The cigar lounge

rocketman

Resident Rocket Surgeon
Hall of Fame
I haven't been very impressed with anything from Drew Estate. Too gimmicky in my opinion. Every cigar I have tried from them is good for about 10 minutes and then the rest of the cigar is horrible.

It tasted a little green to me, it might be good in 3 years from now but for now kinda tasted like a grassfire. It was constructed well, good draw, good burn, just lacked flavor. Kinda Nasty...:vomit: I don't think I will try anything else from them.

rocketman

Resident Rocket Surgeon
Hall of Fame
I bought a bundle of these El Cobre Double Fuerte Maduros . They are made by Oliva and have a 94 rating on the torpedos 6 x 52, same difference these are churchhills 7 x 50. All the reviews I read were that they are exceptional, they are supposed to be creamy cocoa, spice, medium to full body.This cigar is normally about $90.00-$100 for a bundle. I bid $60.00 and won so when they get here I'll let you know, sounds good...Heres a pic.

View attachment 16281 :thumb:

Last edited:

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
I bought a bundle of these El Cobre Double Fuerte Maduros . They are made by Oliva and have a 94 rating on the torpedos 6 x 52, same difference these are churchhills 7 x 50. All the reviews I read were that they are exceptional, they are supposed to be creamy cocoa, spice, medium to full body.This cigar is normally about $90.00-$100 for a bundle. I bid $60.00 and won so when they get here I'll let you know, sounds good...Heres a pic.

View attachment 16281 :thumb:
Awesome. Is that the first time you have used cigarauctioneer?

rocketman

Resident Rocket Surgeon
Hall of Fame
Awesome. Is that the first time you have used cigarauctioneer?

I actually went through Cigar Monster, they have a thing called name your own price. I started at $40.00 and went up in $5.00 incriments to $60.00 and they accepted the offer. It's a good thing that was as high as I was going to go on a cigar I have never tried, even though the Ratings and reviews were very good. Yes, Knight this is the first time I have done anything like this, I am also following auctions of cigars, and related stuff on this site http://www.famous-smoke.com/auctioneer/ . Cigar monster, Famous Smoke Shop, and the auctioneer are all related. Check out their auctions they auction a lot of Padron 1964 & 1926's there I noticed. I saw a box of 1964 Dipimatico's go for $249.00 this morning. That is pretty reasonable considering the price per stick and free shipping. I will say you need to know what you like, do some research, and if it looks good go for it. I have never tried the El Cobre but, I Know Oliva makes a good cigars which I have tried, so I took a shot in the dark. Nothing ventured nothing gained. These cigar auctions could get me in trouble..LOL, the wife doesn't bother me about it too much she knows it wouldn't help. :chuckle:

zoo22

On my back deck smoking a Red Dot Toro that a friend gave me the other day (b-day). About 1/2 in. I actually didn't expect to like it, but it's very smooth, very consistent. Great draw, great burn, 1.5-2 inch gorgeous ash... Lots of nice smoke. Earthy start/1st 3rd, and it's gotten a bit of a peppery after-kick now 1/2-way in, but for the most part surprisingly smooth and mellow. I'd take a pic but it's dark out here.

Edit: A bit more peppery/spicy the last third, especially around the band mark. Has a lasting spicy after-kick.

I smoked it to a nub, and it never got harsh.

Enjoyed it.

Last edited:

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
They are made by Oliva and have a 94 rating

2 things. The ratings in Cigar magazine and ​aficionado seem to be accurate. Strange considering it is subjective.

I also really like the Oliva that I have smoked which was the "O" and "G".

Vaquero45

Hall of Fame
...snip...
I smoked it to a nub, and it never got harsh.

Enjoyed it.

If I like a cigar, I'll ride it right down to the point where it burns my fingers and I cant hold it anymore, or it stops tasting good. :)
My favorites were/are Macanudo, Punch, Arturo Fuente. Actually some cheap ones are good too, the "backwoods" were good, and there were some other cheapies I liked too, I'll try to find a link to the green wrapped ones I liked. I can picture the box, just cant think of the name. :)
Added in edit.... Found it, it was AYC Grenadeirs cigars with Candela wrappers. Good stuff, and cheap. :) Not sure if they are still around, havent tried to buy in a long time.

