The Slaying of Reformed Theology (Calvinism)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crucible

BANNED
Banned
Lol, my "canon" includes a whole lot more than yours does and all of mine is in agreement.
The same is not possible with your exclusive privately held doctrines of man.
Making bold unfounded statements only reveals your inadequacy.

Your canon is either the one with or without the books a pope inserted in it.

You and Evil Eye want to double team every statement I make on here because you're both just feeding off your shared arbitrary nonsense and unfounded prejudice.

You don't believe in a sovereign God- your interpretation does not begin there, it begins with your convenience and free will. And that is why Calvinism is offensive to you, just like an atheist and the very concept of God :wave:

Evil.Eye.<(I)>

BANNED
Banned
Even more but there is no point in bringing any of that into a discussion with those who would not accept any of it as evidence anyways. The point was that he imagines his own mother church giving him his "canon" while in reality it was his mother church who also tried to stamp out part of my canon because it disagreed with a newly forming set of doctrines. Albeit I can still maintain everything I understand to be true from the commonly accepted canon, as shown herein above, and yet he cannot even defend what he believes from the same, which he claims his mother church delivered to us all. Remember this: in the beginning of his mother church no private citizen was even allowed to have a so-called canon in their own possession. Thus his mother church has indeed given him what she has decided he can lay his eyes upon, (and nothing more, lol). :)

I fully understand. I know that the early church had the manuscripts in their text that were kept outside of the temple scripture area, before the temples full destruction. (Herod's temple). Yet, those outer manuscripts were books the early church used.

They simply were left out of the 66 for strongest, Scriptural defense. People died over that stuff! But, for debates sake and easiest assertion, the 66 are solid. I fully agree with your assertions.

Last edited:

Evil.Eye.<(I)>

BANNED
Banned

You and Evil Eye want to double team every statement I make on here because you're both just feeding off your shared arbitrary nonsense and unfounded prejudice.

You don't believe in a sovereign God- your interpretation does not begin there, it begins with your convenience and free will. And that is why Calvinism is offensive to you, just like an atheist and the very concept of God :wave:

Question unanswered #717 link

Evil.Eye.<(I)>

BANNED
Banned
Almost all will approach scripture with some form of lens or system. In and of itself, that is a good thing; no need to reinvent. Of course there should be the provision and desire to allow for changes as needed. It seems to me that Reformed folk have our lenses front and center with presuppositions and biases well known and both loved and hated.

I can't think of any Calvinist who would argue against your points 5 and 6. We, of course, believe that God is Love.

How is that checkmate?

Interesting...

2 questions.

1) Is the Bible insufficient to understand the mystery of Jesus, Father and Holy Spirit?
2) Do you believe in pre-destination?

Answer honestly and I will walk you through the process. I'm not certain if you are actually Reformed. We will see.

Evil.Eye.<(I)>

BANNED
Banned
I'm not quite sure what you take of me here. My first inkling is that you think I am Roman Catholic...

And this makes only strengthens that suspicion. If that is the case, I am quite surprised - I'm not sure what would have given you that idea. I am not, nor have I ever been Roman Catholic. But perhaps something I said...(certainly not the William Tyndale avatar!).

Displeasure is possible, but if truth is the goal then that is a price to be paid. Having said that, offense is not likely. I can assure you that few things in this context will offend me. I don't know you (I don't think) and you don't know me and virtual anonymity can lead to misjudgments. All that there is to judge here are another's words. And if they are true, then let them stand (come what may).

As above, I take online posting for what it is - a perfect venue for a test of ideas. The absence of context and knowing personally who you are conversing with on a forum means that certain things usually taken for granted are missing - but it also means that it is easier to block out the "who" and focus on the "what". That's part of why I don't take much too personally. That said, I hasten to reiterate that truth spoken in love is the only guiding principle. My reactions shouldn't determine what you say or don't say (and this is an area in which I admittedly do not excel).

That may be so. Bear in mind that I am not as steeped in the Reformed doctrines as most are here. At least not formally...

Rotfl... egg on my face

I was rushing and now know how I made the mistake. I just re read your initial response to me and caught your avatar reference.

