ECT The commandments of Jesus

john w

Hall of Fame
Even Paul's command to not allow a woman to teach or exercise authority over a man is for today.

Irrelevant. You "argue:"

"There is no reason to say that if Jesus commanded it 2000 years ago it doesn't apply to us now.Obviously when Jesus speaks and relates commandments to us He is not speaking contrary to the gospel. God's commands are indeed for us to observe.

"What are these commands? "-TL

"Thank you. Yes, anything Jesus commands."-you

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
Vs.

"There is no reason to say that if Jesus commanded it 2000 years ago it doesn't apply to us now"-you

Drunk, or lying?
2 Timothy 3:16-17. All scripture. If we speak of commands, would you say any of God's commands are no longer His commands?

john w

Hall of Fame
john w,

Common sense would tell you that commands that are for priests are not for those who are not priests.

But that predates Jesus and the commands he gave.

Vs.

"There is no reason to say that if Jesus commanded it 2000 years ago it doesn't apply to us now.....God's commands are indeed for us to observe."-you

Do it.

You lied, or are smashed.

john w

Hall of Fame
2 Timothy 3:16-17. All scripture. If we speak of commands, would you say any of God's commands are no longer His commands?

"God's commands are indeed for us to observe...There is no reason to say that if Jesus commanded it 2000 years ago it doesn't apply to us now."-you

Sell all you have.

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
john w,

Common sense would tell you that commands that are for priests are not for those who are not priests.

But that predates Jesus and the commands he gave.

Vs.

"There is no reason to say that if Jesus commanded it 2000 years ago it doesn't apply to us now.....God's commands are indeed for us to observe."-you

Do it.

You lied, or are smashed.
Well, that kinda put a stick between the spokes on his wheels!

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
Acts 9, 22 & 26 are also excellent references.
Thank you for the references here.

What is Paul talking about here (the dispensation verse)? Are you saying something was against his will? He probably has done things (sharing the gospel as a for instance) both willingly and against his will. Unless the gospel is the first example in his life of this.

1 Corinthians 9:17 NASB - For if I do this voluntarily, I have a reward; but if against my will, I have a stewardship entrusted to me.

1 Corinthians 9:16 NASB - For if I preach the gospel, I have nothing to boast of, for I am under compulsion; for woe is me if I do not preach the gospel.

Right Divider

Body part
Thank you for the references here.

What is Paul talking about here (the dispensation verse)? Are you saying something was against his will? He probably has done things (sharing the gospel as a for instance) both willingly and against his will. Unless the gospel is the first example in his life of this.

1 Corinthians 9:17 NASB - For if I do this voluntarily, I have a reward; but if against my will, I have a stewardship entrusted to me.

1 Corinthians 9:16 NASB - For if I preach the gospel, I have nothing to boast of, for I am under compulsion; for woe is me if I do not preach the gospel.
I have no idea what you are asking here or why you would quote those verses out of order.

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
Vs.

"God's commands are indeed for us to observe."-you
Yes, but there is a teaching that the beatitudes are the only thing from Jesus that Gentiles are to observe. Others say not even these.

If God's commands are for our obedience, is that only commands given by Jesus Christ... or all of God's commands?

If you began with the Law of Moses or the Ten Commandments and then heard of Christ you would hear His words in the context of the Law. I believe it is impossible to divorce His words from the context of the Law. We must recognize what are the weightier matters of the Law and not neglect them.

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
I have no idea what you are asking here or why you would quote those verses out of order.
Here is your verse:

1 Corinthians 9:17 KJV - For if I do this thing willingly, I have a reward: but if against my will, a dispensation of the gospel is committed unto me.

Now in my translation:

So why would the discussion of a dispensation (of the gospel) be related to something that would be seen (at minimum) as against his will?

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
"God's commands are indeed for us to observe...There is no reason to say that if Jesus commanded it 2000 years ago it doesn't apply to us now."-you

Sell all you have.
Remember it was to give to the poor or that is what they did.

I have very little in material possession john w.

Right Divider

Body part
Here is your verse:

1 Corinthians 9:17 KJV - For if I do this thing willingly, I have a reward: but if against my will, a dispensation of the gospel is committed unto me.

Now in my translation:

So why would the discussion of a dispensation (of the gospel) be related to something that would be seen (at minimum) as against his will?
Actually, I did not give you that verse. But it does show that Paul was given a stewardship/dispensation of the gospel. Have you actually read 1 Corinthians? Paul was addressing complaints in that passage and correcting their understanding of his apostleship.

I was actually referring to:
Eph 3:1-7 For this cause I Paul, the prisoner of Jesus Christ for you Gentiles, (2) If ye have heard of the dispensation of the grace of God which is given me to you-ward: (3) How that by revelation he made known unto me the mystery; (as I wrote afore in few words, (4) Whereby, when ye read, ye may understand my knowledge in the mystery of Christ) (5) Which in other ages was not made known unto the sons of men, as it is now revealed unto his holy apostles and prophets by the Spirit; (6) That the Gentiles should be fellowheirs, and of the same body, and partakers of his promise in Christ by the gospel: (7) Whereof I was made a minister, according to the gift of the grace of God given unto me by the effectual working of his power.

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
Actually, I did not give you that verse. But it does show that Paul was given a stewardship/dispensation of the gospel. Have you actually read 1 Corinthians? Paul was addressing complaints in that passage and correcting their understanding of his apostleship.

I was actually referring to:
Eph 3:1-7 For this cause I Paul, the prisoner of Jesus Christ for you Gentiles, (2) If ye have heard of the dispensation of the grace of God which is given me to you-ward: (3) How that by revelation he made known unto me the mystery; (as I wrote afore in few words, (4) Whereby, when ye read, ye may understand my knowledge in the mystery of Christ) (5) Which in other ages was not made known unto the sons of men, as it is now revealed unto his holy apostles and prophets by the Spirit; (6) That the Gentiles should be fellowheirs, and of the same body, and partakers of his promise in Christ by the gospel: (7) Whereof I was made a minister, according to the gift of the grace of God given unto me by the effectual working of his power.
For some reason I thought we were talking about a dispensation of the gospel committed unto him. Here are four verses with the word dispensation.

Ephesians 1:10 KJV - That in the dispensation of the fulness of times he might gather together in one all things in Christ, both which are in heaven, and which are on earth; even in him:

Ephesians 3:2 KJV - If ye have heard of the dispensation of the grace of God which is given me to you-ward:

Colossians 1:25 KJV - Whereof I am made a minister, according to the dispensation of God which is given to me for you, to fulfil the word of God;

Right Divider

Body part
For some reason I thought we were talking about a dispensation of the gospel committed unto him. Here are four verses with the word dispensation.

Ephesians 1:10 KJV - That in the dispensation of the fulness of times he might gather together in one all things in Christ, both which are in heaven, and which are on earth; even in him:

Ephesians 3:2 KJV - If ye have heard of the dispensation of the grace of God which is given me to you-ward:

Colossians 1:25 KJV - Whereof I am made a minister, according to the dispensation of God which is given to me for you, to fulfil the word of God;
You're not another of the "dictionary theologians" here on TOL, are you?

The dispensation of the gospel that Paul was given is the gospel of the grace of God.
Act 20:24 But none of these things move me, neither count I my life dear unto myself, so that I might finish my course with joy, and the ministry, which I have received of the Lord Jesus, to testify the gospel of the grace of God.
Nobody but Paul ever claims such a ministry.

john w

Hall of Fame
Yes, but there is a teaching that the beatitudes are the only thing from Jesus that Gentiles are to observe. Others say not even these.

If God's commands are for our obedience, is that only commands given by Jesus Christ... or all of God's commands?

If you began with the Law of Moses or the Ten Commandments and then heard of Christ you would hear His words in the context of the Law. I believe it is impossible to divorce His words from the context of the Law. We must recognize what are the weightier matters of the Law and not neglect them.

Sell all you have.