The "Church" at Acts 2 is NOT the Body of Christ

Jerry Shugart

Let us look at this verse:

"Praising God, and having favour with all the people. And the Lord added to the church (ekklesia) daily such as should be saved" (Acts 2:47).​

The Greek word translated "church" is ekklesia and that word can be found in the Greek version of the Old Testament (the LXX). Alfred Edersheim, a Jewish convert to Christianity and a respected Bible scholar, wrote the following:

"Nor would the term 'Church' sound strange in Jewish ears. The same Greek word (ekklesia), as the equivalent of the Hebrew 'Qahal,' 'convocation,' 'the called,' occurs in the LXX. rendering of the Old Testament, and in 'the Wisdom of the Son of Sirach' and was apparently in familiar use at that time. In Hebrew use it referred to Israel, not in their national but in their religious unity"
[emphasis added] (Edersheim, The Life and Times of Jesus the Messiah [Grand Rapids, MI: Wm. M. Eerdmans Publishing 1971] Book 3, Chapter 37, p.84).​

According to Edersheim the Greek word translated "church" was in familiar use and "it referred to Israel...in their religious unity."

Next, let us look at the events here which were in regard to the ekklesia of Acts 2:

"For these are not drunken, as ye suppose, seeing it is but the third hour of the day. But this is that which was spoken by the prophet Joel; And it shall come to pass in the last days, saith God, I will pour out of my Spirit upon all flesh: and your sons and your daughters shall prophesy, and your young men shall see visions, and your old men shall dream dreams"
(Acts 2:16-17).​

The following prophecy was totally in regard to the religious unity of Israel and Israel alone:

"Blow the trumpet in Zion, sanctify a fast, call a solemn assembly: Gather the people, sanctify the congregation (ekklesia) , assemble the elders, gather the children, and those that suck the breasts...And ye shall know that I am in the midst of Israel, and that I am the LORD your God, and none else: and my people shall never be ashamed. And it shall come to pass afterward, that I will pour out my spirit upon all flesh; and your sons and your daughters shall prophesy, your old men shall dream dreams, your young men shall see visions" (Joel 2:16,27-28).​

So the ekklesia mentioned at Acts 2:47 is referring to Israel in her religious unity and it is not referring to the Body of Christ.

Last edited:

daqq

Let us look at this verse:
"Praising God, and having favour with all the people. And the Lord added to the church (ekklesia) daily such as should be saved" (Acts 2:47).​

The Greek word translated "church" is ekklesia and that word can be found in the Greek version of the Old Testament (the LXX). Alfred Edersheim, a Jewish convert to Christianity and a respected Bible scholar, wrote the following:

"Nor would the term 'Church' sound strange in Jewish ears. The same Greek word (ekklesia), as the equivalent of the Hebrew 'Qahal,' 'convocation,' 'the called,' occurs in the LXX. rendering of the Old Testament, and in 'the Wisdom of the Son of Sirach' and was apparently in familiar use at that time. In Hebrew use it referred to Israel, not in their national but in their religious unity"
[emphasis added] (Edersheim, The Life and Times of Jesus the Messiah [Grand Rapids, MI: Wm. M. Eerdmans Publishing 1971] Book 3, Chapter 37, p.84).​

According to Edersheim the Greek word translated "church" was in familiar use and "it referred to Israel...in their religious unity."

Next, let us look at the events here which were in regard to the ekklesia of Acts 2:

"For these are not drunken, as ye suppose, seeing it is but the third hour of the day. But this is that which was spoken by the prophet Joel; And it shall come to pass in the last days, saith God, I will pour out of my Spirit upon all flesh: and your sons and your daughters shall prophesy, and your young men shall see visions, and your old men shall dream dreams"

The following prophecy was totally in regard to the religious unity of Israel and Israel alone:

"Blow the trumpet in Zion, sanctify a fast, call a solemn assembly: Gather the people, sanctify the congregation (ekklesia) , assemble the elders, gather the children, and those that suck the breasts...And ye shall know that I am in the midst of Israel, and that I am the LORD your God, and none else: and my people shall never be ashamed. And it shall come to pass afterward, that I will pour out my spirit upon all flesh; and your sons and your daughters shall prophesy, your old men shall dream dreams, your young men shall see visions" (Joel 2:16,27-28).​

So the ekklesia mentioned at Acts 2:47 is referring to Israel in her religious unity and it is not referring to the Body of Christ.