#I was blind

daqq

So now you want to jump over to free will? What happens when all of your golden tulips are ground into powder? Grace is not just a "free gift" but a δωρεα-δωρον-offering; and that means it is a freewill offering having been freely offered up by and through Messiah Yeshua who gave that Testimony willingly from his heart, even though he received his Testimony from above and it was not his own, (and he received it without measure, John 3:27-36), and even though he knew it would cost him his life. No one coerced Yeshua to offer up his Testimony so that we by way of it might be delivered: it is a freewill offering of his own volition. Neither was he coerced into going to Golgotha as his prayers in Gethsemane plainly show when he prays to the Father, saying, "Father, if thou be willing, remove this cup from me; nevertheless not my will, but thine, be done." But there was no other way, (and it cannot be that a Prophet perish out of Jerusalem, Luke 13:33), so even though it was not his own will or desire, knowing what he was about to endure, he did it out of love; not just for his own so that his own may have and hear the truth, but even for all the world in that his holy Testimony should be signed, sealed, and delivered up in his own blood for an everlasting covenant for all people and for all time, (all those willing to become his disciples and consume all of his holy Testimony which is spiritual food). Without the αιρεσις-freewill-choice voluntary offering and the σωτηριον-peace offering you have nothing. Because the Torah through Moshe was given; the grace and the truth through Messiah Yeshua came to be, (John 1:17).

daqq

As per the previous post please consider the following implications:

Leviticus 23:38 KJV (Hebrew Text)
38 Beside the sabbaths of the LORD, and beside your gifts, and beside all your vows, and beside all your freewill offerings, which ye give unto the LORD.

Leviticus 23:38 LXX-Septuagint Brenton Translation
38 besides the sabbaths of the Lord, and besides your gifts, and besides all your vows, and besides your free-will-offerings,
[G1595 εκουσιων] which ye shall give to the Lord.

Leviticus 23:38 LXX-Septuagint
38 πλην των σαββατων κυριου και πλην των δοματων υμων και πλην πασων των ευχων υμων και πλην των εκουσιων υμων α αν δωτε τω κυριω

εκουσιον G1595 hekousion = willing offering - voluntary offering - freewill offering

Leviticus 22:18 KJV (Hebrew Text)
18 Speak unto Aaron, and to his sons, and unto all the children of Israel, and say unto them, Whatsoever he be of the house of Israel, or of the strangers in Israel, that will offer his oblation for all his vows, and for all his freewill offerings, which they will offer unto the LORD for a burnt offering;

Leviticus 22:18 LXX-Septuagint Brenton Translation
18 Speak to Aaron and his sons, and to all the congregation of Israel, and thou shalt say to them, Any man of the children of Israel, or of the strangers that abide among them in Israel, who shall offer his gifts
[G1435 δωρα] according to all their confession and according to all their choice, [G139 αιρεσιν - freewill "choice" offering] whatsoever they may bring to the Lord for whole-burnt-offerings -

Leviticus 22:18 LXX-Septuagint Greek Text
18 λαλησον ααρων και τοις υιοις αυτου και παση συναγωγη ισραηλ και ερεις προς αυτους ανθρωπος ανθρωπος απο των υιων ισραηλ η των υιων των προσηλυτων των προσκειμενων προς αυτους εν ισραηλ ος αν προσενεγκη τα δωρα αυτου κατα πασαν ομολογιαν αυτων η κατα πασαν αιρεσιν αυτων οσα αν προσενεγκωσιν τω θεω εις ολοκαυτωμα

δωρα G1435 doron = oblation "gift" offering, (grace by the δωρον-gift-offering of Elohim, Eph 2:8)
αιρεσιν G139 hairesis = freewill "choice" offering, (the same from where comes "heretic")

Leviticus 22:21 KJV (Hebrew Text)
21 And whosoever offereth a sacrifice of peace offerings unto the LORD to accomplish his vow, or a freewill offering in beeves or sheep, it shall be perfect to be accepted; there shall be no blemish therein.

Leviticus 22:21 LXX-Septuagint Brenton translation
21 And whatsoever man shall offer a peace-offering
[G4992 σωτηριου] to the Lord, discharging a vow, or in the way of free-will-offering, [G139 αιρεσιν] or an offering in your feasts, of the herds or of the sheep, it shall be without blemish for acceptance: there shall be no blemish in it.

