The cigar lounge

Ask Mr. Religion

☞☞☞☞Presbyterian (PCA) &#9
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I have some Drew Estate coffee infused, Perdomo Lot 23, and Rocky Patel 1990 in my humidor now. I don't think it is good to mix the distinct flavors.
Good point. Never store flavor-infused cigars with your regular stock. Other than that, there really is no issue of mixing them unless you plan on not smoking them for, say, ten years or so. ;)

AMR

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
I have some Drew Estate coffee infused, Perdomo Lot 23, and Rocky Patel 1990 in my humidor now. I don't think it is good to mix the distinct flavors.
I have read from the experts that the flavors don't really mix that much, if at all.

Personally, I think a slight bit of mixing of flavors might make for an interesting smoke. That's why I have placed all my best smokes together in the humidor and my cheaper cigars next to one another.

I've had the Drew Estate coffee latte cigar. It was really good until about the halfway mark and then not so good after that.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Have any of you ever tried alternative cigars? These are cigars made by companies such as Famous and JR Cigars that are made to taste like well known brands.

They are extremely cheap so I was considering getting some just to try them and fill up the bottom of my humidor.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Found the ultimate cigar shop today. Edwards Pipe and Tobacco on S Broadway in Denver. The place isn't easy to find, in fact I couldn't see it at all from the Broadway side so I parked in back by the ally and entered that way. The place has a MASSIVE walk-in humidor with a selection like you couldn't believe. The prices were very good, in fact I think they supply many other cigar shops in the region.

The guy working in the humidor was super nice and extremely helpful.

Here's what I bought...

The first cigar I got was a G.A.R. by George A Rico. I bought this on the advice of the guy working the humidor, he said this was a solid cigar for the $7.00 price tag.

43a5ec6c-a4a1-e6e9.jpg

My next selection was a C.A.O. La Traviata. Again, I bought this on the advice of the staff at Edwards. The guy said if I liked Brickhouse cigars I would love this $5.15 beauty!

43a5ec6c-a4b1-c424.jpg

How can you talk about cigars if you've never had an Fuente Fuente Opus X? I mainly bought this for my son but I plan to share it with him. :) The $12.15 price tag is a not bad considering these can be a lot more at most cigar shops.

43a5ec6c-a4c3-f55c.jpg

And finally... my humidor looked naked without a Padron 1926 Anniversario in it. I loved the 1964 so I wanted to try the 1926. And for just $15.50 it was a bargain.

43a5ec6c-a4d8-f5c6.jpg

Last edited:

Vaquero45

Hall of Fame
Found the ultimate cigar shop today. Edwards Pipe and Tobacco on S Broadway in Denver. The place isn't easy to find, in fact I couldn't see it at all from the Broadway side so I parked in back by the ally and entered that way. The place has a MASSIVE walk-in humidor with a selection like you couldn't believe. The prices were very good, in fact I think they supply many other cigar shops in the region.

Here's what I bought...
...........SNIP.........

You're making me want cigars! lol

http://www.edwardsfc.com/

I wonder if these stores are related. This "Edward's" in Ft. Collins is a very nice store too. I bought a briar churchwarden pipe there about a week ago, and some good pipeweed. (I'm a lord of the rings geek lol) Pipes are cheaper to run and I like them a lot, but your cigar talk is pulling at me. :) Anyway, wouldn't surprise me if the stores are related somehow.

Edit: Actually thinking a bit more here, it's hard to imagine they ARENT related. lol Pretty sure that was a dumb question. :)

rocketman

Resident Rocket Surgeon
Hall of Fame

Here's what I bought...

The first cigar I got was a G.A.R. by George A Rico. I bought this on the advice of the guy working the humidor, he said this was a solid cigar for the $7.00 price tag.

43a5ec6c-a4a1-e6e9.jpg

My next selection was a C.A.O. La Traviata. Again, I bought this on the advice of the staff at Edwards. The guy said if I liked Brickhouse cigars I would love this $5.15 beauty!

43a5ec6c-a4b1-c424.jpg

How can you talk about cigars if you've never had an Fuente Fuente Opus X? I mainly bought this for my son but I plan to share it with him. :) The $12.15 price tag is a not bad considering these can be a lot more at most cigar shops.

43a5ec6c-a4c3-f55c.jpg

And finally... my humidor looked naked without a Padron 1926 Anniversario in it. I loved the 1964 so I wanted to try the 1926. And for just $15.50 it was a bargain.

43a5ec6c-a4d8-f5c6.jpg

I have never tried the Rico but, judging just by eye this looks good, nice box press.

I have never had a CAO I didn't like.

The Fuente Opus is a good cigar and one thing Fuente can pride themeselves on is they are almost all (cigar lines) consistantly good. Except for the curly heads, not so good if your interested I'll be happy to elaborate why.

The Padron goes without saying, I love these cigars and they are rare here in CA, I have to buy a box (tidy sum) if I want one. I usually get some in Florida when I'm at the Cape working. I really like the Padron 2000 maduro's good smoke.

Knight, if you see the El Ray Del Mundo Robusto's in maduro get one you will love it. They come tissue wrapped, when you pull off the tissue you will find a maduro that has an oily sheen, very dark almost oscuro. It is not for the faint of heart, rather strong flavors but, a great smoke.

Enjoy those cigars, I am enjoying looking at them...

Ask Mr. Religion

Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Knight,

That was a good buy: Padron 1926 Anniversario

Lucky you!