So where do you find the scripture authority to separate and divide the body of Messiah from the great congregation of all Israel? Do you not believe that Messiah is the Messiah of Israel? Do you not know that Moshe was Kohen Gadol after the order of Melki-Tzedek above Ahron? Yhoshua was the next in line, (not a Levite), for he was placed BEFORE Eleazar and the whole congregation. Thus the Tanach "body of the saints" was the "body of Moses" while the new covenant "body of the saints" is the "body of Messiah" and the Tanach "body of Moses" was folded into the "body of Messiah" at Golgotha, (Matthew 27:52-53). Your doctrine is cutting you off from the Root.

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER

And the Lord added to the church daily those who were being saved. (Acts 2:47)

And He is the head of the body, the church, who is the beginning, the firstborn from the dead, that in all things He may have the preeminence. (Colossians 1:18)

For as the body is one and has many members, but all the members of that one body, being many, are one body, so also is Christ. For by one Spirit we were all baptized into one body — whether Jews or Greeks, whether slaves or free — and have all been made to drink into one Spirit. For in fact the body is not one member but many. (1 Corinthians 12:12-14)

daqq

And He is the head of the body, the church, who is the beginning, the firstborn from the dead, that in all things He may have the preeminence. (Colossians 1:18)

For as the body is one and has many members, but all the members of that one body, being many, are one body, so also is Christ. For by one Spirit we were all baptized into one body — whether Jews or Greeks, whether slaves or free — and have all been made to drink into one Spirit. For in fact the body is not one member but many. (1 Corinthians 12:12-14)

And I suspect this goes right along with that:

1 Corinthians 11:3
3 And I wish you to know that the head of every man is the Messiah, and the head of woman is the man, and the head of the Messiah is Elohim.

Evil.Eye.<(I)>

BANNED
Banned
So where do you find the scripture authority to separate and divide the body of Messiah from the great congregation of all Israel? Do you not believe that Messiah is the Messiah of Israel? Do you not know that Moshe was Kohen Gadol after the order of Melki-Tzedek above Ahron? Yhoshua was the next in line, (not a Levite), for he was placed BEFORE Eleazar and the whole congregation. Thus the Tanach "body of the saints" was the "body of Moses" while the new covenant "body of the saints" is the "body of Messiah" and the Tanach "body of Moses" was folded into the "body of Messiah" at Golgotha, (Matthew 27:52-53). Your doctrine is cutting you off from the Root.

Romans 11 is your answer.

Enemies of the Gospel cut off by their unbelief. Israel carnally cursed until its reemergence... currently the groom has the grace based grafted in.

The verbiage of Romans 9-11 makes it clear that there is an unbelieving body of ancestral election that is to be re grafted in to yield an even greater abundance in "harvest"

This is now crucial to distinguish as Israel has returned as prophesied.

Jerry Shugart

So where do you find the scripture authority to separate and divide the body of Messiah from the great congregation of all Israel?

When the prophecies which I quoted from the book of Joel will be fulfilled the Jews will be a special people to the LORD:

"For thou art an holy people unto the LORD thy God: the LORD thy God hath chosen thee to be a special people unto himself, above all people that are upon the face of the earth" (Deut.7:6).​

However, in the Body of Christ the only special people are believers and in the Body the Jewish believers and the Gentile believers are on the same level:

"For as many of you as have been baptized into Christ have put on Christ. There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither bond nor free, there is neither male nor female: for ye are all one in Christ Jesus" (Gal.3:27-28).​

Last edited:

Jerry Shugart

All you are doing is offering your "assumptions" as your "proof."

daqq

"Blow the trumpet in Zion, sanctify a fast, call a solemn assembly: Gather the people, sanctify the congregation (ekklesia) , assemble the elders, gather the children, and those that suck the breasts...And ye shall know that I am in the midst of Israel, and that I am the LORD your God, and none else: and my people shall never be ashamed. And it shall come to pass afterward, that I will pour out my spirit upon all flesh; and your sons and your daughters shall prophesy, your old men shall dream dreams, your young men shall see visions" (Joel 2:16,27-28).