Leviticus 22:21 LXX-Septuagint Greek Text
21 και ανθρωπος ος αν προσενεγκη θυσιαν σωτηριου τω κυριω διαστειλας ευχην κατα αιρεσιν η εν ταις εορταις υμων εκ των βουκολιων η εκ των προβατων αμωμον εσται εις δεκτον πας μωμος ουκ εσται εν αυτω

αιρεσιν G139 hairesis = freewill "choice" offering ("choice" made by the one who offers)
σωτηριου G4992 soterion = "peace-offering" = N/T SALVATION (for example Luke 2:30)

Luke 2:30 W/H
30 οτι ειδον οι οφθαλμοι μου το σωτηριον σου
30 For my eyes have seen Your soterion-peace-offering-salvation.

It absolutely has to be a freewill offering and a soterion-peace offering, (a Ram).

Crucible

BANNED
Banned
So now you want to jump over to free will? What happens when all of your golden tulips are ground into powder? Grace is not just a "free gift" but a δωρεα-δωρον-offering; and that means it is a freewill offering having been freely offered up by and through Messiah Yeshua who gave that Testimony willingly from his heart, even though he received his Testimony from above and it was not his own, (and he received it without measure, John 3:27-36), and even though he knew it would cost him his life. No one coerced Yeshua to offer up his Testimony so that we by way of it might be delivered: it is a freewill offering of his own volition. Neither was he coerced into going to Golgotha as his prayers in Gethsemane plainly show when he prays to the Father, saying, "Father, if thou be willing, remove this cup from me; nevertheless not my will, but thine, be done." But there was no other way, (and it cannot be that a Prophet perish out of Jerusalem, Luke 13:33), so even though it was not his own will or desire, knowing what he was about to endure, he did it out of love; not just for his own so that his own may have and hear the truth, but even for all the world in that his holy Testimony should be signed, sealed, and delivered up in his own blood for an everlasting covenant for all people and for all time, (all those willing to become his disciples and consume all of his holy Testimony which is spiritual food). Without the αιρεσις-freewill-choice voluntary offering and the σωτηριον-peace offering you have nothing. Because the Torah through Moshe was given; the grace and the truth through Messiah Yeshua came to be, (John 1:17).

I have stated repeatedly that Calvinism is not a rejection of free will, it is exposition on predestination- you know, the myriads of times 'predestination', 'foreknowledge', 'Elect', 'preordained'- all these words which etch the Bible, whose passages you don't touch :chuckle:

Instead, you find a couple things speaking of free will and all of sudden the entire Bible must conform to it- your theology is sorry- it is exactly what I've stated it to be and nothing in your post changes that :wave2:

daqq

I have stated repeatedly that Calvinism is not a rejection of free will, it is exposition on predestination- you know, the myriads of times 'predestination', 'foreknowledge', 'Elect', 'Preordained'- all these words which etch they Bible, whose passages you don't touch :chuckle:

Instead, you find a couple things speaking of free will and all of sudden the entire Bible must conform to it- this i saw your theology is sorry- it is exactly what I've stated it to be and nothing in your post changes that :wave2:

One is predestined, foreordained, and foreknown from the time one first believes, just as Paul says. In Romans 8:23 he mentions "the firstfruits of the Spirit" and in other places plainly says that we receive "the earnest" of the Spirit. This "earnest" is the Testimony of Yeshua which is the Spirit of Grace, (because he paid for that Testimony with his own life and blood). The Testimony of Yeshua is therefore like an upfront earnest or down-payment on a house for the purchase-buyback or redemption thereof at a later date.

2 Corinthians 1:21-22 KJV
21 Now he which stablisheth us with you in Christ, and hath anointed us, is God;
22 Who hath also sealed us, and given the earnest of the Spirit in our hearts.

Ephesians 1:11-14 KJV
11 In whom also we have obtained an inheritance, being predestinated according to the purpose of him who worketh all things after the counsel of his own will:
12 That we should be to the praise of his glory, who first trusted in Christ.
13 In whom ye also trusted, after that ye heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation:
in whom also after that ye believed, ye were sealed with that holy Spirit of promise,
Which is the earnest of our inheritance until the redemption of the purchased possession, unto the praise of his glory.

