being a prude is equivalent to a husband who physically beats his wife.

There is absolutely no comparison. It would be extremely likely that the wife is behaving as a prude due to physical abuse.

Therefore him divorcing her over it is valid. The bible states not to defraud AND a woman who behaves in that manner has profound effects on her husband.

Except there would normally be underlying issues at play for a wife/husband to respond in such a way.

I believe in the totality of mathew 19 of which includes not being able to accept that teaching. Maybe at the end of the day I will meet Jesus and he will tell me that I was wrong but a wife being a prude is incredibly abusive and logically I cant see why it would not be a reason for divorce.

Comparing not getting sex from a spouse 24/7 to actual physical abuse demeans and belittles all abuse victims.

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
Although you are clearly being sarcastic and rude with the age you put in there, that is actually a correct statement now that I think about it. It makes life alot better.
TSF was right about one thing; you are a lowlife.