The Heretics Message to the World:Be Baptized to be Saved! (HOF thread)

Kevin

Hope,

There is more to the gospel than just believing Jesus is the Messiah.

Well, when one says that "faith ONLY" saves, that's exactly what that's refering to - the belief of something to be true based upon given evidence. Faith only, by it's definition, is just that belief, and does not include repentance. the faith only saves theory would allow somebody to believe in Christ and live and not repent from their life of sin, and they would still be saved, which is ludicrous.

Kevin said:
Paul started out preaching to the Jews (now why would he do that if he had a different gospel... the 12 others already had a gospel for the Jews), but when they rejected Paul, he took his message to the Gentiles (Acts 13:46). Was Paul's message to the Jews the same as the other 12's to the Jews, or did Paul have a different Jewish gospel than that of the 12?

Hope replied:
Stephen was the the first to speak against Moses and was stoned then Christ chose Paul to fulfil the gospel (Col 1:25) and it is a biblical fact that it was to the Jew first. Paul did not preach another gospel but it was different from the other apostles in the sense that it was with out the law and customs of Moses and this different doctrine was rejected by all Jews. Paul then turns to the Gentiles who where without the law and customs of Moses and they freely accepted Paul's different gospel.

No, it was not rejected by all Jews, but yes, the vast majority.

Concerning Stephen:

For we have heard him say, that this Jesus of Nazareth shall destroy this place, and shall change the customs which Moses delivered us. Acts 6:14
And all that sat in the council, looking stedfastly on him, saw his face as it had been the face of an angel. Acts 6:15

Yeah, and these were people who rejected Christ, and of course would not realize the the Mosaic Law had already been done away with.

When Christ told the 11 apostles to go out and preach the gospel, they went out and preached Christ, not the Mosaic Law. They taught what Christ had emphasized in the gospels - belief in Him and obedience to Him.

Be it known unto you therefore, men and brethren, that through this man is preached unto you the forgiveness of sins: Acts 13:38
And by him all that believe are justified from all things, from which ye could not be justified by the law of Moses. Acts 13:39
Beware therefore, lest that come upon you, which is spoken of in the prophets; Acts 13:40
Behold, ye despisers, and wonder, and perish: for I work a work in your days, a work which ye shall in no wise believe, though a man declare it unto you. Acts 13:41
And when the Jews were gone out of the synagogue, the Gentiles besought that these words might be preached to them the next sabbath. Acts 13:42

Yeah, Paul's message was forgiveness of sins through Christ, just as you quoted in the first verse. But this had already been going on well before that:

Luke 24:46-48 (MKJV)
46) And He said to them, So it is written, and so it behoved Christ to suffer and to rise from the dead the third day,
47) and that repentance and remission of sins should be proclaimed in His name among all nations, beginning at Jerusalem.
48) And you are witnesses of these things.

Remission of sins in His name began at Jersusalem, which was Pentecost. Paul preached the same thing - remission of sins through Christ.

Apostles concerning Gentiles (Cornelius) and Mosaic law:

But that we write unto them, that they abstain from pollutions of idols, and from fornication, and from things strangled, and from blood. Acts 15:20
For Moses of old time hath in every city them that preach him, being read in the synagogues every sabbath day.
Acts 15:21

For it seemed good to the Holy Ghost, and to us, to lay upon you no greater burden than these necessary things; Acts 15:28
That ye abstain from meats offered to idols, and from blood, and from things strangled, and from fornication: from which if ye keep yourselves, ye shall do well. Fare ye well. Acts 15:29

The apostles remained jealous of the Mosaic law and opposed Paul's doctrine which did not include it.

They weren't jealous. :rolleyes: They taught them to abstain from food to offered to idols because it might weaken or offend others' concscience who believe that eating food offered to idols will defile a man (such as Jewish converts). To avoid this, they said that you would to well to abstain from these things...

Paul taught a similar thing in 1 Cor. 8:8-13:

8) But food does not commend us to God. For neither if we eat are we the better, nor if we do not eat are we the worse.
9) But take heed lest by any means this liberty of yours becomes a stumbling block to those who are weak.
10) For if anyone sees you who have knowledge sitting in an idol temple, will not the weak one's conscience be lifted up so as to eat things sacrificed to idols?
11) And on your knowledge the weak brother will fall, he for whom Christ died.
12) And sinning in this way against your brothers, and wounding their conscience, being weak, you sin against Christ.
13) Therefore, if food offends my brother, I will eat no flesh forever, that I do not offend my brother.

Basic message - if it offends the brother - don't eat it least he fall to temptation and sin.

Now getting back to your reference of Acts 15:20-21, and them supposedly including the law of Moses in the gospel... just look a few verses down, and you will see that that notion is entirely inaccurate:

Acts 15:24
24) Because we have heard that certain ones who went out from us have troubled you with words, unsettling your souls, saying, Be circumcised and keep the law! (to whom we gave no such command);

Obvious proof that the 12 didn't command people to keep the Mosaic Law. Obvious. If they did, they certainly would have commanded cirucmcision, but it's clear they "gave NO such commandment."

Paul went in with us unto James; and all the elders were present. Acts 21:18
And when he had saluted them, he declared particularly what things God had wrought among the Gentiles by his ministry. Acts 21:19
And when they heard it, they glorified the Lord, and said unto him, Thou seest, brother, how many thousands of Jews there are which believe; and they are all zealous of the law: Acts 21:20
And they are informed of thee, that thou teachest all the Jews which are among the Gentiles to forsake Moses, saying that they ought not to circumcise their children, neither to walk after the customs. Acts 21:21

Paul taught that we are no longer under the law yet he was charged by the apostles to keep it.

