The Easter Debate ~ Lion and DDW on Eschatology (HOF thread)

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Dee Dee Warren

Dear Cherith:

LOLOLOL!!! I know I keep promising to call you soon, but I will, I will!! I was just thinking of that earlier..... Funny, you think I am pelagian, and Lion thinks I am Calvinist, what's a girl to do?? But I think you already knew that theonomy was around the corner with the postmillennialism, didn't you?? But don't worry too much, I am still very much Theonomy Lite, but I am still studying.... Gary DeMar's Ruler of the Nations pushed me over the edge.

Cherith

Theonomy & Semi-Pelagianism

Theonomy & Semi-Pelagianism

Well, semi-pelagian anyway...

Girl, you need to quit reading DeMar and read more of Mr. White (the Reformed BAPTIST)...

Actually, NCT (New Covenant Theology) would be a better antidote to theonomy's slow poison.

I'll pray for you!
--C

D

Dee Dee Warren

Dear Cherith:

I need all the prayer I can get, so I appreciate it Sis :D..... I have not turned paedo-baptist, so you can relax on that point. When we talk, you can try to cure me :p

Lion

King of the jungle
Super Moderator
DD- As you have already stated, we are certainly hung up on Daniel’s 70 week prophesy, however let’s just wait a bit before moving on. There are still a few things to consider.

First, you must quit playing with words and make up your mind. Either Daniel’s 70 week prophesy (including the destruction of the temple, thus making it the Great Tribulation) is covered completely throughout verses 24-27 or they are not. You say that the destruction of the temple is not part of the prophesy because it is not stated in 24, (even though it is stated in 26), but then deny that the rebuilding of the temple is not part of the prophesy because although it is not stated in 24, it is stated in 25.

And if we are going to be exact, the rebuilding of the temple isn’t even mentioned in verse 25, as you claim, but rather only the building of the “wall” and the “street”. Which were historically completed nearly 30 years before the temple was rebuilt, and not before an angry God had to chastise His people for building their city, but neglecting to build His house (the same temple in question) because of their comfort and laziness, as evidenced by:
Hag. 1:1-11 In the second year of King Darius, in the sixth month, on the first day of the month, the word of the LORD came by Haggai the prophet to Zerubbabel the son of Shealtiel, governor of Judah, and to Joshua the son of Jehozadak, the high priest, saying, “Thus speaks the LORD of hosts, saying: ‘This people says, “The time has not come, the time that the LORD’s house should be built.” ’ ”
Then the word of the LORD came by Haggai the prophet, saying, “Is it time for you yourselves to dwell in your paneled houses, and this temple to lie in ruins?” Now therefore, thus says the LORD of hosts: “Consider your ways! “You have sown much, and bring in little; You eat, but do not have enough; You drink, but you are not filled with drink; You clothe yourselves, but no one is warm; And he who earns wages, Earns wages to put into a bag with holes.”
Thus says the LORD of hosts: “Consider your ways! Go up to the mountains and bring wood and build the temple, that I may take pleasure in it and be glorified,” says the LORD. “You looked for much, but indeed it came to little; and when you brought it home, I blew it away. Why?” says the LORD of hosts. “Because of My house that is in ruins, while every one of you runs to his own house. Therefore the heavens above you withhold the dew, and the earth withholds its fruit. For I called for a drought on the land and the mountains, on the grain and the new wine and the oil, on whatever the ground brings forth, on men and livestock, and on all the labor of your hands.”
It isn’t until verse 27 that the sanctuary is actually mentioned in this prophesy and that is at its destruction.

It is of course silly to have to play with verses this way. We should, instead, take them in their natural flow, which clearly reads that 70 weeks are determined for the people and their city. What is determined? All that he is about to describe to take place in the following verses, including the building of the wall, street, and sanctuary. As well as the coming and cutting off of the messiah, the destruction of the city and sanctuary and the end of the war. Daniel even makes a great point, in verse 27, to tie it all together when he says;
”Even until the consummation, which is determined, Is poured out on the desolate.”
Remember in verse 24 where he stated that 70 weeks were determined for the people and the city? Well here in verse 27 he ties it right back to that statement, ending the prophesy stating that what he has foretold is determined.

And then there is an even bigger assumption taken by the preterist’s theology. It is that the anointing of the most holy is referring to the baptism of Christ. We alluded to this before and both seemed to agree that we could not be certain about what the statement actually meant, but then you said:
And on the last issue of the anointing of the Most Holy, you did concede that my position was possible (which of course then makes the rest of my position possible), but are unwilling to see the entire force.
In the first place I do not at all agree that the possibility that the anointing of the Most Holy is referring to the Baptism of Christ, in any way makes the rest of your case possible.

