The Heretics Message to the World:Be Baptized to be Saved! (HOF thread)

Kevin

Hey Pastor,

Here's a what if scenario for you, that is real life. There are poeple that are born so mentally retarded that they may as well be a vegtable. They are incaple, because of their retardation, to logically understand anything.

Now, because a person is so mentally impared, it is very possible for him to be unable to understand the gospel of Jesus Christ, much less believe. Now, because people who are struck with severe mental retardation, and don't have the facilities to hear and believe the gospel, does that make belief no longer necessary?!

Again, what if scenarios mean nothing. Nothing.

Last edited:

Kevin

c.moore,

I can and do answer on my own but I like sometime how the other people put in better wording what I believe and have the same views as me, so I use their wordings pointing to my view on the debate.

Same views as you? Your authors believes that Acts 2:38 is referring to water baptism. You think it's referring to Spirit baptism. Have you change your view on this, again?

Specially they had a good way of explaining how water baptism is only a symbol an a example of how we are baptized inthe Kingdom of God , and the spiritual baptism is that which make us children of God.

Ok, I've answered this many times, but since you like to use borrowed arguments to answer, here is one that I will use to defeat that notion that we are saved by Spirit baptism:

http://www.bebaptized.org/Wearenotsavedwhen.htm

In addition to this, my aguments still stand that man cannot baptize with the Holy Spirit, for man connot command Him. I've shown in the past in Acts 8 when Philip preached to the Samaritans that one is NOT automatically Spirit baptized upon believing the gospel. The apsotles had to travel up from Jerusalem and lay hand upon them, asking God to baptize them with the Holy Spirit. Yet, these people were certainly baptized with water in the name of the Lord Jesus previously, just as all conversions happen.

Your author then tries to use Acts 10:44, where people were Spirit baptized before being water baptized in the name of the Lord to try and back his argument (as many on this board have). The fact of the matter is that they were baptized with the Holy Spirit, yet, Peter seeing this, still commanded them to be baptized in water! Now, if Spirit baptism is really what counts, then why was water baptism commanded after Spirit baptism? There woul be NO reason to if it didn't matter to salvation.

Now I know your hung up on it just being symbolic that we have already been saved, but you'll find that NOWHERE in scripture, while I can point to Acts 2:38 and show that it's for the forgiveness of sins, which is further backed by Romans 6.

Your author's argument says that "baptism to the forgiveness of sins it does not clearly make baptism a condition for salvation." The author makes no attempt to discredit that Acts 2:38 and Rom. 6 both show that baptism is indeed for the forgiveness of sins. Why is that?

You read passed the Author and missed his point and you missed again that he has used the debate which you stand on and scriptures, and then show latter how wrong you water divers are.

Basically, your author presented church of Christ arguments in the first part, and then tried to refute them in the second sections. How did he show that we "water divers" :rolleyes: are wrong? By this:

But He also said this:

The historical fact that many people in the book of Acts, who placed their faith in Christ, were immediately baptized does not make water baptism a necessary condition for salvation. A Church of Christ representative would probably agree with this statement but respond that the Apostles did include baptism in their gospel message. This argument will be considered next.

Your author then tries to validate this rediculous assertion by scrutinizing the greek word 'eis' and it's meaning:

"V. The claim made by Church of Christ representatives that because the apostles included water baptism in their gospel message they believed it a necessary condition for salvation is false. In Acts 2:38 Peter said, "Repent and let each one of you be baptized in the name of Jesus for (Greek: eiz) the forgiveness of your sins..." Two points can be made about this passage. First, Peter's statement was in response to a general question by his listeners (v. 37b), "What shall we do?" Peter said "Repent and be baptized." Peter was fulfilling what Jesus had commanded him to do in Matt. 28:18-20 ("make disciples...baptizing them")."

I'm glad that the author at least recognizes that the water baptism in Acts 2:38 was in fulfillment of Christ's command to do so in the great commission (Matt. 28: 19-20).

But then your author throws logic out the window by saying:

"Second, although Peter linked repentance and water baptism to the forgiveness of sins it does not clearly make baptism a condition for salvation.

He admits that the apostle Peter linked repentance and water baptism for the remission of sins, but then says that that does not clearly make it a condition of salvation!!!! :doh: What!? Ok folks, remission of our sins is not clearly necessary for our salvation. :doh:

He then tries to justify his rediculous statement with:

"The Greek preposition eiz (translated "for" by NAS) according to BAGD has a broad range of meanings which can include purpose ("in order that") or result ("with the result").

