-
I discuss this in my blog

622 of the gregorian calendar is the beginning of islam
-but- the gregorian calendar didn't start until 1585
-and- at that time the julian calendar was in effect
-so- it was 666 of that calendar
this requires a calculation and wisdom

Danoh

In Greek and Hebrew letters are used as numbers. The bible says that we calculate the whole number 666.

What the Bible asserts about one thing or another is often based on prior doctrine or teaching on one thing or another It has laid down prior to said later assertion.

This here, for example...

Daniel 9:2 In the first year of his reign I Daniel understood by books the number of the years, whereof the word of the LORD came to Jeremiah the prophet, that he would accomplish seventy years in the desolations of Jerusalem.

...was based on books in Scripture like Jeremiah, where said number of years had been plainly laid out.

And as Daniel notes in his prayer in that chapter, Jeremiah et al, had been based on the books of Moses.

Or as one of said other Prophets had so well put it...

"To the law and to the testimony: if they speak not according to this word, it is because there is no light in them" Isaiah 8:20.

Rom. 5:8
Acts 17:11,12

Epoisses

Ezra 2 lists places. if you look at the entire chapter, as daqq has done, you will see it immediately. Some of the place-names are easily identified today.

Ezra 8 is a list of families. Genealogies, as you put it. many of the family names and place names are identical, but it remains that Ezra 2 is places, Ezra 8 is families.

Calling me stupid does not advance your argument. It is unwarranted, and you should apologize.

Did Adonikam visit six hundred and sixty six places?

No, he didn't so you're stupid and will just wrest the scriptures every chance you get.

LetsObeyChrist

most bibles say we calculate 666

Yes, that works also.
5585 ψηφίζω psephizo
Meaning: 1) to count with pebbles, to compute, calculate,

My strongest argument is in the scriptural method for solving riddles, Samson's was cited, double entendre is what should be looked for.

But also there is a text which clearly advocates the study of Scripture to solve scriptural riddles:

6 To understand a proverb, and the interpretation; the words of the wise, and their dark sayings.
7 The fear of the LORD is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction. (Prov. 1:6-7 KJV)

chair

Did Adonikam visit six hundred and sixty six places?

No, he didn't so you're stupid and will just wrest the scriptures every chance you get.

I never said that Adinokam visited 666 places. Nor do the verses. And that is exactly the point. Read the entire chapter. Ezra 2. here are some verses:

The children of Elam, a thousand two hundred fifty and four.
The children of Adonikam, six hundred sixty and six.
The children of Bethlehem, an hundred twenty and three.
The men of Anathoth, an hundred twenty and eight.​

Elam, Bethlehem, and Anathoth are names of places. I am quite certain that a smart learned man like you will immediately recognize the last two from the Bible.

It lists how many people came from each place. Not how many places they visit. The verse doesn't say anything at all like that.

It would be a good idea to actually read the verses, understand what they say, and afterwards think before you write. When you are done- consider apologizing. There is no need to call other people stupid just because you disagree with them. Even if you are clearly wrong.

daqq

Yes, that works also.
5585 ψηφίζω psephizo
Meaning: 1) to count with pebbles, to compute, calculate,

My strongest argument is in the scriptural method for solving riddles, Samson's was cited, double entendre is what should be looked for.

But also there is a text which clearly advocates the study of Scripture to solve scriptural riddles:

6 To understand a proverb, and the interpretation; the words of the wise, and their dark sayings.
7 The fear of the LORD is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction. (Prov. 1:6-7 KJV)

The "reason for the riddle" is that the author of the Apocalypse is a Kohen, and understands the passages which are written concerning the Kohanim, and thus, one of few who even has the right to speak or write such things.

Luke 3:2 W/H
2 επι αρχιερεως
αννα και καιαφα εγενετο ρημα θεου επι ιωαννην τον ζαχαριου υιον εν τη ερημω

Luke 3:2 ASV
2 in the high-priesthood of
Annas and Caiaphas, the word of God came unto John the son of Zacharias in the wilderness.

αννα και καιαφα ― Luke 3:2 ― Gematria 666
Two horns like a lamb and speaks like a dragon, (Revelation 13:11).

Ezekiel 28:14-16
14 You are the
anointed Cherub [כרוב ממשח - Gematria 616] that covers; and I have set you so: you were upon the holy mountain of Elohim; you have walked up and down in the midst of the stones of fire [the Ephod breastplate and the two shoulder stones - LXX contains all fourteen stones of fire and the gold].
15 You were perfect in your ways from the day that you were created, until iniquity was found in you.
16 By the multitude of your merchandise they have filled the midst of you with violence, and you have sinned: therefore I will cast you as profane out of the mountain of Elohim: and I will destroy you, O
covering Cherub, [כרוב הסכך - Gematria 333] from the midst of the stones of fire.

