the three johns

Wick Stick

John the Baptist? I haven't followed your threads on the Apocalypse until recently, but it seems to me that chronology would make that... difficult.

Did you have something besides the shared use of "lamb?" The identification of a lamb in Revelation is (my opinion) based on astronomy, which the book seems to use a lot of. The constellation we call Ursa Minor was anciently interpreted as a lamb in some places (presumably bears were not prevalent in Palestine). Nearby is the constellation Cepheus, which is a king seated on his throne. A lamb in front of a throne, literally in the heavens. But enough of the digression...

Multiple authorship is a good guess. You can't have an Apocalypse, without first having an Apocryphon.

Next questions - who wrote the original apocryphon? who wrote the revealing (apocalupto!) thereof?

Wick Stick

So why three?

One to write the apocryphon.
One to write the apocalypse thereof.

What's the third John do? Cheerleader?

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
So why three?

One to write the apocryphon.
One to write the apocalypse thereof.

What's the third John do? Cheerleader?

there are three johns mentioned in the first chapter

john the baptist wrote the first to prepare the way
john the apostle may have added the seven churches
john chrysostom added something to make sure it was included in the bible

daqq

there are three johns mentioned in the first chapter

john the baptist wrote the first to prepare the way
john the apostle may have added the seven churches
john chrysostom added something to make sure it was included in the bible

This is somewhat perplexing. So you do not think John Chrysostom would have minded having the plagues written in the book added unto himself for adding to the book? Or is that one of the portions you think he may have added? No Chrysostom, no Apostle, only the Immerser, (and it is a body-temple template: if your right eye offends you, remove his luchnion-lamp) for Yochanan was the luchnos burning and shining, (John 5:35). :)

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
This is somewhat perplexing. So you do not think John Chrysostom would have minded having the plagues written in the book added unto himself for adding to the book?

Revelation 22:18King James Version (KJV)

18 For I testify unto every man that heareth the words of the prophecy of this book, If any man shall add unto these things, God shall add unto him the plagues that are written in this book:

this is for people like you and me
but
not for john chrysostom

only a few are great
only a few are elected
and
the least we can do is recognize them

daqq

Revelation 22:18King James Version (KJV)

18 For I testify unto every man that heareth the words of the prophecy of this book, If any man shall add unto these things, God shall add unto him the plagues that are written in this book:

this is for people like you and me
but
not for john chrysostom

only a few are great
only a few are elected
and
the least we can do is recognize them

How is it you speak for John Chrysostom so knowingly? I can only speak for myself and what is written as it is written. Once the seven pleges-strokes are poured out nothing can kill you anymore. :)

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
How is it you speak for John Chrysostom so knowingly? I can only speak for myself and what is written as it is written. Once the seven pleges-strokes are poured out nothing can kill you anymore. :)

I have read about john chrysostom
at the end of the fourth century
he was in ephesus for about three months
replacing exactly seven corrupt bishops
he had plenty of time to go over the existing apocalypse
just prior to jerome's latin translation

I know what is written
the second death can kill you
it is the death of your soul

daqq

I know what is written
the second death can kill you
it is the death of your soul

Matthew 16:24-28
24. Then said Yeshua unto his disciples, If any man will come after me, let him utterly forsake himself, and take up his stake, and follow me.
25. For whosoever will save his soul shall apollumi-destoy her: and whosoever will apollumi-destroy his soul for my sake shall find her.
26. For what is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and forfeit his own soul? or what shall a man give in exchange for his soul?
27. For the Son of man shall come in the glory of his Father with his angels; and then he shall reward every man according to his works.
28. Verily I say unto you, There be some standing here, which shall not taste of death, till they see the Son of man coming in his kingdom.

And the Son of man casts out devils by the Finger of Elohim when he comes:

Luke 11:20
20. But if I with the Finger of Elohim cast out daimonia: no doubt the kingdom of Elohim is come upon you!