Them take, and purify thyself with them, and be at charges with them, that they may shave their heads: and all may know that those things, whereof they were informed concerning thee, are nothing; but that thou thyself also walkest orderly, and keepest the law. Acts 21:24

The apostles continued to hold Gentiles accountable to certain laws.

You are missing the context here. The reason that the elders told Paul to go with the four and observe Jewish customs was because of the crowd of Jews who knew that Paul had taught against cirucmcision. It was because of this crowd that they told Paul this. This does not mean that they taught that the Gentiles should keep the law, for we see in verse 25 that the Jewish elders said:

Acts 21:25 (MKJV)
25Act 21:25 And as to the nations who believe, we joined in writing, judging them to observe no such things, except only that they keep themselves from both idol sacrifice, and blood, and a thing strangled, and from fornication.

And again, they decided to tell them to abastain from the sake of peace between the Jewish and Gentile converts.

Also noticed that Pauled agreed to the elders advice and observed the Jewish customs (verses 26). Now if that was against the gospel that Paul preached, he certainly wouldn't have agreed to this, because Paul himself said that any other gospel than the one he preached is accursed (Gal. 1:9).

As touching the Gentiles which believe, we have written and concluded that they observe no such thing, save only that they keep themselves from things offered to idols, and from blood, and from strangled, and from fornication. Acts 21:25

Water baptism has it place within the Mosaic law and Paul not once taught a baptism of repentance for remission of sins.

Water baptism has nothing to do with the context of verse 25. Nice try.

Likewise, when Peter spoke to Cornelious in Acts 10, did Peter use the same gospel that he spoke to the Jews in Acts 2... or did Peter have a special gospel for the Cornelious household?

Kevin, I am not a dispensationalist as you understand it.

That's the problem with dispensationism... it's so arbitrary. I guess I should learn that I might get a different version depending on which dispy I'm speaking to.

Don't debate with me on your preconceived ideas of what you think I believe but respond to what I write. I have never said that there were different gosepls for Jew and Gentile.

I wasn't trying to put words in your mouth, I was just asking a question. Since you don't believe that Peter preached the gospel of the new covenant in Acts 2, I was just wondering your thoughts on wheter or not Peter preached the same gospel that he did in Acts 2 as he did to the Getiles in Acts 10? It's a valid question.

Paul was chosen by Christ to fulfil the gospel and what follows is a progression of acceptance by the apostles. Peter is a prime example of man's progressive understanding of the gospel (truth) after it is revealed. Peter was instructed to go to all the world yet when God told him to go to Cornelius he had this to say...

Ye know how that it is an unlawful thing for a man that is a Jew to keep company, or come unto one of another nation; but God hath showed me that I should not call any man common or unclean. Acts 10:28

Did Peter understand the so called Great Commission and still as late as Acts 10 have to be shown that God would accept Gentiles who were without the law.

No, Peter is not a prime example of "progressive revelation". Peter is a prime example of somebody who had a problem letting go of years of a Jewish vs. Gentile frame of mind. Peter had a problem with lettting it go, so Christ had to help him out with that when He gave Peter the visision of the sheets.

Peter to Cornelius:

But in every nation he that feareth him, and worketh righteousness, is accepted with him. Acts 10:35

Well of course, this teaches to fear and obey God, as every Christian should.

Paul's different gospel:

Not by works of righteousness which we have done, but according to his mercy he saved us, by the washing of regeneration, and renewing of the Holy Ghost; Titus 3:5

I've already explained what Paul meant by saying that "not by works of righteousness". Paul is certainly NOT saying that obeying the commandents of God has nothing to do with our salvation, for Paul himself obeyed the gospel and was baptized in his own conversion. Also, Paul himself said:

1Co 7:19 Circumcision is nothing, and uncircumcision is nothing, but the keeping of the commandments of God.

Now why would Paul say that what's important is keeping the commandments of God, if it wasn't essential to salvation? This goes hand in hand with Rev. 22:14 which says that it is those who keep His commandments who will enter heaven.

And in the beginning of Revelation, we see Gentile churches being judged by their works. Why would the church of Ephesus be in danger and need to be warned if works had nothing to do with salvation? Christ told them to remember and repent and to do the first works (Rev. 2:4-5).

Then there's the scene of Judgement Day in Matt 25:31-46. Verses 41 through 46 show people condemned to Hell because of their lack of good works. What happened to the progressive revelation that works nothing to do with our salvation?

Acts 2:38 is not the new testament of Christ for remission (Matt 26:28). Repent and be baptized is the same gospel that the Baptisn taught.

John did baptize in the wilderness, and preach the baptism of repentance for the remission of sins. Mark 1:4

Acts 2:38 is NOT what John preached. Peter in Acts 2 told the Jews in verse 21 that whoever calls upon the name of the Lord will be saved, and then Peter went on to preach Christ and Him crucified, and that God made Him both Lord and Christ.

Now I want you to show me where John the Baptism preached Christ and Him crucified. And I want you to show me one example of John baptizing people in the name of the Lord or for the remissioin of sins. That will be impossible to do since scripture says that remission of sin in His name began in Jerusalem (Pentacost). It's also a Biblical fact that Paul had people baptized in the name of the Lord (Acts 19:5), just as Peter did in Acts 2:38.

Your doctrine of re-baptism is not biblical and you can not prove it with God's word.

Yes I can... you're just too blinded by your dispy beliefs to see it. Acts 19:1-5 irrefutably shows people who were baptized into John's baptism being baptized again, but this time in the name of the Lord. When a person is baptized two times, that person has been rebaptized. You just fail to see the distinction between John's baptism and baptism in the name of the Lord. Paul reocognized the difference, which is why he had them rebaptized.