When the prophecies which I quoted from the book of Joel will be fulfilled the Jews will be a special people to the LORD:

"For thou art an holy people unto the LORD thy God: the LORD thy God hath chosen thee to be a special people unto himself, above all people that are upon the face of the earth" (Deut.7:6).​

However, in the Body of Christ the only special people are believers and in the Body the Jewish believers and the Gentile believers are on the same level:
"For as many of you as have been baptized into Christ have put on Christ. There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither bond nor free, there is neither male nor female: for ye are all one in Christ Jesus" (Gal.3:27-28).​

Joel 2:27-32
27 And you shall know that I am in the midst of Yisrael, and that I am YHWH your Elohim, and none else: and My people shall never be ashamed.
28 And it shall come to pass afterward, that I will pour out My Spirit upon all flesh; and your sons and your daughters shall prophesy, your old men shall dream dreams, your young men shall see visions:
29 And also upon the servants and upon the handmaids in those days will I pour out My Spirit.
30 And I will show wonders in the heavens and in the earth, blood, and fire, and pillars of smoke.
31 The sun shall be turned into darkness, and the moon into blood, before the great and awesome day of YHWH come.
32 And it shall come to pass, that whosoever shall call on the name of YHWH shall be delivered: for in mount Zion and in Yerushalem shall be deliverance, as YHWH has said, and in the remnant whom YHWH shall call.

Acts 2:16-21
16 But this is that which was spoken by the prophet Joel:
17 And it shall come to pass in the last days, says Elohim, I will pour out My Spirit upon all flesh: and your sons and your daughters shall prophesy, and your young men shall see visions, and your old men shall dream dreams:
18 And on My servants and on My handmaidens I will pour out in those days of My Spirit, and they shall prophesy:
19 And I will show wonders in the heavens above, and signs in the earth beneath; blood, and fire, and vapor of smoke:
20 The sun shall be turned into darkness, and the moon into blood, before that great and awesome day of YHWH come:
21 And it shall come to pass, that whosoever shall call on the name of YHWH shall be delivered.

Revelation 6:12-17
12 And I saw when he opened the sixth seal, and there was a great earthquake; and the sun became black as sackcloth of hair, and the whole moon became as blood: [Joel 2:31, Acts 2:20]
13 And the stars of the heavens fell unto the earth, as a fig tree casts her unripe figs when she is shaken of a great wind.
14 And the heavens were parted as a scroll when it is coiled; and every mountain and island were moved out of their places.
15 And the kings of the earth, and the princes, and the chief captains, and the rich, and the strong, and every bondman and freeman, hid themselves in the caves and in the rocks of the mountains:
16 And they say to the mountains and to the rocks, Fall on us, and hide us [Hos 10:8, Luke 23:30] from the face of him seated on the throne, and from the fury of the Lamb:
17 For the great day of their wrath is come; and who is able to stand?

Hosea 10:8
8 The high places also of Aven, the sin of Yisrael, shall be destroyed: the thorn and the thistle shall come up on their altars; and they shall say to the mountains, Cover us; and to the hills, Fall on us [Rev 6:16, Luke 23:30].

Luke 23:27-33
27 And there followed him a great multitude of the people, and of women who bewailed and lamented him.
28 But Yeshua turning unto them said, Daughters of Yerushalem, weep not for me, but weep for yourselves, and for your children:
29 ​For behold, the days are come in which they say, Blessed are the barren, and the wombs that never bare, and the breasts that never gave suck:
30 When shall they begin to say to the mountains, Fall on us; and to the hills, Cover us [Hos 10:8, Rev 6:16].
31 For if they do these things in a green tree, what shall be done in the dry?
32 And there were also two others, malefactors, led with him to be put to death.
33 And when they were come to the place, which is called Kranion-Skull, there they crucified him, and the malefactors, one on the right hand, and the other on the left.

