toldailytopic: How should the USA respond to the attacks on it's Embassies and Consul

PureX

Dear friend, I am in the U.S. Army, I know for a fact that investigations do in fact occur in Afghanistan and have occurred in Iraq. They may not have fancy CSI level equipment but there is nothing impossible about conducting an investigation in a 3rd world country. They may rely more on eye-witnesses, and circumstantial evidence but they are investigations nevertheless. The CIA has conducted investigations in foreign countries. You say it is implausible but it is nevertheless true. The news is not an accurate picture of what happens down range.
Most nations, however, would never allow foreign investigations to take place on their soil. And neither would ours. I suspect that the few that have been more or less forced to allow us to do this, resent us for it.

I personally think that had we respected the sovereignty of other nations more to begin with, we wouldn't have the need to be investigating these kinds of incidents, now. It's very hard to let go of that desire for vengeance, but often it is the wiser recourse.

Daedalean's_Sun

Most nations, however, would never allow foreign investigations to take place on their soil. And neither would ours. I suspect that the few that have been more or less forced to allow us to do this, resent us for it.

I personally think that had we respected the sovereignty of other nations more to begin with, we wouldn't have the need to be investigating these kinds of incidents, now. It's very hard to let go of that desire for vengeance, but often it is the wiser recourse.

After having aided in the removal of Gaddafi, I would very much think Libyans would allows Americans to conduct an investigation of our dead Ambassador.

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
The Libyan government, using information given by citizens who observed the attack, has already rounded up some of the terrorists:

About 50 people have been arrested over the killing of US ambassador Chris Stevens in an attack the Libyan government says was planned by foreigners.

US Defence Secretary Leon Panetta said, meanwhile, the American military has no major plans to bolster its forces in the Middle East despite a week of violent protests targeting diplomatic outposts, including at the US consulate in Libya's eastern city of Benghazi in which Stevens died.

'The number reached about 50,' Mohammed al-Megaryef, president of the Libyan National Congress, told CBS News on Sunday.

Stevens and three other Americans were killed on Tuesday when suspected Islamic militants fired on the US consulate in Benghazi with rocket-propelled grenades and set it ablaze.

Megaryef said 'a few' of those who joined in the attack were foreigners, who had entered Libya 'from different directions, some of them definitely from Mali and Algeria'.

'The others are affiliates and maybe sympathisers,' he added.

Megaryef said the government had learned the attack was not the result of a spontaneous outburst of anger over a US-made anti-Islam movie, which has triggered sometimes deadly protests around the world.

'It was planned, definitely, it was planned by foreigners, by people who entered the country a few months ago. And they were planning this criminal act since their arrival,' he told CBS.

http://www.skynews.com.au/topstories/article.aspx?id=795936

fool

Hall of Fame
The Libyan government, using information given by citizens who observed the attack, has already rounded up some of the terrorists:

About 50 people have been arrested over the killing of US ambassador Chris Stevens in an attack the Libyan government says was planned by foreigners.

US Defence Secretary Leon Panetta said, meanwhile, the American military has no major plans to bolster its forces in the Middle East despite a week of violent protests targeting diplomatic outposts, including at the US consulate in Libya's eastern city of Benghazi in which Stevens died.

'The number reached about 50,' Mohammed al-Megaryef, president of the Libyan National Congress, told CBS News on Sunday.

Stevens and three other Americans were killed on Tuesday when suspected Islamic militants fired on the US consulate in Benghazi with rocket-propelled grenades and set it ablaze.

Megaryef said 'a few' of those who joined in the attack were foreigners, who had entered Libya 'from different directions, some of them definitely from Mali and Algeria'.

'The others are affiliates and maybe sympathisers,' he added.

Megaryef said the government had learned the attack was not the result of a spontaneous outburst of anger over a US-made anti-Islam movie, which has triggered sometimes deadly protests around the world.

'It was planned, definitely, it was planned by foreigners, by people who entered the country a few months ago. And they were planning this criminal act since their arrival,' he told CBS.

http://www.skynews.com.au/topstories/article.aspx?id=795936

The Libya thing was a "Job", no doubt.
But, there are other attacks as well and I think the grater question is how do we plan our lives when any 16 year old with an iphone can post a movie trailer and get a couple thousand people around the world so het up they start throwing rocks and such?
Talk about a Trolls Paradise.

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
The Libya thing was a "Job", no doubt.
But, there are other attacks as well and I think the grater question is how do we plan our lives when any 16 year old with an iphone can post a movie trailer and get a couple thousand people around the world so het up they start throwing rocks and such?
Talk about a Trolls Paradise.

Do you think that all that was really caused by that movie trailer?

I think that movie trailer was planned by muslims, to have an excuse and there is no cooincidence whatever that it started on 9/11 and is happening throughout rosh hashanna.

Daedalean's_Sun

I think that movie trailer was planned by muslims, to have an excuse and there is no cooincidence whatever that it started on 9/11 and is happening throughout rosh hashanna.

Considering the cartoon of Muhammad fiasco, it wouldn't surprise me. I think the more important question is are we going to let other people's fears and irrationality limit our freedom of speech. Freedom of speech is the wellspring of all other freedoms, and I will not jeopardize that by appeasing to irrational overreactions.

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
Considering the cartoon of Muhammad fiasco, it wouldn't surprise me. I think the more important question is are we going to let other people's fears and irrationality limit our freedom of speech. Freedom of speech is the wellspring of all other freedoms, and I will not jeopardize that by appeasing to irrational overreactions.

Well said, i agree with you :thumb:

fool

Hall of Fame

So, same question then.
How are we suposed to plan our lives when a few Muslims can post a fake movie trailer and get a couple thousand Muslims on the other side of the planet so het up they are throwing rocks and stuff?

Christ's Word

On their part. Obama merely gave the military the go-ahead to handle it as they saw best. Same thing with getting Osama. There's plenty to criticize the president for, but he's got the right idea in using military power.

Let the professionals do their job.

That is why most of the S.E.A.L.'s can't stand Obama. What planet are you on?

The really sad part is that most of the morons posting here actually believe the video caused the uprisings! My Lord are you people stupid.

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
So, same question then.
How are we suposed to plan our lives when a few Muslims can post a fake movie trailer and get a couple thousand Muslims on the other side of the planet so het up they are throwing rocks and stuff?

Stay out of their countries (remove our embassies and have americans traveling there at their own risk and refuse aid and let them have their country as they please since they hate us anyway - thats what i think anyway.

So do you really believe that movie trailer caused all that, and that it starting on 9/11 was a coincidence? I didnt seem to find your answer there....

lightbringer

TOL Subscriber
On their part. Obama merely gave the military the go-ahead to handle it as they saw best. Same thing with getting Osama. There's plenty to criticize the president for, but he's got the right idea in using military power.

The really sad part is that most of the morons posting here actually believe the video caused the uprisings! My Lord are you people stupid.

? Is this a complete attitude change? A miss-reading on your part? Or a combination of both since you just like to be argumentative?

In the above, the Barbarian is saying that the President gave the SEAL's the go ahead to take care of business in the way the SEAL's thought would be best? You are saying that the SEAL's don't like Obama due to ? What ? He gave them too much operational control in an assignment? I thought you liked the SEAL's.

The second part of your reply is nothing more than you taking advantage of an opportunity to call people moron and stupid, just your normal angry self.

lightbringer

TOL Subscriber

Correction....a Coptic Christian did the deed.

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
Barbarian observes:

They can't stand him because he defers to the military on military questions? On planet Earth, that's a good thing. BTW, most seals are enlisted men. Obama carried the enlisted vote last time around. The values of servicemen are pretty much the values of Americans.

On Earth, that is. How did he do on your planet?

Daedalean's_Sun

Some would, and some would not. Keep in mind there were two sides of that coup.

Mostly between Gaddafi's ancestral tribe, and all other Libyans. Considering the latter won the conflict and now have control of the country I see no reason they would not allow an American-led investigation of our own dead ambassador, who seems to be well respected by most Libyans.

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
Correction....a Coptic Christian did the deed.

Correction, the guy was pretending in order to get actors to make the film, there was an interview all about it on CNN.

They even showed the scripts, the 2 egyptian immigrants (one a felon for fraud and identity theft) later had the acting dubbed to add muhammed, which was NEVER in the original script.

The whole thing was a fraud.

PureX

A new development!

"BENGHAZI, Libya — Galvanized by anger over the killing of the popular American ambassador here last week, thousands of Libyans marched through this city on Friday, demanding the disarming of the militias that helped topple the dictatorship but have troubled the country with their refusal to disband."

from the New York Times

bybee

A new development!

"BENGHAZI, Libya — Galvanized by anger over the killing of the popular American ambassador here last week, thousands of Libyans marched through this city on Friday, demanding the disarming of the militias that helped topple the dictatorship but have troubled the country with their refusal to disband."

from the New York Times

Let us see if they disband.

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
I doubt if one rout will make them disband. But taking their safety and their weapons caches from them will make it harder for them. Notice that such tactics worked for us. While the rank and file of Al-Qaeda may be eager to die for their faith, the leaders seem a little more concerned about self-preservation.

Repeated killings of terrorist leaders has kept them off-balance.