The Trinity

The Trinity

• Total voters

Rosenritter

GT I was asking Bright Raven what he believed, and for his comment on James White. It's only fair to let Bright Raven answer for himself, no?

Here is the reference I posted over a year ago asking for clarification. James White, on "A Brief Definition of the Trinity"

http://vintage.aomin.org/trinitydef.html

It is necessary here to distinguish between the terms "being" and "person." It would be a contradiction, obviously, to say that there are three beings within one being, or three persons within one person. So what is the difference? We clearly recognize the difference between being and person every day. We recognize what something is, yet we also recognize individuals within a classification. For example, we speak of the "being" of man---human being. A rock has "being"---the being of a rock, as does a cat, a dog, etc. Yet, we also know that there are personal attributes as well. That is, we recognize both "what" and "who" when we talk about a person.

The Bible tells us there are three classifications of personal beings---God, man, and angels. What is personality? The ability to have emotion, will, to express oneself. Rocks cannot speak. Cats cannot think of themselves over against others, and, say, work for the common good of "cat kind." Hence, we are saying that there is one eternal, infinite being of God, shared fully and completely by three persons, Father, Son and Spirit. One what, three who's.

What I am looking for is whether this does represent Bright Raven, and whether or not he agrees with this definition. It's his board, his subject, and as such I want the definition of this board defined.

No.

The trinity doctrine is about three different making one.

The trinity doctrine says there are three different, who all together make one.
Spoiler

They believe that they are NOT the same by being the same Spirit.

They believe that they are NOT the same by all three being Light.

They believe that the Holy Spirit is a shared Spirit and that the Holy Spirit is the proxy of the two others.

That is a false doctrine

They will come on and say I am wrong, but then when they are forced to explain, they will either say it is not explainable; they will say you are condemned, apostate, and a heretic, but what they will not do explain their doctrine, they will not show what the same essence is, and they will deny the truth.

Evil.Eye.<(I)>

BANNED
Banned
How does this response answer any of the questions I asked shown above? Try again, how is it possible Othniel (Judges 3:9) and Ehud (Judges 3:15) if there can only be literally one saviour?

Since you haven't answered directly I'll have to ask you to claify your answer. Are you trying to express that since you believe in the trinity, and that you believe each person of the trinity represents one of either the body spirit or soul that each part is in subject to itself and thus this explains that the Father was subject to Jesus?

If it is then it doesn't make sense, since scripture further states that the when God the Father subjected all things under Jesus that he himself wasn't included in it.

(1 Corinthians 15:27) "..For God “subjected all things under his feet.” But when he says that ‘all things have been subjected,’ it is evident that this does not include the One who subjected all things to him.."

So I'll ask you again, since you didn't give a clear answer, was the Father included in the all things when it states all things were subjected to the son? And if not does that mean "all things" doesn't have to literally mean every single thing. (don't forget we're discussing this because you claimed that Jesus name is above every name including the name of Jehovah, you'll see soon why I'm reminding you of this).

Another question on the same subject matter. In Hebrews 2:8 it talks of the authority mankind had but lost which was passed onto Jesus as shown in the next verse, v9. The verses states in regards to man, "All things you subjected under his feet.” By subjecting all things to him, God left nothing that is not subject to him". Since the verse says God subject "all things to Man" and that when God did this he left "Nothing not subject" man does that mean God along with Gods Angels were subject to Man?

Before you read the account I'm aware v9 talks of Jesus, it holds no relevance to my point since v9 is in regards to Man. I only saay this because 90% of people who I show this verse bring up the fact Jesus is mentioned in v9 which doesn't change anything in regards to my argument or question.

(Hebrews 2:6,8, 9) ".. But in one place a certain witness said: “What is man that you keep him in mind, or a son of man that you take care of him? All things you subjected under his feet.” By subjecting all things to him, God left nothing that is not subject to him. Now, though, we do not yet see all things in subjection to him. 9 But we do see Jesus, who was made a little lower than angels, now crowned with glory and honor for having suffered death, so that by God’s undeserved kindness he might taste death for everyone.."

Display what you mean using scripture.

You've yet to show me how you exposed me with Romans 10:13, its becoming a custom for you to claim you exposed me with Romans 10:13 and for me to show me how. Please please show me and pleas please answer the question I've posed to you regarding it. Here it is again.

When Romans 10:11 compares Jesus as the cornerstone saying "No one who rests his faith on him will be disappointed", which is a quote from Isaiah 28:16 that states Jehovah laid that corner stone, is Jesus Jehovah who laid the cornerstone or is Jesus the cornerstone that Jehovah laid?

I have no issue with discussing Isaiah 9:6, it certainly doesn't prove Jesus is God, being part of a trinity. And I don't believe it's spurious.

God doesn't share his glory with anyone, not once have I stated or even implied such a notion. You fail to grasp Phil 2:11, "and every tongue should openly acknowledge that Jesus Christ is Lord to the glory of God the Father". Giving Jesus homage isn't retracting glory from the Father since, as the verse states if you bend the knee to Jesus it doesn't go to him BUT the father.

