toldailytopic: Gays in the military.

Status
Not open for further replies.

lucy

How would that same argument not apply to heterosexuals? IF this is about people answering questions or speaking about their sexuality, then obviously the rule should be applied to all.

IF a gay man is not permitted to speak about his husband/SO and family, why should a heterosexual man be able to mention his wife and family?

I have no problem with rules against sexual harassment that are applied across the board. However, why is it that some people just naturally assume that gay men are going to be the one's doing the harassing?

Heterosexual men are known to harass women and yet when THAT issue comes up it is normally met with the attitude of "Oh boys will be boys. That's why women shouldn't be allowed in the military."

Rather than anticipating problems based on nothing other than personal or religious bias, it would make more sense to deal with people on an individual basis.

I have not assumed that gay men or women are going to be the one's doing the harassing. Quite the opposite. I am of the opinion that the "boys will be boys attitude" will be applied to gay men, that is, that it is the gay men who will be at greater risk and will be targeted by non-gay men who feel threatened or phobic towards gay men.

The military MUST anticipate problems based on what is known of the personal and religious biases of those that serve in the military. They do not have the luxury to allow experimental studies in human sociology in combat zones...

lightbringer

TOL Subscriber
One does not have the same rights of expression in the military as does the general public. Get over it.

If it is done appropriately we most certainly do have that right!

Lead, follow or get the hell out of the way, so far you are demonstrating your ability to follow while causing a traffic jam, time to make a real decision!

lucy

If it is done appropriately we most certainly do have that right!

Lead, follow or get the hell out of the way, so far you are demonstrating your ability to follow while causing a traffic jam, time to make a real decision!

Are you in the military?

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
The military MUST anticipate problems based on what is known of the personal and religious biases of those that serve in the military. They do not have the luxury to allow experimental studies in human sociology in combat zones...

I agree ... as far as anticipating the problems, however, I don't agree with the solution.

Like a school bully, it are those who are harassing gays that are the problem. The military should deal with those who are unable to get along with others and give them the choice of shaping up or getting out.

zoo22

I have not assumed that gay men or women are going to be the one's doing the harassing. Quite the opposite. I am of the opinion that the "boys will be boys attitude" will be applied to gay men, that is, that it is the gay men who will be at greater risk and will be targeted by non-gay men who feel threatened or phobic towards gay men.

That may very well be true true... In that case maybe those "boys" ought to act like men instead. I believe they would.

Fortunately for us, there are many countries that have already been through real-world "experimental studies in human sociology in combat zones," by allowing homosexuals to serve in their militaries, without any substantial realization of the very same predicted morale problems the US is concerned about. As well, our troops have served alongside openly homosexual soldiers from other countries, like say, Britain. Again, real-world "experiments."

Have you ever read any of the studies of homosexuals serving in the military in other countries? Maybe you'd be surprised.

zoo22

I agree ... as far as anticipating the problems, however, I don't agree with the solution.

Like a school bully, it are those who are harassing gays that are the problem. The military should deal with those who are unable to get along with others and give them the choice of shaping up or getting out.

Or maybe we could change our school policy to not allow bullied kids to attend school because the bullying is disruptive... ?

:plain:

lightbringer

TOL Subscriber
Are you in the military?

Honorably retired after 21 years of service to this nation and to those men that make a stand for what is right and honorable.

Prejudices and bias (regardless the guise it is hiding behind) have no place in the military, our men have more serious matters to contend with.

lightbringer

TOL Subscriber
Or maybe we could change our school policy to not allow bullied kids to attend school because the bullying is disruptive... ?

Bullies in school are nothing more than children with behavior problems.

It starts at home and grows outward, the same as prejudices, and this is the reason some courts in this country are calling the parents on the carpet for not teaching their children properly.

lucy

Or do not set up the situation in the first place...

lucy

Honorably retired after 21 years of service to this nation and to those men that make a stand for what is right and honorable.

Prejudices and bias (regardless the guise it is hiding behind) have no place in the military, our men have more serious matters to contend with.

I commend and honor your service to our country. Thank you for your dedication and service - sincerely!

zoo22

Bullies in school are nothing more than children with behavior problems.

It starts at home and grows outward, the same as prejudices, and this is the reason some courts in this country are calling the parents on the carpet for not teaching their children properly.

I agree, lightbringer (I hope you didn't think I was serious). :plain:

zoo22

About as serious as heartburn.:D

:chuckle:

Y'know, through the years at TOL, one thing I've learned that y'never know. :plain:

And it can't hurt to clarify. ...Well, usually not, anyway. I mean, I don't think so anyway. Can it? :noid:

Son of Jack

:chuckle:

Y'know, through the years at TOL, one thing I've learned that y'never know. :plain:

And it can't hurt to clarify. ...Well, usually not, anyway. I mean, I don't think so anyway. Can it? :noid:

I wouldn't think so, but they've just discovered that sunscreen might cause skin cancer. Maybe clarity does the same...:idunno: Based on what I see around here, I'd argue that most believe it as a matter of fact.:plain:

zoo22

And here's to the countless brave troops who have given their lives defending our freedoms.

I hope everyone is able to spend time with good friends and family this Memorial Day weekend.

:FrankiE:

Persephone66

BANNED
Banned
Now it's an American ideal to commit a crime? :rolleyes: Lev. 18:22, 1 Kin. 14:24, Lev. 20:13, Rom. 1:24, 26, 27. You have the right to obey God.

See:

Our Rainbow

Just as well as you have the right not to obey God or decide on your own spiritual path in life. It's those in the armed services (even those that are gay) that give up some of their freedoms to keep it so you can enjoy those rights as well as others.

And for that I thank you sir.

Exactly. I really wish some people would get that through their heads.

Persephone66

BANNED
Banned
Nice to see that you have freely and openly chosen to be part of the 'godless' army. May you find some luck on your brief journey upon this earth.

It's nice to see that you agree with a cowardly army that claims to have God on their side. Maybe you should see if they are recruiting.

Status
Not open for further replies.