Then there's:

Act 18:24 And a certain Jew named Apollos, an Alexandrian by birth, an eloquent man mighty in the Scriptures, came to Ephesus.
Act 18:25 This man was instructed in the way of the Lord. And being fervent in the spirit, he spoke and taught the things of the Lord diligently, knowing only the baptism of John.
Act 18:26 And he began to speak boldly in the synagogue. And Aquila and Priscilla heard him, and they took him and expounded to him the way of God more perfectly.

The scriptures emphasize that Apollos only knew the baptism of John. When Aquila and Priscilla heard him, what do you think they taught him more perfectly on, based on context? Do you think Apollos continued baptizing people into Jhon's baptism after this? No way. We know that Paul had people baptized in the name of the Lord (Acts 19:5), and both Paul and Apollos baptized people in Corinth (1 Cor. 1:12-16). Obviously, it Apollos baptized people in the name of the Lord, just as Peter baptized people at Corinth in the name of the Lord (the same one Peter performed in Acts 2).

Last edited:

c.moore

Hello Kevin

But without repentance, a person would continue to live a life of sin. I've shown how faith and repentance are two different things. One can choose to believe that Christ is the Son of God, but that doesn't mean the person is willing to repent of their beloved worldy ways. The fact that they are two different things shows right there that "faith ONLY" doesn't save. And do you now realize that repentance is somehting that we have to do - a WORK? Even us believing in Christ was called a work by Christ Himself (John 6:28-29), because it's something that WE must do for salvation.

yes , we must repent I do agree.

But I and mostly the rest of us here on TOL agree we don`t have to get wet to repent to Jesus.

Repent we preach is with the heart, and a changing day by day renewing of the mind and getting a sound mind and heart day by day.

So again i agree faith alone don`t save, but the repented heart saves us, and then we want to live a fruitful obedient life for Christ.

Yes repentance is a work to use your mouth to confess and a work of faith to open your heart to Jesus , and take on Jesus forgiveness by faith.

But to make water the sin remover is the paint thinner remover to get wet get repent message is another gospel.

You use a natural salvation plain for a spiritual birth God has given, and even the bible says Ro:8:4: That the righteousness of the law might be fulfilled in us, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit.
Ro:8:5: For they that are after the flesh do mind the things of the flesh; but they that are after the Spirit the things of the Spirit.
Ro:8:6: For to be carnally minded is death; but to be spiritually minded is life and peace.
Ro:8:7: Because the carnal mind is enmity against God: for it is not subject to the law of God, neither indeed can be.
Ro:8:8: So then they that are in the flesh cannot please God.
Ro:8:9: But ye are not in the flesh, but in the Spirit, if so be that the Spirit of God dwell in you. Now if any man have not the Spirit of Christ, he is none of his.
Ro:8:10: And if Christ be in you, the body is dead because of sin; but the Spirit is life because of righteousness.

Ro:8:15: For ye have not received the spirit of bondage again to fear; but ye have received the Spirit of adoption, whereby we cry, Abba, Father.
Ro:8:16: The Spirit itself beareth witness with our spirit, that we are the children of God:

So believing and using faith to believe is a simple easy work of the heart and soul.

God Bless

Freak

Originally posted by Kevin
Freak,
To sum up, your not in Him if you don't keep His commandments.

"But now a righteousness from God, apart from law, has been made known, to which the Law and the Prophets testify. This righteousness from God comes through faith in Jesus Christ to all who believe. There is no difference..."

We are placed in Christs' righteousness through faith. This righteousness is possible because...

"...through the obedience of the one man the many will be made righteous."

Through the obedience of the one man-Jesus we are made righteous---it is not through our obedience or keeping of commandments or water or ritual or self righteousness.

Kevin

c.moore,

So again i agree faith alone don`t save, but the repented heart saves us, and then we want to live a fruitful obedient life for Christ.[/qoute]

You don't know how pleased I am to hear you say that. A lot of people, including your friend Freak, thinks that faith *only* saves. I'm glad you see the problem with this false doctrine.

But to make water the sin remover is the paint thinner remover to get wet get repent message is another gospel.

After all this time, I doubt I'm going to be able to convince you otherwise, but it's a fact that water baptism was part of the conversion process used by the apostles, and the Bible makes is quite clear that baptism is for the remission of sins.

But again, I applaud you in your admittance that faith only doesn't save.

Kevin

Freak,

"But now a righteousness from God, apart from law, has been made known, to which the Law and the Prophets testify. This righteousness from God comes through faith in Jesus Christ to all who believe. There is no difference..."

We are placed in Christs' righteousness through faith. This righteousness is possible because...

"...through the obedience of the one man the many will be made righteous."

Through the obedience of the one man-Jesus we are made righteous---it is not through our obedience or keeping of commandments or water or ritual or self righteousness.

Keeping the commandments of Christ is not part of the Mosaic Law. I've already agreed that it's through Christ's obedience that many will be made righteous, provided of course you are in Christ. And yes it is our faith that get's us there, as long as that faith leads to repentance and obedience to Him.

I have given direct verses that shows that we abide in His love IF we keep His commandments, and that if we don't keep His commandments, we don't know Christ, and the truth is not in us. Yet, you avoid these verses like the plague. Your doctrine of faith *only* forces you to run. You can run, but you can't hide from the verses.

c.moore

Hello Kevin

I think we are getting you closer to the good news of the gospel.

Let me ask you have you heard of being baptized by in the Blood of Jesus ?????

Is Blood wet???

Let`s take this step by step now.

I agree with faith alone doesn`t save just like i don`t don`t believe , Belief alone saves.

Now trusting in jesus as Lord and Savior alone might work, without going diving in water.

God Bless

Last edited:

Freak

Freak,
Keeping the commandments of Christ is not part of the Mosaic Law.

