toldailytopic: Eternal torment, Annihilationism or Universalism, which do you believe

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
:rotfl:

Page 24 is completely collapsed for me because only Timotheos and resurrected posted on that entire page.

Timotheos

James 1:15-16
Then desire when it has conceived gives birth to sin, and sin when it is fully grown brings forth death.

Do not be deceived, my beloved brothers.

James is clear, sin brings forth death in the end. If you guys were right, James would have written "Sin, when it is fully grown brings forth eternal torture in Hell." James couldn't write that because the foul doctrine of eternal torturism had not been invented in James' time.

bybee

Page 24 is completely collapsed for me because only Timotheos and resurrected posted on that entire page.

I finally gave up and put "The Sodden One" on ignore.
And Lo and behold Beethoven's ninth symphony, last movement, the "Ode to Joy" began to play.
At last I am free from that Compleat Miscreant! :drum:

resurrected

BANNED
Banned
James 1:15-16
Then desire when it has conceived gives birth to sin, and sin when it is fully grown brings forth death.

Do not be deceived, my beloved brothers.

James is clear, sin brings forth death in the end. If you guys were right, James would have written "Sin, when it is fully grown brings forth eternal torture in Hell." James couldn't write that because the foul doctrine of eternal torturism had not been invented in James' time.

good one timmy! :first:

Timotheos

good one timmy! :first:

Thanks,
Here's a bonus verse:
Whoever despises the word brings destruction on himself,
but he who reveres the commandment will be rewarded.
Proverbs 13:13 ESV

See how the message of eternal life for God's people and destruction for those who despise the message of salvation is written throughout the Bible?

I'll see you tomorrow with more proof of Conditional Immortality.

Timotheos

There are so many scriptures supporting the true doctrine of Conditional Immortality and Overthrowing the false dogma of Eternal Torture, Here is another from James:

James 4:12
There is only one Lawgiver and Judge, the One who is able to save and to destroy;
God, who is the only Lawgiver and Judge saves those who turn to Him and destroys those who are wicked. This doesn't say "there is only one Lawgiver and Judge, the One who is able to keep people from being tortured forever and is able to torture people forever", and that is what the verse would have to say if people like Sod and LH were correct. But there is not a single verse in the entire Bible that supports their false idea that the wicked go to Hell when they die where they will be tortured alive forever when they are dead.
Destroy, not eternally torture.

Timotheos

This.
All I need is an actual reading of John 3:16, with no additional doctrinal trappings.

"For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life."

If those who believe in Christ will have ETERNAL LIFE, then it follows those who don't will NOT.
Otherwise why state it so?
If they DON'T have eternal life, how can they be tormented eternally?

End of argument, for me at least.

Exactly.

Vaquero45

Hall of Fame
No. No it isn't.

The latter point doesn't follow the former logically.

Death=separation from God. This is the fate suffered by our Lord, Jesus Christ. That is the fate that awaits those who do not believe, because they have not believed. They are eternally separated from God.

Can you show me anything that tells me the lost will go through the same process Jesus did? I can and have shown you verses that tell what happens to the lost. None of them include "like Jesus".

1. What are the verses again?

1. http://www.theologyonline.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3596892&postcount=273 (and there are more)
    [*]Have you prayed about this?

The claim that one "has prayed about this" regarding their beliefs has no effect on my believe in their doctrine. If AMR or Nang told you they prayed about Calvinism, if godrulz told you he prayed about mid Acts dispensation, if Meshak told you she prayed about the trinity, would you be impressed and reconsider? I do want to be right, I'll give praying a whirl. I have discussed and read studies on this topic. It is a huge sacred cow to most christian belief, it is a big factor in the way people describe/view God, and it needs to be fleshed out.

Then maybe you should compare it with the word of God, and go to Him in prayer instead of just adopting things that tickle your ears.

Maybe you could tickle my ears with scripture that makes me think the lost will go the the same things Jesus did. Then I'll look into it. As of now I have no real interest in that angle.

And, the fact that you appear to be ignoring Timotheos now is baffling to me, and makes me want to stop talking to you here. He has been overly polite beyond what is called for for the treatment he has received here and made many good posts.

Timotheos

And, the fact that you appear to be ignoring Timotheos now is baffling to me, and makes me want to stop talking to you here. He has been overly polite beyond what is called for for the treatment he has received here and made many good posts.

Thanks! Although I did call him a Moron one time, and Sod too.

But I believe that the evidence supports that thesis.

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
The latter point doesn't follow the former logically.
Only if you take death to mean something other than spiritual death, much the same as where we were before Christ: dead in our trespasses. Or do you think we were annihilated before we received Him?

Can you show me anything that tells me the lost will go through the same process Jesus did? I can and have shown you verses that tell what happens to the lost. None of them include "like Jesus".
Jesus suffered what He suffered for us, in our place, so we wouldn't have to.

And aren't you forgetting that Death is thrown into the Lake of Fire before any human souls? How can they die if there is no more Death?

