ECT "Things that are different" included Gentiles

Interplanner

Paul's use of the word flock makes sense in the context of his analogous warning of grievous wolves who would and did enter in these nascent assemblies. Don't read more into it than is there.

lol, but calling them the flock always was an analogy and you are saying it never happened. Peter called elders to shepherd the sheep too!

What is going on here? Is it ADD or is it just obstinance?

musterion

Paul speaks of individual believers who are members of the body of Christ as full grown sons, not as sheep.

His analogy of flocks [assemblies] is tied directly to the analogy of the coming wolves [false teachers]. Such as yourself.

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Paul speaks of individual believers who are members of the body of Christ as full grown sons, not as sheep.

You really need to read 1 Tim 5:&6

For example, Paul addresses slaves who were believers:

(1 Tim 6:2) Those who have believing masters should not show them disrespect just because they are fellow believers. Instead, they should serve them even better because their masters are dear to them as fellow believers and are devoted to the welfare of their slaves. These are the things you are to teach and insist on.

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER

(1 Tim 5:9-10) No widow may be put on the list of widows unless she is over sixty, has been faithful to her husband, 10 and is well known for her good deeds, such as bringing up children, showing hospitality, washing the feet of the Lord’s people, helping those in trouble and devoting herself to all kinds of good deeds.

Interplanner

His analogy of flocks [assemblies] is tied directly to the analogy of the coming wolves [false teachers]. Such as yourself.

Who are you talking to and why? is there something wrong proclaiming God was in Christ reconciling the debt of sin? That that is the fulfillment of OT hopes?

Interplanner

be shepherds of God's flock...
...being examples to the flock, and when the chief shepherd appears...
I Peter 5

You are flat wrong and most of your D'ism is put together as badly as this

Danoh

Protecting the sheep is referring to this sort of thing,

Romans 15
25 But now I go unto Jerusalem to minister unto the saints.

26 For it hath pleased them of Macedonia and Achaia to make a certain contribution for the poor saints which are at Jerusalem.

27 It hath pleased them verily; and their debtors they are. For if the Gentiles have been made partakers of their spiritual things, their duty is also to minister unto them in carnal things.

Nope.

Spoiler

This here is there, true...

Acts 20:33 I have coveted no man's silver, or gold, or apparel. 20:34 Yea, ye yourselves know, that these hands have ministered unto my necessities, and to them that were with me. 20:35 I have shewed you all things, how that so labouring ye ought to support the weak, and to remember the words of the Lord Jesus, how he said, It is more blessed to give than to receive.

But there is much more of equal importance, that he is also talking about in Acts 20.

He is also talking about the need for a continued emphasis on doctrine or teaching, and with very good reason.

Acts 20:28 Take heed therefore unto yourselves, and to all the flock, over the which the Holy Ghost hath made you overseers, to feed the church of God, which he hath purchased with his own blood. 20:29 For I know this, that after my departing shall grievous wolves enter in among you, not sparing the flock. 20:30 Also of your own selves shall men arise, speaking perverse things, to draw away disciples after them. 20:31 Therefore watch, and remember, that by the space of three years I ceased not to warn every one night and day with tears. 20:32 And now, brethren, I commend you to God, and to the word of his grace, which is able to build you up, and to give you an inheritance among all them which are sanctified.

Put aside your obvious bias for a minute, Acts 17:11.

And then attempt to compare first, what he was talking about both before and after he says what he says.

And then seek out other passages within the Scripture - not just Paul's - wherein a same or similar exchange is also found at work, and where something similar is also said within what is already being talked about.

And then seek to identify what they have in common with the exchange in your subject passage (the one you are attempting to sort out, or get at the proper sense of).

This is a key Bible Study Principle; as the following, very small sample from the Scripture; will show.

Follow that Principe and in this case here as to Acts 20, what you'll find is that the issue Paul was referring to was the issue of their doing what Paul says he had been doing all that time he had been with them - how that he had not shunned from sharing the whole counsel of God with them, and how that he was now leaving them in the capable hands of the Word of His grace - which Paul believes is able to build them up, or properly nourish them and their flock or assemblies, such that when fools, or worse: grievious wolves come along; it will not be so easy for such to take their flock (as Pastors, and Elders and such over their assemblies) - it will not be so easy for such fools to come in and take their flock captive, bewitch them, lead them astray, shipwreck their faith, and so on.

THIS issue a theme COMMON THROUGHOUT The Scripture.