Second, this made me curious so I did some research to find out what the “Most Holy” in that passage was referring to. The Hebrew word used is Ko-Desh (Strong’s #6944). I searched numerous translations and several commentaries and what I found is that this word is never once used (except by you in this one place) in denoting a person, but rather is always used to describe an item, object or building, as in; the Most Holy of places. In fact, and I think you will find this interesting, In most translations it is translated as exactly that, (here are a few examples):
24 “Seventy weeks are decreed for your people and your holy city: to finish the transgression, to put an end to sin, and to atone for iniquity, to bring in everlasting righteousness, to seal both vision and prophet, and to anoint a most holy place. NRSV

24 “Seven times seventy years is the length of time God has set for freeing your people and your holy city from sin and evil. Sin will be forgiven and eternal justice established, so that the vision and the prophecy will come true, and the holy Temple will be rededicated. TEV

24 “Seventy weeks are decreed about your people and your holy city, to finish the transgression, to put an end to sin, and to atone for iniquity, to bring in everlasting righteousness, to seal both vision and prophet, and to anoint a most holy place. English Standard Version

24 “Seventy weeks have been decreed for your people and your holy city, to finish the transgression, to make an end of sin, to make atonement for iniquity, to bring in everlasting righteousness, to seal up vision and prophecy and to anoint the most holy place. NASB

24 Seventy weeks are apportioned out upon thy people and upon thy holy city, to close the transgression, and to make an end of sins, and to make expiation for iniquity, and to bring in the righteousness of the ages, and to seal the vision and prophet, and to anoint the holy of holies. 1890 Darby Bible

24 ‘Seventy weeks are determined for thy people, and for thy holy city, to shut up the transgression, and to seal up sins, and to cover iniquity, and to bring in righteousness age-during, and to seal up vision and prophet, and to anoint the holy of holies. Young's Literal Translation
And even our own NKJV (as well as the American standard version) that translates it as ”and to anoint the Most Holy”, is margin noted as “and to anoint the most holy place.”

One other thing of note here; Jesus is never referred to in the Bible as an object or a building or a thing, although He is referred to in the neuter, once.

This is crippling for your view and takes away even the possibility that the rest of your position might be correct, (according to your own words).

Next; You attempted to discredit my point about God placing time indicators in certain verses:
However you do try and point out other verses where “after” is used to try and demonstrate that “after” cannot allow for any period of intervening time “after” but must imply immediacy...(three verses stressing that an amount of time is not always indicated after which you say)… I could multiply passages, but I think I have embarrassed you enough
Not embarrassed at all, thank you. However the point that I was making is not that all verses give time indicators, but rather that when the matter of time passage is important and relevant to the topic (as in our current discussion), God does give us indicators. Such as stating that Christ would rise in three days. That the world was created in six days. That after sixty two weeks the Messiah shall be cut off.

If God meant that after sixty two weeks and three and a half years had passed, Messiah would be cut off, He would have said so.

Then you say:
I then demonstrated through the Hebraic parallelism present in the text (which you did not touch), that the text then goes on to explicitly state that the Messiah was cut off in the midst of the 70th week, and that the phrases “cut off” and “bring an end to sacrifice and offering” are equivalent.
As for the Hebraic parallelism you propose, I see no reason to take it as such. You already have a presupposed idea for what should be in the verses and then cut and paste them in a way that works to your liking, rather than the way they are written in scripture. I dread to think what kind of theology people could come up with if they decided to start playing the game of rearranging scripture to suit their ends. Oh wait, it’s been done. The Mormons, the JW’s, the…(list goes on all the way to hell).

You then attacked with:
Your allusion that you can prove your case by calculating the crucifixion down to the exact month is also grossly misplaced and anti-contextual to the culture. The Hebraic mind only calculated down to the smallest unit of time mentioned, and in this case, that would be a week of years.
The Hebraic mind? Oh my goodness, weren’t those primitive Hebrews stupid? Why they could only calculate down to the smallest unit of time mentioned!

Well, let’s see about that. Daniel’s 70 week prophesy states:
Dan 9:25 “Know therefore and understand, That from the going forth of the command To restore and build Jerusalem Until Messiah the Prince, There shall be seven weeks and sixty-two weeks (483 years);
Okay, here it is. The 490 years start in the twentieth year of King Artaxerxes. When the proclamation that Jerusalem was to be rebuilt was given by the King himself:
Neh. 2:1 And it came to pass in the month of Nisan, in the twentieth year of King Artaxerxes,
Notice the command is given in the month of Nisan In the year 454 BC.
Dan 9:26 “And after the sixty-two weeks (483 years) Messiah shall be cut off (killed)
Jesus Christ was crucified (not baptized) in the year 29 AD in the month of Nisan.

How do we know this?