And why the qualifier of "eternal," or "everlasting," if "death" means annihilation? Those two 'e' words are there to tell us these things will not be undone, but annihilation can't be undone, so why the qualifiers?

And for whom was the everlasting fire prepared? Not for humans. Not when it was created. So if it will not annihilate those for whom it was created, as per Revelation 20:10, why would it annihilate those for whom it was not created?

2 Peter 2:12 (NASB)
12 But these, like unreasoning animals, born as creatures of instinct to be captured and killed, reviling where they have no knowledge, will in the destruction of those creatures also be destroyed,

Psalm 49:20 (NASB)
20 Man in his pomp, yet without understanding,
Is like the beasts that perish.
Does anyone believe animals are eternally tortured after death?
Animals don't have souls, so comparisons cannot be made between the physical deaths of animals what human souls suffer in the Lake of Fire.:nono:
Luke 9:23-25 (NASB)
23 And He was saying to them all, “If anyone wishes to come after Me, he must deny himself, and take up his cross daily and follow Me. 24 For whoever wishes to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for My sake, he is the one who will save it. 25 For what is a man profited if he gains the whole world, and loses or forfeits himself?
I don't see how this verse supports your argument.

Matthew 13:40 (NASB)
40 So just as the tares are gathered up and burned with fire, so shall it be at the [a]end of the age.
Do tares burn forever?
It's an illustrative comparison; it's not perfect.
Psalm 37:20 (NASB)
20 But the wicked will perish;
And the enemies of the Lord will be like the glory of the pastures,
They vanish—like smoke they vanish away.
Perish and vanish away. It that the traditional description of eternal torment?
Psalm 37:1-2 (NASB)
37 Do not fret because of evildoers,
Be not envious toward wrongdoers.
2 For they will wither quickly like the grass
And fade like the green herb.​
David thought grass would be tortured for eternity?
Malachi 4:1-5 (NASB)
4 “For behold, the day is coming, burning like a furnace; and all the arrogant and every evildoer will be chaff; and the day that is coming will set them ablaze,” says the Lord of hosts, “so that it will leave them neither root nor branch.” 2 “But for you who fear My name, the sun of righteousness will rise with healing in its wings; and you will go forth and skip about like calves from the stall. 3 You will tread down the wicked, for they will be ashes under the soles of your feet on the day which I am preparing,” says the Lord of hosts.
4 “Remember the law of Moses My servant, even the statutes and ordinances which I commanded him in Horeb for all Israel.
5 “Behold, I am going to send you Elijah the prophet before the coming of the great and terrible day of the Lord.​
Chaff doesn't burn forever, people turned to ashes are not eternally in pain.
Luke 17:33 (NASB)
33 Whoever seeks to keep his life will lose it, and whoever loses his life will preserve it.​
John 12:25 (NASB)
25 He who loves his life loses it, and he who hates his life in this world will keep it to life eternal.​
The lost are not preserved, they do not keep their life eternally.
2 Peter 2:6 (NASB)
6 and if He condemned the cities of Sodom and Gomorrah to destruction by reducing them to ashes, having made them an example to those who would live ungodly lives thereafter;​
Jude 1:7 (NASB)
7 just as Sodom and Gomorrah and the cities around them, since they in the same way as these indulged in gross immorality and went after strange flesh, are exhibited as an example in undergoing the punishment of eternal fire.​
The fire is eternal, are Sodom and Gomorrah still burning?
Romans 6:23 (NASB)
23 For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.​
Galatians 6:8 (NASB)
8 For the one who sows to his own flesh will from the flesh reap corruption, but the one who sows to the Spirit will from the Spirit reap eternal life.​
Romans 8:13 (NASB)
13 for if you are living according to the flesh, you [a]must die; but if by the Spirit you are putting to death the deeds of the body, you will live.​
Eternal life is for the saved. The lost get "death".
Matthew 10:28 (NASB)
28 Do not fear those who kill the body but are unable to kill the soul; but rather fear Him who is able to destroy both soul and body in hell.
The body and soul are destroyed in hell.
Hebrews 10:39 (NASB)
39 But we are not of those who shrink back to destruction, but of those who have faith to the preserving of the soul.
Destruction is the opposite of preserving the soul.