John 19:15 W/H
15 εκραυγασαν ουν εκεινοι αρον αρον σταυρωσον αυτον λεγει αυτοις ο πιλατος τον βασιλεα υμων σταυρωσω απεκριθησαν οι αρχιερεις ουκ εχομεν βασιλεα ει μη
καισαρα

John 19:15 ASV
15 They therefore cried out, Away with him, away with him, crucify him! Pilate saith unto them, Shall I crucify your King? The chief priests answered, We have no king but
Caesar.

The only currency allowable for use in the Herod Temple was the Tyrian Shekel:
Shekel of TyreTryian Shekel (Melqart Baal) ― Prince & King of Tyre (Ezekiel 28).

But the chief Kohanim joined themselves unto Caesar when they cried:
"We have no king but Caesar", (John 19:15).

כרוב הסכך (kərūḇ has-sōḵêḵ) ― Ezekiel 28:16 ― Gematria 333
καισαρα (Caesar) ― John 19:15 ― Gematria 333

כרוב הסכך (Cherub of the covering) + καισαρα (Caesar) = Gematria 666

But of course if you, like most literalist futurists, insist that the authorship of the Apocalypse must be dated late first century, (generally circa 95-96AD is the time frame proposed), then your paradigm master will not allow you to see these things because they do not comply with your self-imposed prerequisites.

Epoisses

I never said that Adinokam visited 666 places. Nor do the verses. And that is exactly the point. Read the entire chapter. Ezra 2. here are some verses:

The children of Elam, a thousand two hundred fifty and four.
The children of Adonikam, six hundred sixty and six.
The children of Bethlehem, an hundred twenty and three.
The men of Anathoth, an hundred twenty and eight.​

Elam, Bethlehem, and Anathoth are names of places. I am quite certain that a smart learned man like you will immediately recognize the last two from the Bible.

It lists how many people came from each place. Not how many places they visit. The verse doesn't say anything at all like that.

It would be a good idea to actually read the verses, understand what they say, and afterwards think before you write. When you are done- consider apologizing. There is no need to call other people stupid just because you disagree with them. Even if you are clearly wrong.

Now these are the children of the province that went up out of the captivity, of those which had been carried away, whom Nebuchadnezzar the king of Babylon had carried away unto Babylon, and came again unto Jerusalem and Judah, every one unto his city; Which came with Zerubbabel: Jeshua, Nehemiah, Seraiaha, Reelaiah, Mordecai, Bilshan, Mispar, Bigvai, Rehum, Baanah. The number of the men of the people of Israel: Ezra 2:1-2

OK Chair lets take this back to a kindergarten level.

Was Zerubabbel a Place? or Joshua? or Nehemiah or Mordecai?

All the numbers of each descendent are listed in vs. 2-60 and then in vs. 64 the number of the whole congregation is listed at 42,360.

They are not places, Chair. They are the actual names of real descendants not places. Why am I even conversing with a sorcerer like you. Your spells don't work on me.

daqq

Now these are the children of the province that went up out of the captivity, of those which had been carried away, whom Nebuchadnezzar the king of Babylon had carried away unto Babylon, and came again unto Jerusalem and Judah, every one unto his city; Which came with Zerubbabel: Jeshua, Nehemiah, Seraiaha, Reelaiah, Mordecai, Bilshan, Mispar, Bigvai, Rehum, Baanah. The number of the men of the people of Israel: Ezra 2:1-2

All the numbers of each descendent are listed in vs. 2-60 and then in vs. 64 the number of the whole congregation is listed at 42,360.

They are not places, Chair. They are the actual names of real descendants not places. Why am I even conversing with a sorcerer like you. Your spells don't work on me.

:rotfl:

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
most historians won't go near the year 666
-but-
in my blog I show that it was that year when islam first attacked constantinople

chair

The introduction mentions people. The list is that of places. Have you read the list? Even today some of these places are easily recognized:

Ater of Hezekiah
Bethlehem
Netophah
Anathoth
Kirjatharim, Chephirah, and Beeroth
Ramah and Gaba
Michmas
Bethel and Ai
Jericho

The end of the chapter could be dealing with families- priests, singers, Levites.

Now please put your insult gun on safety, and try again.

Epoisses

The introduction mentions people. The list is that of places. Have you read the list? Even today some of these places are easily recognized:

Ater of Hezekiah
Bethlehem
Netophah
Anathoth
Kirjatharim, Chephirah, and Beeroth
Ramah and Gaba
Michmas
Bethel and Ai
Jericho

The end of the chapter could be dealing with families- priests, singers, Levites.

Now please put your insult gun on safety, and try again.

