The Heretics Message to the World:Be Baptized to be Saved! (HOF thread)

JustAChristian

Just Wanted You To Know!

Just Wanted You To Know!

Originally posted by Freak
JustWorks asks: If you don't, you better start thinking up a good answer when you meet Jesus in judgment!

I have a good answer my friend:

It's Jesus!

"These are wells without water, clouds that are carried with a tempest; to whom the mist of darkness is reserved for ever" ( 2 Peter 2:17).

Freak,

Pardon me, but your attitude is showing!

JustAChristian :angel:

Last edited:

Jerry Shugart

Re: Re: Re: Rose Colored Glasses...

Re: Re: Re: Rose Colored Glasses...

Originally posted by JustAChristian

Everyone! Look How Jerry Has MISQUOTED Me!
If you need to, go back and see what I said to Freak if you think I have not properly copied from that post .

:doh: You see Jerry? Do you see how you have misquoted me? I said I had never said WATER BAPTISM SAVES. You have conveniently misquoted me saying that I had never said BAPTISM SAVES. Of course Baptism Saves because the bible says it saves ( 1 Peter 3:19-21). I want you to apologize to me and the rest of this thread for misquoting me at what I said!

JustAChristian,

Are you losing your mind?You say that you "never said water baptism saves"!!!

Here are your exact words:

"Baptism by immersion is for the remission of sins.It is essential for the new birth.It is necessary to be in the family of God.It saves"(11-21-2002 8:24AM).

Again,it is clear that your re saying that "baptism by immersion" saves!!!

In His grace,--Jerry

Last edited:

Jerry Shugart

Francisco,

None of the verses you provided say that anyone was water baptized INTO Jesus Christ.

Again,you are forced into ASSUMING that that is what is happening.

On the other hand,there is no doubt that the sinner is baptized INTO the Body of Christ by the Holy Spirit:

"For by one Spirit were are we all BAPTIZED INTO ONE BODY...the body of Christ"(1Cor.12:13,27).

That is the ONE BAPTISM of Ephesians 4:5.

And you fail to see the difference of the two baptisms involving the Holy Spirit.In one case,it is the Lord Jesus Who is doing the baptizing,and those who are baptized by Him are baptized with the Holy Spirit for "power" (Mt.3:11;Acts1:5,8).

In the other case,it is the Holy Spirit Who is performing the baptism,and in this case it is the Holy Spirit Who baptizes us INTO Jesus Christ:

"For by one Spirit are we all baptized into one body...the body of Christ"(1Cor.12:13,27).

It is that baptism that "saves" because it is IN THE BODY OF CHRIST where the sinner receives "life".Life is in the Son:

"And this is the ecord,that GOd hth given unto us eternal life,AND THIS LIFE IS IN HIS SON"(1Jn.5:11).

The "baptism" by which we receive life is the baptism by the Holy Spirit into the body of Christ,where there is "neither Greek nor Jew,circumcision nor uncircumcision"(Col.3:11).That fits perfectly with the following words concerning "baptism":

"For as many of you who have been BAPTIZED INTO CHRIST have put on Christ.There is neither Jew nor Greek,there is neither bond nor free...for ye are all one IN CHRIST"(Gal.3:27,28).

Of course those who have not received the Holy Spirit cannot understand spiritual things and will continue to insist that it is a natural element,like ater baptism,that saves the sinner.

However,for those of us who have been taught by the Holy Spirit,and hve learned to compare "spiritual things with spiritual"(1Cor.2:13),this idea is laughable.

We know that in order for the sinner to receive his spiritual regeneration that it takes a Spiritual baptism.He is born again when he hears and believes the gospel which comes in the power of the Holy Spirit.

The gospel,the New Testament,is described as the "ministration of the Spirit"(2Cor.3:8),and that is because it comes in the power of the Holy Spirit:

"...who have preached the gospel unto you with the Holy Spirit sent down from heaven"(1Pet.1:12).

"For our gospel came not unto you in word only,but also in power,and in the Holy Spirit"(1Thess.1:5).

And that is why the Lord Jesus says that it is the Spirit which giveth life:

"It is the Spirit which giveth life...The words that I speak unto you,they are Spirit,and they are life"(Jn.6:63).

Those who cannot compare spiritual things with spiritual say."It is the water which giveth life...The rite of water baptism that you submit to is life."

How ridiculous!

The sinner hears and believes the gospel which comes in the power of the Holy Spirit and at that time the Holy Spirit baptizes him into the body of Christ,and it is IN CHRIST that he receives lie.

It is inconceivable that the ONE BAPTISM is the "water baptism",especially considering the fact that in order to make "water" the ONE BAPTISM one must exclude the baptism performed by the Holy Spirit.

In His grace,--Jerry

Francisco

Originally posted by Jerry Shugart:
Francisco,

None of the verses you provided say that anyone was water baptized INTO Jesus Christ.

Again,you are forced into ASSUMING that that is what is happening.
Jerry, you still have not addressed my specific question about the eunuch. If he was not baptized into Jesus Christ, what then was he baptized into. This isn't an assumption on my part. Scripture does not get much clearer than the eunuch's water baptism into Jesus Christ. Take another look:

Christ Is Preached to an Ethiopian

26 Now an angel of the Lord spoke to Philip, saying, "Arise and go toward the south along the road which goes down from Jerusalem to Gaza." This is desert. 27 So he arose and went. And behold, a man of Ethiopia, a eunuch of great authority under Candace the queen of the Ethiopians, who had charge of all her treasury, and had come to Jerusalem to worship, 28 was returning. And sitting in his chariot, he was reading Isaiah the prophet. 29 Then the Spirit said to Philip, "Go near and overtake this chariot."
30 So Philip ran to him, and heard him reading the prophet Isaiah, and said, "Do you understand what you are reading?" 31 And he said, "How can I, unless someone guides me?" And he asked Philip to come up and sit with him. 32 The place in the Scripture which he read was this:

"He was led as a sheep to the slaughter;
And as a lamb before its shearer is silent,
So He opened not His mouth.
33 In His humiliation His justice was taken away,
And who will declare His generation?
For His life is taken from the earth."

