the church

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
How trustworthy you are is irrelevant. The problem is SIN... not ones character.

that is nonsense

-did you read what you posted?
-did you hear about the angels that rebelled?

-the church teaches what you do is what you are
-and
-that is relevant

Nihilo

BANNED
Banned
that is nonsense

-did you read what you posted?
-did you hear about the angels that rebelled?

-the church teaches what you do is what you are
-and
-that is relevant
That's right, because it logically necessarily implies nonfictional, real human freedom.
Spoiler
The Church goes to great lengths to explain exactly what this means, which is truly edifying because it is a complex and complicated topic of theology; anthropology; the study of man, especially in their [sic] ([sic]) relation to the Maker.
Spoiler
(Divine providence is the complementary doctrine to human freedom, along with certain explicit conditions that can render our ability to choose freely diminished, attenuated and even eliminated all together.

The Church teaches and believes today that these conditions are widespread among people within the nonfictional, real material world. It goes without saying that the Church believes that this is a grave matter, because of the immediate, fundamental human injustice that exists and is cultivated, because of and only because of these conditions!

Think it through. The more these conditions exist and are cultivated, the less human freedom there is being exercised in the nonfictional, real material world. This is a very bad thing; there are more zombie-like choices being made today than when these certain explicit conditions are not widespread, but are contained and controlled, if not eliminated utterly---people who don't believe in human freedom are the product of the prevalence of these certain explicit conditions.

And logically, the more prevalent that determinism is, the worse widespread are these conditions.)
If you don't believe in human freedom then you should believe in the papacy. Otherwise, I challenge that (generally) you do not actually reject the notion of human freedom, because if you do, then you'd (specifically) believe in the popes.

Who teach human freedom.

zzub

BANNED
Banned
Do you love God's word or what ?

Matthew 18:6 ESV

But whoever causes one of these little ones who believe in me to sin, it would be better for him to have a great millstone fastened around his neck and to be drowned in the depth of the sea

Nihilo

BANNED
Banned
Jesus called Peter "petros," which is of masculine gender and means "a PIECE of rock," distinct from the word Jesus used to describe the "rock" upon which he would build his church---"petra," of feminine gender and meaning "a mass of rock."

Jesus was not using synonymous terms.

That the apostles did not understand Jesus' statement to signify that Peter was the mass of rock, is evident from the fact that they later disputed about who seemed to be the greatest among them. (Mark 9:33-35; Luke 22:24-26) There would have been no basis for such disputing had Peter been given the primacy as the mass of rock on which the church was to be built.

The Scriptures clearly show that as foundation stones, ALL THE APOSTLES ARE EQUAL. All of them, including Peter, rest upon Jesus Christ as the foundation cornerstone (Ephesians 2:19-22; Revelation 21:2,9-14) Peter himself identified the mass of rock (petra) on which the church is built as being CHRIST. (I Peter 2:4-8)
The Lord called Peter Cephas, and a Cephas is a Cephas, and "UPON THIS CEPHAS" means Cephas.

Therefore your idea is an error. "Incorrectamundo."

:)

dodge

The Lord called Peter Cephas, and a Cephas is a Cephas, and "UPON THIS CEPHAS" means Cephas.

Do you see Peter in the following verse given any "special place" above any other Apostle ? No you do not and YOU are in error.

Eph 2:20
And are built upon the foundation of the apostles and prophets, Jesus Christ himself being the chief corner stone;

Right Divider

Body part

That's silly.

The WORDS what Jesus used were TWO DIFFERENT words.
Matt 16:18 (AKJV/PCE)
(16:18) And I say also unto thee, That thou art Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church; and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it.

Peter is:
G4074 Πέτρος Petros (pe'-tros) n/p.​
1. a (piece of) rock.​
2. as a name, Petrus, an apostle.​
{larger than G3037}​
[apparently a primary word]​
KJV: Peter, rock​
Compare: G3037, G2786

The ROCK that Jesus will build His church is:
G4073 πέτρα petra (pe'-tra) n.​
1. (properly) a mass of solid rock (such as a solidly massive foundation or as jutting upward for hewing out a large family chamber tomb).​
2. (person) The Solid Rock (of Ages), Jesus, Yeshua.​
3. (Note) The solid rock is in distinct contrast to a piece of rock or a rock fragment.​
{literally or figuratively}​
[feminine of the same as G4074]​
KJV: rock​
Root(s): G4074​
See also: H6697​

One is a piece of rock (Peter) the OTHER is a MASS of SOLID ROCK; that is CHRIST!

It is clearly a GREEK "Play on words".

SaulToPaul 2

That's silly.

The WORDS what Jesus used were TWO DIFFERENT words.
Matt 16:18 (AKJV/PCE)
(16:18) And I say also unto thee, That thou art Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church; and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it.

Peter is:
G4074 Πέτρος Petros (pe'-tros) n/p.​
1. a (piece of) rock.​
2. as a name, Petrus, an apostle.​
{larger than G3037}​
[apparently a primary word]​
KJV: Peter, rock​
Compare: G3037, G2786

The ROCK that Jesus will build His church is:
G4073 πέτρα petra (pe'-tra) n.​
1. (properly) a mass of solid rock (such as a solidly massive foundation or as jutting upward for hewing out a large family chamber tomb).​
2. (person) The Solid Rock (of Ages), Jesus, Yeshua.​
3. (Note) The solid rock is in distinct contrast to a piece of rock or a rock fragment.​
{literally or figuratively}​
[feminine of the same as G4074]​
KJV: rock​
Root(s): G4074​
See also: H6697​

One is a piece of rock (Peter) the OTHER is a MASS of SOLID ROCK; that is CHRIST!

It is clearly a GREEK "Play on words".

Yeah, but he probably spoke it in Aramaic!
:D

I've heard all of the arguments on EWTN.

Wick Stick

The laity are the sheep. The pastors are the shepherds. Now that I think about it... isn't that what the word 'pastor' means?