For the same reason the Son of Elohim and High Priest after the order of Melki-Tzedek has in his right hand the seven stars which are the seven angels:

Leviticus 16:14-17
14. And he shall take of the blood of the bullock, and sprinkle it with his finger upon the mercy seat eastward; and before the mercy seat shall he sprinkle of the blood with his finger seven times.
15. Then shall he kill the goat of the sin offering, that is for the people, and bring his blood within the vail, and do with that blood as he did with the blood of the bullock, and sprinkle it upon the mercy seat, and before the mercy seat:
16. And he shall make an atonement for the holy place, because of the uncleanness of the children of Israel, and because of their transgressions in all their sins: and so shall he do for the tabernacle of the congregation, that remaineth among them in the midst of their uncleanness.
17. And there shall be no man in the tabernacle of the congregation when he goeth in to make an atonement in the holy place, [Rev 15:8] until he come out, and have made an atonement for himself, and for his household, and for all the congregation of Israel.

Those dying the second death are not cleansed, (Lev 16, Rev 15 & 16).
Every man has a temple of the tabernacle of the testimony, (Lev 16:16-17, Rev 15:5-8).

1Mind1Spirit

Literal lunatic
Matthew 16:24-28
24. Then said Yeshua unto his disciples, If any man will come after me, let him utterly forsake himself, and take up his stake, and follow me.
25. For whosoever will save his soul shall apollumi-destoy her: and whosoever will apollumi-destroy his soul for my sake shall find her.
26. For what is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and forfeit his own soul? or what shall a man give in exchange for his soul?
27. For the Son of man shall come in the glory of his Father with his angels; and then he shall reward every man according to his works.
28. Verily I say unto you, There be some standing here, which shall not taste of death, till they see the Son of man coming in his kingdom.

And the Son of man casts out devils by the Finger of Elohim when he comes:

Luke 11:20
20. But if I with the Finger of Elohim cast out daimonia: no doubt the kingdom of Elohim is come upon you!

For the same reason the Son of Elohim and High Priest after the order of Melki-Tzedek has in his right hand the seven stars which are the seven angels:

Leviticus 16:14-17
14. And he shall take of the blood of the bullock, and sprinkle it with his finger upon the mercy seat eastward; and before the mercy seat shall he sprinkle of the blood with his finger seven times.
15. Then shall he kill the goat of the sin offering, that is for the people, and bring his blood within the vail, and do with that blood as he did with the blood of the bullock, and sprinkle it upon the mercy seat, and before the mercy seat:
16. And he shall make an atonement for the holy place, because of the uncleanness of the children of Israel, and because of their transgressions in all their sins: and so shall he do for the tabernacle of the congregation, that remaineth among them in the midst of their uncleanness.
17. And there shall be no man in the tabernacle of the congregation when he goeth in to make an atonement in the holy place, [Rev 15:8] until he come out, and have made an atonement for himself, and for his household, and for all the congregation of Israel.

Those dying the second death are not cleansed, (Lev 16, Rev 15 & 16).
Every man has a temple of the tabernacle of the testimony, (Lev 16:16-17, Rev 15:5-8).

As the temple was still standing, I wonder if this is why Paul could not speak of the mercy seat.

Or maybe he knew nobody get's it until it happens.

Just like now, only those who have been there can truly be a comfort to one another.

daqq

As the temple was still standing, I wonder if this is why Paul could not speak of the mercy seat.

The Mercy Seat was not in the second Temple because Jeremiah hid it in the grotto, under Olivet, in the sides of the north, (Lev 1:11, Eze 8:3-6, Eze 40:2, Heb 13:10-13). :)

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
We shall begin to study John's Gospel next Wednesday at Church. I'm looking forward to gain some insights! We have a retired Canadian Episcopal Priest as our leader. So far he has been a font of knowledge.

pay attention to john the baptist
who
knew the Lamb of God was coming
but
didn't know it was Jesus
and
pay attention to the use of the word lamb in rev 5