-----------------

Now for the big favorite:
Revelation 14:9-11 (NASB)
Doom for Worshipers of the Beast

9 Then another angel, a third one, followed them, saying with a loud voice, “If anyone worships the beast and his image, and receives a mark on his forehead or on his hand, 10 he also will drink of the wine of the wrath of God, which is mixed in full strength in the cup of His anger; and he will be tormented with fire and brimstone in the presence of the holy angels and in the presence of the Lamb. 11 And the smoke of their torment goes up forever and ever; they have no rest day and night, those who worship the beast and his image, and whoever receives the mark of his name.”​
Looks bad right? Now see....
Isaiah 34:9-10 (NASB)
9 [a]Its streams will be turned into pitch,
And its loose earth into brimstone,
And its land will become burning pitch.
10 It will not be quenched night or day;
Its smoke will go up forever.
From generation to generation it will be desolate;
None will pass through it forever and ever.​
Edom would be destroyed for sure, is it still on fire? Smoke still rising? The land would be later inhabited quite nicely by animals. Paul prayed "night and day", forever? There is simply no way I can take this as it casually reads, in light of all the other verses on the topic.
Revelation 20:10 (NASB)
10 And the devil who deceived them was thrown into the lake of fire and [a]brimstone, where the beast and the false prophet are also; and they will be tormented day and night forever and ever.​
2 Thessalonians 2:3 (NASB)
3 Let no one in any way deceive you, for it will not come unless the [a]apostasy comes first, and the man of lawlessness is revealed, the son of destruction,​
The man will be "destroyed" in the fire like all other men, the beast, the devil, and his angels will be eternally tormented. Jesus tells us:
Luke 20:34-36 (NASB)
34 Jesus said to them, “The sons of this age marry and are given in marriage, 35 but those who are considered worthy to attain to that age and the resurrection from the dead, neither marry nor are given in marriage; 36 for they cannot even die anymore, because they are like angels, and are sons of God, being sons of the resurrection.​
Those who are considered worthy and are sons of God will be like Angels, in that they cannot die. Not the lost.
Acts 20:26-27
“Therefore, I declare to you today that I am innocent of the blood of all men. (27) For I have not hesitated to proclaim to you the whole will of God.”​
Why wouldn't Paul let us know about eternal torture in very clear terms if he was worried about having blame from withholding info?

Why not make it clear they would become non-extant?

The claim that one "has prayed about this" regarding their beliefs has no effect on my believe in their doctrine. If AMR or Nang told you they prayed about Calvinism, if godrulz told you he prayed about mid Acts dispensation, if Meshak told you she prayed about the trinity, would you be impressed and reconsider? I do want to be right, I'll give praying a whirl. I have discussed and read studies on this topic. It is a huge sacred cow to most christian belief, it is a big factor in the way people describe/view God, and it needs to be fleshed out.
I'm not making a claim. I asked you a question.

Maybe you could tickle my ears with scripture that makes me think the lost will go the the same things Jesus did. Then I'll look into it. As of now I have no real interest in that angle.
They won't go through the exact same thing, as Jesus rose from the dead and ascended into Heaven. And He never went into the Lake of Fire.

Speaking of the Lake of Fire:

The devil, who deceived them, was cast into the lake of fire and brimstone where the beast and the false prophet are. And they will be tormented day and night forever and ever.
-Revelation 20:10

If annihilation is true then why not annihilate the devil and the beast? And before you argue that they are spirits the false prophet is not, he will be human and here the text tells us he will be tormented forever, aka eternally.

And what about Daniel 12:2?

And many of those who sleep in the dust of the earth shall awake,
Some to everlasting life,
Some to shame and everlasting contempt.

It's not about his demeanor, it's about the fact that I have come to understand there is no reasoning with him; he will not budge and therefore it is pointless for me to even try. He is not interested in discourse, or the possibility he might be wrong.

Timotheos

timmy's a retarded attention hound :idunno:

How about the scriptures that I posted that support my position? Do you think that the Bible is "retarded" too? Do you think that God's Word is "retarded"? I suppose you think that God Himself is "retarded".
You must, because I am just repeating what God said in His word.

From your posts, I can tell that you have a learning disability or a brain injury. So your statement that the Bible, God and me are all retarded is meaningless.

Now if you really think that I am "retarded", it should be an easy matter for you to refute the scriptures that I've posted. If you aren't retarded, and if you are correct, it would be simple to post the verse that says "The wicked will go to hell when they die where they will be tortured alive forever." If you can't post that, then you wrong.

Timotheos

It's not about his demeanor, it's about the fact that I have come to understand there is no reasoning with him; he will not budge and therefore it is pointless for me to even try. He is not interested in discourse, or the possibility he might be wrong.

Just because I didn't change my position the first time you called me retarded? You didn't offer any scriptural support, you didn't offer any proof of your position, there was nothing to indicate that you knew anything at all. Why should I change my opinion to match your uninformed opinion? I agree with the Bible, and I posted the proof of that. You don't agree with the Bible, so I can't agree with you.

If you would post something that supports your false dogma, I would believe you. If there were a verse in the Bible that says "The wicked will go to hell when they die where they will be tortured forever," that is all it would take.

But you haven't done that. Your insults won't change my mind. Your insults just prove that you don't know what you are talking about.

Timotheos

yes timmy, that's all very nice :first:

You are an idiot. What do you think that post proves? If you believe that the wicked go to hell to be tortured alive forever when they die, simply post the verse that says that. There is no reason to mock me at all, if the Bible supports your dumb ideas, then post it. If you can't then stop being stupid.