Again , no one goes to the Father except through Jesus. This is biblical fact! We worship the father through Jesus. Thus if we glorify Jesus he passes that glory onto the Father, and keeps none for himself. Thus, God the Father doesn't share his glory.

The two important points you need to stop forgetting, one, Jesus said no ones comes to the Father except through him, thus the only way to worship the Father is to worship through Jesus. Two, Phil 2:11 states that when everything on heaven and on earth bends the knee to Jesus it is to the Fathers Glory, NOT Jesus. Jesus words "no ones comes to the Father except through him" are being applied in Phil 2:11.

And??? Actually think about the two verses you just cited. What does an mirror do? It reflects, Jesus, according to Hebrews 1:3 is a reflection/radiance of Gods glory. Absolute statements are not as absolute as they seem, where just starting to scrape the service as to what I mean, when you answer the questions I've already ask it will become clearer. All I'll say is when it says God doesn;t share his glory it can only be understood as far as the surrounding verse context allows. Everytime God talks about not sharing is glory its in relation to other false Gods of the nation.

The Bible has many example of Gods glory being shwon through his representatives. In Jesus case he is Gods greatest representative, thus he's a reflection of Gods glory.

Need proof of what I just said regarding representives of God radiate Gods glory, here it is.

An angel shared Gods glory - "..Suddenly Gods angel stood before them, and the Lords glory gleamed around them, and they became very fearful.." (Luke 2:9)

Followers of Christ reflect Gods glory - (2 Corinthians 3:17, 18) "..Now the Lord is the Spirit, and where the spirit of the Lord is, there is freedom. 18 And all of us, while we with unveiled faces reflect like mirrors the glory of the Lord, are transformed into the same image from one degree of glory to another, exactly as it is done by Jehovah the Spirit.."

Just no, so much twisted logic. It states in Phil 2:9 that it was the Father who ordained that action be taken towards the son. In v11 it states its to the father glory so God is obviously not included in the submission since he ordained it, remember what we learned from 1 Corinthians 15:27?? For God “subjected all things under his feet.” But when he says that ‘all things have been subjected,’ it is evident that this does not include the One who subjected all things to him.

In light of 1 Cor 15:27 lets read Phil 2:9-11.

(Philippians 2:9-11) "..For this very reason, God exalted him to a superior position and kindly gave him the name that is above every other name, 10 so that in the name of Jesus every knee should bend—of those in heaven and those on earth and those under the ground— 11 and every tongue should openly acknowledge that Jesus Christ is Lord to the glory of God the Father.."

When reviewing both 1 Cor 15:27 and Phil 2:9-11 it's so so clear that the Father isn't included to the bending of the knee. I think you've forgotten you're the one that claim when something says all things it literally mean all things. You don't understand the bibles use of definite language,you can't separate what is said from its context.

Again you think you have me stumped with Isaiah 45:23, answer my question regarding it! Since glory ultimately goes to God in Phil 2:11 who do people in effect bend the knee to? Do you recall what I told you to remember, "no one comes to the Father except through who..." Does Jesus get the glory in Phil 2:11 or does the Father? The Father! So yes, God has sworn by himself, that he will be the one who ultimately is gloried who people bend the knee to.

Again, I'm not trying to insult, but if you actually believe the stuff you say, like the statement above, you're out of your mind. Lets see if you can answer the questions I've asked directly and honestly.

You have called Jehovah a liar here.

I'll answer after the weekend... in full... but I am giving you a chance to catch your error.

Toodles,

- EE

God's Truth

GT I was asking Bright Raven what he believed, and for his comment on James White. It's only fair to let Bright Raven answer for himself, no?

Here is the reference I posted over a year ago asking for clarification. James White, on "A Brief Definition of the Trinity"

http://vintage.aomin.org/trinitydef.html

What I am looking for is whether this does represent Bright Raven, and whether or not he agrees with this definition. It's his board, his subject, and as such I want the definition of this board defined.

Back off, all can post here. I am not stopping you so stop trying to stop me.

Evil.Eye.<(I)>

BANNED
Banned
How does this response answer any of the questions I asked shown above? Try again, how is it possible Othniel (Judges 3:9) and Ehud (Judges 3:15) if there can only be literally one saviour?

Since you haven't answered directly I'll have to ask you to claify your answer. Are you trying to express that since you believe in the trinity, and that you believe each person of the trinity represents one of either the body spirit or soul that each part is in subject to itself and thus this explains that the Father was subject to Jesus?

If it is then it doesn't make sense, since scripture further states that the when God the Father subjected all things under Jesus that he himself wasn't included in it.

(1 Corinthians 15:27) "..For God “subjected all things under his feet.” But when he says that ‘all things have been subjected,’ it is evident that this does not include the One who subjected all things to him.."

So I'll ask you again, since you didn't give a clear answer, was the Father included in the all things when it states all things were subjected to the son? And if not does that mean "all things" doesn't have to literally mean every single thing. (don't forget we're discussing this because you claimed that Jesus name is above every name including the name of Jehovah, you'll see soon why I'm reminding you of this).