34 So the eunuch answered Philip and said, "I ask you, of whom does the prophet say this, of himself or of some other man?" 35 Then Philip opened his mouth, and beginning at this Scripture, preached Jesus to him. 36 Now as they went down the road, they came to some water. And the eunuch said, "See, here is water. What hinders me from being baptized?" 37 Then Philip said, "If you believe with all your heart, you may." And he answered and said, "I believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of God." 38 So he commanded the chariot to stand still. And both Philip and the eunuch went down into the water, and he baptized him. 39 Now when they came up out of the water, the Spirit of the Lord caught Philip away, so that the eunuch saw him no more; and he went on his way rejoicing. 40 But Philip was found at Azotus. And passing through, he preached in all the cities till he came to Caesarea.

The fact the eunuch MUST confess belief in Jesus Christ BEFORE Philip will baptize him indicates that it is into Jesus Christ that the eunuch was water baptized. Again I ask you Jerry, what was the eunuch baptized into if not Jesus Christ?

On the other hand,there is no doubt that the sinner is baptized INTO the Body of Christ by the Holy Spirit:

"For by one Spirit were are we all BAPTIZED INTO ONE BODY...the body of Christ"(1Cor.12:13,27).

That is the ONE BAPTISM of Ephesians 4:5.
Does Paul give explicit instructions on how the Holy Spirit baptizes? Or does he NEVER explicitly instruct on how a person is baptized in the Holy Spirit, relying instead on his audience's existing understanding of baptism? He relies on their existing understanding Jerry. And that understanding of baptism is eximplified throughout the NT as water baptism. There are no examples of your 'Holy Spirit Only' baptism.

But water baptism does not conflict with your quotes above, because the Holy Spirit is conferred by water baptism, just as Jesus Himself showed us when the Holy Spirit descended upon Him like a dove when He came up out of the Jordan.

Water baptism doesn't conflict with the idea of 'ONE baptism' either. On the contrary, the fact that there is only ONE baptism supports the idea that water baptism is THE way we are grafted into the Body of Christ. Because there ARE specific instances of baptism being performed with water, and there are no specific instances of baptisms being performed using some other substance or method, like just the laying on of hands or like using mud for baptism, then you have no basis to claim the apostles ever performed this waterless 'Holy Spirit Only' baptism you invented.

So if baptism with water is the ONLY type of baptism specifically described, then we can be sure that was the baptism Peter spoke of in Acts 2:38 when he said those who were baptized would receive the gift of the Holy Spirit.

38 Then Peter said to them, "Repent, and let every one of you be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins; and you shall receive the gift of the Holy Spirit.(Acts 2:38)

The Holy Spirit is conferred upon us in water baptism and we receive the Holy Spirit as we are grafted into the Body of Christ.

As you should now be able to see, the baptism Paul speaks of throughout his epistles is water baptism. But if you can still not see this Jerry, then consider this:

"12 For as the body is one and has many members, but all the members of that one body, being many, are one body, so also is Christ. 13 For by one Spirit we were all baptized into one body--whether Jews or Greeks, whether slaves or free--and have all been made to drink into one Spirit. 14 For in fact the body is not one member but many.
"(1Cor.12:12-14)

Consider the audience and purpose of these words. Paul is explaining that Jews and Greeks are both BAPTIZED into one unified body, that being Jesus Christ. Now what baptism can Paul be so assured he and his audience were all baptized into? Only one Jerry, water baptism, because that is the only baptism men can perform and the only one Paul knew his entire audience had participated in.

And you fail to see the difference of the two baptisms involving the Holy Spirit.In one case,it is the Lord Jesus Who is doing the baptizing,and those who are baptized by Him are baptized with the Holy Spirit for "power" (Mt.3:11;Acts1:5,8).

In the other case,it is the Holy Spirit Who is performing the baptism,and in this case it is the Holy Spirit Who baptizes us INTO Jesus Christ:

"For by one Spirit are we all baptized into one body...the body of Christ"(1Cor.12:13,27).
No, I don't fail to see anything. And what I do see is you creating a difference that doesn't exist. It IS the HOLY SPIRIT that is conferred on the one being WATER BAPTIZED. You are adding words to scripture to arrive at your preconceived notion. None of these verses say the Holy Spirit PERFORMS the baptism Jerry. You add that to the text yourself. What the verse says is simply by receiving the Holy Spirit in baptism, we are grafted into the Body of Christ. And just as the Holy Spirit descended on Jesus when He came out of the WATER, the Holy Spirit descends upon Christians when they receive water baptism.

It is that baptism that "saves" because it is IN THE BODY OF CHRIST where the sinner receives "life".Life is in the Son:

"And this is the ecord,that GOd hth given unto us eternal life,AND THIS LIFE IS IN HIS SON"(1Jn.5:11).
I agree with the fact that receiving the Holy Spirit grafts us into the Body of Christ. Where we disagree is your unbiblical and baseless claim that the Holy Spirit is not conferred in water baptism.