Isaiah 5:13 Therefore my people are gone into captivity, because they have no knowledge: and their honourable men are famished, and their multitude dried up with thirst.

Isaiah 28:9 Whom shall he teach knowledge? and whom shall he make to understand doctrine? them that are weaned from the milk, and drawn from the breasts.

Jeremiah 3:15 And I will give you pastors according to mine heart, which shall feed you with knowledge and understanding.

1 Peter 5:1 The elders which are among you I exhort, who am also an elder, and a witness of the sufferings of Christ, and also a partaker of the glory that shall be revealed: 5:2 Feed the flock of God which is among you, taking the oversight thereof, not by constraint, but willingly; not for filthy lucre, but of a ready mind; 5:3 Neither as being lords over God's heritage, but being ensamples to the flock. 5:4 And when the chief Shepherd shall appear, ye shall receive a crown of glory that fadeth not away.

1 Peter 2:2 As newborn babes, desire the sincere milk of the word, that ye may grow thereby:

Ephesians 4:11 And he gave some, apostles; and some, prophets; and some, evangelists; and some, pastors and teachers; 4:12 For the perfecting of the saints, for the work of the ministry, for the edifying of the body of Christ: 4:13 Till we all come in the unity of the faith, and of the knowledge of the Son of God, unto a perfect man, unto the measure of the stature of the fulness of Christ: 4:14 That we henceforth be no more children, tossed to and fro, and carried about with every wind of doctrine, by the sleight of men, and cunning craftiness, whereby they lie in wait to deceive; 4:15 But speaking the truth in love, may grow up into him in all things, which is the head, even Christ: 4:16 From whom the whole body fitly joined together and compacted by that which every joint supplieth, according to the effectual working in the measure of every part, maketh increase of the body unto the edifying of itself in love. 4:17 This I say therefore, and testify in the Lord, that ye henceforth walk not as other Gentiles walk, in the vanity of their mind, 4:18 Having the understanding darkened, being alienated from the life of God through the ignorance that is in them, because of the blindness of their heart: 4:19 Who being past feeling have given themselves over unto lasciviousness, to work all uncleanness with greediness. 4:20 But ye have not so learned Christ; 4:21 If so be that ye have heard him, and have been taught by him, as the truth is in Jesus: 4:22 That ye put off concerning the former conversation the old man, which is corrupt according to the deceitful lusts; 4:23 And be renewed in the spirit of your mind; 4:24 And that ye put on the new man, which after God is created in righteousness and true holiness.

These are the themes Paul is talking about in Acts 20.

THIS had been what had so weighed on his heart.

The danger, and its' source...

2 Timothy 3:1 This know also, that in the last days perilous times shall come. 3:2 For men shall be lovers of their own selves, covetous, boasters, proud, blasphemers, disobedient to parents, unthankful, unholy, 3:3 Without natural affection, trucebreakers, false accusers, incontinent, fierce, despisers of those that are good, 3:4 Traitors, heady, highminded, lovers of pleasures more than lovers of God; 3:5 Having a form of godliness, but denying the power thereof: from such turn away. 3:6 For of this sort are they which creep into houses, and lead captive silly women laden with sins, led away with divers lusts, 3:7 Ever learning, and never able to come to the knowledge of the truth. 3:8 Now as Jannes and Jambres withstood Moses, so do these also resist the truth: men of corrupt minds, reprobate concerning the faith.

Solution and its' source...

3:9 But they shall proceed no further: for their folly shall be manifest unto all men, as theirs also was. 3:10 But thou hast fully known my doctrine, manner of life, purpose, faith, longsuffering, charity, patience, 3:11 Persecutions, afflictions, which came unto me at Antioch, at Iconium, at Lystra; what persecutions I endured: but out of them all the Lord delivered me. 3:12 Yea, and all that will live godly in Christ Jesus shall suffer persecution. 3:13 But evil men and seducers shall wax worse and worse, deceiving, and being deceived. 3:14 But continue thou in the things which thou hast learned and hast been assured of, knowing of whom thou hast learned them; 3:15 And that from a child thou hast known the holy scriptures, which are able to make thee wise unto salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus. 3:16 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: 3:17 That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works.

It is a theme COMMON THROUGHOUT The Scripture, bro.

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER

Maybe you should read all of 1 Timothy

Let's look at what Paul said about the members of the Body of Christ:

(1 Tim 3:14-15) Although I hope to come to you soon, I am writing you these instructions so that, 15 if I am delayed, you will know how people ought to conduct themselves in God’s household, which is the church of the living God, the pillar and foundation of the truth.