Another question on the same subject matter. In Hebrews 2:8 it talks of the authority mankind had but lost which was passed onto Jesus as shown in the next verse, v9. The verses states in regards to man, "All things you subjected under his feet.” By subjecting all things to him, God left nothing that is not subject to him". Since the verse says God subject "all things to Man" and that when God did this he left "Nothing not subject" man does that mean God along with Gods Angels were subject to Man?

Before you read the account I'm aware v9 talks of Jesus, it holds no relevance to my point since v9 is in regards to Man. I only saay this because 90% of people who I show this verse bring up the fact Jesus is mentioned in v9 which doesn't change anything in regards to my argument or question.

(Hebrews 2:6,8, 9) ".. But in one place a certain witness said: “What is man that you keep him in mind, or a son of man that you take care of him? All things you subjected under his feet.” By subjecting all things to him, God left nothing that is not subject to him. Now, though, we do not yet see all things in subjection to him. 9 But we do see Jesus, who was made a little lower than angels, now crowned with glory and honor for having suffered death, so that by God’s undeserved kindness he might taste death for everyone.."

Display what you mean using scripture.

You've yet to show me how you exposed me with Romans 10:13, its becoming a custom for you to claim you exposed me with Romans 10:13 and for me to show me how. Please please show me and pleas please answer the question I've posed to you regarding it. Here it is again.

When Romans 10:11 compares Jesus as the cornerstone saying "No one who rests his faith on him will be disappointed", which is a quote from Isaiah 28:16 that states Jehovah laid that corner stone, is Jesus Jehovah who laid the cornerstone or is Jesus the cornerstone that Jehovah laid?

I have no issue with discussing Isaiah 9:6, it certainly doesn't prove Jesus is God, being part of a trinity. And I don't believe it's spurious.

God doesn't share his glory with anyone, not once have I stated or even implied such a notion. You fail to grasp Phil 2:11, "and every tongue should openly acknowledge that Jesus Christ is Lord to the glory of God the Father". Giving Jesus homage isn't retracting glory from the Father since, as the verse states if you bend the knee to Jesus it doesn't go to him BUT the father.

Again , no one goes to the Father except through Jesus. This is biblical fact! We worship the father through Jesus. Thus if we glorify Jesus he passes that glory onto the Father, and keeps none for himself. Thus, God the Father doesn't share his glory.

The two important points you need to stop forgetting, one, Jesus said no ones comes to the Father except through him, thus the only way to worship the Father is to worship through Jesus. Two, Phil 2:11 states that when everything on heaven and on earth bends the knee to Jesus it is to the Fathers Glory, NOT Jesus. Jesus words "no ones comes to the Father except through him" are being applied in Phil 2:11.

And??? Actually think about the two verses you just cited. What does an mirror do? It reflects, Jesus, according to Hebrews 1:3 is a reflection/radiance of Gods glory. Absolute statements are not as absolute as they seem, where just starting to scrape the service as to what I mean, when you answer the questions I've already ask it will become clearer. All I'll say is when it says God doesn;t share his glory it can only be understood as far as the surrounding verse context allows. Everytime God talks about not sharing is glory its in relation to other false Gods of the nation.

The Bible has many example of Gods glory being shwon through his representatives. In Jesus case he is Gods greatest representative, thus he's a reflection of Gods glory.

Need proof of what I just said regarding representives of God radiate Gods glory, here it is.

An angel shared Gods glory - "..Suddenly Gods angel stood before them, and the Lords glory gleamed around them, and they became very fearful.." (Luke 2:9)

Followers of Christ reflect Gods glory - (2 Corinthians 3:17, 18) "..Now the Lord is the Spirit, and where the spirit of the Lord is, there is freedom. 18 And all of us, while we with unveiled faces reflect like mirrors the glory of the Lord, are transformed into the same image from one degree of glory to another, exactly as it is done by Jehovah the Spirit.."

Just no, so much twisted logic. It states in Phil 2:9 that it was the Father who ordained that action be taken towards the son. In v11 it states its to the father glory so God is obviously not included in the submission since he ordained it, remember what we learned from 1 Corinthians 15:27?? For God “subjected all things under his feet.” But when he says that ‘all things have been subjected,’ it is evident that this does not include the One who subjected all things to him.

In light of 1 Cor 15:27 lets read Phil 2:9-11.

(Philippians 2:9-11) "..For this very reason, God exalted him to a superior position and kindly gave him the name that is above every other name, 10 so that in the name of Jesus every knee should bend—of those in heaven and those on earth and those under the ground— 11 and every tongue should openly acknowledge that Jesus Christ is Lord to the glory of God the Father.."

When reviewing both 1 Cor 15:27 and Phil 2:9-11 it's so so clear that the Father isn't included to the bending of the knee. I think you've forgotten you're the one that claim when something says all things it literally mean all things. You don't understand the bibles use of definite language,you can't separate what is said from its context.

Again you think you have me stumped with Isaiah 45:23, answer my question regarding it! Since glory ultimately goes to God in Phil 2:11 who do people in effect bend the knee to? Do you recall what I told you to remember, "no one comes to the Father except through who..." Does Jesus get the glory in Phil 2:11 or does the Father? The Father! So yes, God has sworn by himself, that he will be the one who ultimately is gloried who people bend the knee to.