The "baptism" by which we receive life is the baptism by the Holy Spirit into the body of Christ,where there is "neither Greek nor Jew,circumcision nor uncircumcision"(Col.3:11).That fits perfectly with the following words concerning "baptism":

"For as many of you who have been BAPTIZED INTO CHRIST have put on Christ.There is neither Jew nor Greek,there is neither bond nor free...for ye are all one IN CHRIST"(Gal.3:27,28).
I'm glad you see the value in a theological premise agreeing with scripture. The belief I hold agrees with every single verse regarding baptism, receiving the Holy Spirit, and our salvation.

Of course those who have not received the Holy Spirit cannot understand spiritual things and will continue to insist that it is a natural element,like ater baptism,that saves the sinner.
It would appear that you are the one lacking in answers Jerry. You've not provided a single verse that fails to coalesce with my belief that the Holy Spirit is conferred in water baptism, and therefor saves us. And you have failed to answer my question about the eunuch every time I've asked the question Jerry. All you can seem to do is reiterate your baseless claim that the eunuch wasn't baptized into Jesus Christ. Again I ask, what was the eunuch baptized into if not Jesus Christ?

However,for those of us who have been taught by the Holy Spirit,and hve learned to compare "spiritual things with spiritual"(1Cor.2:13),this idea is laughable.
The idea that YOU were taught BY the Holy Spirit is laughable. The idea that the apostles who performed water baptism were in error AFTER they were taught BY JESUS HIMSELF and left in the guidance of THE HOLY SPIRIT is even more laughable. LOL!

We know that in order for the sinner to receive his spiritual regeneration that it takes a Spiritual baptism.He is born again when he hears and believes the gospel which comes in the power of the Holy Spirit.
I agree that the reception of the Holy Spirit is necessary for spiritual regeneration. The Holy Spirit is conferred in water baptism of Christians, just as the Spirit descended on Jesus when He came out of the baptismal waters.

The gospel,the New Testament,is described as the "ministration of the Spirit"(2Cor.3:8),and that is because it comes in the power of the Holy Spirit:

"...who have preached the gospel unto you with the Holy Spirit sent down from heaven"(1Pet.1:12).
And this verse proves that the apostles taught with the grace provided by the Holy Spirit, the same apostles who water baptized. And this particular apostle said this in regard to water baptism:

Baptism, which corresponds to this, now saves you (not the removal of the filth of the flesh, but the pledge of a good conscience toward God) through the resurrection of Jesus Christ. (1 Peter 3:21)[/quote]That is what water baptism is Jerry. We are pledging to lead good lives following God's will. And when we make this pledge, we receive the Holy Spirit. So, as Peter says 'Baptism... now saves you' because of the pledge of good conscience toward God that our baptism is comprised of.

"For our gospel came not unto you in word only,but also in power,and in the Holy Spirit"(1Thess.1:5).
The Holy Spirit can be found to exist in many things and many ways.

And that is why the Lord Jesus says that it is the Spirit which giveth life:

"It is the Spirit which giveth life...The words that I speak unto you,they are Spirit,and they are life"(Jn.6:63).

Those who cannot compare spiritual things with spiritual say."It is the water which giveth life...The rite of water baptism that you submit to is life."

How ridiculous!
Yes, it IS the Spirit which gives life. That is why my profession of faith contains the words 'I believe in the Holy Spirit .... the giver of life...'
But what is ridiculous is the idea that God can't use substances He created to confer His Spirit. Just as Jesus used the water in the pool at Siloam to restore the blind man's sight, He can and does use the waters of baptism to confer His Spirit upon us, to heal the injuries inflicted upon our souls by the sins we commit. For you to deny God's capability to do this is what is truly ridiculous.

The sinner hears and believes the gospel which comes in the power of the Holy Spirit and at that time the Holy Spirit baptizes him into the body of Christ,and it is IN CHRIST that he receives lie.
You're adding words again Jerry. No one, in any way, ever calls hearing the gospel a baptism of the Holy Spirit. If that were true, then everyone who heard the gospel would be baptized into Christ Jesus, and you know that's not the case. And if it were the case, then the apostles wouldn't have been baptizing everyone who just received the gospel. You're just adding to the real message to make it fit your preconceived notion born of the dimmed minds of modern men.

It is inconceivable that the ONE BAPTISM is the "water baptism",especially considering the fact that in order to make "water" the ONE BAPTISM one must exclude the baptism performed by the Holy Spirit.
It is inconceivable the ONE BAPTISM isn't water baptism, especially considering the fact water baptism is the only baptism the NT authors could know their audiences had definitely received.

Your entire argument seems to rest on the idea that the Holy Spirit can't have anything to do with water, particularly water that is used in our pledge to live right before God, that is baptism. You are wrong about this Jerry. Jesus used the water to heal the blind man's sight. Jesus insisted on 'washing' the feet of the apostles and said they would have no part in Him if they didn't let Him wash them. Jesus submitted to the same rite of water baptism, though He was certainly sinless and obviously WAS the Body of Christ, to demonstrate the righteous act that baptism is and to show us the reception of the Holy Spirit in baptism. Why do you have such difficulty understanding that the Holy Spirit has the ability to work through whatever and whoever He wishes? God is capable of anything Jerry, and we don't always understand God's capabilities or reasons.

To prove your claim that 'Holy Spirit Only' baptism is not water baptism, you would have to start by explaining to me what the eunuch was baptized into, if not into Jesus Christ. Then you would have to prove that the Holy Spirit, who is capable of working in and through any substance or creature in the universe, is for some reason incapable of using water baptism to come to those who believe and promise to live good lives. Then you would have to explain why the apostles who Jesus personally taught, and who received a guarantee of guidance by the Holy Spirit, could be so wrong as to insist on water baptism. Then you would have to explain why your cult is the only one to know the real meaning of baptism when the apostles could not discern it even with the instruction of Jesus Christ and the guidance of the Holy Spirit.

