The Easter Debate ~ Lion and DDW on Eschatology (HOF thread)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lion

King of the jungle
Super Moderator
A horse's what?

A horse's what?

Hey DD, no need to get nasty and call me a horse! (I guess I should be thankful that you left it there and didn’t get down to specifics, such as just what part of a horse I am).

And as for pointing out the major mistakes in my last post, just remember that anything I said that was wrong, isn’t my fault, since I was predestined to do it before I was even born.

Gee… you wouldn’t blame a baby, would you?

D

Dee Dee Warren

Dear Lion:

LOLOLOLOL.... but notice I called myself a horse as well, and I know exactly what part of the beast that I can be at times!!!

Well my view of predestination would still make your major mistakes entirely your fault.. you can't pawn that off on God, though He certainly knew you were going to do it :D

Lion

King of the jungle
Super Moderator
Gallop poll

Gallop poll

Oh, I know that brand of Calvinism….It’s called Arminianism. I would go for that view myself, except it’s too Calvinistic for me

You said
“... but notice I called myself a horse as well, and I know exactly what part of the beast that I can be at times!!!”
Now that’s a horse of a different color. And at the mere thought of someone calling you that, I say Neigh!

Still, our debate goes on and it’s your turn to pony up. So hoof it on over and see if you are up to corralling me.

I will stay glued to the screen until your next post, so quit grazing and trot on out the starting gate. Because I’m through horsing around, and I’m chomping at the bit. Not that I’m trying to nag you, or anything.

Poly

Blessed beyond measure
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Re: Gallop poll

Re: Gallop poll

Originally posted by Lion
Oh, I know that brand of Calvinism….It’s called Arminianism. I would go for that view myself, except it’s too Calvinistic for me

Funny how when I was a Calvinist I looked down terribly upon Free Will Baptists because well, for one that's just what we were supposed to do. I thought of them as totally opposite as far as our doctrines were concerned. But now I find them too Calvinistic as well.

1Way

+OL remote satellite affiliate
Polycarpadvo – Wow, bravo! May the crux of the matter become ever more clear, “immutability” is not just some abstract theological term, it is at the heart of the issue of closed theism, the point I believe, as does John Sanders and many of my friends here at TOL, that once that issue is dismissed for the false teaching that it is, then TULIP and all it’s associated and “uniquely” Calvinistic teachings become unsupported and contrary to scripture. Foundational issues matter. :)

Knight – Thanks sir knight. Sometimes a closed mind understands truth and knows what to reject, yet it still carefully opens when necessary. Your forum has greatly helped me to appreciate the “opportunity” of learning that I may be wrong. Still learning that lesson from time to time, but the lesson has paid wonderful dividends already. Thanks exceedingly for giving others a place to be wrong! (Pro 12.1)

1Way

Prisca

Pain Killer
Super Moderator
Hi Lion,

Hi Lion,

A couple of posts ago, you said:
God did not repent of the harm He planned to do to Israel because of their rejection, but rather He repented of the good He said He would do.
How sad and how true! It seems that this was the pattern with Israel. God would promise them great things if they obeyed Him, but time after time they disobeyed and missed out on the blessings He hoped to shower on them. I was specifically thinking of passages in Exodus and Joshua where God tells Israel that He will drive the Amorites, the Hittites, the Perizzites, the Canaanites, the Hivites, and the Jebusites out of the land. He promises to bless their bread and water, take away sickness, and give them the land. Later, we read in Judges:
Then the anger of the LORD was hot against Israel; and He said, “Because this nation has transgressed My covenant which I commanded their fathers, and has not heeded My voice, I also will no longer drive out before them any of the nations which Joshua left when he died, so that through them I may test Israel, whether they will keep the ways of the LORD, to walk in them as their fathers kept them, or not.” Therefore the LORD left those nations, without driving them out immediately; nor did He deliver them into the hand of Joshua.
Israel, in her rejection of God and her disobedience to the law, suffered curses rather than blessings. But God seems always hopeful that they will return to Him. The same is as true today. As Paul explains in Romans 11:
“I say then, have they stumbled that they should fall? Certainly not! But through their fall, to provoke them to jealousy, salvation has come to the Gentiles. Now if their fall is riches for the world, and their failure riches for the Gentiles, how much more their fullness! For I speak to you Gentiles; inasmuch as I am an apostle to the Gentiles, I magnify my ministry, if by any means I may provoke to jealousy those who are my flesh and save some of them. For if their being cast away is the reconciling of the world, what will their acceptance be but life from the dead?