Again, I'm not trying to insult, but if you actually believe the stuff you say, like the statement above, you're out of your mind. Lets see if you can answer the questions I've asked directly and honestly.

You have called Jehovah a liar here too. After the weekend I'll explain in full. You have a chance to catch your mistake.

- EE

Evil.Eye.<(I)>

BANNED
Banned
Stop patronizing.

giphy.gif

Bright Raven

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
If I remember correctly, you are in agreement with James White, who clarifies that he understands "One God" which has "three persons" to mean the same as "One Cat" of which there are many cat persons, or "One rock" when there are many different rocks.

At least I asked about that earlier when I was trying to find out the definition and meaning of Trinity in this context. Could you please clarify whether James White is correct in this matter?

I do not particularly agree with any person but on in what the Trinity is prescribed to be;

To see what I believe go to the follow; http://www.desiringgod.org/articles/what-is-the-doctrine-of-the-trinity

intojoy

BANNED
Banned
The Bible is clear that there is a plurality of the Godhead and that the plurality is limited to 3.

Sent from my iPhone using TOL

Rosenritter

I do not particularly agree with any person but on in what the Trinity is prescribed to be;

To see what I believe go to the follow; http://www.desiringgod.org/articles/what-is-the-doctrine-of-the-trinity

OK, I tried reading all of that and it seemed to double back on itself a few times. Rather than cross examine little details, I have a different question. Could there any practical difference in behavior that would likely and/or necessarily result someone that believed as described in the DesiringGood.org Trinity definition, compared to someone that might have a different understanding. Say, for example, someone that believed in a Septernity, a "God in Seven Persons" for example?

Please note that this is a hypothetical question. I picked "seven" because I can't think of anyone here that would apply to, so as not to target anyone.

Rosenritter

I can think of reasons just as valid for Seven as those that say Three.

The Bible is clear that there is a plurality of the Godhead and that the plurality is limited to 3.

Sent from my iPhone using TOL

Revelation 3:1 KJV
(1) And unto the angel of the church in Sardis write; These things saith he that hath the seven Spirits of God, and the seven stars; I know thy works, that thou hast a name that thou livest, and art dead.

Revelation 4:5 KJV
(5) And out of the throne proceeded lightnings and thunderings and voices: and there were seven lamps of fire burning before the throne, which are the seven Spirits of God.

Revelation 5:6 KJV
(6) And I beheld, and, lo, in the midst of the throne and of the four beasts, and in the midst of the elders, stood a Lamb as it had been slain, having seven horns and seven eyes, which are the seven Spirits of God sent forth into all the earth.

God is a Spirit, those that worship him must worship him in spirit and truth, and apparently God has seven spirits. One per person. See?

Nang

TOL Subscriber
I can think of reasons just as valid for Seven as those that say Three.

Revelation 3:1 KJV
(1) And unto the angel of the church in Sardis write; These things saith he that hath the seven Spirits of God, and the seven stars; I know thy works, that thou hast a name that thou livest, and art dead.

Revelation 4:5 KJV
(5) And out of the throne proceeded lightnings and thunderings and voices: and there were seven lamps of fire burning before the throne, which are the seven Spirits of God.

Revelation 5:6 KJV
(6) And I beheld, and, lo, in the midst of the throne and of the four beasts, and in the midst of the elders, stood a Lamb as it had been slain, having seven horns and seven eyes, which are the seven Spirits of God sent forth into all the earth.

God is a Spirit, those that worship him must worship him in spirit and truth, and apparently God has seven spirits. One per person. See?

These do not define the Godhead, but are revelations directed to the visible churches in all the earth, that have been given the Gospel of Jesus Christ. This is imagery of the Gospel's heavenly authority and power to save.

(Matthew 16:17-19)

Rosenritter

These do not define the Godhead, but are revelations directed to the visible churches in all the earth, that have been given the Gospel of Jesus Christ. This is imagery of the Gospel's heavenly authority and power to save.

(Matthew 16:17-19)

That is an interesting explanation, but does the Bible ever say "God is Three and is Limited to Three?" It doesn't, and that's what I'm getting at. By the same measure as one declares God is Three, there could just as easily be Seven or Twelve.

Nang

TOL Subscriber
That is an interesting explanation, but does the Bible ever say "God is Three and is Limited to Three?" It doesn't, and that's what I'm getting at. By the same measure as one declares God is Three, there could just as easily be Seven or Twelve.

One would have to search for more authorities than Christ named for baptizing disciples. Matthew 20:18-20

The only one I have heard speculation about, is Mary . . about whom I strongly disagree with the RCC.

Lon

The only problem is 'how' to take the passages. We know, from scriptures, that the Spirit is called God. The Son is called God, and the Father is called God. From the seven Spirits, we have no personality told. I'm not sure we've translated 'Spirit' [capital "S"] correctly in Revelation. To me, the candles and churches are God's candles and churches, therefore the 'spirits' of those seven churches are God's, not necessarily entities ,of, God, but rather spirits 'owned by Him' if you follow.

NWL

Are you addressing me there, or was that a rhetorical musing? I understand that you may have learned all sorts of anti-Trinity arguments and you're probably waiting for the chance to use them, but they don't have application here. I don't use Statements of Faith to dictate belief, and I don't answer to a council or a society. Please drop the "straw man argument" approach.