Acts 2:21 W/H
21 και εσται πας ος εαν επικαλεσηται το ονομα κυριου σωθησεται

Romans 10:13 W/H
13 πας γαρ ος αν επικαλεσηται το ονομα κυριου σωθησεται

You see? No article with the Name, (κυριου, genitive case, "of YHWH"), which means they are following the lead from the Septuagint when it comes to the replacement word used in Greek for the Tetragrammaton. That practice is laid out in the Septuagint due to the fact that they carried it over from the Hebrew which does not tolerate the article with personal pronouns.

Romans 10:13
13 For whosoever shall call upon the name of YHWH shall be delivered [Joel 2:32, Acts 2:21].

Evil.Eye.<(I)>

BANNED
Banned
27 And you shall know that I am in the midst of Yisrael, and that I am YHWH your Elohim, and none else: and My people shall never be ashamed.
28 And it shall come to pass afterward, that I will pour out My Spirit upon all flesh; and your sons and your daughters shall prophesy, your old men shall dream dreams, your young men shall see visions:
29 And also upon the servants and upon the handmaids in those days will I pour out My Spirit.
30 And I will show wonders in the heavens and in the earth, blood, and fire, and pillars of smoke.
31 The sun shall be turned into darkness, and the moon into blood, before the great and awesome day of YHWH come.
32 And it shall come to pass, that whosoever shall call on the name of YHWH shall be delivered: for in mount Zion and in Yerushalem shall be deliverance, as YHWH has said, and in the remnant whom YHWH shall call.

17 And it shall come to pass in the last days, says Elohim, I will pour out My Spirit upon all flesh: and your sons and your daughters shall prophesy, and your young men shall see visions, and your old men shall dream dreams:
18 And on My servants and on My handmaidens I will pour out in those days of My Spirit, and they shall prophesy:
19 And I will show wonders in the heavens above, and signs in the earth beneath; blood, and fire, and vapor of smoke:
20 The sun shall be turned into darkness, and the moon into blood, before that great and awesome day of YHWH come:
21 And it shall come to pass, that whosoever shall call on the name of YHWH shall be delivered.

12 And I saw when he opened the sixth seal, and there was a great earthquake; and the sun became black as sackcloth of hair, and the whole moon became as blood: [Joel 2:31, Acts 2:20]
13 And the stars of the heavens fell unto the earth, as a fig tree casts her unripe figs when she is shaken of a great wind.
14 And the heavens were parted as a scroll when it is coiled; and every mountain and island were moved out of their places.
15 And the kings of the earth, and the princes, and the chief captains, and the rich, and the strong, and every bondman and freeman, hid themselves in the caves and in the rocks of the mountains:
16 And they say to the mountains and to the rocks, Fall on us, and hide us [Hos 10:8, Luke 23:30] from the face of him seated on the throne, and from the fury of the Lamb:

8 The high places also of Aven, the sin of Yisrael, shall be destroyed: the thorn and the thistle shall come up on their altars; and they shall say to the mountains, Cover us; and to the hills, Fall on us [Rev 6:16, Luke 23:30].

27 And there followed him a great multitude of the people, and of women who bewailed and lamented him.
28 But Yeshua turning unto them said, Daughters of Yerushalem, weep not for me, but weep for yourselves, and for your children:
29 ​For behold, the days are come in which they say, Blessed are the barren, and the wombs that never bare, and the breasts that never gave suck:
30 When shall they begin to say to the mountains, Fall on us; and to the hills, Cover us [Hos 10:8, Rev 6:16].
32 And there were also two others, malefactors, led with him to be put to death.
33 And when they were come to the place, which is called Kranion-Skull, there they crucified him, and the malefactors, one on the right hand, and the other on the left.

You see? No article with the Name, (κυριου, genitive case, "of YHWH"), which means they are following the lead from the Septuagint when it comes to the replacement word used in Greek for the Tetragrammaton. That practice is laid out in the Septuagint due to the fact that they carried it over from the Hebrew which does not tolerate the article with personal pronouns.

13 For whosoever shall call upon the name of YHWH shall be delivered [Joel 2:32, Acts 2:21].

Of all cannon... even the cannon that can be asserted that we have discussed... who is the most important being discussed and quoted? As in who is the highest authority of all, without question... in all cannon?

daqq

Of all cannon... even the cannon that can be asserted that we have discussed... who is the most important being discussed and quoted? As in who is the highest authority of all, without question... in all cannon?