Lion

King of the jungle
Super Moderator
Undivided attention not needed

Undivided attention not needed

DD-You said;
I am almost done with him, and then you once again have my undivided attention my fine feline friend.
Don’t you threaten me like that! You said that you could beat me with half your brain behind your back and I’m holding you to it!

Lion

King of the jungle
Super Moderator
Becky, great post!

It’s like a parent promising a child that he will take him to (yuck!) Disney Land (not on red-shirt-day of course). But before the day of the trip the child completely disobeys his father. The wise father realizes that it would be harmful to neglect the wrongdoing and still let the child go as planned. Instead, the wise father would not allow the child to go (besides he couldn’t sit on the rides with his red bottom anyway), until his behavior warranted it.

D

Dee Dee Warren

Dear Lion:

Don’t you threaten me like that! You said that you could beat me with half your brain behind your back and I’m holding you to it!

I could and I will... don't worry. I am planning a very special one just for you. :) But see, the distraction move on that other thread over to soteriology is working, and now I am only operating on 1/4 of brain, but that may be enough. But maybe if you tell Boom to stop stalking in me in chat I would have more time ;)

Poor Gavin.. when he gets back he will see his thread took on a whole new life of its own.

Y

Yxboom

I must say this is the most participation I have ever seen in the Eschatology section and beyond that, a preterist discussion. :shocked:

Poly

Blessed beyond measure
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Yxboom
I must say this is the most participation I have ever seen in the Eschatology section and beyond that, a preterist discussion. :shocked:

I'm finding this thread one of the most interesting on TOL.

Poly

Blessed beyond measure
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Becky, great post!

It’s like a parent promising a child that he will take him to (yuck!) Disney Land (not on red-shirt-day of course). But before the day of the trip the child completely disobeys his father. The wise father realizes that it would be harmful to neglect the wrongdoing and still let the child go as planned. Instead, the wise father would not allow the child to go (besides he couldn’t sit on the rides with his red bottom anyway), until his behavior warranted it.

I remember a similar situation on a personal level. When my oldest son was 3 (He's now 15) I told him I would get him a treat when we went to the store. He acted up terribly therefore receiving no treat. My mother-in-law was with me at the time and thought I had done the ultimate sin in not buying him something. She insisted on buying him something since I wouldn't. I told her if she did I wouldn't allow him to have it. She was seeing red all the way home. Sad that she didn't realize that it would have been wrong to go ahead and buy it for him. It's neat how we can relate to our LIVING God by some of the things that are every day occurances for us.

D

Dee Dee Warren

These illustrations are interesting in that they prove my point when applied to the facts of the discussion at hand. I look forward to proving that.

Lion

King of the jungle
Super Moderator
Mindstein?

Mindstein?

HA! You only think that because you are diminished to a quarter of your brain power. The rest of us are able to think clearly and see that it really proves our point!

Y

Yxboom

Re: Mindstein?

Re: Mindstein?

HA! You only think that because you are diminished to a quarter of your brain power. The rest of us are able to think clearly and see that it really proves our point!
:noid: Didn't Becky post that??? :noid:

D

Dee Dee Warren

Actually, my fine furry feline friend, I am think that because I am Bea Arthur. Bow to the power of Bea!!! I feel my preterist power returning....

Lion

King of the jungle
Super Moderator
Wisdom in your words

Wisdom in your words

Polycarpadvo-Great post and awesome point. Too bad your mother in law couldn’t see the writing on the wall. But God’s attributes are clearly seen through out creation, just as you have shown.
Rom. 1:20 For since the creation of the world His invisible attributes are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even His eternal power and Godhead, so that they are without excuse,

Lion

King of the jungle
Super Moderator
Super heroes are cool!

Super heroes are cool!

Yxboom-You have some of the best posts and the best avatars on TOL!

Lion

King of the jungle
Super Moderator
Duuuuuuuh

Duuuuuuuh

Actually, my fine furry feline friend, I am think that because I am Bea Arthur. Bow to the power of Bea!!! I feel my preterist power returning....
I am think that you are still using not enough brain power.

D

Dee Dee Warren

Blame it all on Boom. He is in on your dastardly plans.

Status
Not open for further replies.