The Easter Debate ~ Lion and DDW on Eschatology (HOF thread)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Y

Yxboom

Re: Super heroes are cool!

Originally posted by Lion
Yxboom-You have some of the best posts and the best avatars on TOL!
And you are the representative of our view and my champion in this debate.....hmmm the compliment with interest and intensified in return :D

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER

Originally posted by Lion
Yxboom-You have some of the best posts and the best avatars on TOL!
Oh great..... just what need.... YxBoom with even a larger head. :(

Y

Yxboom

Re: Re: Super heroes are cool!

Originally posted by Knight
Knight are you needing affirmation. In front of the mirror say this 5 times..."I am a good admin....I am good enough....and gosh darn people like me!"

ebenz47037

Proverbs 31:10
Silver Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Knight

Then, Dee Dee and I could invite all of TOL to move in with us! :crackup:

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
I think I will rename this debate between Lion and Dee Dee to:

The Easter Debate. Lion makes a post, three days later Dee Dee responds, Lion makes his response..... three days later Dee Dee makes a post, and so on and so on....... :D ;)

D

Dee Dee Warren

Knight LOLOLOLOL... tell Boom to stop distracting me!! (excuses, excuses, excuses). And actually you are being generous.. my responses have taken more than three days. I have been extraordinarily busy.. I did have to take some time out to assist a good friend, but now I am back on track (hopefully).

D

Dee Dee Warren

LOLOLOL.... give us one of those fantastic poses like the one in the gallery!!! (and congrats Grace - you are the hostess with the mostess - YOU GO GIRL!!!)

Lion

King of the jungle
Super Moderator
Just peeking?

Just peeking?

Hmmmm… DD- I see one of your friends is perusing our conversation. Say hello to Mr. Holding for me.

I havent seen JP in a while.

Last edited:
D

Dee Dee Warren

Sure thing Lion!! But then again, if he is reading this... you have just told him yourself :D

D

Dee Dee Warren

The “week-est” link?

The “week-est” link?

Dear Lion:

First, let’s feed the strays - we must soon get to the idea of the “end of the age” and the end of the world, the bite you will get from that snake may surprise you :) as I can utterly disprove the premillennial timeline. Confident little bugger aren’t I??

Also, there is a lot of material to cover, so I have decided to concentrate primarily on the Daniel issues, putting aside a few of the other issues temporarily until this is exhausted so that I do not draw yet another rebuke from Knight (the heckling is bad enough) :noid:

So now onto the main enchilada:

Is the destruction of the Temple an event to fall within the seventy weeks?

Of course I said no and proved that point by demonstrating that Daniel 9:24, which is Gabriel’s declaration of the goals for the seventy weeks, does not mention the destruction of the Temple even once. That is significant and was pretty much hand-waved away. You have agreed that the destruction of the Temple was a result of their rejection of the Messiah (that will be a costly admission later) but deny that this can even place the destruction of the Temple outside of the 70 weeks, by stating:

The entire prophecy is because of their rejection.

Really?? Is that your final answer?? If so, then your insistence that the last week was stopped because they rejected their Messiah makes even less sense than before. :D I have provided evidence that the entire prophecy of the 70 weeks is redemptive in context based upon the obvious Jubilee pattern. The judgment falls as a result of rejecting the completed redemption, it is not part of the completed redemption. Jesus gives us a major clue to this when He cited Isaiah 61:1-2 in Luke 4:18, claiming to be the fulfillment of the Jubilee, and omitted the last sentence speaking of the “day of vengeance of our God.”

Now onto to the cutting off of the Messiah … the only thing that we agree upon thus far is that the text says that this cutting off will occur after the 69th week, which only leaves during the 70th week. So far so good… you are moving rapidly in the right direction. However, we quibble on what part of the 70th week. You seem to be claiming it would be the very first moments of the 70th week (thus conceding I am right that the crucifixion is in the 70th week) and state that there is no implication of a three and one half year interjection. Well as a matter of fact, if we are considering only verse 26 there is no implication of “immediately after” either as a matter of plain fact.