I will ask another time, please stop attempting to assign "Trinity" doctrine to me. It's a straw man argument. There's a poll above asking "Is the Trinity Biblical" and "is the Trinity taught in the Bible." I answered "no" and was even blocked by one of the die-hard Calvinist Trinitarians here because of that (though in all honesty, for anyone who would be that block-headed it's no big loss.)

When I made the statement "so that I could show you how none of the persons in the trinity", I wasn't bringing the trinity argument back into the picture, I was in effect just saying "neither the Father, Son or HS appeared". Since you believe in the trinity, (although you don't believe it is clearly expressed in scripture) I felt comfortable saying it in this manner.

Psalms 45:6-7 KJV

I am not familiar with the Jehovah's Witness argument concerning this passage. Which Israelite king is this supposed to apply to? If they "love righteousness, and hate wickedness" there's a limit on the pool of candidates right away. Which king was this?

The scripture do not directly say. Many scholars and people believe its in reference to Solomon.

Psalms 45:11 KJV
(11) So shall the king greatly desire thy beauty: for he is thy Lord; and worship thou him.

But that's not even what it says that it the version you posted. You're not reading it very closely. It says "king's daughters" are among they honorable women. Meaning that even the daughters of Kings are subservient to this Lord, of whom it says, they throne, O God, is for ever and ever. Here's your quote and the King James side by side:

The verse refers to the "daughters of the King", thus I understand that to mean the King had daughters.

Sometimes passages are written to where a casual or careless glance might mistake the subject of the prophecy for someone else. Don't get lost in the poetry, Paul assigned this Psalm to Jesus, and Paul didn't hesitate to acknowledge Jesus as God in other context as well. I think you are getting confused with the "physical rule" aspect because you may not be allowing God himself to return to establish physical rule over the earth again.

Are you sure you're reading everything I'm writing, because you're raising issues that aren't issues since I've already explained how they aren't issues. Paul assigned the verse to Jesus, that goes without saying. But like I explained in my last post to you, there have been many applications made to actual people in the OT that have a secondary application to Jesus, this though does not negate the initial application.

Look at Hebrews 1:5 where it states regarding Jesus "For example, to which one of the angels did God ever say: “You are my son; today I have become your father”? And again: “I will become his father, and he will become my son”". This is a direct quote that was applied to King David and then Kind Solomon after the death of King David. Does the secondary application to Jesus mean that the initial application to David, and then his Son, become void? No!

Likewise, the application of "God" in reference the King in Psalms 45:6 (not "God" in the almighty sense but rather secondary sense - 1 Cor 8:5) does not get pushed aside because it is applied to Jesus in Hebrews 1:8. As I mentioned in my last post, this would be "putting the cart before the horse".

For the sake of the board I will not cite all the verse to what I just claimed. To see the applications of Hebrews 1:4 applied to King David yourself, compare, Acts 4:24-26 with Davids words at Psalm 2:1-2,7. To see the application made to King Solomon review 2 Samuel 7:12-14; 1Chron 22:10; 28:6.

1 Timothy 3:16 KJV
(16) And without controversy great is the mystery of godliness: God was manifest in the flesh, justified in the Spirit, seen of angels, preached unto the Gentiles, believed on in the world, received up into glory.

You said the Bible never says God was manifest in the flesh. You were absolutely wrong and you knew better. But let's take a look at your reasoning why you think the King James doesn't represent the Bible.

When I said it I meant it in a general term according to the original languages, not according to the KJV which has been proven to contain spurious verses throughout according to the best available evidence.

First, I will clarify that I have already heard this argument of yours before, and I've seen the twists it has to take in the process. I'll summarize your argument, as I understand and anticipate it, just to save some time. It's been a few years since I visited this but it should have the general jist of things:

1) The founding premise is that you wish to say "the bible never calls Jesus God" and you can try to evade most of them by claiming most everyplace is "Jesus is speaking on behalf of God" but you have some pesky verses that say precisely that Jesus is God without any potential for wiggle room. The answer? Attack the text itself in those select locations.

2) The solution lies in that if you look long and hard enough, you can find a damaged or defective manuscript. These are very few in number: the last I checked I think they numbered at a grand total of four. Four versus how many now? Attention is diverted away from their tiny number with a heated ongoing argument about a fifth, over whether a line was actually added to strengthen a fading light mark or whether the documentation lied and it was added anew.

3) This minority flawed reading could be the results of age upon the documents, or it is possible that someone made a flawed copy on purpose. Early on Marcion "the heretic" was known for his propensity for "editing the scripture with a penknife" and the New World Translation also inserts the word "Jehovah in the New Testament without claiming even one piece of manuscript evidence, so anything remains a possibility.

4) Proponents of the flawed minority manuscript neglect to mention that their resulting reading is flawed, grammatically or in not making normal sense. "Great is the mystery of godliness, God was manifest in the flesh...." (majority text) makes sense because the mystery of God then explains about God. The flawed text that you prefer wouldn't make sense, "Indeed, the sacred secret of this godly devotion is admittedly great: 'He was made manifest in the flesh, ... " But who would "He" refer to? It would still be the subject of the previous verse, "God" (verse 15) and

5) Just to clarify, since you haven't defined this here, we are talking about whether a dash mark appears above one Greek letter, differentiating between whether the word is a pronoun "He" or designating the word for God, "Theos." Your argument also depends on the assumption that the original text was flawed, and a mass conspiracy long long ago endeavored to take this edit the word "He" out of our Bibles. It's actually far more likely that a light hand made a faded line or a tired copyist missed a single mark in these tiny few minority instances that you find so golden.

You failed with your first sentence "The founding premise is that you wish to say "the bible never calls Jesus God". I've never made such a statement or claim. No JW's or Christian would or should deny that Jesus is referred to as God in scripture, to do so would disregard Isaiah 9:6, Hebrews 1:8, John 20:28, John 1:1b along with a few others. The disagreement I have is the type of God Jesus is, hence out discussion with Hebrews 1:8 regards to Psalms 45:6.

One thing modern scholarly work know without doubt though, is that the evidence suggest the rendering of 1 Tim 3:16 in the KJV compared to the oldest manuscript evidence is plain wrong and spurious.

So you have an all-purpose escape to evade anything in Revelation? That you can break apart a statement said in a single breath into two parts, as soon as the speaker identifies himself for clarification? Brilliant, that would work on anything you wished. You have freedom to ignore the entire text that way.

Unless we assume that it was not His purpose to confuse us, but to clarify, and unless we assume that when Revelation uses identification, that it is for the purpose of identifying who has been speaking!

Invented? Read the book of revelation and you'll see it for yourself. This isn't something I or Jehovah's witnesses just made up buddy. Futhermore to say its an excuse to evade anything is ridiculous, since I made it explicitly clear it only applies when the use of "I [speakers name]" takes place. So I could hardly use to anywhere I wanted.

And this is to your benefit my friend, if it weren't then John in Rev 1:8,9 is the A&O if this rule doesn't exist.

"..I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the ending, saith the Lord, which is, and which was, and which is to come, the Almighty.I John, who also am your brother, and companion in tribulation, and in the kingdom and patience of Jesus Christ, was in the isle that is called Patmos, for the word of God, and for the testimony of Jesus Christ.." (Rev 1:8,9)

(Revelation 1:4, 5) "..John to the seven congregations that are in the province of Asia: May you have undeserved kindness and peace from “the One who is and who was and who is coming,” and from the seven spirits that are before his throne, 5 and from Jesus Christ.."

I'll ask you this, according to Rev 1:4,5 is Jesus separate from the "the One who is and who was and who is coming" who is the A&O of v8?
No, absolutely not. Verse seven defines Jesus Christ is to come with clouds, verse eight says that the Alpha and Omega is to come. I could see how one could not catch this if they weren't reading carefully, but the links are being made this early in the book already.

Now you're being plain dishonest Rosenritter. Are you telling me that "the One who is and who was and who is coming" in Rev 1:4 is the SAME person as Jesus christ mentioned in Rev 1:5 even though it CLEARLY differentiates them in the text. Please confirm this is what you're stating so that everyone can see your blatant dismissal of what is clearly stated. The verse again.

(Revelation 1:4, 5) "..John to the seven congregations that are in the province of Asia: May you have undeserved kindness and peace from “the One who is and who was and who is coming,” and from the seven spirits that are before his throne, 5 and from Jesus Christ.."

Once again, please confirm that according to you "Jesus" in v5 (highlighted in the red) is the same person as the “the One who is and who was and who is coming" in v4(highlighted in green) even though they are distinguished from each other.

Revelation 1:5-8 KJV
(5) And from Jesus Christ, who is the faithful witness, and the first begotten of the dead, and the prince of the kings of the earth. Unto him that loved us, and washed us from our sins in his own blood,
(6) And hath made us kings and priests unto God and his Father; to him be glory and dominion for ever and ever. Amen.
(7) Behold, he cometh with clouds; and every eye shall see him, and they also which pierced him: and all kindreds of the earth shall wail because of him. Even so, Amen.
(8) I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the ending, saith the Lord, which is, and which was, and which is to come, the Almighty.

Why does it say "and which is to come" unless he was coming in the future?

I already told you that often in the bible that the bible writers often switched from person to person without indication, this is not a made up fact. The book Revelation is not an expectation to this fact. Read Isaiah 10:4-7 and see how the speaker switches between himself and God without warning. Look at Rev 22:11,12 and see how the Angel is speaking in v11 and it switch to the A&O speaking in v12 without warning, this happens throughout the Bible, these were two examples I could think off from the top of my head whilst writing this.

The phrase “is to come” is often taken out of context of what is said in v8 and associated with the word “coming” in v7, thus giving the inference that both are speaking of the same “coming”.