That looks like a daunting task Jerry.

God Bless,

Francisco

Jerry Shugart

Francisco,

It is clear to me that when the eunuch believed he was baptized by the Holy Spirit into the body of Christ.

Scripture reveals that it is when the sinner repents and believes then he is placed into the body of Christ by the baptism of the Holy Spirit:

"For by one Spirit are we all BAPTIZED into one body...the body of Christ"(1Cor.12:13).

Scripture SPECIFICALLY states that when the sinner enters the body of Christ it is by the baptism which is performed by the Holy Spirit.

There are NO VERSES in all Scripture which ever says that anyone is ever baptized into the body of Christ by submitting to a rite of water baptism.

Tell me why I should believe you instead of the Scripture passage that SPECIFICALLY state that one is baptized into Christ by the Holy Spirit.

Next,you show each and every one of us that you do not hve a very clear understanding of baptism.You say:

"There are no specific instances of baptisms being performed using other substances or methods...then you have no basis to claim the Apostles ever performed this waterless baptism you invented."

First,I never claimed that it was the Apostles who performed the baptism.I have always maintained that it is the Holy Spirit Who performs the baptism by which one is placed into the body of Christ.

Secondly,you must not be aware of the "baptism" of which the Lord spoke,and it has nothing to do with "water":

"But I have a baptism to be baptized with,and how I am constrained till it be accomplished"(Lk12:50).

That baptism of which He spoke was in regard to His death.So as you can see,baptism is not always spoken of in regard to "water".

And do you really believe that "water" can somehow "baptize" the believer into His death?I can believe that the Holy Spirit can do that,but I find it laughable that anyone could believe such an outlandish thing as the idea that a "water baptism" can baptize one into His death:

"Know ye not that,as many of us were baptized into Jesus Christ were baptized into His death"(Ro.6:4).

And next you demonstrate that you do not understand what was going on in regard to "water baptism".You say that "the Holy Spirit descends upon Christians when they receive water baptism".

But that is not according to Scripture,as Cornelius and his household received the Holy Spirit before a drop of water ever touched them:

"While Peter yet spoke these words,the Holy Spirit fell on all them who heard the word...Then answered Peter,Can any man forbid water,that these should not be baptized,who have received the Holy Spirit as well as we?"(Acts10:44,45).

And by your on words,"we receive the Holy Spirit as we are grafted into the Body of Christ."

Therefore,these men had received the Holy Spirit before they were baptized with water,and by your own words they had been grafted into the Body of Christ before they had been baptized with water.

The task is not so "daunting" when your own words admit to the fact that one enters into the Body of Christ before one is baptized with water.

In His grace,--Jerry

HopeofGlory

From the abundance of the heart the mouth speaketh

From the abundance of the heart the mouth speaketh

And he answered and said, I believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of God. Acts 8:37

The confession of the eunuch is that he believes that Jesus is the Christ but is this believe all that is needed to be place into the body of Christ by the Spirit? Will this believe grant eternal life? The answer to both is NO.

Those possessed of devils made this same confession (Matt 8:29) and it is clear this belief alone will not palce one into the body by the Spirit. Jesus delivered the message of eternal life (Matt 26:28) and the eunuch did not make this profession. Pillip did not deliver the message of eternal life to the eunuch and as a matter of fact the message of eternal life was not even mentioned by the apostles at Pentecost. Paul by the Spirit was the first man to reveal the message of eternal life and it is only by faith in the words of Christ in reference to the new testament can one "drink" (Matt 26:27) (1 Cor 12:13) into the Spirit and be placed into the body of Christ by the Spirit.

The eunuch was baptized into water in the name of Jesus. This water baptism was a witness that Jesus was the Christ. Water baptism in the name of Christ began with the Baptist and it prepared the way of Christ before Christ shed His blood of the new testament for remission. This indentification was exemplified at the water baptism of Jesus with the Voice from heaven saying... This is my beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased (Matt. 3:17).

Israel have to believe that Jesus was the Christ are His death would have been in vain. Many of the disciples believed in His name and were water baptized yet they turned back and followed Him no more because they refused to accept the words of the new testament.

From that time many of his disciples went back, and walked no more with him. John 6:66
Then said Jesus unto the twelve, Will ye also go away? John 6:67
Then Simon Peter answered him, Lord, to whom shall we go? thou hast the words of eternal life. John 6:68
And we believe and are sure that thou art that Christ, the Son of the living God. John 6:69
Jesus answered them, Have not I chosen you twelve, and one of you is a devil? John 6:70

In Christ
Craig

Francisco

Jerry,
Francisco,

It is clear to me that when the eunuch believed he was baptized by the Holy Spirit into the body of Christ.
There is no way you can derive from this scripture that the eunuch was 'Holy Spirit' baptized when he heard the gospel. You are reading that into the text from a desire to support your modern ideas about baptism. The only baptism mentioned in regard to the eunuch was the water baptism Philip performed. And after Philip performed the baptism scripture says 'the Spirit of the Lord caught Philip away'. I would find it very odd and inconsistent if the Holy Spirit had performed some baptism on the eunuch and the author didn't mention it, but mentions the Spirit taking Philip away. Surely a baptism performed by the Holy Spirit, thus saving the eunuch's life would seem much more important here that the Spirit taking Philip away, yet nothing is mentioned about the Holy Spirit baptism you claim. But thanks anyway for finally answering the question directly.

Scripture reveals that it is when the sinner repents and believes then he is placed into the body of Christ by the baptism of the Holy Spirit:

"For by one Spirit are we all BAPTIZED into one body...the body of Christ"(1Cor.12:13).