Kevin, God is slowly but surely speaking to you. Christs' commandments is to love Him and love others.

I've already agreed that it's through Christ's obedience that many will be made righteous, provided of course you are in Christ.
YES! Good to see you understand this.

And yes it is our faith that get's us there.
Exactly!

as long as that faith leads to repentance and obedience to Him.
Of course saving faith leads to good works. WE just need to remember not to put works before faith. You must put faith in Christ then good works will follow because of your faith in Jesus.

Kevin, I think you're very close to understanding what we've been sharing for nearly 2 years now. :thumb:

Kevin

c.moore,

I think we are getting you closer to the good news of the gospel.

Agreed. I'm glad that you realize that faith by itself won't save.

Let me ask you have you heard of being baptized by in the Blood of Jesus ?????

Yes, because I have obeyed what He commanded for the remission of those sins - baptism (water). When one dies with Christ through baptism and crucifies the man of sin, the blood of Christ washes us clean of our sins, being a new creation (born again).

Is Blood wet???

Yes, blood is a liquid.

I agree with faith alone doesn`t save just like i don`t don`t believe , Belief alone saves.

Outstanding!

Now trusting in jesus as Lord and Savior alone might work, without going diving in water.

Trusting in Jesus as Lord and Savior alone is the same as faith alone, which you agree isn't enough.

Kevin

Freak,

Kevin, God is slowly but surely speaking to you. Christs' commandments is to love Him and love others.

Indeed, but baptism is also a command. There's no need to mention baptism in 1John because John is speaking to those already in the church, who have already been baptized, just as in the conversion of Acts 2.

Of course saving faith leads to good works. WE just need to remember not to put works before faith. You must put faith in Christ then good works will follow because of your faith in Jesus.

Kevin, I think you're very close to understanding what we've been sharing for nearly 2 years now.

No, I just don't think you guys are understanding what I've been trying to say. It's obvious that I've stressed obedience to Christ throughout this thread. I've always known that faith is the key, and always comes first. My message was simply to get accross that faith, by itself, without repentance or anything else, will NOT save you. I had to stress the obedience side due to the title of this thread... calling those who obey what Christ commanded for the remission of sins Heretics. It is necessary for salvation because we need to have our sins remissed and be dead to sin and alive to God, which is what baptism's purpose is (Rom. 6).

You have been in the faith *only* crowd, which is why I've been showing you the other side. I've heard you say that we are justified by faith "alone", which is just not true. The faith that justifies us is the saving faith that leads to repentance and obedience to Christ. That's the faith that saves.

This is the first time I've heard you acknowledge that "saving faith leads to good works." That's what I've been saying for quite some time - the faith that saves is the faith that obeys (sound familiar)? If faith does't lead to repentance and obedience, that persons faith profits them nothing. They don't have the "saving faith".

Last edited:

Freak

Freak,
This is the first time I've heard you acknowledge that "saving faith leads to good works."

For we are God's workmanship, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do.

We were created for good works but works cannot save as the verse prior to this one points out:

For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith--and this not from yourselves, it is the gift of God-- not by works, so that no one can boast.

Kevin

Freak,

We were created for good works but works cannot save as the verse prior to this one points out:

For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith--and this not from yourselves, it is the gift of God-- not by works, so that no one can boast.

I totally agree - works do not save us - faith does. All I'm saying is that if faith does not produce obedience to God (works), than that faith is dead in the eyes of God, just as the apostle James points out in chapter 2. If one's faith is true, they will act upon that faith.

True faith, that saves, produces obedience to Christ's commandments, and it is by keeping His commandments that we know whether or not we are in Christ (1 John 2:3-4). If we have true faith in Christ, we will walk as he walked, keeping His commandments, which is evidence of our faith which saves us. If we say we have faith, but dont' keep His commandments, our faith is in vain, and will not save us.

c.moore

Hello Kevin
I totally agree - works do not save us - faith does. All I'm saying is that if faith does not produce obedience to God (works), than that faith is dead in the eyes of God, just as the apostle James points out in chapter 2. If one's faith is true, they will act upon that faith.

I can`t believe that this is finally coming from Kevin.

Maybe somebody else is using Kevin name and acting like him.:shocked: :shocked: :)

True faith, that saves, produces obedience to Christ's commandments, and it is by keeping His commandments that we know whether or not we are in Christ (1 John 2:3-4). If we have true faith in Christ, we will walk as he walked, keeping His commandments, which is evidence of our faith which saves us. If we say we have faith, but dont' keep His commandments, our faith is in vain, and will not save us.

Thank you Lord for slowly opening the eyes of Kevin, he is starting to get the revelation about faith and why we obey praise the Lord

Thank you again Freak for helping break the ice and all honor and Glory to God.:bannana: :up: :thumb:

AMEN

c.moore

Hello Kevin

Yes, because I have obeyed what He commanded for the remission of those sins - baptism (water). When one dies with Christ through baptism and crucifies the man of sin, the blood of Christ washes us clean of our sins, being a new creation (born again).

So let me get this right , you mean first you are water baptized and then , then after this ritual is done , then the blood of Jesus washes our sins, and then after all this then we are finally born agian is this correct according to you and your church???:confused:

This is called the horse pulling the cart not the cart pulling the horse is this correct???

Kevin I started a new thread : do we need water for repentance.

http://www.theologyonline.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&postid=311933#post311933

God Bless

Last edited:

Kevin

c.moore,

I can`t believe that this is finally coming from Kevin.

I'm sorry to rain on your parade, c.moore, but my stance hasn't changed at all. I think all this time you guys were misunderstanding me and others because we were empahsizing obedience. We had to emphasize obedience, because faith *only* was being emphsized, and as you admitted, faith *alone* doesn't save. I've never said that we are saved by works, never. So it's not like I've admitted to anything.