Birth of Christ: In the 11th century a Monk named Dionysius Exiguus calculated the date of the birth of Christ and dubbed the time following as AD or anno Domini (in the year of our Lord). Today, Christian scholars recognize that he was off on his dates by about three years, (due to differences in actual years, which are comprised of three hundred and sixty five and a half days, compared to the Jewish calendar year, comprised of only 365 days), and that the actual date of Christ’s birth is about 4 BC, and His death about 29 BC.

Secular history places King Artaxerxes reign from 465 to 425 BC. If you add the 483 years (365 day years) to the 20th year of his reign (445 BC) we find the date of the prophesy to be wrong by about 5 years. However, if you adjust the 483 years to correspond correctly with the Jewish 360 day year, and adjust for the leap years as well as the century leap years, you amazingly come up with 29 AD, in the month of Nisan.

However there is another strong argument, posed by E.W. Bullinger, that gives very strong evidence that secular history is wrong about Artaxerxes’ reign, and that the correct date that the command was given was in the year 454 BC. Adding 483 years to 454 equals, again 29 AD. The truly incredible thing is that either way, the year of the crucifixion is reached and both in the month of Nisan. Why is that important? Because Christ was crucified in 29 AD during the month of Nisan.

Hebraic mind, DD? Prophesy! And it does not allude to the year or the month of Christ’s baptism, but only to the time of His crucifixion. Thus, undeniably, placing the crucifixion at the end of the 69th week, and the Great Tribulation at the beginning of 70th week. And therefore totally refuting the preterist’s position.

I would like to go on, but we’ve covered a lot so let me summarize.

I have shown you that the common reading of Daniel’s prophesy places the crucifixion at the end of the 69th week (with no 3-1/2 year gap), and the following great tribulation (as well as the destruction of the temple) as the 70th week.

I have proven that one of your main arguments, (that the anointing of the most holy) refers to a place (the temple) and not to the baptism of Christ.

I have proven that Daniel’s 490 year prophesy, points directly to the crucifixion of Christ (the exact same year and month), with the Great Tribulation to immediately follow. And that the 483 years can in no way be speaking of the baptism of Christ, thus destroying the preterist timeline.

And we didn’t even get to the stuff you have still refused to comment on such as your mis-statement of the Jeremiah 18 passage in regards to God relenting of the harm he would do to Israel even though they didn’t repent.

As well as the corner you painted yourself into when stating that Jesus leaves out the crucial mention of the day of the “vengeance of God”;
Is. 61:2 To proclaim the acceptable year of the LORD, And the day of vengeance of our God; To comfort all who mourn,

Luke 4:19 To proclaim the acceptable year of the LORD.”
Okay, enough for tonight, my fingers are getting tired. It was a fun discussion and very informative. Being an Acts-9 OV’er I’ve never been that interested in the end times, (since it’s for the nation of Israel and I ain’t that). But I very much appreciate you pushing me to learn more about it. Thank you. I'm sure Knight will accept your towel.

D

Dee Dee Warren

Ahh, and after my alleged silence on the Jeremiah 18 passage, which I am gearing up towards, your silence on the rest of the timing issues is deafening, I can even hear it above the crickets. :p

D

Dee Dee Warren

Oh and Lion, your last paragraph has left me somewhat confused. On one hand, the wording seems to be that you think that you have gotten the last shot and want to bail, but on the other hand it seems like we still have a long way to go (which we certainly do). Please clarify for me... forum postings are difficult sometimes without the tone etc that verbal conversations give us.

Lion

King of the jungle
Super Moderator
I must be blind

I must be blind

Salutations, Carl Smuda. I am sorry it took me so long to respond to your greeting, I missed it the first time I went to this page.

And in answer to your question
”Do you know when this theology really started?”
I will have beg ignorance. However I believe that Sanders goes heavily into the history of the Open View in one of his books. I can not remember which one right now, but I will certainly try and find it for you.

And again, I’m sorry for taking so long.

Lion

King of the jungle
Super Moderator
DD-The only kind of “bail” that is in my vocabulary is the kind that lets evildoers out of jail so they can do more crimes. (Sorry, that’s cop humor).

I just figured that after that dunking, you might need a towel to…dry off, or throw in…or something.

Oh, and as to the other issues I didn’t touch on, believe me I wanted to, but I was already over 11,000 characters, and thought I had better stop there. Besides, I would think the stuff already mentioned would make the rest of those points rather needless.

D

Dee Dee Warren

Well I can understand your reticence to deal with those timing passages. I would be too if I were you :D And I agree, the stuff already mentioned does make the rest of the points rather needless since I have already abundantly proven my case with what I have already said, but what can I say? I am an overachiever.

D

Dee Dee Warren

Gah! Do I have to clean the litter box again?

Gah! Do I have to clean the litter box again?