As for Romans 8 was it not already mentioned what is necessary according to Paul?
These things must first be active in your walk and must be true of yourself:

Romans 8:4-14
4 That the righteousness of the law might be fulfilled in us, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit.
5 For they that are after the flesh do mind the things of the flesh; but they that are after the Spirit the things of the Spirit.
6 For to be carnally minded is death; but to be spiritually minded is life and peace.
7 Because the carnal mind
[Esau-man] is enmity against God: for it is not subject to the law of God, neither indeed can be.
8 So then they that are in the flesh cannot please God.
9 But ye are not in the flesh, but in the Spirit, if so be that the Spirit of God dwell in you. Now if any man have not the Spirit of Christ,
[the Testimony of Yeshua] he is none of his.
10 And if Christ be in you, the body is dead because of sin; but the Spirit is life because of righteousness.
11 But if the Spirit of him that raised up Jesus from the dead dwell in you, he that raised up Christ from the dead shall also quicken your mortal bodies by his Spirit that dwelleth in you.
12 Therefore, brethren, we are debtors, not to the flesh, to live after the flesh.
13 For if ye live after the flesh,
[Esau-man] ye shall die: but if ye through the Spirit do mortify the deeds of the body, ye shall live.
14 For as many as are led by the Spirit of God, they are the sons of God.

And this critical statement also comes before your most likely favorite passage:

Romans 8:22-23 KJV
22 For we know that the whole creation groaneth and travaileth in pain together until now.
23 And not only they, but ourselves also, which have the firstfruits of the Spirit, even we ourselves groan within ourselves, waiting for the adoption, to wit, the redemption of our body.

And no doubt this "firstfruits of the Spirit" speaks of the same "earnest of the Spirit" from the other passages quoted above. So the idea that there is nothing you can do to effect the outcome of your faith is false, both before and after you first believed, for even now, after you have believed, you are clearly told that you must DO THE WILL OF ELOHIM before you might receive the Promise:

Hebrews 10:35-39 KJV
35 Cast not away therefore your confidence, which hath great recompence of reward.
36 For ye have need of patience, that,
after ye have done the will of God, ye might receive the promise.
37 For yet a little while, and he that shall come will come, and will not tarry.
38 Now the just shall live by faith: but if any man draw back, my soul shall have no pleasure in him.
39 But we are not of them who draw back unto perdition;
[Esau-man is a son of perdition] but of them that believe to the saving of the soul.

And Paul likewise very clearly explains to his audience what is the will of Elohim:

1 Thessalonians 4:1-6 KJV
1 Furthermore then we beseech you, brethren, and exhort you by the Lord Jesus, that as ye have received of us how ye ought to walk and to please God, so ye would abound more and more.
2 For ye know what commandments we gave you by the Lord Jesus.
For this is the will of God, even your sanctification, that ye should abstain from fornication:
That every one of you should know how to possess his vessel in sanctification and honour;
5 Not in the lust of concupiscence, even as the Gentiles which know not God:
6 That no man go beyond and defraud his brother in any matter: because that the Lord is the avenger of all such, as we also have forewarned you and testified.

So not only are we predestined and foreordained from the day we first believed but likewise forewarned. And the will of Elohim likewise concerns our very own sanctification; yes, we are supposed to play a part in our own sanctification. And if you choose not to do your part then apparently you were not "foreordained" to receive the Promise either, (Elohim knows from the moment you supposedly first believed whether you were serious or not, and whether your heart was right or not). But as you see the CHOICE is yours TO DO or NOT TO DO. This "doing" actually concerns consuming the full Testimony of Yeshua, that New Spirit which was foretold in the Prophet Ezekiel, (Eze 11:19, Eze 18:31, Eze 36:26), and thus it also concerns cutting off sin from your members, the "members" of your household-body-temple which is no longer your own, and cutting off sin from your life; and this is no doubt the will of Elohim, just as Yeshua says, "Behold, you are made whole: sin no more, lest a worse thing come unto you."

Paul simply is not teaching what you propose him to be teaching.
It is you and yours who are cherry picking by staying away from critical passages . . .

daqq

1) Total Depravity (Original Sin) - False - rebuked by the Father, (Eze 18:1-4, Jer 31:29-31).
2) Absence of Freewill - False because Yeshua the author of our faith had freewill as a man.
3) Unconditional Election - False and rebuked by Yeshua, epistle to the Hebrews, and by Paul.
4) Limited Atonement - False or no Gentile would have ever been included in the Covenant.
5) Irresistible Grace - True for the new man but not for Esau man your twin-goat son of perdition.
6) ECT - Totally Depraved and from the mind of Esau man for whom the very fire was created.