Although Peter's command to repent and be baptized is clear, the logical connection to forgiveness of sins is somewhat cloudy. If I say, "Repent and come to the front of the church so that you may have eternal life," I may or may not believe coming forward is a necessary condition for salvation. But, if I clearly taught elsewhere that repentance/belief alone was sufficient no one would think coming forward is necessary for salvation.8"

He is comparing apples to oranges here. The subject at hand in Acts 2, was WHAT MUST WE DO TO BE SAVED? Peter answered and said repent AND be baptized for the remission of sins. When you are asked what must be done to be saved, would you tell them what they needed to do for salvation (answering their qeustion), OR, would you give half of it and say "Repent and come to the front of the church so that you may have eternal life,"?

Christ never talked about needing to come forward to the church for salvation, but Christ certainly included Baptism in conjuction with salvation (Mark 16:16, John 3:5). Therefore Peter answered their question - what must we do to be saved? He answered from guidance of the Holy Spirit. Your author throws in something that is has nothing to do with salvation (coming forward), and therefore Peter wouldn't have included anything unecessary in response to their question. Both things that Peter commanded were taught by Christ, and they are expected of us.

I could EASILY use your author's logic against him by saying that the command of repent isn't necessary. I coud say "Jump up and down and be baptized for the remission of sins.". Your author took baptism out, I took out repentance. Foolish argument.

The early church fathers knew the necessity of water baptism as taught in the scriptures, but yeah, this Johnny go lucky interpreter just happened to get the REAL translation right, and all those earlier Christians, some of who were taught directly under the apostles had it all wrong.... yeah, sure.

If faith only saves, then one doesn't need to repent (something man must do - a WORK). They just need to believe. I already went over this with you, and got NO reply, except borrowed arguements.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

VII. The overwhelming testimony of Scripture is that faith alone is both a necessary and sufficient condition for salvation. By necessary and sufficient I mean that not only is faith necessary for salvation (both sides agree about this), but that faith is also sufficient.14 A study of the word group believe, belief, faith, and save will demonstrate this. The Greek verb pisteuw (that is translated "believe") occurs 248 times in the N.T. and can mean believe, trust, or entrust. pisteuw occurs 100 times alone in the gospel of John. This is not surprising. John wrote, "But these things have been written that you may believe (pisteuw) that Jesus is the Christ...and that by believing you may have life in His name." (Jn. 20:31) In John 1:12 John wrote that all "who believe in His name" are children of God. John 3:16 recorded, "whoever believes in Him shall not perish but have eternal life." Also consider John 3:18 and 7:38, 39.

See, this is the problem with your borrowed arguement. I said that it mentioned that if faith only saves, then repentance isn't necessary, which you admitted IS necessary. And your response by quoting a section of his work mentions NOTHING about the necessity of repentance. Do you no longer believe that repentance is necessary?

--------------------------------

To sum up, here are some points/questions:

• Since the author of your borrowed argument acknowledges that Acts 2:38 is referring to water baptism, has your view changed on this?
  • How can you say that faith *only* saves when you claim repentance is ALSO necessary for salvation? If faith *ONLY* was enough, then nothing else matters in regards to salvation. How do you explain your contradiction?

Kevin

Pastor,

I have another one for you, that is REAL LIFE. What about the people that are born deaf and blind? How do you teach such a person Christ? How can the believe what can't be taught to them? Again, should we say that belief is not necessary in light of this REAL LIFE scenario?

We are to learn from God, not rare case scenarios and base doectrines around them. :down: All of these what if's "flys in the face of your whole argument."

PastorZ77

Kevin,

Thanks for your response.

The examples you gave leave out one immutable fact: you cannot separate creation from creator. Romans says

For since the creation of the world God's invisible qualities-his eternal power and divine nature-have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that men are without excuse.
(from New International Version) Rom 1:20

Now, understamd, I'm not saying anyone who is able to be baptized should not be because it is not required, it was definately a COMMANDMENT. However, I believe it misrepresents the very nature of God to suggest that he requires ceremony and ritual for entrance into his kingdom when in order to save mankind from his sin he had to abolish that very thing.

c.moore

Originally posted by PastorZ77
Kevin,

Thanks for your response.

The examples you gave leave out one immutable fact: you cannot separate creation from creator. Romans says

For since the creation of the world God's invisible qualities-his eternal power and divine nature-have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that men are without excuse.

Now, understamd, I'm not saying anyone who is able to be baptized should not be because it is not required, it was definately a COMMANDMENT. However, I believe it misrepresents the very nature of God to suggest that he requires ceremony and ritual for entrance into his kingdom when in order to save mankind from his sin he had to abolish that very thing.

:up: your doing a go job welcome to our group trying to teach the good news of Christ and not the bad news of works and trying to keep all the laws and commandments.