Dear Lion:

Last things first. You can attempt to make a lot of hay about my alleged avoidance of Jeremiah 18 if you like as a deflection tactic, but the fact is that I am being very detailed in handling Daniel 9, and if my posts were any longer I would draw a rebuke from Knight. If you are very eager to get to that passage out of turn, then allow me two posts in a row, and it will be disposed of. Otherwise, it will come in due time. Now I know cats are finicky but you have been doing some real selective choosing of which points of mine you are going to deal with and at other times engage in much hand-waving and posturing…. Vogue anyone?

For example, I have noticed your absolute silence on at least two occasions of my pointing out the Great Tribulation is nowhere (unless you beg the question on this passage) said to be seven years. This deals your chronology a terrible blow, so no wonder you have swept it under the rug. Second, though I did allow you time to study it out, you cannot have a coherent picture of the seventy weeks (nor can I comprehensively demolish your view) until you disclose who you believe the “he” is of verse 27. I have already very conclusively shown that it is Christ and refers to His work on the Cross. This is very important as, if I am correct, then the text explicitly states that His crucifixion falls in the middle of the seventieth week, thus your avoidance of this verse is not acceptable.

Now further onto the idea of when He was crucified, you again are dancing quite suavely, but I am not in the mood for the Mambo. The text explicitly says that AFTER the 69 weeks, the Messiah is cut off. You keep insisting that He was crucified within the 69 weeks, specifically at the end of same, but the text does not say that. You also keep appealing to the normal flow of conversation, and yet repeatedly violate your own mantra. Why doesn’t after means after? There is nothing unclear about “after” is there? And as far as the normal flow of conversation, we also must ask ourselves, normal to who? Us moderns or the original audience? I have demonstrated the Hebraic parallelism there, and rather than offering any rebuttal whatsoever, you simply sneered at it as if a mephitic glare would make it go away. It does not. The word after as I have demonstrated, simply means “following” and does not carry with it any implied baggage that said event is instantaneous. The verses I provided abundantly proved that point.

And about the idea of natural to who when reading a text, your deprecation without any supporting facts of my assertion about the Hebraic mindset serves no purpose, and although it may give your supporters some cheap comfort, it would not provide anything to anyone seeking for the truth on the issue. There was nice case of attempted well-poisoning [violation of Cypertopia Statute 4.323(a)(1)] by implying that I said that the ancients were so stupid that they were unable to think beyond the lowest increment of time mentioned, but of course that is not what I said. Are you denying in the Hebrew culture that this is the way that they dealt with chronological issues? This is a well-documented, and non-controversial fact which makes your whole hoo-ha about calculating down to the exact month misplaced for that reason alone, in addition to the fact that whole prophecy is geared towards cycles of Jubilee years in the first place, and that the dating of very ancient events, despite your swagger, is a very imprecise and suspect science. Are you aware that we have rabbinical records much older than the sources you cite that thoroughly disagree with your data?

Now to backtrack once again to the issue of whether or not the destruction of the Temple falls within the seventy weeks or not (and referring again by reference to the fact that the Tribulation is not seven years to begin with, thus eliminating the entire 70th week = Tribulation as a possibility). You have stated that my only textual reason for putting the destruction outside of the 70 weeks is because it is not one of the stated goals in verse 24, which of course, silly me, I take at their face value. However, that has never been the only reason to a precise reader. I thoroughly demonstrated by going though verses 25-27 that the weeks are taken up by other events explicitly described thus putting said destruction outside the 70 weeks by sheer process of elimination. Ironically though, in examining these issues, I have found a better way to argue your own position if I were you which I will now do for you. If you were to hold that the baptism of Christ does mark the end of the 69th week, and that Christ was then crucified midway through the 70th week, that would leave the immediate three and one-half years after His death for the Great Tribulation which you can then say was postponed about one year into it. This would be much more faithful to the chronology of the seventy weeks (especially that nasty little “after” word which refuses to budge despite all your hand-waving and tail-wagging), and be true to the rest of Scripture that times the Great Trib at three and one-half years. Of course I can defeat this on other grounds, but if I were you, that would make much more sense than the tact you are now taking.

I have another proffer as well though to the idea that the destruction falls outside the seventy weeks, and this again, is proven by that pesky little verse to your position, verse 24. Young’s Literal Translation gives us an insight into this:

Seventy weeks are determined for thy people, and for thy holy city, to shut up the transgression, and to seal up sins, and to cover iniquity, and to bring in righteousness age-during, and to seal up vision and prophet, and to anoint the holy of holies.

The six goals are actually arranged in three sets of couplets which is very common in Hebrew thought which things you have resisted since interpreting this passage in its literary form is very damaging to you. I didn’t expect such modern chauvinism from you which is much more typical of the KJV-only crowd.