:Nineveh:

Crucible

BANNED
Banned
1) Total Depravity (Original Sin) - False - rebuked by the Father, (Eze 18:1-4, Jer 31:29-31).

Psalm 58:3
The wicked are estranged from the womb; they go astray from birth, speaking lies.

Isaiah 64:6
We have all become like one who is unclean, and all our righteous deeds are like a polluted garment. We all fade like a leaf, and our iniquities, like the wind, take us away.

Jeremiah 17:9
The heart is deceitful above all things, and desperately sick; who can understand it?

Ephesians 2:1-3
And you were dead in the trespasses and sins in which you once walked, following the course of this world, following the prince of the power of the air, the spirit that is now at work in the sons of disobedience— among whom we all once lived in the passions of our flesh, carrying out the desires of the body and the mind, and were by nature children of wrath, like the rest of mankind.

1 Corinthians 2:14
The natural person does not accept the things of the Spirit of God, for they are folly to him, and he is not able to understand them because they are spiritually discerned.

You'd have a case if the contrary was written throughout the ENTIRETY OF THE BIBLE :chuckle:

Absence of Freewill - False because Yeshua the author of our faith had freewill as a man.

Anti-Calvinism is like a mental illness, because I just stated that Calvinism is not a rejection of free will- and have stated it for the past year on this site- but you all keep repeating the same thing over and over :rolleyes:

Unconditional Election - False and rebuked by Yeshua, epistle to the Hebrews, and by Paul.[/QUOTE]

Yeshua.

Now I know you're tripping :rotfl:
Too full of yourself to call him Jesus like everyone else.

Unconditional Election is simply acknowledging God's omniscience. At the Beginning, He predetermined how He would conduct His will and which of the fallen He would draw.

It is inevitably true, unless you believe in a god who blinds Himself to the future- some people actually think that, because a lot of you are just irrational loons.

Limited Atonement - False or no Gentile would have ever been included in the Covenant.

You don't actually understand Limited Atonement, and that statement makes it abundantly clear.

Irresistible Grace - True for the new man but not for Esau man your twin-goat son of perdition.

You don't seem to understand that either :chuckle

Perseverance of the Saints follows after Irresistible Grace, in which if a person resists than he was never the elect in the first place.
Because
God cannot justify evil. Remember when I brought that up way-y earlier?

You
Can't
Beat
Reformed
Christianity

It's called 'reformed' for a very important, historical reason- it is not a 'denomination' :thumb:

Evil.Eye.<(I)>

BANNED
Banned
[MENTION=17677]Crucible[/MENTION],

You have continued to avoid this.

Question unanswered #717 link

Also, you have answered [MENTION=17195]daqq[/MENTION]'s scripture with Reformed promotion and insufficient scriptural rebuttal. I assure you that those following this thread know what I am saying. It's awesome to have a positive attitude against all odds...

But...

Ahem... Your "Ultimate Straw Man" is on fire and you seem to be using scriptural Shot glasses of water in attempt to put it out.

You are currently buried in [MENTION=17195]daqq[/MENTION]s scripture and seem to have given up scholarly response.

Example of you not addressing the actual point of [MENTION=17195]daqq[/MENTION]'s scripture, and this isn't even a tip of your unanswered iceberg

On this note... you are standing on 10 points I would enjoy chasing down, but how about just # 717 and Daqqs unanswered scripture (Which I would link, but there is so much he has unanswered by you, I'll just say... Daqqs unanswered scripture.

Evil.Eye.<(I)>

BANNED
Banned
Current thread tally...

1 Submitted counter to the OP that has been dismembered by "Rebuttal Author's" contest of Scriptural Authority.

The Bible didn't simply fall out of the sky one day, it is a collection of writings throughout many ages by many men. Every new revelation was important, and that doesn't just stop after Revelation. The thing is, because the New Testament is so complete, there is no need for continued written canon.