Scripture SPECIFICALLY states that when the sinner enters the body of Christ it is by the baptism which is performed by the Holy Spirit.
No Jerry, scripture never say that the Holy Spirit PERFORMS baptism. We receive the Holy Spirit IN baptism. You are again just adding to the text to support your modern ideas about baptism.

There are NO VERSES in all Scripture which ever says that anyone is ever baptized into the body of Christ by submitting to a rite of water baptism.
The eunuch was baptized into Jesus Christ through water baptism. It's as plain as the nose on your face Jerry. I've shown you this repeatedly, and all you've been able to come up with so far is 'It is clear to me that when the eunuch believed he was baptized by the Holy Spirit into the body of Christ.' Let's take a look again, just to see if anyone can so clearly see the Holy Spirit baptism you are claiming:

34 So the eunuch answered Philip and said, "I ask you, of whom does the prophet say this, of himself or of some other man?" 35 Then Philip opened his mouth, and beginning at this Scripture, preached Jesus to him. 36 Now as they went down the road, they came to some water. And the eunuch said, "See, here is water. What hinders me from being baptized?" 37 Then Philip said, "If you believe with all your heart, you may." And he answered and said, "I believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of God." 38 So he commanded the chariot to stand still. And both Philip and the eunuch went down into the water, and he baptized him. 39 Now when they came up out of the water, the Spirit of the Lord caught Philip away, so that the eunuch saw him no more; and he went on his way rejoicing. 40 But Philip was found at Azotus. And passing through, he preached in all the cities till he came to Caesarea.

Well, I don't see any reference to a Holy Spirit baptism here Jerry. Does anyone else see this? Please respond if you do.

Tell me why I should believe you instead of the Scripture passage that SPECIFICALLY state that one is baptized into Christ by the Holy Spirit.
I don't disagree that one is baptized into Christ by the Holy Spirit. Where we disagree is your refusal to believe that the Holy Spirit can use a substance like water to confer grace, or to graft us into the Body of Christ.

Next,you show each and every one of us that you do not hve a very clear understanding of baptism.You say:

"There are no specific instances of baptisms being performed using other substances or methods...then you have no basis to claim the Apostles ever performed this waterless baptism you invented."

First,I never claimed that it was the Apostles who performed the baptism.I have always maintained that it is the Holy Spirit Who performs the baptism by which one is placed into the body of Christ.
The problem is the NT authors confidence that their audience has received this invisible Holy Spirit Only baptism you claim exists. If the apostles could not see a baptism performed, then how do they know entire churches have received been baptized? The only answer is a baptism performed by men, and that can only be water baptism Jerry.

Secondly,you must not be aware of the "baptism" of which the Lord spoke,and it has nothing to do with "water":

"But I have a baptism to be baptized with,and how I am constrained till it be accomplished"(Lk12:50).

That baptism of which He spoke was in regard to His death.So as you can see,baptism is not always spoken of in regard to "water".
I'm very well aware of the baptism Jesus talks about in Luke 12:50. However, this was obviously not a baptism that could be PERFORMED so as to be seen by men and known to have taken place.

[And do you really believe that "water" can somehow "baptize" the believer into His death?I can believe that the Holy Spirit can do that,but I find it laughable that anyone could believe such an outlandish thing as the idea that a "water baptism" can baptize one into His death:

"Know ye not that,as many of us were baptized into Jesus Christ were baptized into His death"(Ro.6:4).
Jerry, I find most of what you say laughable, but I'll keep trying to get through to you anyway. I also find it laughable that you have not attempted to answer my questions regarding the blind man who washed the mud from his eyes in the pool at Siloam. It is obvious that Jesus used water to confer the healing grace to the man's eyes. I've asked repeatedly why the Holy Spirit can't use water in a similar manner to heal our souls, yet you've never replied. Do you think you could answer that one next Jerry?

And next you demonstrate that you do not understand what was going on in regard to "water baptism".You say that "the Holy Spirit descends upon Christians when they receive water baptism".

But that is not according to Scripture,as Cornelius and his household received the Holy Spirit before a drop of water ever touched them:

"While Peter yet spoke these words,the Holy Spirit fell on all them who heard the word...Then answered Peter,Can any man forbid water,that these should not be baptized,who have received the Holy Spirit as well as we?"(Acts10:44,45).
I didn't say the Holy Spirit is restricted to descending on people only in baptism. I hope the Holy Spirit fills us and assists us very frequently through our lives, coming to us in many mysteries ways.

And by your on words,"we receive the Holy Spirit as we are grafted into the Body of Christ."

Therefore,these men had received the Holy Spirit before they were baptized with water,and by your own words they had been grafted into the Body of Christ before they had been baptized with water.
The Holy Spirit descended on Cornelius to make it obvious to the apostles that salvation was for the Gentiles as well as the Jews. Do you remember how this all ties into the visions Peter was having about all the 'unclean' animals he was being told to eat? So the Spirit descending on them drove the point home to Peter. Then what did Peter do after realizing that salvation was for the Gentiles too? He asks if anyone could deny water that they may be baptized also. Peter did this when he realized salvation was also for Gentiles. I don't believe Peter would have been so insistent on water baptism immediately after seeing the Holy Spirit descend on Cornelius if he saw water baptism like you do, just a symbol of something that's already taken place. And don't forget, Peter said very clearly that baptism saves.

The task is not so "daunting" when your own words admit to the fact that one enters into the Body of Christ before one is baptized with water.
Evidently, the task isn't daunting when you don't understand the task. You have still failed to refute anything I've said, preferring to continue adding words to scripture and trying to put words in my mouth.