The first couplet the is “shut up the transgression” and “seal up sins.” These two ideas are intimately related to each other. In the 70 weeks, Israel would finish its transgression against God by murdering their Messiah, and then their sins would be “sealed up” which implies a setting aside for future judgment. This is another strong textual hint that the destruction and judgment upon the city are a result of the 70 weeks not within the Jubilee redemption. For those who reject the redemption, judgment is sure to come, but it will not despoil the perfect Jubilee by according in its midst. You have consistently missed that point.

Now as far as whether the initial rebuilding of the Temple is “part” of the prophecy or not, we must quibble on what you mean by “part.” If you mean “part” by stating that it is one of the goals to be accomplished within the 70 weeks then no. But I have never stated that the only events on earth that happen during the 70 weeks are the things mentioned, I have only stated that those goals are exactly that, the goals, the pinnacles towards which the prophesy is reaching, i.e. the focus of the prophesy which is solely Messianic and redemptive. As a distraction, you speak about the fact that the rebuilding of the Temple (only the city) was never mentioned in verse 25, well I would say that is true only if you want to be pedantically facile. The word for the command to “restore” means to bring back to its former glory (see also Jeremiah 33:7).

All of this of course was done to divert attention away from the fact that you have made Christ’s earthly ministry completely irrelevant to this prophesy, despite the fact that He made claim to be the Anointed One (which is the meaning of the Hebrew phrase “Messiah”) bringing in the redemptive Jubilee in Luke 4:18 and claiming that the time was fulfilled BEFORE His crucifixion in Mark 1:15:

Now after John was put in prison, Jesus came to Galilee, preaching the gospel of the kingdom of God, 15 and saying, “The time is fulfilled, and the kingdom of God is at hand. Repent, and believe in the gospel.”

… which machine guns your position and is unexplainable by you in any meaningful way. The only passage which explicitly times the coming of the Messiah (and by implication His Kingdom) was Daniel 9 (and Daniel 2). Jesus is making obvious reference to both. You cannot escape this, and it was BEFORE the crucifixion, utterly supporting my chronology. And this of course then explains something already noticed by the precise reader, and that is that there are two Messianic events in verses 25-26 – the until Messiah the Prince which happens at the end of the 69th week, and then the cutting off of the Messiah which the text explicitly states is after the 69th week. The Messiah is presented first, and then He is rejected. You have hopelessly conflated the two. All of the ducks line up and are quacking to my tune.

Now, and I am really sorry to have to do this to you, but you really should have been more thorough in doing your homework with regards to the “anointing of the Most Holy.” Tsk, tsk, tsk. It is true that many translations render it “anoint the Most Holy place.” But the fact is that the word “place” does not appear in the text, it is added by the translators according to their bias as to what they believe the text means. I am not using the word “bias” pejoratively, I am stating an acknowledged fact. You claim that “kodesh” is never used of a person, but always a place. I wish you had thought a little more deeply about this in light of the New Testament which teaches that all such rituals and places were merely symbolic of heavenly realities which all point to Christ. So even if your point were rock solid (which it is not as I will demonstrate further), it would not matter in light of this typological fact. And if you are going to insist otherwise, then you will be in a pickle in Isaiah 53:10 which speak of the Messiah’s seed which a Jewish skeptic will tell you can never refer to anything but literal natural children. But….. your assertion that “kodesh” (holy) is not used of persons in the OT is flat out wrong, as a simple use of a concordance would have informed you (Exodus 22:31; Leviticus 21:6; Numbers 18:17; Ezra 8:28, 9:2; Psalm 51:11; Isaiah 6:13, 62:2, 63:10; Ezekiel 36:38; Daniel 12:7) and is in fact used of persons (or animals) multiple times in the Old Testament. In the Septuagint in that verse, the Greek work for “holy” is “hagios” (Strong’s 40) which of course is often used of Christ (see especially Acts 3:14 and Revelation 3:7). And also note how, if it refers to the anointing of the Temple, that it completely shoots your argument in the foot, for then the only reference to the Temple in the verse 24 mission statement would refer to the building of the Temple, not its destruction! Oops! And my position stands irregardless for the reasons already said. Drat!

And what was that you said about the rest of the very damaging New Testament timing verses??? Oh that’s right. Nothing.

That was easy. :D :p

Y

Yxboom

Re: I must be blind

Re: I must be blind

Originally posted by Lion
And in answer to your questionI will have beg ignorance. However I believe that Sanders goes heavily into the history of the Open View in one of his books. I can not remember which one right now, but I will certainly try and find it for you.
Go on Rocky. I will take this one for you. Chapter 2 Historical Considerations in The Openness of God also in his own book The God Who Risks.

drbrumley

Wow!

Wondering if anything will be left for me when Dee Dee finally gets back to me since this is so detailed on both sides of this issue. Might as well just give up.