Pastor continue walking in the spirit, Praise God.

This is what we all are trying to get into Kevin unmeek spirit.

Baptism is A command , but not a part of salvation or forgiveness.

I think the baptism is trying to take the place of the faith in the blood of Jesus .

God Bless

Kevin

Pastor,

It may be a misrepresentation to you that baptism is necessary for salvation, but Christ linked to salvation (John 3:5, Mark 16:16), the apostles understood it was necessary (Rom. 6, 1 Peter 3:21), and the Early Church Fathers certainly recognized it's necessity.

Now, you are using a RARE case (your article mentioned about 30 people in the WORLD) to try and invalidate baptism's necessity. That makes about as much sense as the real if examples I illustrated and begged the question whether or not belief should be invalid as well.

That Romans verse you quoted were not speaking of people such as our illustrated rare case scenarios, rather, it is referring to ungodly/unrighteous men (verse 18), that they will have NO excuse.

Now, that is a far cry from one who has no choice in the matter (being severly retarded and therefore can't believe), or people who have a very rare condition of being allergic to water. God allowed them to have these imparments, and therefore God will take these imparments in consideration upon Judgement, or how could He be a Just God? I mean, I cannot see God on Judgement Day casting somebody who was so severely retarded that they couldn't understand the gospel, much less believe it.

Kevin

c.moore,

Still waiting for your response to these questions:

• Since the author of your borrowed argument acknowledges that Acts 2:38 is referring to water baptism, has your view changed on this?
  • How can you say that faith *only* saves when you claim repentance is ALSO necessary for salvation? If faith *ONLY* was enough, then nothing else matters in regards to salvation. How do you explain your contradiction?

Berean Todd

Originally posted by Kevin
[*] How can you say that faith *only* saves when you claim repentance is ALSO necessary for salvation? If faith *ONLY* was enough, then nothing else matters in regards to salvation. How do you explain your contradiction?[/list]

Quite simple, any ole' faith is not going to save you - the question is then what faith does save? If I have faith in Budha or Mohammed or my works then those faiths are useless to my eternal destination.

It is faith in Christ that saves. What then are we having faith in or about? Having faith in Christ means that you realize that you are a sinner, that you are unable to reach heaven. It means realizing that Christ was God and affirming that He rose on the third day. When you place your faith not in your works, but in Christ's finished work, then that is a faith that saves. Repentence is a part of that faith.

PastorZ77

That Romans verse you quoted were not speaking of people such as our illustrated rare case scenarios, rather, it is referring to ungodly/unrighteous men (verse 18), that they will have NO excuse.
so you suggest that since the creation of the world God's invisible qualities-his eternal power and divine nature-have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that men are without excuse applies to only UNRIGHTEOUS men.

so in other the righteous cannot see these God examples aal around us?

wow

Kevin

Pastor,

so you suggest that since the creation of the world God's invisible qualities-his eternal power and divine nature-have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that men are without excuse applies to only UNRIGHTEOUS men.

so in other the righteous cannot see these God examples aal around us?

No, of course they can. I was just illustrating in context who Paul was speaking about. That entire chapter deals with Paul speaking of the unrighteous. The way you make it sound, what exuce will the severly retarted man give to God, only to have God throw him into hell because of his inability to believe, which is required for salvation? After all, NO excuses, right? Are you saying such a man will be thrown into hell for something he has no control over?

Kevin

Berean Todd,

Quite simple, any ole' faith is not going to save you - the question is then what faith does save? If I have faith in Budha or Mohammed or my works then those faiths are useless to my eternal destination.

It is faith in Christ that saves. What then are we having faith in or about? Having faith in Christ means that you realize that you are a sinner, that you are unable to reach heaven. It means realizing that Christ was God and affirming that He rose on the third day. When you place your faith not in your works, but in Christ's finished work, then that is a faith that saves. Repentence is a part of that faith.

You can 'realize' that Christ is the Son of God all you want, but, that realization will do yo no good if you don't repent of your sinful lifestyle. Knowing something and doing something about it are two different things. Faith means that you believe something to be true based upon evidence given. It's a belief in your head. That's what 'faith ONLY' people says saves you. Repentance is a result of that faith, and is an action taken by the individual to change their life based upon the faith they have in Christ. If all they do is have faith, it will profit them nothing. They are two different things. If repentance is required for salvation, then faith *only* does not save you, as many suggest.