Ok Chair you want to cherry pick names from the list I can do that to:

Shephatiah - a name of one of David's sons
Bani - the name of one of david's mighty men and several levites
Azgad - listed in Nehemiah among those who were sealed
Bigvai - listed in Nehemiah 10 as one who was sealed
Adin - listed in Nehemiah 10 with those who were sealed
Ater of Hezekiah - listed in Nehemiah 10 with the sealed
Bezai - listed in Nehemiah 10 with the sealed
Hashum - listed in Nehemiah 10 with the sealed priests
Azmaveth - one of David's mighty men, descendant of Jonathan
Harim - listed in Neh. 10 and 12 of the sealed priests
Jedaiah - a Levite priest

Many of these names are repeated in Nehemiah 10 with the sealed priests, are they places?

If a place has sons and daughters are they townhouses or condos?

chair

Ok Chair you want to cherry pick names from the list I can do that to:

Shephatiah - a name of one of David's sons
Bani - the name of one of david's mighty men and several levites
Azgad - listed in Nehemiah among those who were sealed
Bigvai - listed in Nehemiah 10 as one who was sealed
Adin - listed in Nehemiah 10 with those who were sealed
Ater of Hezekiah - listed in Nehemiah 10 with the sealed
Bezai - listed in Nehemiah 10 with the sealed
Hashum - listed in Nehemiah 10 with the sealed priests
Azmaveth - one of David's mighty men, descendant of Jonathan
Harim - listed in Neh. 10 and 12 of the sealed priests
Jedaiah - a Levite priest

Many of these names are repeated in Nehemiah 10 with the sealed priests, are they places?

If a place has sons and daughters are they townhouses or condos?

If you take a look at Nehemiah 7, you will see a similar list. It seems that these people represented their communities. It has to do with punctuation:

Ater-Hizkijah, Azzur, i.e. Azur is the representative of the place called Ater-Hizkiijah
likewise:
Hariph-Anathoth, Nebai
and so on

By the way, I am not making up punctuation here. I am following the traditional Massoretic way of reading the text. English punctuation doesn't have as many fine distinctions.

Still, you raise an interesting point. It seems that some places were named after families- or maybe the other way around. So how can one sort it out?

Let's look at Ezra 2 again. Who would have 2,056 children? A man? A family? A city?

More interesting is this verse:
25 The children of Kirjatharim, Chephirah, and Beeroth, seven hundred and forty and three.
Why are these lumped together? If they are neighboring cities it makes sense. Likewise for Ramah and Gaba.

I think part of the difficulty here is in understanding how the term "son" or "sons" is used in Hebrew. It is used much more flexibly in Hebrew than in English. To take an example that is related to your last comment, one can speak of "Jerusalem and its daughters" to mean Jerusalem and associated towns. See Joshua 17:11 for similar examples.

I will point out that I don't care one way or the other about "666". I do care about understanding verses.

daqq

You're just a wizard in training. Remember if you play with Jewish magic you eventually get burned.

Yes, of course, anyone who has an inkling of an understanding of what they read, and says or quotes anything that does not agree with you or your doctrine, is surely a wizard playing with fire and practicing magic. Did you wake up in the 1200's or somewhere thereabouts? :)

daqq

You're just a wizard in training. Remember if you play with Jewish magic you eventually get burned.

Oh my gosh, this thread has just had 666 views!
Run for your life, Epishesh, so you don't get tainted with eveel !!!!!! !!!!!! !!!!!! :)

Epoisses

If you take a look at Nehemiah 7, you will see a similar list. It seems that these people represented their communities. It has to do with punctuation:

Ater-Hizkijah, Azzur, i.e. Azur is the representative of the place called Ater-Hizkiijah
likewise:
Hariph-Anathoth, Nebai
and so on

By the way, I am not making up punctuation here. I am following the traditional Massoretic way of reading the text. English punctuation doesn't have as many fine distinctions.

Still, you raise an interesting point. It seems that some places were named after families- or maybe the other way around. So how can one sort it out?

Let's look at Ezra 2 again. Who would have 2,056 children? A man? A family? A city?

More interesting is this verse:
25 The children of Kirjatharim, Chephirah, and Beeroth, seven hundred and forty and three.
Why are these lumped together? If they are neighboring cities it makes sense. Likewise for Ramah and Gaba.

I think part of the difficulty here is in understanding how the term "son" or "sons" is used in Hebrew. It is used much more flexibly in Hebrew than in English. To take an example that is related to your last comment, one can speak of "Jerusalem and its daughters" to mean Jerusalem and associated towns. See Joshua 17:11 for similar examples.

I will point out that I don't care one way or the other about "666". I do care about understanding verses.

Oh, that sounds like somewhat of an agreement! Is the city of David a place or a person? Also Elam is listed in Nehemiah 10 with the sealed priests.