Carl Smuda

Re: Re: I must be blind

Re: Re: I must be blind

Originally posted by Yxboom
Go on Rocky. I will take this one for you. Chapter 2 Historical Considerations in The Openness of God also in his own book The God Who Risks.
Yxboom, thank you. Can you give me a brief on the historical considerations covered in that chapter? What are the historical considerations that He covers? Do I have to go buy his book to find out? respectfully,

Carl Smuda

Lion and Yxboom,
Okay, I see from a quick search that this Open idea does go back into the 1800's and before. Okay. I'll go ruminate. Thanks.
sincerely,

Y

Yxboom

Re: Re: Re: I must be blind

Re: Re: Re: I must be blind

Originally posted by Carl Smuda
Yxboom, thank you. Can you give me a brief on the historical considerations covered in that chapter? What are the historical considerations that He covers? Do I have to go buy his book to find out? respectfully,
Although a brief summary will do grave injustice to any position, I will advise starting a thread perhaps Historical Considerations of the Open View where it would be more appropriately discussed. :)

Lion

King of the jungle
Super Moderator
Rocky Raccoon slipped back in his room only to find...

Rocky Raccoon slipped back in his room only to find...

Yo Adrian! (I mean YXBoom) You did it!

(Thanks)

Lion

King of the jungle
Super Moderator
Hey mermaid, in the new earth there won't be a sea for you to swim in.

Hey mermaid, in the new earth there won't be a sea for you to swim in.

DD-You say that I am making a big deal out of you not answering my questions, but that I am sneakily avoiding yours. The truth is I have stated in my posts why I haven’t gotten to certain points, and have almost always dealt with the ones I missed on the next go round (unlike you). I did ask for a week to look into, who the he is in the prophesy, and you said that would be okay, and then blasted me for not answering who “he” is just three days later? (Hmmmm, maybe this is really one of those three and one half Hebraic measurements and you are cutting me down in the middle of the week).Or perhaps it is you, and not the Hebrews who have a problem with what a week means.

Okay, the he (notice the small “h”, and don’t go crazy on me - I know the original doesn’t have capitals), is the antichrist. That one has now been answered for you. NEXT!
For example, I have noticed your absolute silence on at least two occasions of my pointing out the Great Tribulation is nowhere (unless you beg the question on this passage) said to be seven years.
The great Tribulation is the same one as spoken of in Daniel’s 490 year prophesy, and the same one as spoken of in Revelation. And it isn’t three and one half years as you proclaim, it is seven years, just as the prophesy states. It becomes much harsher for Israel in the last three and a half years, once the temple and the city are destroyed, and that is why such a big deal is made out of the time, times, and half a time. That of course coincides perfectly with verse 24
Then he shall confirm a covenant with many for one week; But in the middle of the week He shall bring an end to sacrifice and offering.
The end of sacrifice and offering is a result of the destruction of the temple and the need of the Israelis to flee to the mountains.

Next!
The text explicitly says that AFTER the 69 weeks, the Messiah is cut off. You keep insisting that He was crucified within the 69 weeks, specifically at the end of same, but the text does not say that. You also keep appealing to the normal flow of conversation, and yet repeatedly violate your own mantra. Why doesn’t after means after? There is nothing unclear about “after” is there? And as far as the normal flow of conversation, we also must ask ourselves, normal to who?
We have gone over it numerous times, but once again you are speaking out of both sides of your mouth. You make a big deal out of Messiah being cut off after the 69th week but then try and say it is perfectly normal to insert a three and one half year gap in the same meaning. The crucifixion is the culmination of the 69th week and announces the beginning of the 70th week, the great tribulation. And what a way to kick it off, with the unmistakable climax of the Messiah’s death. I have consistently proven you wrong on this point, even going to the trouble of showing you how the word determined is used three times during the prophesy. Once at the beginning, the middle and then at the end to finish the prophesy, (which of course you ignored).
Dan. 9:24 “Seventy weeks are determined For your people and for your holy city… 26… Shall destroy the city and the sanctuary. The end of it shall be with a flood, And till the end of the war desolations are determined27… Even until the consummation, which is determined
And then you state that you don’t believe the material I advanced showing that the 490 year prophesy was proved accurate by the fact that it precisely dated the death of Messiah, down to the month.
…and that the dating of very ancient events, despite your swagger, is a very imprecise and suspect science. Are you aware that we have rabbinical records much older than the sources you cite that thoroughly disagree with your data?
Are you saying that the prophesy is wrong? That it is inaccurate? One of the founding prophesies proving God’s ability to bring something to pass? And if it is not wrong, try and prove what month the baptism of Christ happened in, one thing we know for sure, it wasn’t Nisan! We do however know that Christ was crucified in the month of Nisan, and that the command to rebuild the city was given in the month of Nisan, but that’s not good enough for you. Just the most incredible fulfillment of prophesy in the Bible. You say you can prove this prophesy wrong? Bring it on. Let’s see if you can. Atheists have tried for centuries.