If it's deduced from Scripture, and is right, then they are by sound reason alone just as valuable. God gives men the gift of theology to understand the Word and edify others. (Evil.Eye.<(I)>'s edit... Crucibles justification for entry of doctrines of men)
This whole demonizing of theology you few are doing is inherently a false dilemma. It's just a way to trade formidable insight for an arbitrary standard- anybody can string together a theory based on cherry picked passages, it takes real wisdom to apply the entirety of the Bible to one's ideology.

You few are contending with the entire Reformation, who authorized the canon you read out of in the first place. (Evil.Eye.<(I)>'a edit. 1st 50 books of "Cannonized Bible" printed and distributed in 331A.D. - Reformation 95 thesis generated in 1517 A.D. #Fact Check)

Good luck with that.

1 Partial rebuttal that has counter questions unanswered.

Awaiting Biased-Against Representative's response to unanswered questions and scripture.

giphy.gif

Last edited:

Evil.Eye.<(I)>

BANNED
Banned
2) Absence of Freewill - False because Yeshua the author of our faith had freewill as a man.
3) Unconditional Election - False and rebuked by Yeshua, epistle to the Hebrews, and by Paul.
4) Limited Atonement - False or no Gentile would have ever been included in the Covenant.
5) Irresistible Grace - True for the new man but not for Esau man your twin-goat son of perdition.
6) ECT - Totally Depraved and from the mind of Esau man for whom the very fire was created.

You don't actually understand Limited Atonement, and that statement makes it abundantly clear.

You don't seem to understand that either

It's called 'reformed' for a very important, historical reason- it is not a 'denomination' :thumb:

Note the bolded statement from [MENTION=17195]daqq[/MENTION]. It is stating that the doctrine of LA hinges on the concept of "The Elect". "The Elect" are the Jews. (Gentiles are grafted into this olive tree and warned that being conceited to the 'enemy of the gospel' Jews could cause their removal from the olive tree. Rom. 11:17-21; 28)

Thus, [MENTION=17677]Crucible[/MENTION]'s refutation that [MENTION=17195]daqq[/MENTION] doesn't understand LA is false.

In address to Crucibles assertion that Reformed Doctrine is not a "Denomination"... this is true... it is powder that "many Denominations" add to their (Gospel Water).

One zinger for you [MENTION=17677]Crucible[/MENTION], do you believe in the assertions of this prayer?

"We offer up our prayers unto Thee, O most gracious God and most merciful Father, for all men in general, that as Thou art pleased to be acknowledged the Savior of the whole human race by the redemption accomplished by Jesus Christ Thy Son…"

Last edited:

Evil.Eye.<(I)>

BANNED
Banned

Unanswered...

Conjecture and false assertions were returned to this. It is strong and still stands.

#737 gives single example

Brother Ducky

Interesting...

2 questions.

1) Is the Bible insufficient to understand the mystery of Jesus, Father and Holy Spirit?
2) Do you believe in pre-destination?

Answer honestly and I will walk you through the process. I'm not certain if you are actually Reformed. We will see.

1] Not sure if your question is geared around a particular doctrine; given the form of the question, perhaps the trinity. However, I will answer assuming it is a broader question. I, and Reformed folk in general, hold to the perspicuity of Scripture; it is clear enough. Scripture and good and necessary consequences is all we need.

However, we can greatly profit with that which has been already written. We need not all start with nothing and develop our own systematic theology.

2] Yes.

But how will you know if I give honest answers?

Evil.Eye.<(I)>

BANNED
Banned
1] Not sure if your question is geared around a particular doctrine; given the form of the question, perhaps the trinity.

The question was geared around your support of the W.C.of.F. In your quoted post.

However, I will answer assuming it is a broader question.

Yes

I, and Reformed folk in general, hold to the perspicuity of Scripture; it is clear enough. Scripture and good and necessary consequences is all we need.

Yes, to a degree. Your "in general" is where I believe you see that some place doctrines over Christ and Scripture. Please correct me if I misunderstood you. That was a supposition on my part.

However, we can greatly profit with that which has been already written. We need not all start with nothing and develop our own systematic theology.

You know my full agenda. Would you please tell me if 1 John 2:27 says that the Holy Spirit should be our teacher, please tell me if you read it differently.

2] Yes.

But how will you know if I give honest answers?

In your words, what is "pre-destination?" And, I know you to be honest, because of your demeanor in word and speech. You are succinct and up front. This denotes that you have nothing to hide.

Status
Not open for further replies.