What I have been saying all along is what I'm still saying: faith alone does not save. Faith that leads to obedience (works), does save. I've never claimed it was our works that save us. You took it as us trying to "earn" our way into heaven, when, what I've been trying to get accros is that true faith, the kind that saves, includes obedience. Your friend Freak as often said that we are justified by faith alone. I will always disagree with this.

It was Freak that actually broke the ice when he said something that I never thought I would hear him say: "Of course saving faith leads to good works." Right there, Freak is saying that the "saving faith" is the kind that leads to good works, which goes against what he's been saying all along -- that we are justifed by faith *alone*.

And then there's you. I thought you were part of the faith *only* saves crowd, which is why I stressed obedience to you as well. Then you finally admitted that faith only doesn't save. So, if faith only doesn't save, then that means that faith with works saves, because that's evidence of true faith in the eyes of God, which does save... because faith led to obedience.

Last edited:

Kevin

c.moore

So let me get this right , you mean first you are water baptized and then , then after this ritual is done , then the blood of Jesus washes our sins, and then after all this then we are finally born agian is this correct according to you and your church???

This is called the horse pulling the cart not the cart pulling the horse is this correct???

Kevin I started a new thread : do we need water for repentance.

Participating in a new thread won't really change much. In fact, this has already been addressed in this thread. The blood of Jesus covers all sins for all people. Where the debate lies is in what we as people need to do to receive that forgiveness. Christ commanded baptism, and Peter made it quite clear that it was for the remission of sins, as did Paul in Romans 6.

You guys want to contend that water baptism is merely an outward showing that one has already been saved, which is not recorded anywhere in the Bible. On top of that, further evidence to show that baptism is not an outward showing for anybody is the fact that we must confess Christ. Is it not enough to confess Christ as our Lord, must we also be water baptized as well to prove this? That just doesn't make sense.

Baptism was setup as a commandment by God so that we could put away our old man of sin (thus being free from sin) and become a new creation alive to God. That's the Biblical definition of baptism and it's purpose. I hope someday you guys come to this realization.

But anyway, I'm going to take a break from the forums for a while. I'm studying for a Microsft certification. :eek: Between the two, I just won't have time for both.

Last edited:

Kevin

All,

As I've just informed c.moore, I will be take a break from the forums for a bit, as I need to study up for a Microsoft certification (yea...).

Just an FYI.

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
All,

As I've just informed c.moore, I will be take a break from the forums for a bit, as I need to study up for a Microsoft certification (yea...).

Just an FYI.

Good luck!
Not that you'll need it!

Resting in Him,
Clete

HopeofGlory

Kevin,

Sorry I am so late in responding, I have been extremely busy.

Hope,

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There is more to the gospel than just believing Jesus is the Messiah.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well, when one says that "faith ONLY" saves, that's exactly what that's refering to - the belief of something to be true based upon given evidence. Faith only, by it's definition, is just that belief, and does not include repentance. the faith only saves theory would allow somebody to believe in Christ and live and not repent from their life of sin, and they would still be saved, which is ludicrous.

The point that I was making is that disciples believed Jesus was the Christ and when Christ gave them the new testament for remission (John 6:53) they replied who can hear (believe) it (John 6:60) and many turned back and followed Christ no more (John 6:65). They were not able to receive His testimony because the law forbid drinking blood. Therefore there is more to the gospel than believing Jesus is the Son of God. We must receive the new testament (Matt 26:28) and Christ required forsaking the law to receive eternal life made possible by His shed blood.
If the cup had truly contained blood none of the disciples would have received it because the law declared they would be cut off.

Whatsoever soul it be that eateth any manner of blood, even that soul shall be cut off from his people. Lev. 7:27

And he took the cup, and gave thanks, and gave it to them, saying, Drink ye all of it; Matt. 26:27
For this is my blood of the new testament, which is shed for many for the remission of sins. Matt. 26:28

The disciples that turned back forsook their faith in Christ in order to obey the law thus their obedience cost them eternal life and so it is today. Remission of sins before Christ’s death under the law was through baptism (Mark 1:4) but in this dispensation remission is by faith in the new testament (Matt 26:28) without water baptism.

The very law that Christ required disciples to forsake is the same law that the apostles required the Gentiles to follow.

For it seemed good to the Holy Ghost, and to us (apostles), to lay upon you no greater burden than these necessary things; Acts 15:28
That ye abstain from meats offered to idols, and from blood, and from things strangled, and from fornication: from which if ye keep yourselves, ye shall do well. Fare ye well. Acts 15:29

To gain further insight in to this truth we can see that the so called Great Commission as understood by you (water baptism for remission of sins) was given to the apostles yet Paul was sent not to baptize (1 Cor 1:17). This marks a distinct difference in their calling and what they preached. Paul not once preached baptism for remission but preached faith in His shed blood for remission (Roms 3:25) and the apostles at Pentecost never mention the new testament for remission (Matt 26:28). Never will you see these two faiths preach together because they are as different as grace is from works yet both of these faiths require belief that Jesus is the Christ.

For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; to the Jew first, and also to the Greek. Rom. 1:16
For therein is the righteousness of God revealed from faith to faith: as it is written, The just shall live by faith. Rom. 1:17

The righteousness of God is in Christ not by our works of righteousness.

quote:
Kevin said:
Paul started out preaching to the Jews (now why would he do that if he had a different gospel... the 12 others already had a gospel for the Jews), but when they rejected Paul, he took his message to the Gentiles (Acts 13:46). Was Paul's message to the Jews the same as the other 12's to the Jews, or did Paul have a different Jewish gospel than that of the 12?