Then you say:
I have found a better way to argue your own position if I were you which I will now do for you.
You’re right, I could take that track, but why would I want to since it has been so effectively proven wrong during this discussion?

And as to your couplet theory, I refer you back to my last post. It sounds good if you decide to look at it through preterists filters, and ignore the actual text. As to the leaving out of Christ’s earthly ministry, I answered that as well, when I said that His appearing, (in this prophesy), is primarily concerned with His death, because that is what the dating relates to, as well as the beginning of the Tribulation, which happens to be what Daniel’s vision is all about. You are so focused on preterists details that you cannot see the forest for the trees. The entire thrust of this prophesy is about setting a date for Messiah’s death, (that is accurate and record able, just as with His birth, so that it cannot be denied), as well as bringing in the needed information about the end times.

Then you make the statement of:
”…which machine guns your position and is unexplainable by you in any meaningful way. The only passage which explicitly times the coming of the Messiah (and by implication His Kingdom) was Daniel 9 (and Daniel 2).Jesus is making obvious reference to both. You cannot escape this, and it was BEFORE the crucifixion, utterly supporting my chronology.
Well I certainly hope it was before the crucifixion. And this does nothing to bolster your position, it only shows that the first appearance of Christ would be followed quickly by His death, the Tribulation and then the second coming. Which follows much better with my position, where there is no forty year gap before the tribulation and who knows how many years before the second coming? (I of course have to assume you do not believe that Christ has bodily returned).

However, as a side note I have a request: Please give me a timeline or a short overview of the preterists chronology of the bible. I would be glad to do the same for you, of course you already have a copy of the Plot, but if you want I would be glad to give you one. When we first started to converse I thought our ideas might be close, however that may have been very premature on my part. And feel free to make it a second post. And while we are on that subject; This is not a Battle Royal, so please make as many posts as you like, one after the other or what ever you need. I will respond the best that I can.

About ko-desh. I’m sorry, I thought I explained that well enough, but I must have been mistaken. The words ko-desh, ko-desh (sorry don’t have the Hebrew font on my computer) without the definite article, (in said placement with anoint) are never used in conjunction with a person, only with an object, a place, or a thing. That is why I made the statement about Christ never being referred to as a thing. The closest the Bible gets is to describe Jesus in the neuter position, but never as a thing. The correct translation of the verse is best served as; “To anoint a most holy place”. Your attempt to state that Christ could be the object considered here, is negated by the fact that Jesus is never referred to as an object as stated before. For you to take this stance would require you to state that this is the only place in the bible that uses it as such.

Then you said:
And what was that you said about the rest of the very damaging New Testament timing verses??? Oh that’s right. Nothing.
I assume you are again referring to the last half of the tribulation period. Already answered above.

Now, how about that Jeremiah passage? Why is it that God, who wanted to give Israel her kingdom, and would use the tribulation period to purify her so that she was ready to accept it, went ahead with the plan even though Israel refused to repent? Not a very good Father, going back on his word like that and rewarding bad behavior with good.

Oh, and any response to that painted corner of Luke 4:19 that I brought up?

D

Dee Dee Warren

Dear Lion:

Since you have freed me up to make more than one post, I would like to dispose of a few nigglies quickly.

DD-You say that I am making a big deal out of you not answering my questions, but that I am sneakily avoiding yours. The truth is I have stated in my posts why I haven’t gotten to certain points, and have almost always dealt with the ones I missed on the next go round (unlike you).

Hmm, that is called satire. I was using it for effect. I don't think that either of us are sneakily avoiding anything but now that you see that it is not fair to be accused of it yourself, perhaps you will not use that tactic any longer with me. That was my only goal, and I see that it may have achieved its desired effect. But on that note, you say that when you have not gotten to certain points you almost always deal with them on the next round, while there is one HUGE point that you have not dealt with, but I do not think it is sneaky since you seem to have misunderstood my reference to it as follows:

Then you said:
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I assume you are again referring to the last half of the tribulation period. Already answered above.

Oh, no, no, no....... Here is exactlywhat I referring to, and I would love for you to address this point before I make my next substantive post, but if you don't want to, that is cool as well. Here is the points copied from an earlier post (I believe the one before my last one)

Since the plan has been put on hold. And since there are no prophesies to indicate when God will resume working with Israel, (except for the passage concerning the fullness of the gentiles), no one knows when it will happen. None of the apostles knew, including Paul or John, and neither do we. So they adopted the attitude that it would be soon, just as we should adopt the same attitude, acting as if it will come tomorrow so that we will be ever watchful.