Nonetheless there are numerous problems with your assertion.

One: You have not dealt with the issue in 9:25, in which I asked the question, until Messiah the Prince what?? In your view verses 25-27 deal only with the events of the 70th week beginning with the crucifixion. But do you realize that you have just made Christ’s earthly ministry textually invisible here for you must allege that nothing is mentioned of the Prince until He is crucified?? What about His “Kingdom proclamation” for three and one half years prior?? The text makes much more sense (especially within your own view ironically enough) for placing the “until” Messiah the Prince to the time of the beginning of His public ministry where He was presented to Israel as their Messiah (see John 1:31).

Two – Despite your claim that there is no reason to interject three and one-half years in between the presenting of Messiah to Israel and His being cut off, I did in fact demonstrate that the text is explicit by referring you to verse 27 which spoke of a “he” who confirms a covenant for one week (which you believe is the 70th week – as do I), and in the midst of the week “he” brings an end to sacrifice and offering. I demonstrated that the “he” can only refer back to Messiah the Prince, and speaks of His bringing a judicial end to the sacrificial
system.

In then examining your contention, I notice something very interesting here. The “he” who confirms the covenant for one week does so at the beginning of the 70th week, which in your view is the crucifixion (yet in my view is Christ’s baptism). Who is this “he”? It cannot be some future figure (in your view) for “he” existed at the time of the crucifixion and began the “confirming” of the covenant at that time. I can anticipate your answer, but since I do not want to falsely assume, I will cease, but unless you have moves worthy of Astaire, this is a tremendous problem for you.

Three – The Hebraic parallelism of the verses completely supports my contention. Observe:

Verse 9:26And after the sixty-two weeks Messiah shall be cut off, but not for Himself;

And the people of the prince who is to come shall destroy the city and the sanctuary. The end of it shall be with a flood, and till the end of the war desolations are determined.

Verse 9:27Then he shall confirm a covenant with many for one week; but in the middle of the week He shall bring an end to sacrifice and offering.

And on the wing of abominations shall be one who makes desolate, even until the consummation, which is determined, is poured out on the desolate.

The red colored text is parallel as is the blue. This places the timing of the cutting off in the midst of the 70th week. Also notice in the concluding words of verse 26 and 27 in parallel, that it is only the determination of the desolations that is said to be determined in the 70th week itself. The effecting of those desolations could take place any time thereafter.

Four – The text tells us exactly what was to take place during the 70th week, and once again, the destruction of the Temple is noticeable only by its absence. During the 70th “he” (who can only be Christ) makes firm the covenant with the Jews during the entire seven years. In the midst of these seven years the sacrifices and oblations cease. Where again is that destruction?? What do I hear?? Crickets?? LOL. This is where I found a remarkable juxtaposition of our two views, but again, in sheer irony, only my position on this passage exploits this idea to the fullest. You see, I also affirm that there was a special and specific focus on the Jews during Christ’s earthly ministry and for the period of time thereafter leading up the conversion of Paul, which was three and one-half years later. Christ made firm the covenant with them first before opening the floodgates to the Gentiles. He then gave them a probationary generation to repent, after which the judgment came.

This fits in so perfectly with the Exodus imagery of the NT with Christ as the eschatological Passover lamb and the first Christians being the wilderness wanderers waiting until the wicked generation was killed off before entering the “promised land” of the New Covenant. I will have much more to say on this as we progress.

Next, you object to my equation of the anointing of the Most Holy to Christ’s baptism by stating, “I see no place in scripture that places anointing and baptism as one and the same.” I must apologize for being unclear. My bad. The anointing that I was referring to was the anointing of Christ by the Spirit at His baptism.., I conflated the two events causing the confusion. Christ explicitly claimed to have already been anointed by the Spirit by the time He read from Isaiah 61:1-2 as previously mentioned is a direct allusion to the Jubilee (which is the pattern in Daniel 9) thus making my position a compelling referent. Peter also speaks of this anointing of Christ (Acts 10:38) and looks back to the baptism by John as the significant founding of the salvation/redemptive message (Acts 1:21-22). John also declared that his ministry was to reveal the Christ (John 1:31). Throughout His ministry, Christ was referred to as the Anointed One (i.e. Christ) meaning that this very significant anointing had already taken place. Additionally, Scripture gives us explicit precedent for referring to the gift of the Spirit as an anointing (1 Corinthians 1:21-22; I John 1:20,27).All of this dovetails perfectly.