PastorZ77

The way you make it sound, what exuce will the severly retarted man give to God, only to have God throw him into hell because of his inability to believe, which is required for salvation? After all, NO excuses, right? Are you saying such a man will be thrown into hell for something he has no control over?

no, you and i disagree on the point that mentally challenged folk cannot believe. this is partly why i brought up the scripture in romans, it points out that belief does not require supperior mental faculties, if it did, i wouldnt be saved!

the scripture indicates that the very presence of God surrounds all of creation, certainly you believe that faith in Christ is not made with logical capabilities?

PastorZ77

If repentance is required for salvation, then faith *only* does not save you, as many suggest.

repentance is a biproduct of faith, a direct result, not a seperate entity.

drbrumley

Point is Pastorz is "the you need to be baptized crowd" think that the church is instructed to baptize with water, they are following a different path then what Paul has instructed thru God's word. We are no longer under the law, so to be baptized with water is simply living under a different set of house rules, not meant for this present dispensation. Very legalistic in my book. Baptism with water was a Jewish thing and after Paul came to the scene, stopped. We are now baptized with the Holy Spirit, not water. And we are sealed forever more.

In Christ,
DRBrumley

HopeofGlory

Originally posted by drbrumley
Point is Pastorz is "the you need to be baptized crowd" think that the church is instructed to baptize with water, they are following a different path then what Paul has instructed thru God's word. We are no longer under the law, so to be baptized with water is simply living under a different set of house rules, not meant for this present dispensation. Very legalistic in my book. Baptism with water was a Jewish thing and after Paul came to the scene, stopped. We are now baptized with the Holy Spirit, not water. And we are sealed forever more.

In Christ,
DRBrumley

I agree with all the above. Right division avoids confusion.

What do you say about water baptism after salvation.

Is it needed and if not why not?

drbrumley

Hope Of Glory,

Good to see you again. I'm glad your still around. It's been awhile.

As for your question, I say you don't need to be baptized with water period. The Holy Spirit has baptized you already into His Body so the need to be baptized into a congrgation of beleivers almost means nothing except to those who deem it neccessary to witness this event.

In Christ,
DRBrumley

frostmanj

Subscriber
I put this on another thread, but thought I might add it to this one also:

Let me add my two cents in as clear a way as possible.

1) Is Baptism required for salvation. Or better stated will Baptism secure your salvation? No. 2 Tim 1:8-10

Most of us agree rightly that it is faith in Jesus Christ that leads us to salvation.

2) Is Baptism commanded by Jesus? Yes. Matt 28:16-20. (Note the "obeying everything I have commanded you" and the "of all nations")

3) Did Jesus Christ (God incarnate) submit himself to Baptism? Yes. Matt 3:13-17. (Note that John questions the need to baptise one who is manifestly filled with the spirit. Christ says yes to "fulfill all righteousness". Remember Christ is our example in all things.)

4) Is Baptism a work? Yes. No disagreement here. No work can attain you salvation.

5) Does the Spirit inspire the saved to do works? Yes. Lets not put the cart before the horse. Faith saves you. The saved produce good fruit i.e. works. 1 John 2:1-6. Note "This is how we know we are in Him. Whoever claims to live in Him must walk as Jesus did."

Summary: Faith (true salvation) leads to good works and obedience (an obedience that only the saved are capable of) obedience includes the commision to Baptise all nations. IMHO those who refuse to Baptise or be Baptised show a lack of obedience which stems from incomplete faith.

No work can save you (including Baptism), but faith does inspire works.

Berean Todd

Originally posted by frostmanj
I put this on another thread, but thought I might add it to this one also:

Let me add my two cents in as clear a way as possible.

1) Is Baptism required for salvation. Or better stated will Baptism secure your salvation? No. 2 Tim 1:8-10

Most of us agree rightly that it is faith in Jesus Christ that leads us to salvation.

2) Is Baptism commanded by Jesus? Yes. Matt 28:16-20. (Note the "obeying everything I have commanded you" and the "of all nations")

3) Did Jesus Christ (God incarnate) submit himself to Baptism? Yes. Matt 3:13-17. (Note that John questions the need to baptise one who is manifestly filled with the spirit. Christ says yes to "fulfill all righteousness". Remember Christ is our example in all things.)

4) Is Baptism a work? Yes. No disagreement here. No work can attain you salvation.

5) Does the Spirit inspire the saved to do works? Yes. Lets not put the cart before the horse. Faith saves you. The saved produce good fruit i.e. works. 1 John 2:1-6. Note "This is how we know we are in Him. Whoever claims to live in Him must walk as Jesus did."

Summary: Faith (true salvation) leads to good works and obedience (an obedience that only the saved are capable of) obedience includes the commision to Baptise all nations. IMHO those who refuse to Baptise or be Baptised show a lack of obedience which stems from incomplete faith.

No work can save you (including Baptism), but faith does inspire works.

:thumb: :D