You need to remember throughout the book or revelation Jesus is distinguished from "God". It is “God” who gives the revelation to “Jesus Christ” according to Rev 1:1. “Jesus Christ”, in turn gives the revelation to his servants by means of John, "A revelation by Jesus Christ, which God gave him to show his slaves the things that must shortly take place. And he sent his angel and presented it in signs through him to his slave John.." (Revelation 1:1)

As already shown, Jesus is further distinguished from "the One who is and who was and who is coming" in v4 and we know the identity of "the One who is and who was and who is coming" is the A&O according to Rev 1:8. Since the "the One who is and who was and who is coming", who is the A&O, is referred to as God in v8, and we know that Jesus, according to Rev 1:1,5 is distinguished from the God mentioned in v1 and the "the One who is and who was and who is coming" in v4,5, then Jesus is NOT the one speaking in Rev 1:8. This is undeniable.

Revelation 1:11-18 KJV[/B]
Speakers were swapped between verses 17 and 18? Really? I now switch from heavy sarcasm to disbelief and/or mocking. Is the JW Statement of Faith worth a denial of plain scripture? I keep hearing arguments like "the scripture never says" or an implied "if the scripture said it I would believe it" but when we have statements that are impossible to evade, it seems that there's always plain out denial to fall back on...

Again, stop ONLY using the KJV. Rev 1:11 is spurious in the KJV. The rendering "I am Alpha and Omega, the first and the last: and," is not found in virtually any NT Greek texts. Overwhelming textual evidence shows that John did not originally write the phrase, "saying, I am Alpha and Omega, the first and the last". Hence the reason why virtually no Bible other than the KJV has that rendering.

There are only three pre-ninth century Greek MSS which attest to this passage [Rev. 1:11], and all three of them omit the phrase "I am Alpha and Omega, the first and the last." In addition, many later MSS and versions also omit. Hodges and Farstad's "Majority" text omits, and Robinson and Pierpont's "Byzantine/Majority" text omits. Thus whether one bases one's text largely on pre-ninth century MSS, or whether one bases one's text on the Majority of Greek MSS, either way, this phrase should be omitted.​

The number one rule in textual criticism is that the older reading is to be preferred. All manuscripts older than the majority texts have NO mention of the A&O in Rev 1:11. The Majority texts don't even have the rendering on second thought!

Why is it again you see the KJV as the best translation?

As I said, there are only two scriptures in Revelation where it directly has Jesus saying he is the first and the last, namely, Rev 1:17,18 and Rev 2:8. On both of these occasions him being the first and the last is in reference to head death and resurrection, it has nothing to do with the terms "A&O" found in revelation pertaining to God.

May I suggest something? Accept the scripture when it speaks plainly and with force, and apply that backwards instead of relying on previous prejudice. If Jesus is the LORD God Almighty, as he says here, the rest makes sense based on that premise.

Try it! Try believing the Bible here where it speaks plainly. You won't have to make weird constructs to evade what it says in other places.

I will and already do. In the case with Rev 1:11, the A&O and first and the last in it is spurious, so I can't.

That is the predictable Jehovah's Witness response. However, how do you explain for what reason Moses changed this person's original name from Oshea to Joshua (or in the Greek, Jesus?) When it was this Joshua (Jesus) that was sent before them to bring them into the Amorites, the Hittites, and so forth, and it was this human messenger that they were to obey his voice and do in all that the LORD would speak? Remember, you yourself said that "angel" can have a broader meaning rather than a created spirit.

Exodus 23:20-21 KJV
(20) Behold, I send an Angel before thee, to keep thee in the way, and to bring thee into the place which I have prepared.
(21) Beware of him, and obey his voice, provoke him not; for he will not pardon your transgressions: for my name is in him.

If I were to guess, I would suggest you would say Moses changed the name for no known reason, and it's pure coincidence. Let's leave it there for you. This is one of the many items that dovetails in with hindsight, not an actual proof by itself.

No, but I believe he changed it for good reason, but to suggest that Joshua was the angel simply because Moses changed his name to Joshua(Jesus in the LXX) over the many instances that God referred to angel "going ahead of Israel" and those angels represented actual angels is weak. I simply don't see the name change as viable evidence over all those scriptural occurrences.

If you are asking for speculation, I might say this. In our real world, when fathers physically descend from sons, one might eventually send their son to deal on their behalf. That son would be treated with the respect normally shown to that original father, but given time that son actually succeeds the father, the father dies, and that son inherits all and takes that father's place. He takes on his father's name and becomes the father. There always remains one patriarch.

I don't think anyone takes "Father" and "Son" in the literal sense, no matter what tradition they come from. The Jews didn't take it literally, I don't take it literally, you don't take it literally. We aren't debating whether a metaphor exists, we are discussing what the metaphor must mean.

When you say Jews I'm assuming you mean the Jews who accepted Jesus as the Son of God? If so you are incorrect, you're incorrect in either aspect. The unbelieving Jews even tried to stone Jesus because he taught he was literally God son and that God was his Father, Jesus himself remember referred to God to the equivalent of "daddy" in English, they very much had a father son relationship, this cannot be denied.

(Mark 14:36) "..And he [Jesus] said: “Abba, Father.>"

(John 10:33-36) "..Jesus answered them: “Is it not written in your Law, ‘I said: “You are gods”’? 35 If he called ‘gods’ those against whom the word of God came—and yet the scripture cannot be nullified— 36 do you say to me whom the Father sanctified and sent into the world, ‘You blaspheme,’ because I said, ‘I am God’s Son’?.."