You bring forth Mark 14:3-9 as a possible candidate for the anointing, and I will concede it is possible. However, considering the significance of the descent of the Spirit upon Christ concurrently with the beginning of ministry, His claim to be the ultimate Jubilee in Luke 4:18 (with the Jubilee pattern in Daniel 9), I find my interpretation much truer to the typological and redemptive context.

However, your own interpretation causes you some timeline problems (and tsk, tsk, tsk, here is where those pesky details come buzzing around again) because you do not even have Messiah the Prince being a significant figure in the Daniel 9 passage until His crucifixion! This anointing took place before that event… Not good. :nono:

I have one other issue to bring in, that I brought in my prior post which has remained unacknowledged thus far. Specifically, you agree with the preterist contention that there are unambiguous time references in the Gospels teaching that the Great Tribulation and a “coming” of Christ was expected in the first century. You differ with the preterists in that you believe that although this was expected and actually begun, it was interrupted about one year after the resurrection. This puts you in a tremendous bind for you have sold the farm with the concessions to the preterist position made thus far. Why? Because the “near” time references do not end in the Gospels, they continue throughout the entire New Testament even in NT books written after this plan was allegedly interrupted. Did God not tell anyone about this?? :doh: This is a major problem for you.

I acknowledge that I did not go over the Jeremiah 18 issues for which I have MUCH to say.

Statistics (to save Knight the trouble)

Characters (including formatting codes) - 10,320

Words - 1723

efta777

BANNED
Banned
Dee Dee,
Great post, but I think you forgot one VERY important verse that really helped tie some things together for me:

Daniel 9:26 "He will confirm a covenant with many for one week. But in the middle of that week he will bring an end to sacrifice and offering to a halt..."

Compared to the very words of Jesus:

Matt. 26:28 "For this is my blood, the blood of the covenant that is poured out for many for the forgiveness of sins."

Am I wrong in seeing a fairly obvious connection here?

Lion

King of the jungle
Super Moderator
DD
First point; You said:
Is the destruction of the Temple an event to fall within the seventy weeks?
Of course I said no and proved that point by demonstrating that Daniel 9:24, which is Gabriel’s declaration of the goals for the seventy weeks, does not mention the destruction of the Temple even once.
Really? In the first place, as I have so painstakingly demonstrated in earlier posts, the entire segment of Dan 9:24-27, is exclusively about the 70 week timeframe. I also showed you how verse 24 is like Gen 1 where God gives an overview of the creation, and in chapter two goes into detail about the creation, which is exactly what God does with the Daniel passage in question. In verse 24, the overview of the entire 490 year prophesy is given and in verses 25-27 God goes into detail about those same events, (IE-destruction of the city and temple, crucifixion, Israel’s rejection ended, atonement made, etc.) God even alludes to the destruction of the temple and city in verse 24 when he says;
Dan 9:24 Seventy weeks are determined For your people and for your holy city
What city? Jerusalem. And what happens to Jerusalem in this prophesy? It is destroyed. And when is the temple destroyed? Oh yeah, when the city is destroyed.

And I have to remark on another little inconsistency that I see with the Preterists theology, it’s this; One of the main tenants of the Preterists theology is that the destruction of the Temple could only have happened at a certain time in history, in order to be in line with the Daniel prophesy, proving that the end times had already taken place. But you go out of your way to show that the destruction of the temple is not even part of the 70 week prophesy. Thereby destroying your main tenant! The only argument left then, rests entirely on the idea that in Matthew, Christ was stating prophesy that would take place in the first century, which the Acts-9 view also adheres to and with much better supporting arguments.