I buy some alternatives and get them as gifts often. I keep the label bands in my humidor. When I plan a visit to a smoke shop I pull them out and refresh my memory before heading out to the shop.

AMR

Ask Mr. Religion

Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I have read from the experts that the flavors don't really mix that much, if at all.
It is often debated. I don't smoke infused flavor cigars, as it seems, well, a bit like a Starbucks thing to an old-fashioned cigar smoker. Having smelled a few of them I remain convinced that smell would wreak havoc in my humidor. Also, no one disputes that chocolate absorbs odors around it, so if I smoked chocolate flavored cigars, they would absorb the surrounding flavors and ruin the actual item.

Which reminds me: I always remove the cigar band from a cigar before I smoke it. ;)

AMR

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

Flavored and infused aren't quite the same. The infused are often in a glass tube, and not to be pretty.

Personally, I think a slight bit of mixing of flavors might make for an interesting smoke.

It sure does. While I am not real big on his Acid line, they are interesting.

I've had the Drew Estate coffee latte cigar. It was really good until about the halfway mark and then not so good after that.

The square pressed one? I liked it. I don't buy many they are kind of pricey for the volume and quality as you mention.

Last edited:

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I also like the CAO Brazilia maduro. Another one of my favorites is one I mentioned a few posts back. Perdomo Lot 23. Try one. I like it with Crown.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Knight, if you see the El Ray Del Mundo Robusto's in maduro get one you will love it. They come tissue wrapped, when you pull off the tissue you will find a maduro that has an oily sheen, very dark almost oscuro. It is not for the faint of heart, rather strong flavors but, a great smoke.
Thanks for the advice. I will keep my eye out for one. :up:

vegascowboy

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
There is a (somewhat of a) chain of stores here in Las Vegas called Mr. Bill's Pipe & Tobacco Company.

Having said that it's a chain, it really is quite good. The reason that I falied to mention it before is that I thought it was a bigger chain than it is. I am not overly fond of chain stores, and I thought this one existed across the country.

I found out now that it only exists in Vegas. :thumb: (I know, I'm odd about that...I just prefer the pride that independent folks take in their business. Sometimes chain store environments tend to lessen that.)

I am excited now. It's been some years since I went into a Bill's, and now I can't wait to get off work so I can check the one by our house out again!

If my memory serves, they have great (and fairly extensive) humidores.

Here's my question:

This thread has provided some great advice(!) for cigars, but I'd be much obliged if you could each give me a short list of recommendations for me to look for when I go to Bill's after work today. I want to get 2 or 3 and spend around 20 to 30 dollars.

Thank you, gentlemen. :e4e:

This is a brief description from their website about the cigars that they offer:

Mr. Bill's Pipe & Tobacco Company

Mr. Bill's is proud to offer a wide selection of the finest cigars available. As we are not able to sell our selection of cigars on our web page due to tobacco internet laws, we offer this section for the convenience of our local customers. We typically stock the popular cigars below as well as the lastest best sellers: Mr. Bills Private Label, Acid, Alcazar, Alec Bradley, Aurturo Fuente, Ashton, Baccarat, Black Pearl, Cao, Cohiba, Cuban Delights, Cuesta-Rey, Don Jose, Havana Honey, Heaven, Hoyo de Monterrey, It's a Boy/Girl, Macanudo, Montecristo, Padron, Partagas, Playboy, Punch, Quorum, Romeo y Julieta, Spirit of Cuba, Tatiana, Te-Amo and many more.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I know folks who are dogmatic both ways on this issue.

I like leaving the band on, but a naked cigar wouldn't offend me.

On a seperate issue, do you shop at the Tobacco Leaf on west Alameda? That is where I started about 16 years ago.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
On a seperate issue, do you shop at the Tobacco Leaf on west Alameda? That is where I started about 16 years ago.
I've never been there but the place gets some pretty bad comments posted about it. Apparently one of the employees is a real jerk and follows customer's around like they are stealing from him.

Maybe it's a bad rap, not sure.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Here's my question:

This thread has provided some great advice(!) for cigars, but I'd be much obliged if you could each give me a short list of recommendations for me to look for when I go to Bill's after work today. I want to get 2 or 3 and spend around 20 to 30 dollars.
Do yourself a favor and start with the best so you can have a standard to judge by.

Best expensive cigar: Padron 1964 or 1926 Anniversario. Maybe start with the imperial size 6.5x50 which should set you back around $19. (I like the maduro but they come in natural wrapper as well)

Best cheap cigar: Brickhouse, get the rubosto size which will only set you back $5.

So for under $25 you will have a great standard to judge other cigars by.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Clearly we need a TOL convention here in Denver next year to celebrate our 15th year and have a cigar party as one of the festivities.

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
so you are now talking about the cost
and
I am too cheap to smoke anything nowadays
so
I was wondering at what point do you think the cost comes immoral
even
if you can ignore the health side of it

vegascowboy

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Do yourself a favor and start with the best so you can have a standard to judge by.

Best expensive cigar: Padron 1964 or 1926 Anniversario. Maybe start with the imperial size 6.5x50 which should set you back around $19. (I like the maduro but they come in natural wrapper as well)

Best cheap cigar: Brickhouse, get the rubosto size which will only set you back $5.

So for under $25 you will have a great standard to judge other cigars by.

Consider it done. I'll be away from the computer (after tonight) until Wednesday and then I'll report. :D