The Trinity

The Trinity

• Total voters

Rosenritter

You are a modalist. Thanks for saying so. Check out the definition.

Modalism
Modalism, also called Sabellianism, is the unorthodox belief that God is one person who has revealed himself in three forms or modes in contrast to the Trinitarian doctrine where God is one being eternally existing in three persons. According to Modalism, during the incarnation, Jesus was simply God acting in one mode or role, and the Holy Spirit at Pentecost was God acting in a different mode. Thus, God does not exist as the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit at the same time. Rather, He is one person and has merely manifested himself in these three modes at various times. Modalism thus denies the basic distinctiveness and coexistence of the three persons of the Trinity.

Modalism was condemned by Tertullian (c. 213, Tertullian Against Praxeas 1, in Ante Nicene Fathers, vol. 3). Also known as Sabellianism, it was condemned as heresy by Dionysius, bishop of Rome (c. 262).

Modalism is probably the most common theological error concerning the nature of God (i.e., who God is). "Present day groups that hold to forms of this error are the United Pentecostal and United Apostolic Churches. They deny the Trinity, teach that the name of God is Jesus... modalist churches often accuse Trinitarians of teaching three gods. This is not what the Trinity is. The correct teaching of the Trinity is one God in three eternal coexistent persons: The Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit." [1]

Ever read anything that Tertullian wrote? Like his essay "Against Praxaes?" I did once. Not in the original language mind you, I read a translation of it in English. Never did hear what Praxaes had to say, but what Tertullian had to say was raving and on and on claiming that Praxaes had "banished the Holy Spirit" from the city.

Seems that Tertullian had this fascination with a local cult leader who roamed about with his henchmen, who would "speak in tongues" and claim that they were possessed by the Holy Spirit, as in saying "I am the Holy Spirit." And Praxaes, and seems also the rest of the sensible Christian community, had told these pretenders that claimed they were God that they needed to leave. And Tertullian was furious, being an admirer of the cult.

Tertullian later left and joined the Montanist heresy. An interesting ending for the founder of Trinitarianism. And it really doesn't give his condemnation of others much weight. And from what I read of Tertullian, I didn't get the impression that he was the type of level-headed guy that would fairly represent his opponent.

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
He's the son of the living God. As he said himself.

The apostles still called him the son of God and said that God was the God of Jesus even after the resurrection.

He's only above the angels because God exhalted him. God wouldn't have needed to exalt Jesus if Jesus was God himself. And God is the head of Christ. So he is above him as Christ is the head of us and is above us.

You didn't answer the question. What type of being is Jesus at this time, right now?

God's Truth

Show us scripture that states God made Himself a body.

Colossians 1:15 The Son is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn over all creation.

Colossians 1:16 For in him all things were created: things in heaven and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or powers or rulers or authorities; all things have been created through him and for him.

Read these scriptures:

John 17:5 And now, Father, glorify me in your presence with the glory I had with you before the world began.

John 17:24 "Father, I want those you have given me to be with me where I am, and to see my glory, the glory you have given me because you loved me before the creation of the world.

Jesus was going to the Father and was going to have a glorified resurrected body, the same he had BEFORE coming to earth.

God's Truth

Joh 8:58 Jesus said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Before Abraham was, I am.

No, I know Jesus is God. You do not get it. Apple7 is asking for the scripture that says this exactly: I am God the Father.

He should know better than to expect that when Jesus doesn't even say exactly "I am God".

steko

LIFETIME MEMBER
Jesus was going to the Father and was going to have a glorified resurrected body, the same he had BEFORE coming to earth.

GOD the WORD did not have a glorified resurrected body before He was resurrected from the grave after dying on the cross. He still has the same body which He was incarnated in in Bethlehem, but it is now resurrected and glorified. He is still man and GOD.
He is Theanthropos, the GOD/man.

God's Truth

GOD the WORD did not have a glorified resurrected body before He was resurrected from the grave after dying on the cross.
Jesus is called the First and the Last at the same time. Jesus has the first resurrected body that we have last. Jesus says he will have the same glory he had with God before coming to earth.
He still has the same body which He was incarnated in in Bethlehem, but it is now resurrected and glorified. He is still man and GOD.

Again...the same GLORY he had before.