Okay, I'll bite, in my opinion that would of course be the Father and His Messiah.

Last edited:

Jerry Shugart

All you have shown me is that you know how to 'copy and paste."

daqq

Here is some more copy and paste for you:

Isaiah 40:1-3 KJV
1 Comfort ye, comfort ye my people, saith your God.
2 Speak ye comfortably to Jerusalem, and cry unto her,
that her warfare is accomplished, that her iniquity is pardoned: for she hath received of the LORD'S hand double for all her sins.
3 The voice of him that crieth in the wilderness, Prepare ye the way of the LORD, make straight in the desert a highway for our God [Matthew 3:3, Mark 1:3, Luke 3:4].

Can you see now? Warmongers and fleshmongers will never see it.
No matter how many times you copy and paste it . . . :chuckle:

daqq

Here is some more copy and paste for you @Jerry Shugart: again, where do you find the scripture authority to separate and divide the body of Messiah from the great congregation of all Israel as you have taken the liberty to do in your OP? Please do some of your own copying and pasting and quote some scripture.

steko

LIFETIME MEMBER
This is the church, well......one of 'em:

Act 19:32 Some therefore cried one thing, and some another: for the assembly[ekklesia] was confused; and the more part knew not wherefore they were come together.

Evil.Eye.<(I)>

BANNED
Banned
Somehow I knew this copy and paste would come in handy:

:)

Nice! Awesome...

Now let's stay cozy with the same itty bitty questions but jump back to 100 bc. If you had the TaNaKH available...

And I asked you... in all the TaNaKH, who is the central being of discussion...

How would you answer?

daqq

Jerry, it appears you are quickly getting buried under yet another mountain of evidence:

Here is some more copy and paste for you:

Isaiah 40:1-3 KJV
1 Comfort ye, comfort ye my people, saith your God.
2 Speak ye comfortably to Jerusalem, and cry unto her,
that her warfare is accomplished, that her iniquity is pardoned: for she hath received of the LORD'S hand double for all her sins.
3 The voice of him that crieth in the wilderness, Prepare ye the way of the LORD, make straight in the desert a highway for our God [Matthew 3:3, Mark 1:3, Luke 3:4].

Can you see now? Warmongers and fleshmongers will never see it.
No matter how many times you copy and paste it . . . :chuckle:

More copy and paste related to Isaiah 40:1-3 quoted above:

Jeremiah 16:14-18 KJV
14 Therefore, behold, the days come, saith the LORD, that it shall no more be said, The LORD liveth, that brought up the children of Israel out of the land of Egypt;
15 But, The LORD liveth, that brought up the children of Israel from the land of the north, and from all the lands whither he had driven them: and I will bring them again into their land that I gave unto their fathers.
16 Behold, I will send for many fishers, saith the LORD, and they shall fish them; and after will I send for many hunters, and they shall hunt them from every mountain, and from every hill, and out of the holes of the rocks.
17 For mine eyes are upon all their ways: they are not hid from my face, neither is their iniquity hid from mine eyes.
18 And first I will recompense their iniquity and their sin double; because they have defiled my land, they have filled mine inheritance with the carcases of their detestable and abominable things.

Matthew 4:18-19
18 And Yeshua, walking by the sea of Galilee, saw two brethren, Simon called Peter, and Andrew his brother, casting a net into the sea: for they were fishers.
19 And he saith unto them, Follow me, and I will make you fishers of men [Jer 16:16].

Mark 1:16-17
16 Now as he walked by the sea of Galilee, he saw Simon and Andrew his brother casting a net into the sea: for they were fishers.
17 And Yeshua said to them, Come after me, and I will make you to become fishers of men
[Jer 16:16].

daqq

Nice! Awesome...

Now let's stay cozy with the same itty bitty questions but jump back to 100 bc. If you had the TaNaKH available...

And I asked you... in all the TaNaKH, who is the central being of discussion...

How would you answer?

The Father, as HaNavi Yirmeyahu says He desires to be called, (Jeremiah 3:4).
In fact you cannot be placed among His sons if you do not do so, (Jeremiah 3:19). :)

:sheep: