toldailytopic: If guns became illegal to own, would you comply?

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for April 19th, 2012 08:32 AM

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

One In Christ

Comply? yes
Leave the country? yes

Bad guys who like guns will not comply. Guns will be in the wrong hands, and none in the right...

bybee

The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for April 19th, 2012 08:32 AM

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

You know, Big Bother may be watching this so, I don't think I want to reply!

TomO

Get used to it.
Hall of Fame
I would. :plain:

....And there is no way I'd have an AK47 with 1200 rounds of ammo buried in a 6"X4' length of capped PVC pipe buried next to the water line. :nono:

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
I think this is one of those issues that might actually cause a civil war in this country (if the government tried to confiscate all guns).

Or... would the people just lay down and let it happen thinking "oh... it's not that big of a deal"?

:think:

Sherman

I identify as a Christian
Staff member
Administrator
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
It would be difficult to say. Confiscating all weapons would spell disaster for America. It is one of the harbingers of a dictatorship. Germany disarmed its citizens around World War II and you see what it did one one segment of its population--the Jews. Taking guns away from law abiding citizens is a recipe for disaster.

Granite

Hall of Fame
I think this is one of those issues that might actually cause a civil war in this country (if the government tried to confiscate all guns).

Or... would the people just lay down and let it happen thinking "oh... it's not that big of a deal"?

:think:

Absolutely not. Gun ownership is too engrained in this country, probably more so than any other in the world, for people just to meekly hand over their weapons. Some would. The vast majority wouldn't even consider it.

Plus, if it was a matter of authorities going to house to house, well...I'd say after about a week there'd be very few takers for that job. Enforcement would be simply impossible.

vegascowboy

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
It would be difficult to say. Confiscating all weapons would spell disaster for America. It is one of the harbingers of a dictatorship. Germany disharmed its citizens around World War II and you see what it did one one segment of its population--the Jews. Taking guns awy for law abiding citizens is a recipe for disaster.

How true.

Without exception, every major, horrific, dictatorial leader has made the confiscation of citizens' weapons one of their first priorities. Tyrants know that they can only push their agendas if the people cannot defend themselves and their rights.

Granite

Hall of Fame
How true.

Without exception, every major, horrific, dictatorial leader has made the confiscation of citizens' weapons one of their first priorities. Tyrants know that they can only push their agendas if the people cannot defend themselves and their rights.

In the old days I'd agree with you here. However totalitarianism has gotten increasingly sophisticated (I'd argue we're already a police state in everything but name) and it's not necessary to do it like the old days. It's subtler. What's worse: having a government outright disarm you, or having a government so deeply entrenched, so powerful and corrupt, that it doesn't need to even bother? Let the serfs keep their guns--they don't pose a real threat.

:angrymob:

fool

Hall of Fame
I would. :plain:

....And there is no way I'd have an AK47 with 1200 rounds of ammo buried in a 6"X4' length of capped PVC pipe buried next to the water line. :nono:

That's a great example of things I don't have any where around here.
Nope.
Nothing like that.
I use 8".