The Clock Ticks (Ahmed Mohamed's clock bomb)

bybee

Seems reasonable to me. I hope he gets it. I guess maybe the school district will learn not to deliberately violate the rights of their students.

And the school district goes bankrupt!
$11,000,000 really. His little Muslim feelings were hurt and it is worth $11,000,000 dollars?
Excuse me if I consider this outrageously excessive and uncalled for.

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
so his right to avoid having his feelings hurt is the right that was violated?

i don't remember seeing that one in the constitution :idunno:

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
The letter demanding money from the city and district says that the family insists it wants “more than anything to come home” to Irving, according to the local FOX affiliate. The letter gives both the city and the district 60 days to pay up or else face a lawsuit. City and district officials did not have any immediate comment on the letter.

Mohamed and his immediately family are now overseas in Qatar

What? You mean they like it better in Irving Texas (ie america) than they do in Qatar? Say it isnt so!

rexlunae

And the school district goes bankrupt!
$11,000,000 really. His little Muslim feelings were hurt and it is worth $11,000,000 dollars?
Excuse me if I consider this outrageously excessive and uncalled for.

He was arrested for no good reason. That's not hurting his feelings, that's the sort of things that would cause some of the sovereign citizens here to go full Cliven Bundy. And it was unwarranted. And the school district should know better. And there needs to be a meaningful deterant.

bybee

He was arrested for no good reason. That's not hurting his feelings, that's the sort of things that would cause some of the sovereign citizens here to go full Cliven Bundy. And it was unwarranted. And the school district should know better. And there needs to be a meaningful deterant.

I don't believe it was unwarranted. Unwise yes. Overly cautious yes. Worth $11,000,000 of the taxpayers money? NO!!!

Desert Reign

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
The lawyers suggested an amount that would encourage the parties to settle on a compromise. They go for 7.5m. and the defendants think it is a good deal. The lawyers get 30% or possibly 50% of that. The money ultimately comes out of the school's and the town's insurance policies. Yep, those nasty insurers - they deserve to pay for everything; they have more money than they know what to do with.
C'mon, the boy got his compensation already: he got to see the President; he got a scholarship. Tell me I am not being cynical! In England he would probably have got an apology, had a laugh with his mates and been back at school the next day. You've got a sick litigative, cry-baby society where everyone has to pay for everything and only lawyers win. The boy and his family need to man up and stop complaining and get on with life. Otherwise he will never grow up - and that is not worth getting $15m for. If they succeed, their lives will end right there.

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
if i had a son, he'd look like a muslim terrorist/extortionist

24obama-span-articleInline.jpg

rexlunae

C'mon, the boy got his compensation already: he got to see the President; he got a scholarship. Tell me I am not being cynical!

Him getting a scholarship or a visit with the President does nothing to prevent the school district from having other students arrested for no good reason. It hurts everyone if official stereotyping goes unpunished.

In England he would probably have got an apology, had a laugh with his mates and been back at school the next day. You've got a sick litigative, cry-baby society where everyone has to pay for everything and only lawyers win.

It's true that the US is more "litigious" than the UK. It's an outgrowth of our Constitutional system of rights. On the other hand, I'm not sure this is as likely to have happened in the UK, at least at present.

The boy and his family need to man up and stop complaining and get on with life. Otherwise he will never grow up - and that is not worth getting $15m for. If they succeed, their lives will end right there.

Whereas I'd say that the school district, which is presumably staffed by grown adults, needs to grow up and learn that the children under their tutelage shouldn't be automatically presumed to be suspicious, even if they are Muslim, and that there are consequences for their actions.