(John 5:18) "..This is why the Jews began seeking all the more to kill him, because not only was he breaking the Sabbath but he was also calling God his own Father, making himself equal to God.."

No, it continues to make sense. What might be confusing you is that I often speak of Jesus as being past, present, and future, and then sometimes I speak of Jesus as within the confines of when he walked on earth until 30 AD. The same confusion might enter with Melchizdek: he was present for Abraham during one time, but in the sense that this Melchizadek was the Son of God, ultimately eternal, without beginning or end of days, he abideth still. The language will change depending on how far you zoom in or out.

Explain how Jesus is "another" Priest!? What you're saying still makes no sense, If Jesus was simply taking the rains again, becoming Melchizedek, then it makes no sense to say he became "another" priest. You still have not addressed this. if Jesus came back tomorrow I wouldn't say he "became" Jesus again, or became "another" King, since he never stopped being Jesus or a King. Melchizedek, to you, never stopped being a priest. Furthermore, Abraham didn't write Hebrews did Paul did, thus it makes no sense for Paul to write as if he is Abraham for him to state Jesus became "another" priest. You're assuming Paul wrote in a certain way just to fit your belief system, that my friend is twisting scripture, you're in effect saying "even though Paul said A what he really meant was B", where is you're evidence to suggest Paul wrote with this thought in mind.

As already mentioned other translations and scholars understand the language in Hebrews 7 to be conveying the idea that "No one knows anything about Melchizedek's father, mother, or ancestors. No one knows when he was born or when he died." (Hebrews 7:3 GWT).

You told me to take scripture for what it says, right now you're trying to twist an idea int scripture that simply isn't there. Scripture states that Melchizedek was a priest for "forever", according to you that was litreal, scripture states Jesus became "another" priest like Melchizedek. Thus if you take scripture for what it says Jesus is not Melchizedek.

NWL said:
For clarifications sake, are you saying that the "Jehovah who rained down fire from heaven from Jehovah" was in reference to the two Angels in Sodom?
No. I will suppose it is possible that God handed these two angels (or perhaps many others) a flaming chunk of brimstone and had everyone pitch at one time, but that wasn't my first impression. They may represent God but they do not call themselves God, and the text says the angels spoke, not the LORD.
Please answer plainly without an escape clause ("may"), were the angels represented as Jehovah according to the scripture I cited (Genesis 19:24), yay or nay?

You haven't shown that the two angels were called Jehovah. You showed that the two angels were on the special scout task force on behalf of Jehovah, but even then they referred to Jehovah in the third person as if he weren't present at the time. Contrasting this to the previous chapter, that further reinforces that Jehovah actually spoke to Abraham.

This is still being established, you yourself just said "They may represent God", or to paraphrase, the angels may be representatives of Jehovah.

Yes, you still need to worry about that. Even the added "now" of your version does not mean "never before in any other form."

Let's diagram this for a moment. "God hath in these last days spoken to us by his Son" does not preclude God speaking to us in other ways before."

Similarly, "God spake in time past unto the fathers by the prophets" does not preclude him speaking to men other than the fathers and by ways other than the prophets. Was Pharaoh one of the fathers? Did God speak to Necho king of Egypt when he chose? Was he restricted by only speaking to the fathers by the prophets?

You're missing bits out, these are the important bits:

Long ago God spoke to our forefathers by means of the prophets on many occasions and in many ways.
Important words:Long ago, God spoke, forefathers, many occasions in many ways

at the end of these days he has spoken to us by means his Son
Important words:at the end of these days, spoken, by his Son

Remember we're talking about God speaking to the Israelites/Hebrews here, not any other person or nation. It clearly states that God "long ago" spoke to Jewish forefaher, but, at the end of these days, that being in the 1CE, he spoke by means of his Son.

The clause that's most important is "at the end of these days", with the context being that in the 1CE God spoke by means of his Son. Now lets shorten the verse leaving out the parts that don't change the meaning.

"Long ago God spoke to our forefathers by means of the prophets...in these last days has spoken to us by his Son"

It should be clear to anyone, that if God spoke by means of Jesus in the OT that he would be included in "long ago" part of the verse, he's not, because God spoke by means of Jesus in the last days (in other words the 1CE).

Last edited:

Rosenritter

I personally think that those seven spirits are seven specific angels, but how could we know for sure?

My point being that if someone wants to be adamant that "God is only three persons" I would say "How do you know that?" because if one starts defining God thus, scripture doesn't say "God is only three persons" and even if "three persons" was assumed, there isn't an upper limit set for adding on more persons, etc etc etc. Just because you don't know of it now doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

This isn't my difficulty, I am content to say "There is One God, and when he was manifest in the flesh we called him Jesus."

The only problem is 'how' to take the passages. We know, from scriptures, that the Spirit is called God. The Son is called God, and the Father is called God. From the seven Spirits, we have no personality told. I'm not sure we've translated 'Spirit' [capital "S"] correctly in Revelation. To me, the candles and churches are God's candles and churches, therefore the 'spirits' of those seven churches are God's, not necessarily entities ,of, God, but rather spirits 'owned by Him' if you follow.