As for pipes....
My "Missouri Meerschaum"s (corncob pipes) and Walgreens pipe weed, "toasted cavendish" are great for relaxing, and even better is my higher quality pipe tobbaco from Edwards or the Newsstand, and my briar churchwarden pipe I keep in my office, for when the day is done and I want to wind down. I love the churchwarden, 'cause it keeps the bowl out of your face, and it smokes cool. Not to mention I'd look cool with it sitting next to Gandalf and Bilbo at Bag End. :D

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I enjoy Rocky Patel myself. The other night I tried a Rocky Patel Vintage 1990 that was an excellent smoke.

That might be my favorite. The only problem is they were rolled and that is that. The 1992 is also really good.

I smoke the 60s and don't like the square cuts. Well, I don't care for any square cut, it is sort of wierd.

Yorzhik

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I was given a hand-carved box as a gift when I went to Russia. I saw it the other day and opened it... low and behold my pipe is in there. I'll have to fire that thing up when I get to sit with my son-and-law and he can show me how to do it right. Maybe I won't have to fiddle with it so much and can spend more time enjoying it.

rocketman

Resident Rocket Surgeon
Hall of Fame
2 things. The ratings in Cigar magazine and ​aficionado seem to be accurate. Strange considering it is subjective.

I also really like the Oliva that I have smoked which was the "O" and "G".

I agree it is subjective, you may love it, I may hate it. Depends on the tastes of the smoker... I had a couple Oliva's a long time ago and I don't recall which ones but, I too remember they were good, so I'm hopeful I will like these. They look and sound tasty.

That might be my favorite. The only problem is they were rolled and that is that. The 1992 is also really good.

I bought a couple of 1992's about a week ago ( I put up a pic) that was a fabulous cigar! I have the other one in the humidor, I will probobly smoke it soon, it beckons me every time I open the lid and see it..LOL

rocketman

Resident Rocket Surgeon
Hall of Fame
I ordered some Pinar Del Rio Seleccion Reserva Limitada the other night off Famous. I will post unboxing pics when they come in.

Man, that sounds like a good smoke Knight. I love trying new things, when they are good it is like finding buried treasure. Let me know how you like them, it sounds like you have a lot of the same tastes in cigars that I have.
I buy cigars at my friends shop to support him in his business also. Over the years I put cigars away in a private box in his humidor, I usually buy a new one and smoke it so, I have accumulated a bunch of cigars in this box, some aged as long as 3-4 years. I brought some home cause the box was getting full. Right now I am smoking a Chateu Fuente Natural that I bought no less than 3 years ago. Oh my gosh what a fantastic stick. This thing is smooth, creamy, nutty, just awesome. Cigars like wine only get better with age.

rocketman

Resident Rocket Surgeon
Hall of Fame
Just bought this five pack sampler for $16.95, has anybody tried these? they are Rocky Patel Cuban Blend Torpedo's they are customer rated a 91. The price was right I thought for roughly $3.00 a stick it was worth the risk. We will see....
View attachment 16287

zoo22

Just bought this five pack sampler for $16.95, has anybody tried these? they are Rocky Patel Cuban Blend Torpedo's they are customer rated a 91. The price was right I thought for roughly $3.00 a stick it was worth the risk. We will see....
View attachment 16287

Sounds like a good risk.

I've been thinking of picking up some of the RP Petit Coronas. Anyone have any experience w/them?

This thread's inspired me to get the humidor back in shape and stocked.

vegascowboy

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I have a question about humidores....

I looked around two days ago at various shops in order to price out small humidores.

The LEAST expensive that I found (for a descent one) was $39.00. Is that a good price? Should I keep looking? I really want one, but some of them looked a little iffy.

For what should I look in a good (small) humidor? Some of them seemed very cheaply made and I don't want to invest in one unless I have a good recommendation.

Thanks everyone.