ECT The Grace of God. Is it merited or unmerited?

God's Truth

Looks like the apostles didn't get that message.

Sent from my SM-N910T using TheologyOnline mobile app

Galatians 5:11 Brothers and sisters, if I am still preaching circumcision, why am I still being persecuted? In that case the offense of the cross has been abolished.

Galatians 5:6 For in Christ Jesus neither circumcision nor uncircumcision has any value. The only thing that counts is faith expressing itself through love.

...and more.

Danoh

I do what Jesus tells everyone to do. Jesus doesn't tell everyone to be homeless. Only someone without any understanding would think that Jesus was advocating world wide homelessness and poverty.

Matthew 19:29 And every one that hath forsaken houses, or brethren, or sisters, or father, or mother, or wife, or children, or lands, for my name's sake, shall receive an hundredfold, and shall inherit everlasting life. 19:30 But many that are first shall be last; and the last shall be first.

JonahofAkron

Galatians 5:11 Brothers and sisters, if I am still preaching circumcision, why am I still being persecuted? In that case the offense of the cross has been abolished.

Galatians 5:6 For in Christ Jesus neither circumcision nor uncircumcision has any value. The only thing that counts is faith expressing itself through love.

...and more.

You are still confused about the terms. Sure, circumcision was just in those verses, but you are not understanding his point. In talking about it in these instances (particularly in Galatians), he is clearly referring to the errant belief that you had to circumcise and keep the Torah to be saved. We already established that isn't his belief. And it's not mine.

God's Truth

Matthew 19:29 And every one that hath forsaken houses, or brethren, or sisters, or father, or mother, or wife, or children, or lands, for my name's sake, shall receive an hundredfold, and shall inherit everlasting life. 19:30 But many that are first shall be last; and the last shall be first.

Those who taught the gospel with Jesus left their wives, children, and homes to be traveling preachers with Jesus.

God's Truth

You are still confused about the terms. Sure, circumcision was just in those verses, but you are not understanding his point. In talking about it in these instances (particularly in Galatians), he is clearly referring to the errant belief that you had to circumcise and keep the Torah to be saved. We already established that isn't his belief. And it's not mine.

Circumcision is now useless.

Totton Linnet

Silver Subscriber
The message of the cross is not, "No one has to obey anymore."

You do not obey the faith which faith is that we are the righteousness of God apart from the law. You are in disobedience, the same disobedience as the false apostles at Galatia

Faith is opposite to obeying commands

nikolai_42

Paul was not saved the moment he believed in Jesus.

Jesus told Paul he will tell him what he must do.

Did you hear that? What Paul must DO.

By Paul's own words...he was what he was because of the Grace of God and he did what he did because of that Grace. In fact he goes so far to say that it was the Grace of God that did it.

For I am the least of the apostles, that am not meet to be called an apostle, because I persecuted the church of God.
But by the grace of God I am what I am: and his grace which was bestowed upon me was not in vain; but I laboured more abundantly than they all: yet not I, but the grace of God which was with me.
Therefore whether it were I or they, so we preach, and so ye believed.

I Corinthians 15:9-11

nikolai_42

What's done if this what is God is after for having redeemed us?:

". . . this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent."
John 17:3 (KJV)

Unto what? Union in the Godhead. Would you not have that happen to you?

The righteousness of God is revealed from faith to faith. It isn't immediate. Paul never speaks (that I can remember) in glowing terms about our righteousness, but rather...

Yea doubtless, and I count all things but loss for the excellency of the knowledge of Christ Jesus my Lord: for whom I have suffered the loss of all things, and do count them but dung, that I may win Christ,
And be found in him, not having mine own righteousness, which is of the law, but that which is through the faith of Christ, the righteousness which is of God by faith:

Philippians 3:8-9

He speaks of it as still uncompleted. Not his own righteousness...

Cross Reference

The righteousness of God is revealed from faith to faith. It isn't immediate. Paul never speaks (that I can remember) in glowing terms about our righteousness, but rather...

Yea doubtless, and I count all things but loss for the excellency of the knowledge of Christ Jesus my Lord: for whom I have suffered the loss of all things, and do count them but dung, that I may win Christ,
And be found in him, not having mine own righteousness, which is of the law, but that which is through the faith of Christ, the righteousness which is of God by faith:

Philippians 3:8-9

He speaks of it as still uncompleted. Not his own righteousness...

Gal 2:20 KJV only.