Hope replied:
Stephen was the the first to speak against Moses and was stoned then Christ chose Paul to fulfil the gospel (Col 1:25) and it is a biblical fact that it was to the Jew first. Paul did not preach another gospel but it was different from the other apostles in the sense that it was with out the law and customs of Moses and this different doctrine was rejected by all Jews. Paul then turns to the Gentiles who where without the law and customs of Moses and they freely accepted Paul's different gospel.

No, it was not rejected by all Jews, but yes, the vast majority.

It is a fact (It) 'the customs of Moses' were accepted by the apostles and read in the synagogues every sabbath day (Acts 15:21).

quote:
Concerning Stephen:

For we have heard him say, that this Jesus of Nazareth shall destroy this place, and shall change the customs which Moses delivered us. Acts 6:14
And all that sat in the council, looking stedfastly on him, saw his face as it had been the face of an angel. Acts 6:15

Yeah, and these were people who rejected Christ, and of course would not realize the the Mosaic Law had already been done away with.

When Christ told the 11 apostles to go out and preach the gospel, they went out and preached Christ, not the Mosaic Law. They taught what Christ had emphasized in the gospels - belief in Him and obedience to Him.

They preached Jesus as the Christ but they did not forsake the Mosaic law and their customs or tradition. All the Jewish nations gathered for the first time at Pentecost and not once did the apostles mention that Christ’s death removed the law for righteousness. Stephen was the first to preach this message (after Pentecost) and he was stoned then Christ called Paul to fulfil the gospel that was not by works of righteousness. Why would apostles need to preach the law to Jews? They would need to tell them they were no longer under the law and you will not find this message preached by apostles before or during Pentecost.

quote:
Be it known unto you therefore, men and brethren, that through this man is preached unto you the forgiveness of sins: Acts 13:38
And by him all that believe are justified from all things, from which ye could not be justified by the law of Moses. Acts 13:39
Beware therefore, lest that come upon you, which is spoken of in the prophets; Acts 13:40
Behold, ye despisers, and wonder, and perish: for I work a work in your days, a work which ye shall in no wise believe, though a man declare it unto you. Acts 13:41
And when the Jews were gone out of the synagogue, the Gentiles besought that these words might be preached to them the next sabbath. Acts 13:42

Yeah, Paul's message was forgiveness of sins through Christ, just as you quoted in the first verse. But this had already been going on well before that:

Luke 24:46-48 (MKJV)
46) And He said to them, So it is written, and so it behoved Christ to suffer and to rise from the dead the third day,
47) and that repentance and remission of sins should be proclaimed in His name among all nations, beginning at Jerusalem.
48) And you are witnesses of these things.

Remission of sins in His name began at Jersusalem, which was Pentecost. Paul preached the same thing - remission of sins through Christ.

No Kevin, remission of sins to “ALL NATIONS” began at Jerusalem, big difference. You can’t force your doctrine on the text by omitting words.

And that repentance and remission of sins should be preached in his name among all nations, beginning at Jerusalem. Luke 24:47

Paul never preached a water baptism of repentance for remission and neither did Christ.

The Baptist and the apostles preached that message and not once did they preach remission by Christ’s shed blood:

John did baptize in the wilderness, and preach the baptism of repentance for the remission of sins. Mark 1:4
And there went out unto him all the land of Judaea, and they of Jerusalem, and were all baptized of him in the river of Jordan, confessing their sins. Mark 1:5

Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost. Acts 2:38

Christ and Paul preached remission by His shed blood:

For this is my blood of the new testament, which is shed for many for the remission of sins. Matt. 26:28
But I say unto you, I will not drink henceforth of this fruit of the vine, until that day when I drink it new with you in my Father’s kingdom. Matt. 26:29

Whom God hath set forth to be a propitiation through faith in his blood, to declare his righteousness for the remission of sins that are past, through the forbearance of God; Rom. 3:25
To declare, I say, at this time his righteousness: that he might be just, and the justifier of him which believeth in Jesus. Rom. 3:

quote:
Apostles concerning Gentiles (Cornelius) and Mosaic law:

But that we write unto them, that they abstain from pollutions of idols, and from fornication, and from things strangled, and from blood. Acts 15:20
For Moses of old time hath in every city them that preach him, being read in the synagogues every sabbath day.
Acts 15:21

For it seemed good to the Holy Ghost, and to us, to lay upon you no greater burden than these necessary things; Acts 15:28

The apostles remained jealous of the Mosaic law and opposed Paul's doctrine which did not include it.

They weren't jealous. They taught them to abstain from food to offered to idols because it might weaken or offend others' concscience who believe that eating food offered to idols will defile a man (such as Jewish converts). To avoid this, they said that you would to well to abstain from these things...

Paul taught a similar thing in 1 Cor. 8:8-13:

8) But food does not commend us to God. For neither if we eat are we the better, nor if we do not eat are we the worse.
9) But take heed lest by any means this liberty of yours becomes a stumbling block to those who are weak.
10) For if anyone sees you who have knowledge sitting in an idol temple, will not the weak one's conscience be lifted up so as to eat things sacrificed to idols?
11) And on your knowledge the weak brother will fall, he for whom Christ died.
12) And sinning in this way against your brothers, and wounding their conscience, being weak, you sin against Christ.
13) Therefore, if food offends my brother, I will eat no flesh forever, that I do not offend my brother.

Basic message - if it offends the brother - don't eat it least he fall to temptation and sin.

Why would a Jewish Christian brother be offended if he had been instructed out of the law? Yes we must be careful not to offend when trying to instruct others in the righteousness of God.