Okay onto your next point. You said;
I have provided evidence that the entire prophecy of the 70 weeks is redemptive in context based upon the obvious Jubilee pattern. The judgment falls as a result of rejecting the completed redemption, it is not part of the completed redemption. Jesus gives us a major clue to this when He cited Isaiah 61:1-2 in Luke 4:18, claiming to be the fulfillment of the Jubilee, and omitted the last sentence speaking of the “day of vengeance of our God.”
I want to thank you so much for pointing this out to me. It is AWESOME! You are exactly right about this!
Jesus is totally acknowledging the Isaiah 61 passage and He does completely leave out the last line; the ”day of vengeance of our God.” But you miss the whole point as to why He does this. It is because He, (Jesus) is still in the 69th week of the prophesy, and the day of the vengeance of God (the beginning of the 70th week) is not yet at hand. Which completely destroys your argument of the 70th week starting at the baptism of Christ. If it was the 70th week, Jesus would have finished the last line. But He did not because that day was still in the future, awaiting His crucifixion.

Next, you said;
Now onto to the cutting off of the Messiah … the only thing that we agree upon thus far is that the text says that this cutting off will occur after the 69th week, which only leaves during the 70th week. So far so good… However, we quibble on what part of the 70th week. You seem to be claiming it would be the very first moments of the 70th week (thus conceding I am right that the crucifixion is in the 70th week…
No, that wasn’t what I said. I said that it implies that it was either at the end of the 69th week , or immediately following the end of the 69th week. And here are a few examples to prove my point;
Ezek. 46:12 “Now when the prince makes a voluntary burnt offering… Then he shall go out, and after he goes out the gate shall be shut. (Now let’s see…would that be 3 1/2 years after he leaves, that the gate should be shut? or just as he is leaving?)
Mark 8:31 And He began to teach them that the Son of Man must suffer many things, and be rejected by the elders and chief priests and scribes, and be killed, and after three days rise again. (Oh look, when God wants to let us know there is going to be some type of time interval, He tells us just what it is. He sure is a good communicator.)
Jer. 31:19 Surely, after my turning, I repented; And after I was instructed, I struck myself on the thigh; (Of course he means after three and a half years after he was instructed, he struck himself on the thigh) I was ashamed, yes, even humiliated, Because I bore the reproach of my youth.’
John 20:26 And after eight days His disciples were again inside, and Thomas with them. Jesus came, the doors being shut, and stood in the midst, and said, “Peace to you!” (here again God lets us know just how long an interval there was, in this case 8 days)
And as I stated before the normal flow of speech, (as well as the above verses I have cited), places the cutting off of Christ at the end of the 69th week, or possiblyat the very beginning of the 70th week. But in no way allows for a three and a half year interruption, (perhaps a little gap theory of your own?).

And if I have to get really nasty I’m going to bring up the fact that we know for certain that the 70th week started at Christ’s crucifixion because we know when the commandment went out for the rebuilding of the city and it is not only exactly 483 years to the crucifixion of Christ, but His crucifixion was even in the same month as foretold, (more on that later, if need be).

Next: You said;
You have not dealt with the issue in 9:25, in which I asked the question, until Messiah the Prince what?? In your view verses 25-27 deal only with the events of the 70th week beginning with the crucifixion. But do you realize that you have just made Christ’s earthly ministry textually invisible here…
No, although His main purpose is to die. Notice that in verse 25, where you allege I claim it is only about the 70th week, (which I don’t), it clearly states that within the 490 years the city and the wall will be restored--- OH MY GOODNESS! STOP THE PRESSES! THERE IS NO MENTION OF THE TEMPLE BEING REBUILT IN THIS VERSE! IT MUST NOT HAVE EVER HAPPENED!!! THEREFORE THE PRESTERISTS THEORY IS COMPLETELY VANQUISHED! (sorry, couldn’t resist) and that the Messiah will come on the scene during the 69th week. And why does He come on the scene? So that He can be cut off.