In chp 3, Paul not only gives guidelines for elders and deacons, but makes it clear that members of the Body of Christ need to conduct themselves in a certain way.

Danoh

be shepherds of God's flock...
...being examples to the flock, and when the chief shepherd appears...
I Peter 5

You are flat wrong and most of your D'ism is put together as badly as this

Geez...

There you go once more with your "one size fits" all blanket statement :chuckle:

Rendering by that part of your above assertion quoted here the "witness" of which "is true" - rendering it by your next statement "of none effect."

Danoh

Funny how you Darby Followers go on and on about literalism, but then get to be analogous whenever you feel like it.

I have just proven that is your "one size fits all" Dispys.

In my answer to STP's post about what Paul is talking about in Acts 20.

Your "one size fits all" merely revealing once more, you yourself stymie yourself by your own brand of myopia going in :chuckle:

Danoh

I have no problem making a blanket statement: "Dispensationalism is wrong".

Fortunately, I don't suffer from your obvious issue.

The result being that I am still able to learn much from what any school of thought and or individual might have to contribute.

It is known as being objective.

Try it some time.

By the way, do you believe a person has to DO something either FOR salvation and or for ITS' MAINTENANCE AFTER salvation?

I'd really like to clear that up, where your eternal soul is concerned.

And look at answering that this way - you are already constantly mocked and spit on, on here, by the grace-less grace of some and those who condone that by their silence and or failure to report one of their own.

Thus, whatever your actual belief might be on those two aspects of salvation, there is no need for you to dance around a straight answer - you have already long since been tried and condemned by the duplicity of such.

Clear this up already.

If anything, it just might begin to heap hot coals on the conscience of some when such so disgracefully attack you for your obviously different eschatology; from this point forward.

Danoh

His analogy of flocks [assemblies] is tied directly to the analogy of the coming wolves [false teachers]...

Yep.

Maybe you should read all of 1 Timothy

Let's look at what Paul said about the members of the Body of Christ:

(1 Tim 3:14-15) Although I hope to come to you soon, I am writing you these instructions so that, 15 if I am delayed, you will know how people ought to conduct themselves in God’s household, which is the church of the living God, the pillar and foundation of the truth.

In chp 3, Paul not only gives guidelines for elders and deacons, but makes it clear that members of the Body of Christ need to conduct themselves in a certain way.

Yep.

And speaking of which: my apology to you Musterion for that comment I'd made that you believe in the capital punishment of homosexuals when what they need is to be preached the gospel to.

In my haste, I'd confused someone who has asserted that on here, with you.

Again, my apology, Musterion.

Thanks for your quote of that Scripture - and your comment on it there - for its' resulting mirror like reflection - Tetelestai - just what the doctor ordered.

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
By the way, do you believe a person has to DO something either FOR salvation and or for ITS' MAINTENANCE AFTER salvation?

I believe salvation is by grace, through faith in Christ Jesus. (however, they will argue whether it's the faith of Christ Jesus, or faith in Christ Jesus)

I'm OSAS (once saved always saved).

I do not believe that anything is required after salvation. However, the Apostle Paul makes it clear what believers should and shouldn't do, and how they should conduct themselves. The things Paul says to do and not to do have nothing to do with salvation. Paul tells us these things because they are good for the church, good for being an ambassador of Christ, good for being a witness to Christ, etc. Not to mention the fact that if you do and don't do the things Paul tells us to, you'll have a happier, healthier, better life.

God's Truth

If it is not the one and only good news gospel that saves, why did Jesus fill the whole universe?

Jesus came to earth and taught those on earth. Then Jesus descended to the spirits in prison to preach to them, to those who disobeyed long ago; see 1 Peter 3:18-19,1 Peter 4:5-6). Jesus then ascended higher than all the heavens. Jesus filled the whole universe (see Ephesians 4:10).

Why would Jesus preach the gospel to those of the past if it was not the one and only gospel?

musterion

Yep.

Yep.

And speaking of which: my apology to you Musterion for that comment I'd made that you believe in the capital punishment of homosexuals when what they need is to be preached the gospel to.

In my haste, I'd confused someone who has asserted that on here, with you.

Again, my apology, Musterion.

Accepted. The only ones here who have said anything like that are, I believe, the one who used to call himself Nazaroo and possibly ACW. Thank you for clearing it up.