Ok, so you answered my question about the eunuch, although the answer was far from convincing. So, you still need to prove that the Holy Spirit, who is capable of working in and through any substance or creature in the universe, is for some reason incapable of using water baptism to come to those who believe and promise to live good lives. Then you also would need to explain why the apostles who Jesus personally taught, and who received a guarantee of guidance by the Holy Spirit, could be so wrong as to insist on water baptism. Then you would have to explain why your cult is the only one to knows the real meaning of baptism when the apostles could not discern it even with the instruction of Jesus Christ and the guidance of the Holy Spirit.

God Bless,

Francisco

HopeofGlory

Paul thaks God he baptized none!

Paul thaks God he baptized none!

I thank God that I baptized none of you, but Crispus and Gaius; 1 Cor. 1:14
Lest any should say that I had baptized in mine own name. 1 Cor. 1:15
And I baptized also the household of Stephanas: besides, I know not whether I baptized any other.
1 Cor. 1:16
For Christ sent me not to baptize, but to preach the gospel: not with wisdom of words, lest the cross of Christ should be made of none effect. 1 Cor. 1:17

Paul in his first letter to the Corinthians tells us that he thanks God that he had baptized none of them. His words negate the false doctrine of those who believe that one is placed into the body of Christ when they are water baptized.

Baptism by the Spirit unifies all believers into one body, the body of Christ. Paul's letter reveals that water baptism performed by Apollos and Cephas (Peter) brought division and confusion. God is not the author of such and it is foolish to believe that man can instruct God as to the time He must accept anyone. God has not given man the ability to judge the heart of man. Christ sent Paul NOT to water baptized but to preach the Gospel and all who believe the gospel that Paul preached are baptized by the SPIRIT into the body. Water has nothing what so ever to do with the moment God choses to accept a sinner into the body of Christ.

In Christ
Craig

Jerry Shugart

Francisco,

You are under the illusion that no one was able to see it when the Lord Jesus Christ baptized the believers with the Holy Spirit.

But nothing could be further from the truth.Notice what happened on the day of Pentecost:

"And there APPEARED unto them cloven tongues as of fire,and it sat upon all of them.And they were all filled with the Holy Spirit,and began to speak with other tongues..."(Acts2:4).

And this happened BEFORE a drop of water even touched them.

And it is also a fact that Peter knew when the Holy Spirit had fallen on Cornelius and his household.When that happened he was asonished.If there was not visible evidence of that,how did they know that the Holy Spirit had fallen upon them?

And again,they received the Holy Spirit BEFORE they were baptized with water.

And yes,the Holy Spirit can use "temporal" things,like mud,to heal "temporal" things,like blindness.

But in order to make changes in the "spiritual" sphere,it is necessary to use "spiritual" things as well.That is why the sinner receives"spiritual life" when he is baptized into the Body of Christ by the Holy Spirit.

To argue that "temporal" things can change "spiritual" things is to betray an ignorance of Paul´s words to compare "spiritual things with spiritual"(1Cor.2:13).

Even you now admit that "one is baptized into Christ by the Holy Spirit".

And it is in the Body of Christ where one receives eternal life:

"And this is the record,that God hath given unto us eternal life,and this life is in His Son"(1Jn.5:11).

So it is obvious that the ONE BAPTISM is the one performed by the Holy Spirit.

In His grace,--Jerry

HopeofGlory

"And there APPEARED unto them cloven tongues as of fire,and it sat upon all of them.And they were all filled with the Holy Spirit,and began to speak with other tongues..."(Acts2:4).

Jerry, how can we know that these had not already received the baptism of repentance for the remission of sins?

HopeofGlory

Jerry,

Also, you are saying that to be "filled with the Holy Spirit" means "baptized with the Holy Spirit". How can these words be interpreted to mean the same?

Francisco

Francisco,

You are under the illusion that no one was able to see it when the Lord Jesus Christ baptized the believers with the Holy Spirit.

But nothing could be further from the truth.Notice what happened on the day of Pentecost:

I'm under no illusions, but you continue to work under many false assumptions. Here you assume that none of the apostles or other disciples had been baptized. And again it is an assumption with no basis.

BTW Jerry, when you received YOUR Holy Spirit baptism, how long did the tongues of fire dance on your head?

And it is also a fact that Peter knew when the Holy Spirit had fallen on Cornelius and his household.When that happened he was asonished.If there was not visible evidence of that,how did they know that the Holy Spirit had fallen upon them?
And when Peter realized Cornelius had received the Holy Spirit he immediately called for them to be baptized. Why? Because baptism is how we are grafted into the Body of Christ.

And again,they received the Holy Spirit BEFORE they were baptized with water.
Baptism is not the only way one can receive the Holy Spirit. So your point is?

And yes,the Holy Spirit can use "temporal" things,like mud,to heal "temporal" things,like blindness.
On what do you base your claim that the Holy Spirit can only affect 'temporal things'? And tell me, how does temporal mud and water remove blindness? Do ou think it was the actual mud applied to the blind man's eyes, or the water he washed them with, that restored his sight? No! His sight was restored by the grace of God. You're a fool that shouldn't call themselves a Christian if you believe otherwise.

But in order to make changes in the "spiritual" sphere,it is necessary to use "spiritual" things as well.That is why the sinner receives"spiritual life" when he is baptized into the Body of Christ by the Holy Spirit.
Again, you show no basis for this claim. And it seems ridiculous to me that you can say the Holy Spirit can effect 'temporal things' but can't use 'temporal things' to affect our spirit. The Holy Spirit IS the spiritual part of baptism, just as He was the spiritual part of conferring the grace upon the blind man to restore his sight.