Next, you asked me who the “he” is in the 26 and 27th verses. And I will have to say that I don’t know. I will study it this week and see what I can find out. (Just a side note though; If it is Jesus, it works better for my argument, in that after the crucifixion He made a covenant with “The Little Flock”, His disciples, for one week, and in the middle of the week, three and one half years into the tribulation, things get really bad, the temple is destroyed and the believers have to flee to the mountains. With no temple there can be no sacrifices, thus He puts an end to the sacrifices.)

Next, I have disproved both points 3 & 4 above, so no need to commit on them.

Next, your point on the baptism of Christ in relationship to the anointing of the Most Holy: I agree that neither point seems clearly provable at this time, but does not seem crucial in either case.

Next, and this is a big one against you. You said;
I have one other issue to bring in, that I brought in my prior post which has remained unacknowledged thus far. Specifically, you agree that there are unambiguous time references in the Gospels teaching that the Great Tribulation and a “coming” of Christ was expected in the first century. You differ with the preterists in that you believe that although this was expected and actually begun, it was interrupted about one year after the resurrection. This puts you in a tremendous bind for you have sold the farm with the concessions to the preterist position made thus far. Why? Because the “near” time references do not end in the Gospels, they continue throughout the entire New Testament even in NT books written after this plan was allegedly interrupted.
You need to go back and read my last post again. I not only completely answered this question, but also showed how it fits perfectly with an Acts-9 theology but flies in the face of your theology. I’m going to paste my previous answer for you here, but it will make my post longer, so don’t blame me for being wordy. In the last post I said;
Not true at all. Since the plan has been put on hold. And since there are no prophesies to indicate when God will resume working with Israel, (except for the passage concerning the fullness of the gentiles), no one knows when it will happen. None of the apostles knew, including Paul or John, and neither do we. So they adopted the attitude that it would be soon, just as we should adopt the same attitude, acting as if it will come tomorrow so that we will be ever watchful.

But this does bring up another sticking point for you. I realize that you believe that the book of Revelation was completed prior to 90 AD, even prior to 70AD. I think I read something you wrote that stated it might have been written as early as 40 AD, but I could be wrong about that. In any case, how could the Book of Revelation be written for future events when according to your belief, these events had already occurred, or at best were occurring at the same time?

After all, if the 70th week, (the week of tribulation), ended at the conversion of Paul, as you state, then when did John have the time to pen his last book? And wouldn’t it be out of date as soon as it hit the shelves, since everything had already happened?
If you need further clarification on this please ask.

And you are right, you did not even get to the Jeremiah 18 passage where I showed you clear proof that the stopping of the tribulation, hence taking away the promised Kingdom to that generation, was in no way violating the Jeremiah 18 tenant, but instead fits it perfectly. This does not hold true for the preterist position where God goes ahead and awards bad behavior with a blessing.

Summation: I have shown that the end of the 69th week of Daniel’s 70 week prophesy happened at the crucifixion of Christ, not at His baptism.

I have shown that the destruction of the temple was supposed to have happened within one year of the crucifixion of Christ but did not.

Questions for DD in order of importance: When was the book of Revelation written?

If the destruction of the temple is vital in proving the Preterists theology in connection to Daniel’s 70 week prophesy, how is it that it happened decades after said prophesy?

(Wow! Still under 10,000 characters.)

D

Dee Dee Warren

Dear Efta:

You are correct in that point... that is a verse that I usually do bring into the argument. Thank you for pointing that out.

D

Dee Dee Warren

Dear Lion:

I am going to take one of your questions out of turn since it is short and I do not want it to get lost in the larger answer...

Revelation written sometime during the reign of Nero, probably in 65 or 66 AD. You had commented that I had said at one point that it could have been written as early as 40AD. I don't recall ever saying that but it is possible that I had quoted a scholar who said that. I personally don't believe that, but am firm that it was written during the reing of Nero.

Lion

King of the jungle
Super Moderator
When is a tribulation not a tribulation? When its preterist theology

When is a tribulation not a tribulation? When its preterist theology

DD-Hmmmmm… very interesting. So then the Book of Revelation has absolutely nothing to do with the Tribulation?

Status
Not open for further replies.