Behold, thou art called a Jew, and restest in the law, and makest thy boast of God,Rom. 2:17
And knowest his will, and approvest the things that are more excellent, being instructed out of the law; Rom. 2:18

Now getting back to your reference of Acts 15:20-21, and them supposedly including the law of Moses in the gospel... just look a few verses down, and you will see that that notion is entirely inaccurate:

Acts 15:24
24) Because we have heard that certain ones who went out from us have troubled you with words, unsettling your souls, saying, Be circumcised and keep the law! (to whom we gave no such command);

Obvious proof that the 12 didn't command people to keep the Mosaic Law. Obvious. If they did, they certainly would have commanded cirucmcision, but it's clear they "gave NO such commandment."

It is proof at this time (being that God show them that Gentiles were to be accepted after Pentecost, see Peter concerning Cornelius) that apostles did not command Gentiles to be circumcised. Nothing here about Jews who were given the law. All so notice that James said Moses was preached every Sabbath and that Paul was accused of instructing Jews out of the law therefore James required that Paul show his obedience to the law. Why would James do such if he agreed with Paul that Jews should be instructed out of the law? Answer, he wouldn’t.

quote:
Paul went in with us unto James; and all the elders were present. Acts 21:18
And when he had saluted them, he declared particularly what things God had wrought among the Gentiles by his ministry. Acts 21:19
And when they heard it, they glorified the Lord, and said unto him, Thou seest, brother, how many thousands of Jews there are which believe; and they are all zealous of the law: Acts 21:20
And they are informed of thee, that thou teachest all the Jews which are among the Gentiles to forsake Moses, saying that they ought not to circumcise their children, neither to walk after the customs. Acts 21:21

Paul taught that we are no longer under the law yet he was charged by the apostles to keep it.

Them take, and purify thyself with them, and be at charges with them, that they may shave their heads: and all may know that those things, whereof they were informed concerning thee, are nothing; but that thou thyself also walkest orderly, and keepest the law. Acts 21:24

The apostles continued to hold Gentiles accountable to certain laws.

You are missing the context here. The reason that the elders told Paul to go with the four and observe Jewish customs was because of the crowd of Jews who knew that Paul had taught against cirucmcision. It was because of this crowd that they told Paul this. This does not mean that they taught that the Gentiles should keep the law, for we see in verse 25 that the Jewish elders said:

Acts 21:25 (MKJV)
25Act 21:25 And as to the nations who believe, we joined in writing, judging them to observe no such things, except only that they keep themselves from both idol sacrifice, and blood, and a thing strangled, and from fornication.

And again, they decided to tell them to abastain from the sake of peace between the Jewish and Gentile converts.

Kevin are you that ignorant? To abstain from blood is a Mosaic law. It is impossible to instruct out of the law and at the same time of a necessity
teach others to follow it. Jews were offended because it was the law and the apostles were not the least bit upset in the fact Jews still followed it when Christ died to remove it. The apostles only agreed that Gentiles did not have to follow the whole law of Moses.

Also noticed that Pauled agreed to the elders advice and observed the Jewish customs (verses 26). Now if that was against the gospel that Paul preached, he certainly wouldn't have agreed to this, because Paul himself said that any other gospel than the one he preached is accursed (Gal. 1:9).

Paul agreed because James required it of him. It is the same gospel but God
knows the hearts of men (including apostles) and understands that they progressively accept the truth even though they are His chosen.

quote:
As touching the Gentiles which believe, we have written and concluded that they observe no such thing, save only that they keep themselves from things offered to idols, and from blood, and from strangled, and from fornication. Acts 21:25

Water baptism has it place within the Mosaic law and Paul not once taught a baptism of repentance for remission of sins.

Water baptism has nothing to do with the context of verse 25. Nice try.

I said water baptism began under the law. Do you disagree? You also did not disagree that Paul never taught a baptism of repentance for remission.

quote:
Likewise, when Peter spoke to Cornelious in Acts 10, did Peter use the same gospel that he spoke to the Jews in Acts 2... or did Peter have a special gospel for the Cornelious household?

Kevin, I am not a dispensationalist as you understand it.

That's the problem with dispensationism... it's so arbitrary. I guess I should learn that I might get a different version depending on which dispy I'm speaking to.

Are you calling me a dispsy because I believe there are dispensations in God’s gospel. You’re being foolish Kevin and I will not respond with more name calling. Paul believed in dispensations.

quote:
Don't debate with me on your preconceived ideas of what you think I believe but respond to what I write. I have never said that there were different gosepls for Jew and Gentile.

I wasn't trying to put words in your mouth, I was just asking a question. Since you don't believe that Peter preached the gospel of the new covenant in Acts 2, I was just wondering your thoughts on wheter or not Peter preached the same gospel that he did in Acts 2 as he did to the Getiles in Acts 10? It's a valid question.

If you disagree , show me where any apostles preached the new testament (Matt 26:28) at Pentecost and Peter preached the same.

quote:
Paul was chosen by Christ to fulfil the gospel and what follows is a progression of acceptance by the apostles. Peter is a prime example of man's progressive understanding of the gospel (truth) after it is revealed. Peter was instructed to go to all the world yet when God told him to go to Cornelius he had this to say...

Ye know how that it is an unlawful thing for a man that is a Jew to keep company, or come unto one of another nation; but God hath showed me that I should not call any man common or unclean. Acts 10:28

Did Peter understand the so called Great Commission and still as late as Acts 10 have to be shown that God would accept Gentiles who were without the law.

No, Peter is not a prime example of "progressive revelation". Peter is a prime example of somebody who had a problem letting go of years of a Jewish vs. Gentile frame of mind. Peter had a problem with lettting it go, so Christ had to help him out with that when He gave Peter the visision of the sheets.