To argue that "temporal" things can change "spiritual" things is to betray an ignorance of Paul´s words to compare "spiritual things with spiritual"(1Cor.2:13).
That's not my argument at all. My argument is God can use 'temporal things' any way He pleases. So, who are you to say God cannot confer His grace through water, or mud, or any other substance?

Even you now admit that "one is baptized into Christ by the Holy Spirit".
I never said otherwise. I've only said the Holy Spirit doesn't perform baptism, as you contend. I say that we receive the Holy Spirit in water baptism, and by the Holy Spirit we are grafted into the Body of Christ. But make no mistake, just receiving the Holy Spirit doesn't graft you in. As we've seen before, a confession of faith is required before you can be grafted into the Body of Christ. Then the power of the Holy Spirit will graft you into the Body of Christ.

And it is in the Body of Christ where one receives eternal life:

"And this is the record,that God hath given unto us eternal life,and this life is in His Son"(1Jn.5:11).
Amen!

So it is obvious that the ONE BAPTISM is the one performed by the Holy Spirit.
There you go adding words again Jerry. No where does scripture say the Holy Spirit PERFORMS baptism. There is a huge difference between the Holy Spirit PERFORMING baptism, and the Holy Spirit baptizing us into Christ. And this difference is what's causing your misunderstanding.

In the righteous act of baptism, we SHOW God our faith as He wants us to do. We receive the gift of the Holy Spirit and are grafted into the Body of Christ by the power of the Holy Spirit. But the actual SHOWING of our faith is what baptism accomplishes, and when we SHOW it we are grafted in. Abraham certainly had faith in God BEFORE he started to perform the ritual sacrifice of Isaac, but only when Abraham started to perform the ritual did God reward Abraham for obeying Him. And so in baptism, we are rewarded with the gift of the Holy Spirit for obeying Jesus' wishes that we be baptized.

God Bless,

Francisco

JustAChristian

Re: Re: Re: Re: Rose Colored Glasses...

Re: Re: Re: Re: Rose Colored Glasses...

Originally posted by Jerry Shugart

JustAChristian,

Are you losing your mind?You say that you "never said water baptism saves"!!!

Here are your exact words:

"Baptism by immersion is for the remission of sins.It is essential for the new birth.It is necessary to be in the family of God.It saves"(11-21-2002 8:24AM).

Again,it is clear that your re saying that "baptism by immersion" saves!!!

In His grace,--Jerry

Again, you fail to apologize for what you said. Given a reminder that you have misquoted me, and still you try to twist my words to make the truth of God a lie. Shame! Shame!

Anyone can be "water baptized"! You can "dunk a drunk" but that want save him! You want to try to make it say that I believe the water saves. I have repeatedly told you that the water doesn't save it is baptism in water for the remission of sin that saves (1 Peter 3:19-21). You can see what the bible has on that subject, if you were not so blind to the truth. Get it streight, Jerry, I did not say water saves! But I plainly teach that immersion for the remission of sins is the scriptural command of the Lord (Mark 16:16). It is in baptism that one reaches the cleansing blood of Christ. (Romans 6:3-5).

Last edited:

JustAChristian

Re: Paul thaks God he baptized none!

Re: Paul thaks God he baptized none!

Originally posted by HopeofGlory
I thank God that I baptized none of you, but Crispus and Gaius; 1 Cor. 1:14
Lest any should say that I had baptized in mine own name. 1 Cor. 1:15
And I baptized also the household of Stephanas: besides, I know not whether I baptized any other.
1 Cor. 1:16
For Christ sent me not to baptize, but to preach the gospel: not with wisdom of words, lest the cross of Christ should be made of none effect. 1 Cor. 1:17

Paul in his first letter to the Corinthians tells us that he thanks God that he had baptized none of them. His words negate the false doctrine of those who believe that one is placed into the body of Christ when they are water baptized.

Baptism by the Spirit unifies all believers into one body, the body of Christ. Paul's letter reveals that water baptism performed by Apollos and Cephas (Peter) brought division and confusion. God is not the author of such and it is foolish to believe that man can instruct God as to the time He must accept anyone. God has not given man the ability to judge the heart of man. Christ sent Paul NOT to water baptized but to preach the Gospel and all who believe the gospel that Paul preached are baptized by the SPIRIT into the body. Water has nothing what so ever to do with the moment God choses to accept a sinner into the body of Christ.

In Christ
Craig

Are you going to thank God that you baptized none?

JustAChristian

elected4ever

just a christian- Are you saying that the faith exhibeted in one yealding to be baptized is what saves ie Abraham believeing God and going to a far country? It is not the going that saved Abraham but the believeing. Obedeance is a work of the faith that lies within. Baptism is then the work of the faith within. It is still the faith that saves. Baptism the expression of your faith. I believe that. I though you were saying that water baptism saves. I also believe that faith with no expression is no faith at all.

JustAChristian

We Are Close Together On This...

We Are Close Together On This...

Originally posted by dan37
just a christian- Are you saying that the faith exhibeted in one yealding to be baptized is what saves ie Abraham believeing God and going to a far country? It is not the going that saved Abraham but the believeing. Obedeance is a work of the faith that lies within. Baptism is then the work of the faith within. It is still the faith that saves. Baptism the expression of your faith. I believe that. I though you were saying that water baptism saves. I also believe that faith with no expression is no faith at all.

dan37,

Yes, the faith that obeys is the faith that saves. When one repents of sins and is baptized for the remission of sins, those sins are washed away by the blood of Christ and forgiven and forgotten. This is faith which works by love (Gal. 5:6). For the one that will not listen to the Lord by the word their faith, in whatever sense they may have it, is of no avail (Matthew 7:21-23).

Francisco

dan37 and JustAChristian,

It's exciting to see how close our beliefs really are on this topic. It is always faith that saves us. JAC and I believe that obedience in our faith is what baptism is about. And that obedience is rewarded by the gift of the Holy Spirit.

Abraham had faith in God before God commanded him to sacrifice Isaac. But when Abraham showed his obedience to God by beginning the sacrifice of Isaac, God rewarded Abraham with probably the most significant gift given to any single person in scripture.

Because it was Jesus' command that we all be baptized, we must act according to that wish regardless as to whether it makes sense to certain folks, or even to ourselves. I'm sure Abraham was more than a little confused about why God would want him to kill his only son, but Abraham obeyed through his faith in God.

In an attempt to distance themselves from anything that could look like a 'works salvation', and in some cases I'm sure people do it out of confusion wondering why God wants them to do that, certain people actually refuse to perform the tasks that God has commanded using convoluted reasoning and misinterpretations of scripture to justify their actions in their own minds. They try to twist what JAC and others have said to make it sound as if our belief is ridiculous, like 'water saves'. I've come to understand this is just their defense mechanism when their own convoluted and baseless ideas are challenged. That's why they rarely ever answer JAC or me directly when we ask specific questions.

But just to reiterate, I agree totally with you that it is always by the grace of God through our faith that we are saved.

Jerry Shugart

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Rose Colored Glasses...

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Rose Colored Glasses...

Again, you fail to apologize for what you said. Given a reminder that you have misquoted me, and still you try to twist my words to make the truth of God a lie. Shame! Shame!

Anyone can be "water baptized"! You can "dunk a drunk" but that want save him! You want to try to make it say that I believe the water saves. I have repeatedly told you that the water doesn't save it is baptism in water for the remission of sin that saves (1 Peter 3:19-21). You can see what the bible has on that subject, if you were not so blind to the truth. Get it streight, Jerry, I did not say water saves! But I plainly teach that immersion for the remission of sins is the scriptural command of the Lord (Mark 16:16). It is in baptism that one reaches the cleansing blood of Christ. (Romans 6:3-5).

JustAChristian,

You accuse me of misquoted you,but I did no such thing .I quoted you word for word.Anyone can go see or themselves since I listed the day and time of your post.

Here is another EXACT quote of your words:

"Peter plainly says that bptism saves...He preached baptism in Scts2,and said that it is us unto the forgiveness of sins (Acts2:38).Then,when one is baptized in order to have their sins forgiven,then it is the same as being saved"(11-20-2002 10:58AM).

Here is another EXACT quote of yours:

"Baptism by immersion is for the forgiveness f sins.It is essential for the new birth.It is necessary to be in the family of God.It saves"(11-21-2002 08:24 AM).

So I have not misrepresented nything you have said.It is you who remains confused.

In HIs grace,--Jerry

Jerry Shugart

Re: Rose Colored Glasses...

Re: Rose Colored Glasses...

Freak,

You see! Your problem is that you don't understand or refuse to understand what I write. I have nowhere [NOOOO- WHERE] ever said that water baptism saves. I teach and believe that baptism is a part of the whole of God's plan to save man. There is the need to hear and believe the gospel, repent of sins, confess Christ as God's Son, be immersed to spiritually wash away sins, and rise to walk in newness of life. These all are clearly taught in the four accounts of the biography of Jesus Christ known as the Gospels. Read them and find what wonderful benefits come from obeying the Gospel.

JustAChristian,

If you will but read your own ords you can see that you said:

"I have nowhere [NOOOO-WHERE] ever said that water baptism saves."

Now you accuse me of misquotiung you.You also NOW say that you never said that "water" saves.You insult me and then you attempt to change your own words in order to make me guilty of misquoting you.

Again,you said that you have never said "that WATER BAPTISM saves".

However,your words prove just the opposite.Here they are:

"Baptism by immersion is for the remission of sins.It is essential for the new birth.It is necessary to be in the family of God.It saves" (11-21-2002 10:58 AM).

You are so confused that you are unable to even remember what you have said previously.

In His grace,--Jerry

Last edited:

JustAChristian

Re: Re: Rose Colored Glasses...

Re: Re: Rose Colored Glasses...

Originally posted by Jerry Shugart

JustAChristian,

If you will but read your own ords you can see that you said:

"I have nowhere [NOOOO-WHERE] ever said that water baptism saves."

Now you accuse me of misquotiung you.You also NOW say that you never said that "water" saves.You insult me and then you attempt to change your own words in order to make me guilty of misquoting you.

Again,you said that you have never said "that WATER BAPTISM saves".

However,your words prove just the opposite.Here they are:

"Baptism by immersion is for the remission of sins.It is essential for the new birth.It is necessary to be in the family of God.It saves" (11-21-2002 10:58 AM).

You are so confused that you are unable to even remember what you have said previously.

In His grace,--Jerry

I deem it a shame that you can't see plain and simple English grammar. But, I can understand where you are coming from. You have a Calvinistic doctrine to uphold that says baptism has nothing to do with salvation , so you will never admit that you are wrong because you love your doctrine even though it is contrary to the New Testament on salvation. When I tell you that I have been misquoted by you, you should not try to continue to argue the point but investigate my statement in light of my remarks. If I tell you that I do not hold water baptism to be scriptural you should accept my statement and quit trying to twist it by saying I said baptism does save. My truth statement is that baptism, when for the proper purpose saves. Now, if you want to quote me quote that statement and quit misquoting me otherwise.

JustAChristian