Eeek!! Don’t make me choke! That is not what the texts say whatsoever which I find very ironic in light of what I see of certain hyperliteralizations you do of certain OT texts regarding God’s knowledge. Are you suggesting that the Greek language is devoid of means to express the concept that the events might be soon but no one knows?? The apostles were just as emphatic as Christ was on the soon approaching eschatological event, and you quite arbitrarily, because of an imposed grid, accept the face value statements of one and not the others. This error is quite transparent. Let’s look at a few of the more embarrassing ones for you, shall we?? (and I can prove later that Paul did in fact have an idea of the far timing of the Second Coming which you have improperly conflated with Christ’s “soon” judgment-coming in AD70)

Revelation 1:3Blessed is he who reads and those who hear the words of this prophecy, and keep those things which are written in it; for the time is near.

Note that this verse tells us that the time is near. Near meant then exactly what near means now. Near does not mean could be near, might be near, or I don’t know if it is near so we should act as if it is. There is nothing equivocal or vague about this term at all. In order to further clarify this point…

Daniel 8:26Therefore seal up the vision, for it refers to many days in the future.

Daniel is told that his vision was for many days in the future, and in fact we know that the coming of Christ was hundreds of years into his future, thus, many days in the future. However, very similar phrasing appears in Revelation.

Revelation 22:10Do not seal the words of the prophecy of this book, for the time is at hand.

John is told the complete opposite. If the Bible has any continuity, then this means exactly what that says. And it says “at hand,” not could be at hand, might be at hand, or I don’t know if it is at hand but we should act like it is.

And though I have many more to rub in on this topic… here is a bone-cruncher:

1 John 2:18 Little children, it is the last hour; and as you have heard that the Antichrist is coming, even now many antichrists have come, by which we know that it is the last hour.

John is emphatic. While before apostles preached the “last days,” the event was now so near that it was the “last hour.” And John says not that he thinks it might be the last hour, or that they should act like it is the last hour, he says that WE KNOW it is the last hour. Ouch.

And I will take up your Jeremiah 18 issues in a separate post fromthe Daniel issues. Hopefully though I will just post them at the same time. Fair notice.... this is a rough week for me when I will be out of the house with little time.

And for the record again, so there is NO confusion. I do not beleive that Jesus has bodily returned, and I do believe that He will do so at some point in the future. There is a heretical group of people who call themselves preterists (whom I denounce) that deny the future bodily return of Christ and the future bodily resurrection. I am not one of those.

D

Dee Dee Warren

Dear Lion:

However, as a side note I have a request: Please give me a timeline or a short overview of the preterists chronology of the bible.

That is a rather broad request for a short overview, so I am not sure what you want. Additionally, please be aware that preterism standing alone does not provide all of the chronology issues, but rather preterism combined with a millennial position does, and as you are aware I am postmillennial.

So here is what I think you are looking for:

First century, Christ comes, makes atonement, and ascends to the Father to receive His Kingdom and begins His reign. He is pubically vindicated at the destruction of the Jerusalem which marks the official (rather than judicial) end of the Old Covenant age, and ushers in the Millenium, i.e the age to come from both Jesus and Paul's perspective (and there is no way around this which I willl painfully prove to you later). He will reign until all of His enemies are subjugated at which time He will bodily return victorious. He will not have to torch the earth at His return. The final days of this age (for the most part - one exception) will not be marked by apostasy and evil but of Gospel blessedness and peace. At this point, when Christ returns, He resurrects the damned and the saved and the eternal state begins.

When we first started to converse I thought our ideas might be close, however that may have been very premature on my part.

We are very close on some things in theory, but in practical outworking, we are not close at all. Specifically, we are very close in that we believe Christ meant exactly what He said by the near timing words in the NT.... in other words we are both exegetical preterists when it comes to the Olivet Discourse. You, however, believe that although Jesus did really predict things to happen then that such things were delayed or interrupted.... which makes you a practical futurist, even though you are an exegetical preterist on that passage. That is a large difference, but also a very common ground at the same time. I don't have to prove to you that generation means generation etc. However, you do become very inconsistent in that hermeunetic in later NT books where all of a sudden soon does not mean soon and near does not mean near. You on those passages are for all intents and purposes a futurist.

We are also very close on the idea that Acts 9 was a very significant turning points with regards to ethnic Israel. We differ on the details and the logical outworking, but we do agree on that major point as contra persons who place the major emphasis on Acts 2 etc.

In these respects, I have much more in common with you than a typical futurist such as Jerry in the Battle Royale.

Now, when I started this discussion, I was unsure how foundational to your view eschatology is. For example, as has been pointed out here, if I convinced any OVer of preterism, it would not of necessity casue them to abandon their OV views. The two can peacefully co-exist in one person without major modification of eithe view. However, preterism cannot be held by a dispensationalist of your flavor. The two ideas cannot be both be right without major modification.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Be careful Lion... remember your in Colorado and you can be thrown in jail for the type of spanking your giving Dee Dee. ;) :D

Status
Not open for further replies.