What was it that would not allow Peter to accept Gentiles? Answer, the Mosaic law.

quote:
Peter to Cornelius:

But in every nation he that feareth him, and worketh righteousness, is accepted with him. Acts 10:35

Well of course, this teaches to fear and obey God, as every Christian should.

Now why would a true Christian that understands Christ’s death remove the curse of the law believe his righteous works would profit him? Paul gives us the answer to this dilemma.

quote:
Paul's different gospel:

Not by works of righteousness which we have done, but according to his mercy he saved us, by the washing of regeneration, and renewing of the Holy Ghost; Titus 3:5

I've already explained what Paul meant by saying that "not by works of righteousness". Paul is certainly NOT saying that obeying the commandents of God has nothing to do with our salvation, for Paul himself obeyed the gospel and was baptized in his own conversion. Also, Paul himself said:

Paul meant that any righteous work you perform will not profit remission. Why are you in disagreement with Paul. Jesus taught the same....

It is the spirit that quickeneth; the flesh profiteth nothing: the words that I speak unto you, they are spirit, and they are life. John 6:63
But there are some of you that believe not. For Jesus knew from the beginning who they were that believed not, and who should betray him. John 6:64

Paul certainly never taught a baptism of repentance for remission and Paul was not commanded as you believe apostles were to water baptize because Paul certainly said that Christ sent him NOT to baptize. Therefore your understanding of the commission is diluted unless you believe that Paul had a different calling than the other apostles. Which is it Kevin, different calling or same, and explain your answer so I can understand what you believe.

quote:
1Co 7:19 Circumcision is nothing, and uncircumcision is nothing, but the keeping of the commandments of God.

Now why would Paul say that what's important is keeping the commandments of God, if it wasn't essential to salvation? This goes hand in hand with Rev. 22:14 which says that it is those who keep His commandments who will enter heaven.

We must look at what Paul was commanded. Was he commanded to baptize? Show me where God or Jesus or Paul commanded water baptism for remission of sins. Answer, they didn’t (Paul was sent NOT to baptize).The Baptist was called to deliver that message (under the law) to Israel and he was beheaded. The apostles continued in that calling and it was fulfilled at Pentecost when for the first time all nations gathered since the coming of Christ. Notice what Peter says about what he preached to Cornelius.

That word, I say, ye know, which was published throughout all Judaea, and began from Galilee, after the baptism which John preached; Acts 10:37

Both Peter and John preached a baptism of repentance for remission. I have show you this many times. Some men’s progression of understanding is extremely slow, as is yours but I have faith that patience and prayer will soon deliver you into His marvelous light.

And in the beginning of Revelation, we see Gentile churches being judged by their works. Why would the church of Ephesus be in danger and need to be warned if works had nothing to do with salvation? Christ told them to remember and repent and to do the first works (Rev. 2:4-5).

Then there's the scene of Judgement Day in Matt 25:31-46. Verses 41 through 46 show people condemned to Hell because of their lack of good works. What happened to the progressive revelation that works nothing to do with our salvation?

For this cause I Paul, the prisoner of Jesus Christ for you Gentiles, Eph. 3:1
If ye have heard of the dispensation of the grace of God which is given me to you-ward: Eph. 3:2

And if by grace, then is it no more of works: otherwise grace is no more grace. But if it be of works, then is it no more grace: otherwise work is no more work. Rom. 11:6

quote:
Acts 2:38 is not the new testament of Christ for remission (Matt 26:28). Repent and be baptized is the same gospel that the Baptisn taught.

Acts 2:38 is NOT what John preached. Peter in Acts 2 told the Jews in verse 21 that whoever calls upon the name of the Lord will be saved, and then Peter went on to preach Christ and Him crucified, and that God made Him both Lord and Christ.

Now I want you to show me where John the Baptism preached Christ and Him crucified. And I want you to show me one example of John baptizing people in the name of the Lord or for the remissioin of sins. That will be impossible to do since scripture says that remission of sin in His name began in Jerusalem (Pentacost). It's also a Biblical fact that Paul had people baptized in the name of the Lord (Acts 19:5), just as Peter did in Acts 2:38.

Progression of revelation:

John preached a baptism of repentance for remission and prepared the way of the Lord. God the Father spoke from heaven and said this is my beloved Son (the Christ) and many were baptism believing in His name. John was beheaded.

The apostles at Pentecost preached a baptism for remission, Jesus was the Christ, and that He was crucified and risen. Up until this time no apostles preached against the Mosaic law.

Stephen After Pentecost preaches against the Mosaic law and is stoned to death.

Paul is called and preaches against the law and was sent not to baptize. Paul is the first to preach remission of sin by faith in the death of Christ and not once preaches a baptism of remission.

During these revelations the scriptures reveal man’s progressive understanding with God’s help of course. See Peter an the Cornelius account and also that Paul did water baptize but was later sent by Christ not to baptize.

quote:
Your doctrine of re-baptism is not biblical and you can not prove it with God's word.

Yes I can...

Let’s start another thread and discuss re-baptism.

Kevin

Hope,

As mentioned in my previous posts... I've got to focus on studying for a Microsoft Certification, so I won't be on the forums for a while.

One thing I noticed is that you seem to be offended by the term "dispy". I use the word to define one who is a dispensationalist. Dispy is easier to type, but you are right, there is some resentment there too. I do not respect the dispy/dispensational doctrine, but I aplogize for using the word, I shouldn't use it for reasons made obvious - it can certainly be taken offensively, and I see your point. I hope you accept it, and I'll try to refrain from using it in the future.

But I still say that dispensationalism is arbitrary, that's fact... not "foolishness".

Dissapointing that I don't have time for both debating and studies.... I shouldn't have read your response... it's too tempting to refute it. :)

Last edited: