The Clock Ticks (Ahmed Mohamed's clock bomb)

Desert Reign

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Him getting a scholarship or a visit with the President does nothing to prevent the school district from having other students arrested for no good reason. It hurts everyone if official stereotyping goes unpunished.

You don't seem to understand... Perhaps you are wrapped up in the same mentality and can't see the wood for the trees.

$15m. is not a punishment. It is money grabbing by lawyers. It is people wanting to make a fast buck from someone else's mistake. Now, if I were the school, I would threaten that if the suit succeeds they would automatically close down. Because no one can be punished to that extent for such an offense. Now then, if it can be shown that the school had a policy of racial and religious prejudice or intolerance, then yes the school should close. That would be a due punishment. But in this case there has been no evidence of this. It is a one off mistake. And a debatable one at that. The amount claimed is sheer vindictiveness.

rexlunae

You don't seem to understand... Perhaps you are wrapped up in the same mentality and can't see the wood for the trees.

Whereas I would say that you are missing the seriousness of what the school did.

$15m. is not a punishment. It is money grabbing by lawyers. It is people wanting to make a fast buck from someone else's mistake.

Sure is too bad the school didn't think of that earlier.

Now, if I were the school, I would threaten that if the suit succeeds they would automatically close down.

This is a public school (government owned and run). They can't do that. It would literally take an act of legislation, and doing so would probably be illegal.

Because no one can be punished to that extent for such an offense.

Why not? What are your rights worth, and for how much would you sell them?

Now then, if it can be shown that the school had a policy of racial and religious prejudice or intolerance, then yes the school should close. That would be a due punishment.

The school isn't going to close, that's just a non-starter. But clearly there isn't enough incentive for the schools in Texas to treat their Muslim students with fairness and humanity, which seems to be a problem that can only be corrected by an effective penalty.

But in this case there has been no evidence of this. It is a one off mistake. And a debatable one at that. The amount claimed is sheer vindictiveness.

What makes you think it's a one-off?

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
Because authority figures in a public institution profiled and punished a child, likely because of how he looks or distrust of his religious beliefs.

were other kids, who didn't fit whatever profile you have in mind, ignored when they brought in the guts of a clock in a box in such a manner as to suggest a bomb?

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
At least now there's a chance of discovering some stuff...if the family don't drop the demand first. Which i bet they will.

:thumb: that, i cant wait to see all the facts, that the parents havent let the school disclose, they will have no choice if it goes to court!

Quetzal

How much money do you make as a mind reader?
And that is the problem, right? I am suspicious myself but I don't have any evidence to back myself up, just a hunch and that isn't quite good enough. This whole situation stinks, from the start until now.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Because authority figures in a public institution profiled and punished a child, likely because of how he looks or distrust of his religious beliefs.

But not because he brought the timer for his IED to school on a dry run. When will you idiot liberals ever learn the muslims hate you too? I am guessing never.

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
If they'd thought it were a bomb, they would have reacted differently. Unless they were idiots.

And you know all the details of that how, the family would not allow the school and police to say because of the minor status of the child.

I cant wait to see all details.

musterion

In a couple years, if this kid is discovered to be building bombs or whatever, Rex will ignore any thread that draws attention to it and pretend such kid he never heard of.

Desert Reign

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
DR: Perhaps you are wrapped up in the same mentality and can't see the wood for the trees.
Whereas I would say that you are missing the seriousness of what the school did.

I don't think so. I would think protecting your school against terrorist acts is a serious responsibility.

DR: $15m. is not a punishment. It is money grabbing by lawyers. It is people wanting to make a fast buck from someone else's mistake.
Sure is too bad the school didn't think of that earlier.
This proves that you agree it is vindictive and money grabbing and that you support that.

DR: Now, if I were the school, I would threaten that if the suit succeeds they would automatically close down.
This is a public school (government owned and run). They can't do that. It would literally take an act of legislation, and doing so would probably be illegal.
Don't be ridiculous. The school is not run by the government. It is run by the school managers and teachers. You are so ready to invoke the law when something doesn't suit you as if this justifies everything. You are the reason why lawyers make so much money.

DR: Because no one can be punished to that extent for such an offense.
Why not? What are your rights worth, and for how much would you sell them?
You demean the rights ordinary people have by your vindictiveness. Rights are not about how much you can get when someone makes a mistake.

The school isn't going to close, that's just a non-starter. But clearly there isn't enough incentive for the schools in Texas to treat their Muslim students with fairness and humanity, which seems to be a problem that can only be corrected by an effective penalty.
This statement is very telling. What you are really doing is seeking to punish one school for the crimes that other schools only might have committed or might commit in the future. You just love it when people are punished for things you dislike, don't you? And you think that $15m is going to cause people to change. You think it is about money. I can assure you, it is not. When your life is at risk, you are not going to be all that bothered by the money. Things will change not when a lawsuit is filed but when Muslims prove they are peace-loving. And that ain't gonna happen any time soon. And you can say all you like that you can't tar all Muslims with the same brush because that doesn't cut it when your life and your society are under threat. It is no argument post hoc, that the boy didn't have a bomb. I agree with A4T, I bet there will be some interesting facts revealed about the family if it goes to court. They have now moved to Qatar, one of the world's most terrorism financing countries in the world. Perhaps that's where they feel most at home?

Last edited:

bybee

Somehow, vindictiveness by minorities is acceptable? The harm that such a lawsuit might cause is worth such an action?
The school was, by it's action, seeking to be overly cautious to protect all of the students. I cannot find fault with that.
This money grubbing Muslim wasn't harmed. But he intends to cause great harm to the people of Tyler, Texas! What does that say about him?
And they want to come back? So they can set up another lawsuit event?